By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Trim reversal in OpenTx
05/12/2019 18:13:40

I too got caught out like that. Taranis is not for me, anyone want to buy it?

Thread: Torque rods vs wing servos
05/12/2019 18:10:03

Torque rods and kwik links yuk! Two servos and ball links for me other than on drag brakes. Horns under a wing rarely get ripped off on landing.

Thread: TN Concorde
05/12/2019 17:56:46

I have now cut down all of the ESC wiring and got it through to the battery/Rx hatch. Time to smoke test using a servo tester and a Watt meter. It all works but by Jove does everything get hot quickly. At full power the 4500 3s pack soon ran down quite a bit but on reducing power it picked up. Not a true in flight test but I wanted to know the limits of it. Lots of thrust it would appear. Before I publish my Watt meter findings has anyone else got to this stage yet and are you using 3 or 4s fans?

By cutting the red +ve wire to the multi connector on three of the ESC`s I am hoping that the one left will power the seven digital servos OK but if not I shall have to fit a UBEC.

03/12/2019 21:42:27

Here are my sunk in wheels as I shall probably fit them.

concorde 006.jpg

When I put in the ESC power wiring I included some draw strings for the ESC cables but being a complete twerp left some tape on holding them together and the only way to remove it was to cut a hole in the bottom of the fus!

concorde 005.jpg

In order to keep some wiring clutter out of the intake airflow I am reducing the length of the ESC to fans and the ESC to Rx cable connectors since these will not pull through the rib holes. This is the first one.

concorde 004.jpg

concorde 003.jpg

01/12/2019 20:21:12

Now getting on quite well-ish. By performing a lot of butchery and reversing the wheel positions I have got the mains well and truly sunk in. The problem now is with the Power Fun fans which are proving to be real `fun` to install since the bell mouths must be a little larger than the FMS units and are requiring some material to be removed from the nacelles. I have been forced to remove them and will need to re fit once the fans are in position. Despite heating them, the 250 micron acetate thrust tubes are taking forever to glue together with RCM glue.

Regarding the fus., other than the nose I decided on 1/16th balsa sheeting instead of 3/32nd and glad that I did when it came to the tail cone.

Thread: 'Starloc' adhesives.
27/11/2019 18:38:58

Shame because I favoured their products as well.

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
27/11/2019 18:35:30

I would not worry about it on a model of that size. You would probably do more harm than good removing the sheeting ( if even possible). The wing sections on the small TN Concorde I am building are, shall we say, not quite the same on each side but I cannot see this making a significant difference to it. I have found in the past that even a small amount of trim will sort out what appears to be a large warp. Best of luck.

Thread: Foam Wing Cutter
27/11/2019 09:29:45

Having once tried veneer, which is prone to splitting, I now only use 1/16th balsa. The joined and sanded sheets and one side of the core are coated with slightly thinned Copydex, left to dry completely then the core carefully rolled over the balsa. You only get one go at this so maybe epoxy is a better bet, using the shutts (offcuts) and weights (sand bags).

24/11/2019 20:50:39

Thanks, the photos are not always very clear. I somehow glued my sides to the wings at the same time with ca. Other than F9 which is not quite vertical - does not matter, it has gone together OK. I am unused to skinning a wing underside sheet by sheet but soon learned to use aliphatic and some tape over the joins. I am also adding small strips of balsa on the inside in an attempt to keep the sheets level, around the wiring exits as well.

I wish that TN had said not to add the bottom stringer before sheeting but some `Uncure` got mine off. Got nearly as far forward as the u/c so far.

Thread: Best way to hinge control surfaces
23/11/2019 20:19:13

What`s wrong with simple ca hinges? They can be cut down for smaller models as I do. I would not trust film on anything other than a glider/ small electric.

Thread: Foam Wing Cutter
23/11/2019 20:14:01

My simple bow is a length of polypipe with wooden arms at each end extending up and down from the wire which is tensioned with a couple of lengths of strimmer line and a turniquet ( how do you spell that?) of piano wire in the centre which is held in position by the pipe once wound up to tension. The cutting wire came from Nexus. Power is from a huge 24V transformer which I sort of obtained and the temperature of the wire is set by winding the ends round the wooden arms until just right. Sounds more complex than it actually is.

23/11/2019 17:24:31

Just sheeting the wing underside, but on the build pics there seems to be a larger than required cut out around F11, surrounded by what appears to be balsa strip. Any ideas as to why?

Yesterday I made up the wiring looms using 10awg from the battery then splitting it four ways with 14awg to the esc`s. I then programmed the YEP esc`s and checked the fans, the last of which out of the packaging turned out to be 64mm, not 50. Great. I may just keep it and do an enlarged Gnat rather than send it back.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/11/2019 21:44:38

Best plug spanners in the world came with MDS engines would you believe!

22/11/2019 09:56:02

I remember asking Jon about the possibility of a 50 ish motor to replace the very noisy 2st petrol in my Hurri. a few years ago. It would have to turn a 23x8 at at least 6000rpm though. The idea of a very narrow angle in line V appeals to me.

21/11/2019 09:01:44

Nice to know that they could still be around.

20/11/2019 15:28:30

Jon, I have a pair of Eurokits air units, 90 degrees and ex Lanc. if you are interested. Same as the ones in my 1:5 Hurricane.

18/11/2019 14:59:12

Don`t blame you for stating as above Jon. I was just saying what worked for me on that motor but cannot recommend it. I did try this briefly on a 180 but it was a lousy pressed spinner and, shall we say, did not like it.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
17/11/2019 16:19:34

Mine turned out spot on 1" forward of the top wing TE with a 155. Changing to a 180 made no real difference in this respect. I just put the servos wherever they fitted best and the battery in front of the bottom wing, modern gear being light enough to make little difference. Covering is Solartex.

16/11/2019 21:52:19

Thanks Alan, but it was the other side of the mains I was interested in. I think I now know how I shall make mine.

I avoided those MCR series units because the latest ones I bought would not work with certain Rx`s which only output a 3V pulse instead of the required 5V; older ones are fine. Also, I have found that because the geometry is hopelessly wrong, the nose legs twist on retraction causing them to foul.

16/11/2019 15:32:22

Here is my effort at the nose leg which seems to work quite well. When the wheels eventually arrive I shall probably make it a twin and can get on with the mains.

concorde 001.jpg

concorde 002.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us