By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/06/2019 15:26:31

Elevenish probably.

22/06/2019 10:37:55

It is the moment of increasing or decreasing the power that shows this up before the model has time to change speed. We shall see tomorrow if my temporary fix works.

22/06/2019 10:00:47

Hi Chris,

This is now my 4th Spit. and none of the others or my two Hurricanes exhibit this trait. It is supposedly identical to my other 72" one apart from the lighter weight. I have decided to give it one more try, this time with throttle mixed to elevator (switched mix in case I have it all wrong since I have had to guess at the various mix points). Will probably have to wait until tomorrow because of a forecast unflyable wind direction today.

21/06/2019 22:27:48

Hi Jon,

I took my new Spit. up again today hoping that I had sorted out the problems regarding cg and retracts, prior to taking it to W&W. Looks like I have the thrust line wrong since it climbs like hell on full power then if trimmed for such it similarly dives when on idle. Question is, I think that I bought a 180 size mount from you for the original and do you have another which you could bring next weekend? I need one to modify in order to keep the spinner central. Tried to phone just after lunch but forgot that you were not there.

Will have to put the motor back into the old model for the event.

Thread: Confirmation - The World Really Has Gone Mad......
20/06/2019 22:23:54

Locally there is a new link road, single carriageway with a wide cycle lane/footpath on one side, about a mile long. Cycle clubs about 30 strong think that it is beneath them to use it and regularly ride three abreast on the road.

I recently came across a pair on a country road just wide enough to justify a central white line. One was riding on the right hand side of the line and although he knew that I was driving behind him he refused to move over so when I got a chance I dropped down into 2nd gear and shot past giving him a well deserved blast of black diesel smoke. Very satisfying. By the way, I also own a bicycle.

About time that cyclists have to pay a £16.50 registration fee and take a test, never mind us.

Thread: Wing profile shape
19/06/2019 21:56:25

Always a problem, but usually only if wing fairings are involved. I normally coat the wing with Sellotape then apply silicone sealant to the fus, bolt the wing on and leave for a day. The important thing is to get the wing LE and TE centre lines to the plan.

Thread: The Ohmen
19/06/2019 19:40:56

I think that you are worrying about nothing. There are huge holes where the pilots sit. No need for anything else.

Thread: Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog
19/06/2019 09:16:37

Thanks Peter.

Thread: Li`l Cub
18/06/2019 19:57:30

Thanks, I did not know that it existed but have now read it. Lots of useful info.

Thread: Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog
18/06/2019 19:53:51

Peter, I am building one and have started a thread under `Li`l Cub`. The slat layering puzzles me since I have now seen reference to three combinations of 1/32 and 1/16 balsa, none of which correspond to the thickness shown on the plan, so what did you actually use please?

Thread: Dambusters Raid
17/06/2019 22:46:38

I mistakenly thought that SABS meant Sperry Automatic Bomb Sight. When I was a kid (still am at heart) you could buy all sorts of things like these as war surplus. Full of motors and gears.

17/06/2019 21:09:49

I have not done a blow by blow build thread on this but will keep you posted as it progresses. If the i/c option does not work out then it is easily converted to leccy. I shall not bother with a dummy engine as yet for that reason.

Thread: Dambusters Raid
17/06/2019 21:04:26

Martin H, you beat me to it. This is a fascinating book and, as you say, devotes most of the text to what they did after the dams raid. Obviously a lot of it is guessed at since this did not become declassified until 1993 (50 years after). Lots about a new type of bomb sight which could not be named at the time but I would think that it was the Sperry bomb sight computer to enable accurate dropping of the Tallboys and Grand Slams.

I visited the Mohne and Eder dams in 1975 when I went to Switzerland to spectate at the F3A world champs, spending the next week in Germany. You could just about make out where the repairs were made. They are a major tourist attraction. I do not speak German but the captions to the photos of Guy Gibson there were obviously none too complimentary.

Jon, I have lent my copy of Paul Brickhill`s `The Dambusters` to Sid in our club but if you ask I am sure that he would let you have it.

17/06/2019 20:10:08

Anyone else out there attempting this? I like the odd offbeat thing, and having built a couple of Peter`s designs in the past I have every faith in it.

Looks like just another simple Cub on the face of it but not quite so.

I had no 1/4" hard balsa dowel and the LMS only had loads of soft stuff. I did, however, have just enough 4 and 5mm carbon tube for the longerons. This made construction a little more difficult but I got there in the end. Aligning the fus sides was not easy, and mine is not quite right but it will do. It is very rigid.

Don`t make two left hand sides will you since that would be daft!

The wing looks to be pretty normal but I changed the order of assembly a bit then wished that I had not done so.

The servo wire holes need to be a little further aft, otherwise the centre section ribs become rather delicate where the dihedral brace slots are cut.

I have top hinged the ailerons to give a little built in differential.

Servos will be Corona DS939HV since I shall be using a LiFe pack. No electrickery in this one. I had an OS 26FS and 52FS available but neither looked to be suitable so have obtained an SC30FS to try.

li`l cub 001.jpg

li`l cub 002.jpg

li`l cub 003.jpg

li`l cub 004.jpg

li`l cub 005.jpg

li`l cub 006.jpg

li`l cub 007.jpg

li`l cub 008.jpg

I did not intend to start a thread on this until it was finished and tested but here it is anyway so far.

Thread: Lidl XL Glider
08/06/2019 17:46:51

If anybody wants an original one unopened, I shall be at pilot`s camping slot D at W&W. £8.00.

Thread: Chicken hoppers and fuel head issues
30/05/2019 16:58:25

I shall repeat a pic here of my Stampe tank set up for a Laser 155. Works great.stampe 012.jpg

stampe 013.jpg

stampe 014.jpg

stampe 015.jpg

stampe 016.jpg

OK, a few then. The top 9oz feeds the lower 6oz. Both have clunks. Inverted flight is no problem.

Thread: TomBoy 48" kit
26/05/2019 16:10:23

Yer tis, a bit grubby after a long layoff.

tomboy 48 001.jpg

tomboy 48 002.jpg

tomboy 48 003.jpg

26/05/2019 15:28:28

The Tomboy 48 is the Senior Tomboy. I use a Mills 1.3 which is what it was designed for. If you really must go leccy then you may as well use a large battery rather than add lead.

25/05/2019 22:27:49

I built mine quite a few years ago but seem to remember using hard-ish balsa for the spars, the rest can be as light as you can get. The whole model will be very light anyway, especially if covered in Solarlite or similar.

Thread: Don't just stand there, get one up!
25/05/2019 22:14:29

More work on the u/c and thought that it was OK now so took it up again a couple of days ago, this time with as much extra church roof as I could squeeze into the nose. Wheels up no problem and it now handles much better although being very much lighter than my other one it is rather over powered, in fact the only time that I fully opened the throttle was for a loop. Alas one leg refused to come down so I had to belly it with no flaps. A trip to the local model shop got me two new servos, and after a long time setting them up I am now satisfied that all is fine. Why do these things wait for a field visit before failing? Looks a tad windy tomorrow but we shall see.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us