By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 2013 Mass Build - general chat thread
07/01/2013 20:11:19

I always use UHU POR to stick the harder part of the velcro to the model and rely on the adhesive on the softer part to adhere to the Rx or esc. Use the POR on a battery because of the greater load. My glow/petrol models have the Rx`s fitted in a similar manner as the velcro provides quite good vibration cushioning and it is easy then to fix the short 2.4 antennae to the fus. with velcro strips.

06/01/2013 22:24:56

David, my lipo and esc are installed almost opposite each other above the wing with no cooling and they do not even get warm,so no worries.

Thread: WolstonFlyer's Tucano
06/01/2013 21:13:04

Think about this before you go any further. A wing join in the centre will suffer very little strain. One on the fuselage line will have to take an enormous load when up elevator is applied. Try holding a piece of balsa over the edge of your bench then applying downward pressure. Where does it break? Not where your holding hand is.

I have not looked at Phil`s drawing but why put a tongue at the rear and the bolts at the front? I know it has a rectangular section but look at almost any other model plan and you will see that it is the other way round for a very good reason.

The aileron servo. Since the wing is now to be removable there is no reason why this should not be let in to the wing and simply coupled to the torque rods.

06/01/2013 20:15:57

That`s it! Make the tail in a similar fashion and cut the elevators out afterwards. I do not see the need to make the wing centre section flat-my built up one does not have this. Use a 1" wide lightply plate for the tongue at the front because it is much easier to align with a slot in the former than dowels.

06/01/2013 19:55:35

WF, what I meant was, I hope that they are shaped to the wing section before you join them because you would find this very difficult afterwards. Best to lay them both flat on the board, spot glued together and shaped as one piece, including the ailerons. Mark the centre all round with a pen between your finger and thumb first. You can then cut at the centre, cut out the ailerons then bevel the centre and join.

06/01/2013 19:38:45

Whilst it is a good idea to get each wing half the same weight/density the model is best balanced on a test flight. Simply fly exactly downwind at height, close the throttle and push into a half outside loop, ensuring that the wings are level. Observe which wing is low at the bottom and add a little weight to the opposite tip. You will only require a small nail with the head cut off and pushed into the tip.

WF. I would use epoxy to join a wing as thin as this. Aliphatic will shrink so much that there will be very little glue left in a butt joint such as this.

Thread: UKCAA - Models, engines and schedules
06/01/2013 19:13:51

Hi J2W, I get your point about the tailslide, very unpredictable. The rolling circle must surely have started and finished with a 1/4 roll though.

Thread: WolstonFlyer's Tucano
06/01/2013 18:59:14

Hi WF, I hope that you have planed and sanded those nice wing halves before you think about joining them? I may have missed a bit of your build.

05/01/2013 18:38:03

Hmm, interesting. I did not know that a rolling circle was on the agenda in those days. I can still hardly do one. The tailslide is quite difficult and I am surprised that we do not see it in today`s schedules. I think that I was fly ing single channel up to about `65 so before my time aithough I used to go and watch whenever possible. Would prefer an updated version to take propo into account as most will be using this.

04/01/2013 21:43:22

Hi David,

You can be assured that this will be a problem but it is lessened if you are using Profilm/polyester. Probably best to do this with several strips rather than in one go. You will scarcely be able to notice these when it is finished. Same applies to the wing fairings if fitted. This is certainly not an easy fuselage to cover whatever your experience.

Thread: Martin's Tucano
04/01/2013 21:34:46

Thanks Geoff. Not too used to these leccy things but all other APC props have the hole where it should be and are generally ready to go. As I said I shall use a reamer and try an insert. Bet I am not the first nor last to run into this problem.

Martin

04/01/2013 18:11:42

Hi

Chris B.,

Tried an APC-E prop of the same size today. Not impressed. The revs went up by 800 suggesting to me that they are less, not more efficient. Max. power was required for a simple loop and it was a lot noisier than many i/c`s. Should have checked the balance first of course but later found it to be miles out. From the photos I think that you should be able to see why. The hole is nowhere near central. I can probably correct this with a reamer and an insert but this should not be necessary and a big black mark for APC. Don`t think that I shall be buying any more.

Someone asked about flight time on this set up. Don`t try 10mins as it cost me an outfield landing and a little damage. Mended now. First one out-first to prang!

03/01/2013 22:01:36

Hey, count me in on this lot, I didn`t build that Curare (see my photos) for nothing. I published a schedule typical of the mid to late 70`s on the GBRCAA forum site last year (or was it the year before?) but do not know if it is still there.

03/01/2013 20:27:17

Its 10 swg, 3.2mm on mine and it works fine.

03/01/2013 14:17:29

I have just bought some of the stuff from Screwfix which on a test piece sticks to balsa very well and seems to sand OK. Much better than many I have tried.

02/01/2013 23:42:34

I want to know about that airbrake which appears to extend

just before the gear is operated. To deflect airflow from the u/c doors to allow operation maybe?

02/01/2013 23:28:32

Colin, what sort of filler is it? Water based, cellulose, resin? How long does it take to set? I tend to use a home made version of what was once commercially available from fairing compound and polyester resin but it is not suitable for everything.

Thread: Martin's Tucano
01/01/2013 20:42:34

Thanks Chris. I stuck with the standard prop. because it is turning at 11400 on a fresh charge which is similar to an OS 25FX and am not sure what the rev. limits are on the E series but will try a couple sometime.

Geoff, the weight and power train are stated in a post just above. The dihedral is just a bit more than scale and unless you fly aerobatics leave as is. If I did this again I would have no more than 30mm.

01/01/2013 15:03:04

Its flown! A lull in the weather tempted me to the patch which now looks like the Somme after the rain plus Larry the lamb and friends, but despite the small wheels it got up and down uneventfully. Power seems about right and after a couple of clicks of trim here and there it was soon doing loops, outsides, cubans, slow and point rolls etc. As I suspected there is too much dihedral but this can be mixed out later.

31/12/2012 22:36:24

Hi David,

Please see my earlier post today.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us