By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Don't just stand there, get one up!
11/08/2012 11:21:48

Thanks Danny,

I looked at the Mick Reeves one but it is 4" and I need 3 3/4". My backplate has survived but that is all.

The fire damage is limited to the g/f cowl paint so no problem.

I did not go to Greenacres because of the lousy weather, but I did not have the Laser at that time and the original petrol motor was unuseable.

Will wait until the Nats and see what I can find.

Cheers, Martin

10/08/2012 22:17:53

Well, its second flight won the local club class 1 scale event, but today was a tale of woes. To cut it short, it caught fire after a backfire on starting - luckily put out with the model cleaner spray, then the lousy Traplet pressed alloy spinner flew off when the centre fixing screw went straight through it.

Question. Does anyone know where I can get a 3 3/4 inch turned alloy Spifire spinner which will fit a Laser 180? I have an M10x1.5 to M5 adaptor but could make a different one as necessary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

27/07/2012 00:24:24

A few pics on my album now, with as yet unpainted cowl.

26/07/2012 23:54:15

Very much. Thanks Ian.

26/07/2012 23:22:17

Hi all,

Been very quiet on this thread for a long time but pleased to report that at last AR 213 had an uneventful maiden today.

It was finished by last Christmas but the RCG 30 gave so many vibration and overheating problems that I gave up with it when the engine mount itself broke.

Someone suggested a Laser so I raided the piggy bank and got a 180 last Friday. What a beautifull motor. A bit heavier than the petrol which is useful, starts first flick, it is quiet, hides completely inside the cowl, very little oily mess and idles a little over zero rpm.

This is only the second model I have ever built which I can honestly say flew perfectly with no clicks of trim.

Despite flat calm conditions I did not even have to use the flaps as it landed like a pussy cat.

I said that I would publish pics. when it was done but having problems as usual with that. I have some moments after the landing so will try to get them on my album.

Danny, been trying to contact you but cannot find you on this website.

Martin.

Thread: Percival Mew Gull
06/06/2012 16:35:03

I would go for a 20x8 assuming that the motor is 25cc and has lots of power, since the greater diameter will drop the revs and the lower pitch will slow the model down quite a lot. My 30cc RCG does 6500 to 7000 on a 19x8.

Martin

02/06/2012 21:47:26

If this is of any help, the tail span on my o/d version is 29" and the 6swg torsion bars are 3.25" long. I have now moved the battery pack as far rearward as it will go and it now only just spins, let alone tip stall. Landings can be as slow as you like. Don`t know what Seagull have done to their model because the two I have built from scratch are a doddle to fly. (see my earlier posting).

Martin Mc.

Thread: fuel prices! like OMG!
09/04/2012 22:36:49

Tom,

Where do I get these cells locally for that price please? I also have numerous leccy models.

Thread: Fuel proofing
09/04/2012 09:58:31

Thanks for your replies.

What is PolyC?

The Fighter Aces stuff looks to be a good bet to try but it would mean completely restocking. I would suspect that the Perkins stuff is rebranded Spektrum.

Problem is that I run mainly YS motors and 20% nitro is really a minimum. I also run sparkies which of course are kind to paint but the noise is excessive and not very scale like.

The acrylic I tried was from Halfords, the stuff you spray over metallic car paint. Bad reaction when I used it on top of their appliance white - it went sticky, hence the thread as I am having to strip and refinish the items.

Martin Mc

Thread: fuel prices! like OMG!
08/04/2012 22:45:23

I seem to remember posting a thread on similar lines some time ago when fuel prices suddenly shot up by 50%. They came down again rather rapidly soon afterwards. Surely the ingredients of model fuel cannot be governed by world oil prices as they are not pumped out of the ground. I think that the suppliers are just jumping on the bandwagon. Maybe we should all try to fly el*ctr*c for a couple of months to make them see sense. Down to my last can and ages to go till wings and wheels.

Thread: Fuel proofing
08/04/2012 22:07:23

Hello all,

I have always had problems with trying to fuel proof a model finished in enamel paint, say Humbrol or even Spektrum, when using 20% nitro. Tufkote lasts for a time: acrylic is much better but I have not as yet found any in satin for WW2 models. Dulux Diamond Glaze is a possibility so does anyone have experience of this or can suggest something suitable please? Epoxied prices are through the roof and getting the correct colours could be a problem.

Martin

Thread: Quadcopter
08/04/2012 21:44:22

Hi Mike,

Before it died I managed a few short hops and experimented with the pots a little but probably had them set lower than that. The motors certainly responded to rocking but that was the point at which they started to fail. Will keep you posted,

Martin

08/04/2012 19:35:26

Hi all, well, my KK board came set up for a quad OK but on first tests in a warehouse a couple of motors died occasionally. This turned out to be the unused and untapped front mounts touching the motor windings, eventually destroying one of them. Having a ding dong with HobbyKing at the moment to get them replaced (Donkey motors, real donkeys). Will order rather better ones when they are back in stock so in the meantime must just wait . I hear that the gyros on the KK are not good enough to auto stabilize. What do you reckon?

Thread: Percival Mew Gull
07/04/2012 21:35:50

If anyone is interested I have now built a 1/4 scale version from plans (scaled up) posted in PDF format by Colin Usher. This is rather adequately powered by a YS 110 and is a dream to fly. Since the design has aerobatic possibilities I modified the section to fully symmetrical, retaining the thickness ratio (RAF 30 modified). The tail is fully built up construction. The cg is too far forward at the moment for my liking so will experiment with this. Having trouble relocating the website but I am sure that Colin would help with this. Note that F1 is way too narrow as shown on the plan.

Thread: Soldering Irons and butain gas
22/03/2012 19:46:58

What a lot this wonderful hobby teaches us. I was taught how to harden/anneal metals using heat/ fast cooling/ very slow cooling/ immersion in oil when at school but it is too long ago to remember the details.

For your interest, I only use Telux flux for soft soldering piano wire or brass. It is none corrosive and much better than Fluxite. Essential for good linkage joints.

I would love to know what manufacturers use to get those perfect alloy welds on silencers etc.

Martin

21/03/2012 22:54:58

In most cases a wire wrapped soft solder joint is all that is required for u/c legs. If you must use some sort of brazing, quench the joint whilst still cherry red, polish up with sand paper until most of the metal is bright then reheat gently until it turns to straw colour. Allow to cool slowly. Not great but it works for me.

Martin

Thread: Sunspots
20/03/2012 23:54:17

Same sort of thing happened to me 10 days ago. Kept the Sanyo 1200 nicad topped up occasionally during rhe winter. Put it on a slow charge the night before when it registered about 400mAh, quite normal, Turned on to check at the field and it died within 10 seconds. 2V only from pack. My cherished Spit. lives again thanks to lady luck. I normally cycle them but did not in this case. This is the one pack which I did not change as a matter of course. You live and learn.

Martin

18/03/2012 22:45:46

Very funny, sonny.

Thread: Oh cheer, Spring's here, how much flying are you getting in?
18/03/2012 19:21:09

Just where do you people live? Here in Bucks it was a horribly freezing day due to the east wind. Put the models in the van, left them there and crawled back into the nice warm shed.

Last Sunday it was great, but only three or four other members appeared. What do the other eighty-odd do?

Martin Mc

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 18/03/2012 19:24:41

Thread: Soldering Irons and butain gas
18/03/2012 18:39:51

I got some silver solder, loads of it, on ebay for about a tenner. I think it came from a guy in Milton Keynes. Much easier than (brass) brazing. You also need the flux which Nexus can supply. The above mentioned torches will also do aluminium welding using Techno Weld if you are brave enough.

Martin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CADMA
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us