By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Video camera
09/02/2010 23:48:13
I have been trying to get live videos to a ground station dvr from a model but having tried various systems/power levels they all shut down when an IC motor is started, appart from a (legal) 10mW set-up which worked but had very limited range. I have heard that this is a common problem. Any ideas anyone? I cannot see why vibration should affect the 2.4gHz link.
Thread: The 2009 RCM&E & Modelflying.co.uk awards
16/12/2009 23:11:06
1.Hobby City
2.Giantcod
3.Leeds Model Shop
Thread: Hurricane mk 1 or 2
11/12/2009 22:13:52
Hi, if you are still looking I am building the Vailly aviation version but have had it scaled to 1/5th (96"). Can give you details if you email me.

Martin.
Thread: Parkzone Sukhoi Su-26m
05/12/2009 22:33:04
Hi Alan, after contacting the dealer who shall remain nameless but resides in Milton Keynes, they do not want to know. I shall send it back to Horizon Hobbies who have a good customer service dept. and if there is a problem they will no doubt sort it out. I may try `Gliders` but am awaiting a selection of props. from Hobby King.
04/12/2009 23:22:52
Mine is a load of rubbish. Looking at other forums, you can easily get one with a bad motor. Even a simple loop requires a steep dive to pick up speed to achieve. Knife edge is out of the question even with the rudder linkage altered to give maximum deflection. I am off to the dealer tomorrow to get it replaced.
Why do they not use a modern brushless motor?
Also the very weak props. are hard to come by.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME Administrator on 05/12/2009 05:56:17

Thread: Two vs three-blade props
22/11/2009 22:35:19
I used to fly my TN 62" Spit on a 12x7 APC with a YS63 but the landing speed was too high so I changed to a YS53 on a 13x5 wood which solved the problem but the power was well down. I changed back to the 63 but this time on a 11.5x6 narrow three blader. This gives way less revs than the 12x7, surprisingly, but it is enough and it now looks right and allows a slow landing.
About time that the prop manufacturers made a much greater range of three bladers.
Thread: Small servo choice
07/10/2009 22:02:37
Hi, Spektrum S75`s have very long arms indeed so may be worth considering. MG 16R digi`s are great if they work - they either do or don`t. Esky micro digitals have plastic gears but work well as long as the control surface is fairly lightweight.
Thread: Parkzone sukhoi - anyone got any info?
30/09/2009 22:04:11
Just don`t bother. See other postings.
Thread: Parkzone sukhoi - it's here! what do u think?
30/09/2009 22:01:06
PS. May do a test report soon so that others do not make the same mistake of buying it for what it is supposed to be.
30/09/2009 21:56:58
Hi, I bought one three weeks ago on the strength of the hype and reports of it performing just  like a larger model. It is very disappointing and just the opposite.
The cg is miles too far forward and even with two M4 nuts taped to the rear fus. to correct it it just nosedives on four points or knife edge as if the rudder was going in the wrong direction, despite moving the linklage to give maximum deflection. Spins are very steep although stall turns are OK. Power is very lacking on the suppied battery and I broke the prop. on the third, very gentle landing.
The supplied equipment is very good value and when I wreck it I shall try to use it in something more sensible.
Thread: Flycam One version 2
20/08/2009 22:13:42
Hi Simon, maybe I did not persevere enough with it and will try again.
Thread: Show us your workshop!
19/08/2009 23:57:53
Some of these photos gladden my heart. I shall never need to tidy my shed ever again. Too ashamed to post a photo.
Thread: 4 stroke fuel
19/08/2009 23:43:12
Re oil content. For what it is worth, YS fuel contains 23% synthetic. I run my `cooking` engines on Model Technics contest 10 which I believe has 17 or 18% oil including 2% castor. I also use a similar blend from Southern Modelcraft and have had no problems whatsoever, so I would say that you only require a high oil content for the more powerful motors, but would never use less than 17%. About time that this is stated on the container which I believe has been asked for before on this forum but as yet has not been responded to by the manufacturers. Wake up!
Thread: Flycam One version 2
10/08/2009 23:34:22
I bought one a year ago but if I had known it was only 1.3 Mpixels I would not have bothered. Trying to erase multiple videos is well nigh impossible and loop record seems to be the only way to go. Tried it on the dashboard of my car for a while but the results were so poor I have not as yet bothered to put it in amodel. Very disappointed with the quality.
Thread: Petrol engine
10/08/2009 23:06:19
I have been thinking of petrol power and Hurricane (was going to be the Nihuis one) lately but came across the FLT 52cc from Hobby City at only £105 (plus £6 vat and £14 to the godammed P.O. to collect it). The reviews on it are great and with a few minor flaws appears to live up to its name. 6900rpm on a Graupner 22x8 after only 1hr running in. 1/5 Hurri plan on the way. Does anyone have any experience of this motor before I commit myself to the project please?
Thread: How powerful is it?
08/08/2009 22:13:20
All that the manufactures need to do is state the RPM for a range of props for a given battery voltage. Simple.
Thread: Glow fuel price
07/06/2009 21:58:09
Thanks for your replies. When I posted this I did not realise that others had already taken up the subject. The price increase appears to be across the board so they cannot blame it on the temporary increase in the price of nitro. Perhaps we should boycott one supplier at a time for a month, starting with Model Technics?

Edited By Martin McIntosh on 07/06/2009 22:13:23

06/06/2009 20:40:51
Can anyone offer an explanation as to why glowfuel has increased in price by at least 50% recently? The ingredients are not based on mineral oil so are presumably not imported nor should they be affected in any way by the state of the £ Sterling. Are we just being taken for a ride again or is it because petrol motors are becoming more poplular so the retailers/wholesalers are trying to maintain their profits?
Thread: Corona 2.4 TX Module and RX
05/06/2009 22:21:13
DW, must invest in a `decent` typing finger.
04/06/2009 23:08:46
Took the plunge and bought the 8ch set up with an extra rx. Only flown each twice but could not fault them in fast electric models. Switching the Rx on and the Tx off first takes a little getting used to. Would be a little cagey about using them in something descent without a lot more testing though.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us