By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: August Edition CAP 21 Plans
23/10/2007 19:04:00
Jim, don`t know what size your Cap is but maybe one of the Capiche range would suit?
Thread: Which Radio Gear????
20/10/2007 23:27:00
Craig, unless you are desperate to get in the air with a new set of gear and your budget does not stretch to a Spektrum, leave the Futaba set alone because whilst it is incredibly reliable it has a lot of shortcomings. you would be better off getting a used, medium spec. 35mHz set for now and wait for better/cheaper 2.4. 95% of my models, including all of my scale stuff, are still on 35. Please see the review section for my, and other, comments on this set.
Thread: What Glue DO You Use
20/10/2007 22:24:00
No more so than nitro I suppose, but boy, does it work well!
20/10/2007 15:45:00
Something which I use at work, and is also available fro the Liverpool Glue Company I believe, is Polyolefin primer purchased from Radio Spares. This is a solvent which is brushed onto each component and evaporates immediately. You then apply ca in the normal way. It will allow you to glue polythene, teflon to teflon, anything you like. Needless to say some has found its way into my shed.
Thread: What is wrong with RTF?
20/10/2007 11:59:00
The problem that I am finding is that retailers stocks of basic building materials is generally dwindling because it is more profitable to fill the shelves with ARTF, which usually means that I have to drive for miles doing a tour of the not so local shops. Very rarely do I find one which has balsa/ply/glue/coverings/hardware anymore.
19/10/2007 22:33:00
Don`t worry Gareth, we shall always be here to help with pleasure.
Thread: 3 blade props
19/10/2007 22:20:00
Shaun, thanks for that very interesting site. Not read all of it yet but must disagree with the tip shape bit so far from practical experience. Will peruse the whole thing later and it may enlighten me.
19/10/2007 21:59:00
Going to open a can of worms here. If we all are rich enough to just buy any model we fancy, who will be left to design them?
Thread: What Glue DO You Use
19/10/2007 21:50:00
See earlier posts. It is basically pva but sets much more quickly and can be sanded easily on a soft balsa joins. OK for going over spot glued joins but does not stick to CA.
Thread: Futaba Futaba 6EX 2.4Ghz mode change from 2 to 1
18/10/2007 22:26:00
It is possible, have done it, but it took me an hour fiddling with a pair of tweezers to get the centring spring onto the other stick! The procedure is standard, just transfer the ratchet and spring from one stick to the other. Best of luck! (I still hate Futaba!). If you do not want the spring to ping across your workshop into oblivion, try putting the Tx in a large clear plastic bag and work with your hands inside it.
18/10/2007 20:59:00
I don`t have problem with ARTF`ers, they have kept the nobby bouyant recently and I admit to owning two my self, but only because I could not have built the alterntive kit for anywhere near the price. I enjoy building as least as much as flying. My only concern is that time and again I have seen models scrapped for minor damage because either they were so weakly built that a repair was not possible or that the flyer just did not have a clue where to start. It cannot be a bad idea to at least try a simple build kit or whatever even if it takes you ages or you give up in despair. At least you will begin to appreciate the effort which goes into a model, and treat it with a lot more respect  for that effort.
Thread: solartex
17/10/2007 22:31:00
On tissue tears we just used to run a bead of balsa cement along the tear then when it set it would pull the tissue together making the repair almost invisible. You will be lucky to find anywhere selling it these days though. Liverpool Glue Company was where I bought the last lot, some time ago.
17/10/2007 21:19:00

I try to be flexible in my approach to anything Myron.

Re the shape (props of course), I found that if the tips were rounded as per the wing tips of a model, the noise went back up by 3dBa. Square them up back to the original `Rev-up` shape and it went down again. Says something for the efficiency of CAP tips maybe.

17/10/2007 20:04:00
Tried that. Goes all wrinkly though.
Thread: Multiplex servos
17/10/2007 20:01:00
Do it just the same as for a retract servo, but this time there will be more than one involved. Have not tried this yet but you would need to use some ingenuity in order to common the red wires and still be able to unplug your servos. A lot of large models use a bespoke wiring harness to achieve this. As long as the brown /black and orange/white are commoned thoughout the system it will work, with the Rx pack only drawing a small current to power it. I have considered 6V for a large model I have nearly finished but looking at other reports I may stick with 4.8 or maybe 8.4 regulated to 5V using much heavier duty wiring than normal.
17/10/2007 19:38:00
I used to use three bladers in competitions when we were strictly checked for noise at most events. The advantage is that the tips of the much smaller diameter prop run at a lower speed than a two blade and were therefore quieter, in fact 3dB down, i.e. half as noisy. The big disadvantage is that they are much less efficient. A 9 1/2" or less prop on a powerful 60 doing 14k+ produces a lot less thrust than an 11" two blade at the same revs. The generally much lower revving electric set up will not suffer the same fate because of the increase in prop efficiency at a lower speed. Explains why many models still tend to land like a bat out of hell when on idle. Anyone got a rule of thumb formula to convert two blade to three blade?
Thread: Multiplex servos
17/10/2007 00:18:00
Should not be a problem from my experience but presume the battery is AA NiMh from the capacity stated. NiCads would be able to supply a higher current possibly but are probably not necessary. Try deliberately stalling acouple of the servos to check that everything is still OK (not from a fully charged pack though). If you are concerned then a separate Rx pack of much lower capacity is always a good idea. You do not need a Multibox if you are capable of disconnecting the red wires from the servo plugs and commoning them together via a separate switch to the servo battery, otherwise stick with the commercial item. I currently run 4 digis/ 2retracts on a couple of models from 2000NiMh cells but realise that the number of flights is limited somewhat. I would not try 6V because your Rx may not like it.
Thread: 35mHz interference poser
16/10/2007 23:45:00
Can anyone who is well up on radio please try to answer this. At my local patch I found that under certain conditions I could not not use ch73 if someone else was on ch67. It caused a total lockout of my gear with all servos driving to one end even with the model in one hand, the Tx with full aerial in the other and the offending Tx with the aerial fully down. Which (JR) Tx/  model/ PCM, PPM, IPD, any Rx I cared to use made no difference. The offending Tx`s were probably Futaba, but that is beside the point. There is a gas pumping station a field or two away which I believe transmits telemetry information. This lasted for up to 10 secs at a time, mainly noticeable on Saturdays. A little unnerving when you are in the air at the time! For it to happen it seemed to require one or two other Tx`s to be in use at the same time on whatever other channels (not close ones). Needless to say I do not use ch73 now if anyone is there on 67, but otherwise it is OK. I am a radio coms. engineer, I know quite a bit about the causes of interference but I am blowed if I can anwer this one. All of the gear performs immaculately on any other channel.
Thread: Mode 1 or Mode2
16/10/2007 22:44:00
Christopher, ever tried flying on mode 2 after being brought up on the most natural mode? It is most wierd. I applaud anyone who can do a proper 8 point roll on mode 2. When I used to fly aerobatics the continental fliers were the main opposition and they all flew mode 1. It is a north/south divide thing though.
Thread: Futaba vs JR 2.4
16/10/2007 22:26:00
I am in no rush. Thanks Timbo.
Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us