By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Car indicators
06/07/2019 17:59:51

I once drove a Vectra `C`, a police car as it happened because a company I worked for at the time fitted CCTV cameras to them ( you can have great fun in one of those, no other cars even come near you). No way to cancel an indicator once operated and putting it on the other way just made matters worse, so I can sympathize with BMW drivers in this respect. I drive an Audi and none of the ones I have ever driven suffer from this.

Tailgating is one of my pet hates and at the risk of upsetting any ladies reading this, if you look at the driver doing it, it is nine times out of ten a woman. They really do not in general have much depth perception. Brick bats expected now!

06/07/2019 09:10:19

Amazing. Everybody seems to agree with me for a change. Not just my imagination after all, thanks for the replies.

04/07/2019 21:56:18

Nothing to do with model flying but has anyone else noticed the growing tendency for drivers not bothering to indicate, particularly when performing a U turn at a roundabout?

We are all aware that BMWs are not fitted with these as standard (sorry, but it must be true) but the trend appears to have migrated to many others. Is it just me, or have others noticed this?

Thread: CofG
04/07/2019 21:45:14

Interesting. I have recently built a much lighter version of my old (still flying) TN 72" Spitfire. It climbs like hell on full power and has to be down trimmed a lot in this mode. I have progressively moved the cg further forward which helps but it is now 12mm more than the original which has none of these tendencies. On the last flight I mixed down with throttle which made it flyable but played hell with it when I had to do a flaps down overshoot. Looks like the thrust line is out to me but I am always very careful to set this up during the build. Very difficult to change it now. Any ideas please?

Thread: Beginner to telemetry
04/07/2019 21:31:24

Good time for the magazine to do an article on how to connect various sensors to a range of sets. What do you think new Ed?

Thread: Soldering Stations
04/07/2019 21:20:18

I have written a lot on here about these on other threads. You can do no better than visiting CPC/ Farnell where you will find a very good long lasting product to fit your budget.. The bee`s knee`s of these is a Metcal but at £250 is way out for a modeller. Professional soldering used to be part of my job but the last company I worked for would only fork out for the CPC ones. No problem.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
04/07/2019 21:07:26

I last saw the pulse jets at Weston Park a couple of years ago. Very impressive. Also, the standard of the displays there way exceeded anything I have seen elsewhere.

At W&W I saw a guys t shirt saying that WP was 1992 to date but I actually took part in the very first one in the mid `70s. It included a Spitfire display, an ME108 and a glider landing there. I was in the JDM team at the time and we well and truly blew up a fort with maroons fixed to gallon cans of petrol. The whole show was very much smaller than it now is but so good that I could not see it getting better so did not go back until as I said above.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/07/2019 21:27:37

Nice one Jon.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
02/07/2019 10:27:51

Mine actually sports a 155 Bert, but it is only 6.2kg.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
01/07/2019 21:39:58

From a pilots` point of view the only criticism would be that again we all had to fly from one end well away from the main group of spectators, making doing anything interesting such as aerobatic figures in front of them very difficult for us; also ensuring that we did not over fly the car park as has been said above. This could easily be sorted.

Regarding the crosswind, east on Sat. and west, very strong, on Sun., yes, it made things rather awkward but with the main runway north to south there for some reason, this is often the case.

I am now retired and have all the building time in the world but my Stampe and Spitfire which were flown there still took me 1 year at least of intensive shed time each which probably equates to 3 or 4 years for a working guy.

I was expected to put them in the air and did so whenever asked, never chickening out.

Cost me a £26 prop and a damaged u/c on the Spit. which just about cancels out the free entry to the event.

I found the quad demos on Sun., plus micro ones fly all round the bar on Sat. night quite entertaining. They even took part in the night flying although this excellent entertainment was maybe only to be appreciated by the traders/pilots.

At previous attendances when not taking part I found that just watching small, club type models flying round rather uninterestingly because they were what the traders were trying to flog rather boring. I believe that the public wants to see the more spectacular stuff even though it may be well beyond their reach.

30/06/2019 20:40:13

I can echo the above completely. Thanks guys. A few bargains carried home to boot.

Thread: Switching Brand
30/06/2019 20:14:31

If anyone is interested I have an X9D plus a few Rx`s which I shall probably sell soon. Too complex for me. I shall be putting this on the Drone Junkyard Facebook site soon and am assured that it will sell like hot cakes. Don`t ask me for a price yet though.

30/06/2019 20:08:56

Foxfan, I have had a Turnigy (FlySky) i6 for quite some time and it has been reliable in quads. Also the i10. You do not even need the (Chinglese) manual to program either one.

Thread: Li`l Cub
26/06/2019 11:31:57

A bit more expensive than I seemed to remember but still very good value.

25/06/2019 22:58:15

Certainly Friday but before the rush hour may be too early for me so it may be later. Depends on when I am ready.

PM me for phone No.

Thread: Li`l Cub
25/06/2019 10:59:14

Hi Piers,

To glue carbon to carbon or balsa I first sprayed the joints with 3M Polyolefin Primer, item No. 05917. By far the cheapest way to buy it. This allows the use of c.a. (I used thick). Brilliant stuff. No need for reinforcement (I hope, because I have not as yet even run that motor, let alone in the model).

I first came across this when I was at work and needed to make some awkward joins on prototype items. I tested it on a polythene bottle similar to a fuel tank and glued another polythene item to it with c.a. I still have this and after 15 years still cannot separate them. The primer I used then was super expensive and bought from RS or Farnell. About £12 for a 5g brush bottle! The 3M was around £3.50 for 200ml.

My power set up is a guess so I too shall be very interested to see how it performs but as I said earlier it can easily be converted back to electric.

24/06/2019 21:16:42

Lots done now, with the fus. covered and painted bar the fuel proofer, tail done and ready to fit and the wing 3/4 covered. I have had to put the rudder and elevator servos at the back because of the heavy motor.

If I never see another slat again it will be too soon. I have found these to be very difficult so far and they still need to be shaped. I am toying with the idea of tissue covering and painting the inside then glueing them on and shaping later, but we shall see.

24/06/2019 21:06:28

As I said earlier, they should change the take off point for this type of model. I expect that we shall cope somehow.

Thread: Switching Brand
22/06/2019 19:27:28

Old hat now but having bought a JR DSX9 when they came out and I now have an awful lot of Rx`s including Spektrum and Orange so I am pretty much stuck with it. Futaba is almost universally used by my club mates along with an increasing amount of Spektrum but I just cannot get to grips with Futaba programming. My first 2.4 set was a Futaba 6 ch. but I could not mix rudder and elevator to mix out rolling in point rolls. I could only get left rudder with, say, up elevator and right with down which was totally useless so I soon sold it on. Every one of their Tx`s is different but that also applies to JR and Spektrum.

I have had a Taranis for a long time but still find it difficult. The radio link is, however, superb. Only 8 ch. unless you use two Rx`s or whatever plus there is no battery port and a Y lead here goes against the grain.

Many of my WW2 scale birds use at least 8 ch. and I really need 10 so I got a very cheap Turnigy 10ch. Cheap Rx`s and you do not even need the manual to program it. Telemetry included if you want it but they are no longer sold. Made by the same company as the AT10. (FlySky). Warned off the latter by my LMS though.

It really depends on the sort of model you wish to fly in the future. I would say that if you spend more than £400 to £500 on a set then you are wasting your money.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/06/2019 15:26:31

Elevenish probably.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us