By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
16/05/2019 22:59:32

That seems pretty clear then, so why are we being hounded?

16/05/2019 21:53:38

We seem to have polls on this forum for various things so how about one for `do you intend to register, yes or no`?

Thread: Taranis 9 channel
13/05/2019 16:16:57

I also normally use JRDSX9 and now have so many JR/Spektrum/Orange Rx`s to go with it that a total change would be very expensive. I also have a 9X2 modular Tx. (plus a few others such as TGY 6 and 10 ch. sets).

Quite a few years ago I bought an X9D plus 2x X8 and 2x D8 Rx`s. Also have a FrSky Tx module which came with two more D8`s. In order to get the X9D to work with all of my Rx`s the local Taranis guru put it on global s/w (at least I think that was the reason). Trouble is that it gets used so rarely that I need to go and see him every time that I want to do something different. I am totally useless with this type of programming. First attempt saw the trims working in the wrong direction. Interesting maiden.

May decide to keep the module and Rx`s and sell the rest. The only thing is that many of my scale models require at least 9 channels.

Thread: Aileron differential
12/05/2019 19:19:14

I have a few models which require quite a lot of differential, namely an o/d 81" Lanc, a HK one, a Precedent Stampe and a Mercury Tiger Moth. The Stampe is done mechanically by offsetting the servo arms as is the 81" Lanc. Servo power on the other two is sufficient to just use the Tx diff. 2:1 on these types of model is about normal. If you wish to roll without the addition of rudder you can always use a mix switch. 30 to 50% rudder mix seems to be about right. Strangely, the Tiggy needs rudder mix but the Stampe does not.

Thread: Wots with chris foss?
07/05/2019 20:49:49

John Lee,

I am going back there on Friday but judging by the large line up of foamies I doubt if I shall spend any money flying, just take a break. They used to have `proper` i/c aerobats. Nothing in particular against the foamies but on my last visit a couple of years ago there was not much else worth flying and I got bored because they are too easy. I do like Acrowots though.

Thread: Mercury Tiger Moth
07/05/2019 20:30:12

I built the Mercury Tiggy from some rather incomplete down loaded plans some years ago, originally with a Mills 0.75. The inverted motor proved difficult to start and operate since the compression screw was inaccessible and the structure rather fragile to get a good grip on. I tried to make a longer one but it did not work out too well, so in the end I electrified it (sorry). It still flies a treat and can cope with a high wind. Won a prize at Greenacres with it for the best between wars model. You must mix about 30% rudder in with the ailerons to get a smooth turn or it will bite you.

Thought that I had some pics in my album but they must be on another PC.

A Mills usually starts and runs perfectly in the wrong direction anyway but why bother?

07/05/2019 17:53:42

These delivery drones will obviously work in countries which have large open spaces such as the US and Africa, but never in Blighty other than for emergency services.

I believe that a shotgun licence lasts for five years and works out cheaper in the end so if you see an Amazon drone over your garden or flying field you will know what to do!!!!!

Anyway, who is going to enforce any legislation which states that you cannot fly a toy aeroplane without first registering? The Bill will not even turn out if you get burgled or mugged. And who has the equipment to see if your model is at over 400ft or whatever? Are they seriously thinking of taking a set of scales with them to check the weight of your foamie? It beggars belief.

06/05/2019 15:07:36

Worth reading that FT article about the AMA opposition. I just googled the heading.

03/05/2019 20:01:43

Just been chatting to my best model flying mate down at the pub. He had heard a whisper somewhere about this lot but owns neither a smart phone nor a PC and never intends to do so. So how does the government intend to contact people like him? Send a letter to every household in the land to see if they have a toy plane hidden in the loft? They could all be fined £1000 even if they just start up the motor to scare off the rats up there because they could accidentally let go of it, in which case they would be flying it illegally. (All of this above nonsense with tongue in cheek of course).

01/05/2019 19:19:50

For any of you who have not watched the above you tube video in full, I urge you to do so.

01/05/2019 18:51:12

And like I said earlier, refuse to register, also inform your club mates, 98% of whom will not have read any of this.

Thread: Aircraft grade Plywood?
01/05/2019 09:30:39

I beg to differ on the thicknesses. Lite ply is metric, birch is still generally imperial, although I once did a little repair work on a full size Stampe and the LE sheeting was 1mm aircraft grade birch. No different to the stuff we use except for the inflated price.

30/04/2019 22:07:49

Regarding the above 40,000 `drone` users, this infers that the BBC appear to think that this is the current number of quadcopter operators currently in this country. How can we put them right on this? It would mean that nearly all BMFA members own one!

30/04/2019 19:45:51

What can they do about it if we all refuse to register? Nothing. Think about that. About time that we stood up to these jobsworths.

29/04/2019 09:52:31

When I heard about this latest fiasco via my club yesterday I duly filled out the consultation form.

They obviously do indeed know the difference between a model aircraft and a `drone` because it asks if you own one. I answered `no` because although I have some racers I am very unlikely to fly one again since our farmer banned them for some reason best known only to him.

I pointed out that the proportion of remote controlled `drones` versus model aircraft must be very small indeed.

I also queried the figure of 170,000 expected to sign up. Where did they get that from, worldwide numbers maybe?

Say for the sake of argument that there are 50 clubs registered with the BMFA, each having 100 members who would be forced to sign up or give up then 5000 registration fees would not generate the capital they wish for.

Other flyers would most likely not bother even if they knew about registration.

Come on BMFA, show them that you have teeth.

Thread: source for Hobby Eagle stabilisers
28/04/2019 13:51:47

Thanks Denis.

28/04/2019 09:51:47

I was considering getting a middle of the range one, but now not so sure since the pic shows just one aileron output; fat lot of good these days.

Thread: Don't just stand there, get one up!
22/04/2019 16:37:29

I watched a FunCub being flown yesterday and was suitably impressed. Good luck with it.

21/04/2019 22:40:51

Thanks for the comments.

I zoom the original around in the normal fashion but am getting used to this one bit by bit. Don`t want to take any chances because it is booked in to fly at WW.

I checked up on the full size cg and could not believe it. They state between 4ft and 4ft 8in aft of the LE and considering that the root chord is only 8ft 4in that is a very long way back. No wonder that the elevators are a bit sensitive on them.

Fitted a G-Sonic composite 18x8 prop to the 180 this time instead of my usual wooden ones and get a very slow idle with it. No need for full power even for a take off.

Thread: Radio, servo malfunction
21/04/2019 18:56:14

Not read all of this but I had a similar problem. Turned out to be the JR 591`s which will only work on 4.8V affecting the others. I was using 6V. I now use quite a few Corona servos on 6.6V LiFe packs with no problems.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us