By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
22/11/2019 21:44:38

Best plug spanners in the world came with MDS engines would you believe!

22/11/2019 09:56:02

I remember asking Jon about the possibility of a 50 ish motor to replace the very noisy 2st petrol in my Hurri. a few years ago. It would have to turn a 23x8 at at least 6000rpm though. The idea of a very narrow angle in line V appeals to me.

21/11/2019 09:01:44

Nice to know that they could still be around.

20/11/2019 15:28:30

Jon, I have a pair of Eurokits air units, 90 degrees and ex Lanc. if you are interested. Same as the ones in my 1:5 Hurricane.

18/11/2019 14:59:12

Don`t blame you for stating as above Jon. I was just saying what worked for me on that motor but cannot recommend it. I did try this briefly on a 180 but it was a lousy pressed spinner and, shall we say, did not like it.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
17/11/2019 16:19:34

Mine turned out spot on 1" forward of the top wing TE with a 155. Changing to a 180 made no real difference in this respect. I just put the servos wherever they fitted best and the battery in front of the bottom wing, modern gear being light enough to make little difference. Covering is Solartex.

Thread: TN Concorde
16/11/2019 21:52:19

Thanks Alan, but it was the other side of the mains I was interested in. I think I now know how I shall make mine.

I avoided those MCR series units because the latest ones I bought would not work with certain Rx`s which only output a 3V pulse instead of the required 5V; older ones are fine. Also, I have found that because the geometry is hopelessly wrong, the nose legs twist on retraction causing them to foul.

16/11/2019 15:32:22

Here is my effort at the nose leg which seems to work quite well. When the wheels eventually arrive I shall probably make it a twin and can get on with the mains.

concorde 001.jpg

concorde 002.jpg

15/11/2019 20:52:42

Here is a pic. of my Hurricane spinner. 1.33kg.vailley hurricane.jpg

15/11/2019 20:12:02

Hi, I am not at your stage yet but have the elevon servo mounts installed including the inner ones. The nose leg is being done but i found the opening to be too narrow so have modified it a bit. The steering is being done with fishing line and some piano wire to centre it I hope. Pics. to follow when I get the servo installed. Fingers crossed that it will work.

15/11/2019 10:31:58

I have a 50cc petrol Hurricane. The 5" spinner was filled with lead, probably about a kg and over about 10 years of flying I have not noticed any problems. Great care was taken to ensure that it was perfectly level when pouring in the molten lead.

Thread: Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog
13/11/2019 10:17:53

curare 008.jpg

This is the sort of thing I usually employ. It puts no strain on the rudder or its hinges.

Thread: New 78" Vulcan for twin 90mm DF
13/11/2019 09:04:09

Thanks Peter. My battery pack is miles from the intended esc position so when the wire arrives from HK EU I shall do some testing before making a decision.

12/11/2019 20:01:25

I shall not be attempting this design but am following your excellent build with interest. One question, do the battery leads to the esc`s need to be lengthened and do you propose to take any measures to prevent the latter from blowing up due to eddy currents (I think) in the extra wiring? The reason I ask is because one esc on my TN Mosquito failed on take off on the second flight despite low Z capacitors being added. Currently building the Concorde and Tony says that long wiring has never caused him a problem.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
08/11/2019 18:20:39

Why bother with a sprung u/c on a Stampe?

06/11/2019 15:45:43

A quick question please if anyone can help before I make a mistake. As shown on the plan, are the jig tabs on R2 and R6 way too long or should the front packing piece be 12mm, not 9?

Thread: Gas engineers
04/11/2019 20:30:22

I now live in my 3rd house with a Baxi back boiler, (one was my parents` former house). It had to go in my second house but only because a wanted rid of the storage tanks in order to build a staircase to the loft. I installed a Ferolli combi one and my gas bill immediately doubled, but this may have been due to the (ex) Mrs. having unlimited hot water available! Most houses in my area have had these replaced at £3000+ and on enquiring about a replacement igniter unit was told that I stood no chance, but a quick google got one plus anything else I may need for it.

Thread: Soldering iron or flame torch
04/11/2019 20:10:19

Just get a cheap soldering station. The tip stays at the same temperature no matter what the job. I can easily solder 6swg wire with only a 3mm tip. Whatever you do, don`t even think about the lead free stuff.

01/11/2019 09:53:55

Making a start on mine. I have a few of the retracts shown in the picture above and had already decided to use them. I like the novel nose wheel steering, and would appreciate a pic. of the other side of that main wheel since I shall also be making mine that way.

Progress is a bit slow producing my own kit of parts but all of the ply has been cut. I ran into a slight problem straight away in that in order to fit the Power Fun units the EN holes need to be cut over size meaning that they are now sloppy in the mounts, overcome by wrapping a strip of 1/64th" ply between the stiffening rings, the rear one of which is slightly fatter than the front. I have plenty of 250 micron acetate so will try this for the tubes, meaning an even larger hole in EN4.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
30/10/2019 15:51:25

Having seen the original in the flesh I built one when the plan came out, OS 25FX powered. As far as I know it still exists, having been passed around the club a bit.

As for the whereabouts now of the mag. and plan, they will be buried amongst the rest of my junk somewhere.

Construction is quite simple and should give you no problems. What is missing from your plan? It would take me forever to find what you want now, but come back if you are really stuck.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us