By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Martin McIntosh

Here is a list of all the postings Martin McIntosh has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Solartex, any tips?
08/08/2019 23:03:15

Tried a sock once but it just made the job harder to do. It would be difficult to scratch Solartex but may be possible with other films. Having a thermometer is fine as long as you know what the temperature should be. Different materials such as ply will require a longer application of the iron/higher temperature.

Foxfan, if you gently pull the material from end to end and side to side when tacking on with a cool iron you should not have any areas which could possibly crease since it will shrink by about 10%. Solartex is easily removed for repositioning with the application of a little heat at this stage.

See if you can find `Martin`s i/c Tucano` on here for a step by step covering guide.

08/08/2019 18:02:13

I really cannot understand how anyone could have trouble applying Solartex. Just remove the backing, cut it to size and show it the model and it will almost jump up and cover the thing by itself! It is by far the easiest covering to put on in the world.

Seriously though, chuck that heat gun since it has no place whatsoever for any covering material. You will just over shrink it which will cause it to pull away from the joins, and more importantly, will not stick it to the complete wooden structure. This is very important to prevent it sagging in the sun.

I tried one of those covering irons once and gave it straight back to a mate. Useless in my opinion. I always use a cheapo travel iron such as a Steamworks. About a third of the price and after chopping off a few unwanted bits to keep them out of the way they are brilliant.

Tack the film on all round the edges at just above the No.1 setting then turn up to about No.3 and seal all round. Then lightly go over the rest, just hovering the iron. Finally press down all over to get it to stick to the complete structure.

Thread: Best Dremel Clone
08/08/2019 17:35:03

Bought a battery Dremel while I was in the US in 1998 for $50. The Nicad still holds full capacity and it gets lots of use, permanently fitted with a 1/16th drill. Left discharged for ages and the pack left on the 3hr charger for three weeks many times.

No use for many jobs since it is quite slow but great for 2mm self tapper holes, drilling out horns ready to be tapped m2 etc.

Got a Skil from B&Q many years ago, 35,000 rpm. The brushes wore out so it got chucked under the bench. Amazingly you can still get the spares so it has a new lease of life.

Also have an Aldi battery one which has been very good so far.

Thread: SC30 FS problems
07/08/2019 21:41:18

OK thanks.

07/08/2019 18:14:03

After removal of the offending ca I could not blow down a tube into the carb so I assumed that it was fixed but I was guessing at the low end setting of the barrel. Strikes me too that the needle is the wrong one. Will contact Just Engines about this to see if they can help.

Thread: Flexible power wires
07/08/2019 17:37:25

HK or Component Shop for the wire. Do not even think about extending the battery to ESC wiring. Even with the correct type of capacitors used on my Mosquito an ESC failed on take off on the second flight. Now repaired but not tested in the air with the ESC to motor wires extended instead.

Thread: Downthrust or Upthrust
07/08/2019 17:29:37

Built a Seibel from the RCM&E plan some years ago. It has the top mounted angled motor. On take off it just tried to drive itself into the ground. I would say that the motor needs a larger angle upwards away from the tail but I gave it up as a bad job in the end. Anyone want it?

Thread: SC30 FS problems
07/08/2019 17:20:29

I recently purchased one of these, supposedly as new in box, but sadly it was far from it. Every part, including the prop driver and each side of the carb, had been attacked with pliers by some moron. Anyway, my problem is that even with the idle needle screwed all the way in it is far too rich. The top end will not settle down either, and no matter where I set the needle the revs hunt up and down. I have tried other new OSF plugs, 5 and 10% nitro and a smaller prop to no avail.

On stripping the carb I found some ca on the idle needle seat thus preventing it from being screwed in fully. Removed it but this made no difference. Any ideas out there please?

Thread: The Ohmen
07/08/2019 14:46:54

Dean, just build it as per plan and it will be fine. I would assume that you will use two aileron channels so a cut out either side of centre will be the obvious thing to do. Fit the drawstrings before covering the wing.

07/08/2019 10:10:10

With the servos as far back as possible, just in front of the wing bolt plate, the battery on mine is more or less over the cg. This is with a 2200, but a 3000 will make it a tad nose heavy. Remember that the covering will move the cg rearwards.

Thread: servo repair
05/08/2019 11:36:09

No real need if you can find my album entitled 72" Spitfire, where there are a few of the gear mod.

05/08/2019 10:20:56

The units I modified are either Vailley or a HK copy, can`t remember which, 96deg. for a 1:5 Spit. but they fit my 1:6 fine. The 3mm servo rod conveniently screws straight on.

I always used to fit a separate retract battery but now only do so if not fitting ordinary electric ones since they have an auto shut off.

04/08/2019 22:10:49

I burnt out several Bluebird retract servos trying to get them to operate bomb doors. Fine until I started the motors. I should have checked that they were in the `no load` position both open and closed. I have used the system suggested by Cuban 8 above with great success, and my latest Spit. with these only has HS 5485 carbonite geared ones operating air units with the cylinders chopped off (lock up and down).

Thread: The Ohmen
02/08/2019 19:53:38

I have made these in the past but much simpler to buy a SLEC one. None too easy to position correctly which ever way you go.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
28/07/2019 22:54:53

Mine was the least powerful at W&W. I seem to remember 30cc petrols being the order of the day. Need a bit more for loops, and my Spit. was overpowered.

Thread: 2.5oz spinner on motor?
28/07/2019 19:16:26

No detrimental effect noticed with this set up.

28/07/2019 17:15:54

My 50cc powered 96" Hurricane has about 1kg of lead cast into the spinner would you believe. Very accurately set up with spirit levels whilst pouring in the molten metal. It has been flying for quite a number of years now, and so far there are no problems with the bearings. Great tickover!

Thread: Where to get Good RX switches from?
28/07/2019 17:06:26

The JR switches were probably the best available but sadly no more. Futaba are very similar but most may be copies now. Twin batteries/switches are a good idea but when using these I now fit HK Failover ones which are identical to the eye wateringly priced Powerbox offerings. No problems with these as yet.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
28/07/2019 16:45:44

Just got the 180 in mine as a replacement for the 155 which is now in my new Spit. Not too bad a job after sawing off the front part of the engine bulkhead so that it could be replaced with a wider piece; even the cowl fits without the baffles fouling. Will try to strip the bubbled paint from the u/c fairings and generally tidy it up whilst it is disassembled.

28/07/2019 16:37:36

Don`t understand what you mean Steve. Can you perhaps post a pic of the part? Do you mean where the opposing wires meet, if so, I did not bother on mine.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us