By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Flyer

Here is a list of all the postings Flyer has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog
18/02/2020 10:40:41

Impressive Chris. Look forward to seeing the finished model.

Ade

Thread: Alaskan Air National Guard Version
15/02/2020 22:20:25

Looking good Steve,

When you guys are joining the two halves, are you just ensuring that the keels are straight? Mark 1 eyeball method?

I've just started planking, and have used ammonia to assist the balsa in adopting the curve without too much stress. Fingers crossed.

Cheers

Ade

Thread: Flyer's F86 Sabre
15/02/2020 14:17:51

sabre airbrake deployed.jpgOk, now trying to work out the deployment of the airbrake. I made a mock up to prove that I've got the general idea. Not sure why the picture does not show correctly, but blames new iPhone!

The prototype is way out is shape over the shape shown on the plan, but this exercise was to establish the angles of the hinging. The opening mechanism should be a type of lever, from central, carbon push rod, transferred thro bell crank to 3mm pushrod and clevis.

sabre air brake prototype.jpg

Edited By Flyer on 15/02/2020 14:18:28

12/02/2020 10:49:25

The answer is yes.....

I've glued the basic frame, and will be commencing planking this evening. Is there any merit in brushing the outside of the plank with ammonia to aid the curving? And what width planks are suggested?

I'm looking at amending former 4 (from memory) in order to create a tub in which the pilot will sit. Just need to work out the clearance needed for the servos in the wing.

Canopy plug will be commenced this weekend; I'll post on my build blog that.

And thanks for pointing out the scale at 1/10th......... I had thought it was 1/9th blush Now that would really have pleased the scale police !

Cheers

Ade

11/02/2020 20:42:55
Posted by David Sack on 11/02/2020 20:36:38:

Captain 'Stalker' Grey (stalker - a person who hunts game stealthily) was produced by Real model Pilots:

http://realmodelpilots.co.uk

I'm pleased with the quality and although surgery was required for his legs he does fit the cockpit quite well. There was a thread elsewhere regarding these pilots, I cannot find it at the moment.

I've used Real Model Pilots in the past, great pilots, and they do look good when painted. However, for my F86(s), I've recently bought a 3D printer, so am printing a generic jet pilot. I know the scale police will mark me down, but, in my defence I am claiming the fact that these pilots are flying historic aircraft …….. they do take a while to print tho first attempt

Thread: Sackys FJ3 Fury
11/02/2020 19:20:51

With regards to marital bliss...….also refrain from utilising the conservatory as a spray booth...……………….. apparently the lady of the house can still smell the paint several days after actual spraying has taken place...…

Don't ask how I know blush

cheers

Nuggett

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
10/02/2020 21:39:51

New Octopii on order! dont know

Ade

08/02/2020 20:41:23

why 3?FINALLY !

Laid down plans this afternoon and have made a start. Have also been trying out new 3D printer to fill the cockpits !

Hope to join fuselage of number one next weekend. Started with the fuselage as I have been dreading the planking, and have never built a model like this before. Thanks to the other bloggs, and by studying the plans, it's actually quite straightforward.

Few pics to date.

Cheers

Adelaying out

04/02/2020 19:55:53

Looking good Chris. Just ordered 250 pins in preparation to planking, as I've seen how many pins all you guys are using!

Is it best to taper the planks over the whole length, or is it acceptable to cut the planks where they intersect?

Never been a boat builder lol

Cheers

Ade

Thread: Neil's attempt at a first scale model!
18/01/2020 17:59:45

Good to see you building Neil,

From memory, Martin has helpfully placed one of the formers exactly where it is needed to facilitate the hinging of the air brakes.

I'm sure he will confirm in due course.

Cheers

Ade

15/01/2020 21:56:58

Will be commencing build 1st Feb...…… build blog will be re-activated then. How I hate January (due to day job!). But it will pay for my hobby, so suppose I got to grin and bear it!

Cheers

Ade

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.
12/01/2020 21:52:39

It's just a flesh wound!!

devil

30/12/2019 19:12:51
Posted by McG 6969 on 30/12/2019 17:55:55:

... "building properly in February", Ade?

I do realize it's not a F1 GP, but my best guess is you will be painting the 'conservatory' in Gold again... devil

Cheers

Chris

Busy couple of weeks ahead Chris, so I thought I can sort out the 3d printed air brakes, so that when I'm building they should just slot in. I've also 'negotiated a two week period in Feb that I need to be home from work...…….' Building will commence at a rapid rate then, helped I must say, by the efforts of the lads. Will be making a 'special' canopy plug in the next few weeks, in between work.

Cheers

Ade

29/12/2019 21:51:58

Finally commenced building with the air brakes! First attempt at 3d printing, and another 3 to make. I'll be facing off the 3d print with balsa to conform to the fuselage profile. Hopefully show the hinging geometry shortly (once I've worked it out). img_0577.jpg

Will be building properly in February.

Cheers

Ade

27/11/2019 21:36:59

Nice work Chris

Will be playing catch up shortly. At least I will have the opportunity to make original errors.

Cheers

Ade

Thread: Fantasy Formula 1
19/11/2019 10:02:23
Posted by McG 6969 on 19/11/2019 09:36:56:
Posted by John Privett on 18/11/2019 22:17:16:
Posted by Flyer on 18/11/2019 16:37:53:

..... I'm about to settle down to fried octupii and chips.,............ devil

... I thought 'Calamari Fritti' would be a bit more classy for those poor overworked little animals... angel

Cheers

Chris

I don't think they deserved fancy food Chris lol. Anyway, one to go. May chose a squid instead.......... cheeky

Cheers

Ade

18/11/2019 16:37:53

Well done lads.................. I'm about to settle down to fried octupii and chips.,............ devil

cheers

Ade

Thread: Canadair F4 Sabre XB812
15/11/2019 12:06:48
Posted by Martin Gay on 14/11/2019 16:24:23:

That's not good Ade, you have more than one, and less than three models worth of balsa to assemble into ... something or other!

I'll probably end up with the 'other'........... cheeky

Cheers

Ade

14/11/2019 16:20:35

I have CDO.............Can't Do 'Owt !!

devil

Ade

Thread: Dave's F-86 build
13/11/2019 21:04:18

Hi David,

Did an order with Slec…….(for more than one but less than three), and was shade short or £90......including £10 post etc. Have you doubled up there somewhere?

Cheers

Ade

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us