By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mowerman

Here is a list of all the postings Mowerman has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
08/08/2019 09:30:56

I managed to draw blood on several occasions when launching 'Wild Wing' delta powered by a speed 400 fitted with a 'Guntther' prop so I can only imagine how painful that would have been. Hope all is soon well.

Thread: Model Recommendation
31/07/2019 09:55:28

Try a Nutball,

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
30/07/2019 09:40:06

Doing great Tony but please keep to Brit Jets, lots more to do ,'Fly Navy'.

Thread: Local club attendance
02/07/2019 11:20:29

Looking on the bright side, those members who pay their subs but rarely turn up actually subsidise those who do.

If only the regulars paid, could the club afford the site rent?.

01/07/2019 13:04:25

I am a member of a kit car club with a couple of hundred registered members but only abouit 20 turn up for AGMs, camping weekends, Christmas d'dos, and shows ( even when the bbq is free) It is not just model clubs that suffer from poor attendance and apathy.

Thread: Paid-for flying lessons
08/05/2019 16:43:06

A simulator would be a great help, not sure what is now available but a 'wanted ad' on here or in the mag may help or check Hobby King and other dealers.

I used FSM, a free sim about 18 years ago, sadly no longer supported.

Thread: RCM&E May 2019 issue chat
08/05/2019 13:03:59

In the jet jubilee feature there is An article on the Swiss Hunter and it's 'sabrinas' These were introduced just as the Hunter entered RAF service ( well before the Swiss got them I suspect). Initially these canisters were to collect the pressed steel links which held the shells together in a chain for feeding into the cannon. The brass cartridge cases were ejected from the guns with enough energy to fall clear whereas the light links just fell out and so could be drawn into the engine or rattle along the fuselage. The Swiss are more particular about this as much of the air firing is done over land that is also used as pasture for cattle, hence their sabrinas are bigger than the RAF version.

The story about the naming of these as Sabrinas was due to a young actress called Sabrina who was known more for her physical attributes than her acting, when the first Hunter was seen with the canisters fitted someone remarked that they 'look like Sabrina's' ( note apostrophe), giving everyone there a laugh, the name stuck. I suspect this pre-dates the Audrey Hepburn film.

Thread: Tell us about your most embarrassing stories from the field...
06/05/2019 15:58:01

I decided to fly my old 'hanger queen' but it was not behaving the way I remembered and the engine cut so I managed to get it back on the strip. Having checked the engine and found no fault off it went again still not right so landed and decided to go home to do a full check thinking maybe damp had got into the rx. That's when I realized the model was still on 35 meg so I had not extended the aerial !!With the aerial now extended I had a couple of good flights. About a month later II took the same model to another club site where it would not respond to controls, finally hitting a 6ft dry stone wall, cause once again the aerial was still retracted. all my models are now on 2.4G.

Thread: Unusual full size aircraft that would make something different to build!
22/04/2019 15:11:55

Blackburn B20 retractable hull flying boat.

I suspect this would be a challenge too far.

blackburn b20.jpg

Thread: Not my best ever flight test - or repairing foam board models!
19/04/2019 10:30:33

Fix a hook on the fus bottom and use a light catapult launch.

Thread: Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan
21/02/2019 16:17:46

Thinking about it !ooops.jpg

20/02/2019 17:55:14

My cruiser build has been going slowly with the fuselage built ready for covering, then disaster, when searching for some ply to make the sanding jig for the blades I lost my balance and managed to sit on the fuselage crying

Thread: Are all watts created equal?
14/02/2019 10:45:17

The difference that matters is the rated KV ( rpm/volt) of the motors so for the same power the higher KV will produce higher rpm. with a finer pitch prop.

Edited By Mowerman on 14/02/2019 10:48:06

Edited By Mowerman on 14/02/2019 10:48:31

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Hunter & Phantom
06/02/2019 11:04:39

Balsa Allergy Tony? Talk to Simon Chaddock.

Thread: Gatwick drone incident
24/12/2018 09:36:47

The couple who were arrested have now been released without charge but not until after their names and photographs were plastered all over newspapers. That should get a few legal aid lawyers rubbing their hands together.

20/12/2018 12:08:12

I believe there are regular patrols of the airfield to keep the runways and taxi ways clear of 'foreign objects' perhaps they should also carry shotguns to keep drones away.

Thread: Using Ammonia.
28/11/2018 10:06:05

Diluted to about the strength of window cleaner(or you could use window cleaning stuff) If you try it with neat ammonia the fumes will be a bit much so would need to do it out doors.

Edited By Mowerman on 28/11/2018 10:08:35

Thread: Hanging planes on the wall
19/11/2018 16:09:28

I would never hang IC models nose down as the clunk will sit folded back and may stick that way, nose up lets the clunk pipe keep straight.

Thread: Cruiser, November 2015 Free Pull out plan
30/10/2018 11:43:28

Malcolm

Head unit arrived this morning, looks good, great service, thankyou.

Roy

Thread: Altered my clock.
30/10/2018 10:24:51

I always leave my car clocks set to GMT, too much trouble to change and would be happy to keep to GMT if everyone else would.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us