By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gliders with no D box leading edge?
18/02/2019 21:10:37

The Easter Eagle senior is really intended for light winds. The fact taht the current owner has flown it in stong winds is purely bis slightly insane choice.

He actually used to fly Mystique glider. Now he has admitted that he never knew what a real glider could be like.

Today he made a 300 mile round trip for me to repair his standard EE.THat is how much he loves even that one.

18/02/2019 08:19:23

Why not build my Easter Eagle SEnior? Dead simple, and boy, does it fly!

**LINK**

Has been flown in 20mph winds.

You can also see my build blog here

**LINK**

Thread: RIZLA +
17/02/2019 18:41:51

I must add that Swamp Rat was orginally inspired by a similar Gary VInten design so full circle.

Thread: The Ohmen
16/02/2019 08:20:18

NO I was talking about the Ohem.

I designed for saving weight at the rear and then had to add lead.

Later I cracked one side of the tailplane and had to add a strut to support it.

A sheet tailplane is now a standard reccomended modification.

Thread: Field mower question
15/02/2019 13:55:40

Our Mountfield ride on with 4 stroke motor cost about £1400 8 years ago. It takes one hour and 15 minutes to cut the grass. A full two acres

Only expense apart from petrol has been a couple of belts.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/02/2019 13:56:19

Thread: The Ohmen
14/02/2019 21:12:43

I don't know.

Just a comment. I would make the tail out of 3/16" sheet, not built up.

Thread: Field mower question
14/02/2019 18:53:50

We have a Mountfield Ride on and it cuts our field well. Even the small foamies have no trouble taking offand landing.

I suppose that 1/4" grass might be needed for peanut scale but if anyone said our field should be cut as short as that they would be laughed off the field.

I wioll just mention that two members do all the mowing. one other has recenlty volunteered to take a share. Well done !!!

Thread: Found you at last
14/02/2019 08:39:37

My building boards are two 12" X 48" melamine covered chipboard shelves. I cover these with 10 mm thick cork tiles.

I can then build two wings at once up to the stage of joining (Read the Ooodalally instructions!)

That chain of shops called "The Works" sell A2 size cutting mats for £8. Bargain!

Thread: Paxolin
14/02/2019 08:33:44

Paxolin is more that strong enough and has the advanatge that it will break in the event of a crash saving the rest of the structure and the engine mounting lugs. It is a paper laminate.

Tufnol is a cloth laminate and is much much stronger so could actually allow damage to the structure of the model.

I bought a square foot of each off Ebay. I doubt if I will ever use the Tufnol

Thread: Oodalally
13/02/2019 21:00:01

Did youknow that if you carve a pattern from balsa or something fairly solid you can jam it into the bottle. applu heat and the bottle will shrink over the pattern.

13/02/2019 08:21:05

Funny, Mine was not too sensitive in the stall.. Possibly I didn't try to slow it down too much.

12/02/2019 21:12:49

Hi MIke.

I have used a cheap travelling iron from Argos in the past but a proper iron is best.

Acetone or nail varnish remover will clean her ladyships iron if you need to. Trust me.

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/02/2019 21:13:31

12/02/2019 18:58:15

Ah, I w as not quite sure what the first picture was.

I had not realised that it was the underside to the tail. I normally insert pl there to screw the tailwheel but I am sure that you spotted that on the plan

12/02/2019 18:34:13

The wing looks good.

The tail will be fine. Covering could be a little fiddly

You will be filling in between the sides where the tailplane sits. Filling in between the sides flush with the top of the sides and down to the double gives far more gluing area for the tail.

12/02/2019 18:18:02

There was a batch of horns made about the time of Oodalally that were brittle

SLEC scrapped the whole batch. Apparently the p;astic was not the normal type that they used. Not their fault.

I still bend them every so often but never have a failure since.

THat 8X4 prop sounds uselless for a model of the size. It is alwys more efficient to move a lot of air backwards slowly and a 10" prop or even bigger.

Why not give George at 4-Max a call.He will advise very accurately what you need. I know that I always call him for advice and it works.

In fact I will be calling him tomorrow for advice on mylatest design/

12/02/2019 15:12:54

If you use the micro servos metal geared ones are essential.

I got some Turnigy ones from Hobbyking which actually have a torque of 3 Kg per cm on six volts.

12/02/2019 08:32:01

Hi MIke

Welcome to Oodallay!

I have to say that I don't have a jig. I just use a pair of mark 2 calibrated eyeballs!!!

Another tip for the tail. I spot glue a piece of scrap 1/4 sheet down wherfe the tailplane goes. THen I spot glue another scrap of 1/4 sheet down where the fin goes. FInally I spot glue peices of 1/2 sheet or block in and shape gthe whole lot to match the rear of the fuselage.

Separate all this and you will have two blocks to fair in the the fin and elevators. This saves so much fiddly carving and shaping if you try and shape them with the tailin place.

Also you can cover the two fairing blocks before assembly...Again much easier.

Thread: How can I reverse a plan to build two wing halves
08/02/2019 18:14:00

Parafin is best as the plan goes back to normal.

The other way is to take it to aprint shop and ask for a mirror image. No mess, no smell.

Thread: Which was the best decade for the hobby?
08/02/2019 08:43:24
Posted by Jonathan M on 07/02/2019 19:31:47:

The answer - for me - has to be the present, or if you like the current decade.

I have a fabulous choice of stick and tissue FF plans from pre-War to the present which I can download and build from balsa ordered online (and a far greater range of other materials and equipment that a single model shop could ever carry), I can put together a 2-stroke classic pattern ship from a modern laser-cut kit, or stay old-school and build a trad Chris Foss aerobatic for 4-stroke or a similar era slope-soarer, or very quickly assemble an ARTF and bung in my own RX, plus I can benefit from very high-tech materials and extraordinary electronics and TX programming by way of a current DLG design or moulded slope-soarer.

On top of all this, there are superb resources and knowledge-bases online, enabling learning and communication that simply didn't exist when I was converting a Keil Kraft SE5A (from Henry J Nicholls on the Holloway Road) to Telco CO2... surprised it actually flew!

kk se5a 3 copy.jpg

Edited By Jonathan M on 07/02/2019 19:33:20

THat reminds me of my first club, The REgents Park MFC. We used to fly on Hampstead Heath and Epsom Downs.

I was only with them for a few months. I wonder if any of them are still around.

Thread: Doubler mistake
07/02/2019 18:14:42

I have Built one. Glued the doubler on with impact adhesive. I was dead lucky I actually had not stcuk them together. .I managed to get the impact adhesive off with Acetone. IT actually came off easily and left no residue.

I have also built two right hand wings. Pucliky only on a Veron DEacon which doexs not involve too much wood or work.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Revoc
CML
Overlander
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us