By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Moon Dancer 2
17/08/2019 18:34:59

Moon Dancer 2 has got NACA 3414 section.It works just like a symetrical section, it is just flat bottomed fromthe spar back for easier building. It is my standard section these days because I am lazy!!

To be honest I don't really go back to the older plans. I just draw a new plan that follows the general lay out with new span, chord, length and everything else. so they are all "based loosely on"

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2019 18:39:16

17/08/2019 10:38:36

I love writing so that is a pleasure in its self. I love designing and building just because I do and have done ever since I started modelling.

The fact that magazines and publishers and readers like my work is a wonderful compliment for which I am very grateful.

17/08/2019 09:05:18

I should be able to provide copies of all the plans published as full size plans. I can get them scanned ad PDF files.

The others I do not have copies of before I started getting them scanned. One of our club members does have all my old tracings going back a long way.He has more storage space than I do.

JUst for the record I looked at my lists an as far as I can say the score is:

Columns various 462

Articles 139

Product Reviews 63

Plans and drawings total 190 16 of these in the USA includes rehashed vintage models 3 views

178 original designs including published in two magazines

Grand Total of items not counting 5 books 854

Since 1974

10,000 up!!!!!"

Maybe I shopuld order a larger size in hats!!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/08/2019 09:06:39

Thread: Even Later In The Day
16/08/2019 21:12:15

Everyone, or at least many people ask about side and down thrust.

My desingns are set up with 0-0 incidence and thrust lines so they tend to fly straight. Any swing on take off is corrected with a quick dab of right rudder.

There have been many electric conversions including one in my own club.

Trust me, I am a bit of a bodger too. I tend to build too fast. Nothing wrong with a bit of a bodge.

Fellow club members will tell you that one of my common comments is "It looks good at 50 feet!"

At leat they don't fall to pieces in the air and they do fly well.

16/08/2019 21:05:46

Yes, Moon Dancer 2 will have a fuselage mounted U/C to keep it simple and save a bit of weight.

I do like variety but sometimes I am lazy and do a developement of an existing idea.

16/08/2019 08:59:34

Well my first published plan was 1974. That was 45 years ago.

I just noticed. three more posts and i have reached a magic number!!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 16/08/2019 09:00:31

15/08/2019 18:50:40

And only about 6 farmed out to other people to build.

15/08/2019 18:17:56

I just found that Dragon Dancer 2 was never included in my list of plans. THat brings me up to 190 plans with another plan next month.

I certainly like that series and several sizes and versions.

There was another one called Firedrake which was powered by an RCV 60 and fitted with retracts. It was a bit too heavy.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/08/2019 18:19:27

15/08/2019 14:07:39

Yes, I do like that styling. There was also an enlarged Moon Dancer built by another club member for .25s. Mind you, they were so long ago that they have been forgotten by most.

I am just waiting for my wood stocks to  arrive and will start building.

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/08/2019 14:08:37

Thread: Drones in the news - again...
15/08/2019 08:14:58

And would those cretins bother to pass the test and register their drones ? I doubt it.

Thread: C No Ohmen
15/08/2019 08:09:38

I always bend the elevator joiners with a big pair of pliers.

I only use my wire bender on 12 SWG and larger sizes. I have even bent 6 SWG wire on my bender but that was really taking the micky out it.

piano wire 001.jpg

14/08/2019 18:28:47

Miss Deeds is in the next issue of RCM&E

Moon Dancer is basically the same size as The Ohmen an Miss Deeds.

Thread: Even Later In The Day
14/08/2019 18:13:50

I will be watching and I will try to answer any questions.

14/08/2019 13:52:22

For a few months I have lacked any inspiration.I have built one of my old designs, The Waco PG2, and an old kit picked up on Ebay plus fiddled with another kit given to me that left me cold.

At last I have found the inspiration to do a bit of designing. The model is based on one of my older designs from 1993 called Moon Dancer.

This was a 36" span aerobatic model for the PAW 1.5cc diesel and came out in Radio Modeller June 1993.

I have now drawn up plans for for Moon Dancer 2. This is a 48" span model closely styled on the orginal but for electric power.

I have copied a picture of the orginal from the magazine to give you all some idea of what it will look like.

The power train is the one used in my Miss Deeds.

moon dancer.jpg

I hope it will flay as well as the orginal

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
12/08/2019 08:37:28

Talking of arm protection. A few years ago my OS 40 FS threw its prop. Luckily I had on a shirt, fleece AND jacket.

Considering all the protection and the fact that the prop was no longer attached to the engine. The bruise was quite impressive. Photo shows it.

Another club member had a Saito 30 four stroke throw a prop which got him in the hand. It too three stitches to sew the vein up and another four to sew the gash in the flesh up.

Even props no longer under power are pretty dangerous

Thread: Silver Spitfire
11/08/2019 11:27:47

I saw that on the news the other evening. Gorgeous!!

Thread: The Aerodynamics of the Spitfire
10/08/2019 18:48:20

Alittle while ago I read a book about Smith who actually did most of the developement work on all the marks of Spitfires.

In he states that when Mitchell was asked about whether they should go for the ellipticeal wing plan form he said "I don't care what shape it is so long as you can get the guns in"

Thread: Wing section help
10/08/2019 18:43:38
Posted by Monz on 10/08/2019 15:44:10:

Thanks for the help guys. Having a play around and the NACA 3414 (assume you meant that Peter?) fits almost perfectly at 2°.

Yes, NACA 3414. It would seem that they had modellers in mind when they designed the 109.smiley

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
10/08/2019 11:22:26

A little story about Blue Movie.

Shortly after it was published by Traplet they had the auditors in.

The editor was summond to the auditors office where they demanded to know why he had authorised payment for a blue movie!!!!.

The editor tried to explain that it was the name of a model plan but the auditors refused to believe him until he took a copy of the magazine along.

10/08/2019 11:17:53

Ah Yes, My original BLue Movie is still in someone's cupboard and another is in a Canadian home. They just cannot be destroyed. Beats foamies and everything else for long life.

I have the 3 views of Bob Lyjak's Taperwing. As you say, it would have to be i.c. for a .52 FS but as I say, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Addlestone Models
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us