By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hi, I'm Robin
22/04/2019 08:35:27

Ah Great!!! Another builder. Wermome indeed.

Like you Robin, I prefer I.C. but find that due to lazyness and advancing years I have found that electric power does have a lot of advantages

Thread: Holding screws in
22/04/2019 08:32:07

Use stiff nuts inside

Thread: Ballerina
20/04/2019 13:40:48

That sounds like fun. Gad you are still enjoying Ballerina

Thread: wire rigging
20/04/2019 08:23:44

SOmetimes one can find proper turnbuckles on EBay and other places.

Controlline wire makes excellent rigging wire but as others have said if the model does not actaully need rigging wire shirring elastic from any haberdashers works real well and does not need tensioners

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
19/04/2019 10:41:14

That looks a neat customization conversion

Glad it flies so nicely

Thread: The Ohmen
18/04/2019 18:13:47

Ah Well, ASfar as I am concerned my sports models are just designed to be thrown around in a long sequence of aerobatics. As I always say, the only time they fly straight and level is when they are inverted.

A Currare it is NOT and is not intended to be.

18/04/2019 09:00:23

Interesting that mixing two controls to correct errors in one manoeuver has no effect on the accuracy of another

17/04/2019 21:16:46

Ah!! Do you think that the pilots of Extras etc.rely on computers and mixers to perform properly? Do they stop after each flight and think "I want a little more rudder or elevator or ailerons mixed in to get that perfect"

Thread: Downthrust help needed please
17/04/2019 18:23:22

A high set pusher needs the prop pointing down, i.e up thrust. because otherwise the leverage willpush the nose down.

I built a scale Lake LA-4 Amphibian control line model many years ago. that used the scale up thrust and it worked well.

Actually a high set engine in tractor model will also need up thrust. So the prop willbe pointing up. The point is the thrusts line's relation ship to the centre of drag.

I always reccomend that people have a copy of Kermode's "Flight Without Formulae" As it has chapters discussing just this sort of thing with diagrams.

Edited By Peter Miller on 17/04/2019 18:26:02

17/04/2019 18:14:29

I am intrigued at the reference to rudder elevator mixing.

I just use the sticks separately.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
17/04/2019 11:51:34

thumbs up How very true

Thread: Y - O - Y - O - Y
16/04/2019 18:18:30

I use quiter a few Turnigy micro servos. Even among them the splines vary.

IDIOTIC.

I suspect that Turnigy scource their servos from various manufacuturerers.

16/04/2019 10:27:12

I must see how mine spins. I have spun it but can't remember any problems.

16/04/2019 08:23:40

That is interesting. I had not noticed that.

However I remember a discussion with Alistair Sutherland (I hope I got that right, it was a long time ago) WE where discussing Knife edge flight and he said that when the elevator extends over the area of the rudder the model tended to pitch nose down in knife edge.

Thread: How do you buy your Balsa?
15/04/2019 10:51:03

I used to buy a large stock but now I buy a smaller stack based on the next couple of projects plus a bit more. I like to have enough in stock to be able to build one of my usual designs without having to wait for extra materials.

I also keep a stock of snakes and all the normal hardware.

I am currently building a 62" span twin engined powered glider and can build the whole thing from my off cuts and new balsa stock. Just need motors and ESCs

Thread: RCM&E May 2019 issue chat
14/04/2019 18:17:21

Ahj! Claus Maikis. A great desinger of C/L stunters.

I still remember and apply one of the things he said about finishing a model.

Claus said that everyone looks at the nose and cockpit areas of a model, they never really look at the rest so if you concentrate on that area they will always think that your models are perfect.

Think about it, those are the areas we all look at.

Thread: Hello, Iím Phill
14/04/2019 08:26:40

Two strokes are less popular and maybe some clubs don't allow them but they are still around and used.

I have a few but I do prefer fourstrokes and I have to confess that I now find electric power is quite nice and easier for and ancient modeller like me to lug up the long slope to our field but then I do tend to fly smaller models in the 45 to 55" span range

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
13/04/2019 13:48:29

I sorted out my balsa scrap box a while ago, had a small bonfire.

I am now building a "new" model and making a point of using wood from the scrap box first and only cutting into a new sheet if I don't have any of the size I need.

I say "new" because I am buiding one of my old designs from the 90s again.

It is so relaxing because I don't have to think or work things out. I just build it.

13/04/2019 11:16:06

I have learned through long and bitter experience that if I leave one project to move on to another the first will NEVER be finished .

Thread: RCM&E May 2019 issue chat
13/04/2019 08:42:06

I just refreshed my memory. The Skystreaks had their wings held on with elastic bands.. I could never see the point for the 26. But then we used to cycle miles with a stunter across the handle bars of our bikes.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
CML
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us