By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Miller

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Miller has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Autumn is here...you been flying ?
15/12/2018 21:07:47

glemsford 1arrow jpg.jpgOn Tuesday it was calm, sunny and cold. I nipped out into the field in front of the house with my Super Scorpion and had one flight. That was enough..Since then it has been too cold for even that

Edited By Peter Miller on 15/12/2018 21:27:54

Thread: Christmas films worth recording
15/12/2018 18:08:09
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 15/12/2018 17:53:49:
Posted by Peter Miller on 14/12/2018 19:36:52:

Yes, Must record Mary Poppins BUT NOT THE REMAKE Sacriledge

As I understand it the new Mary Poppins films is not a remake. It's a continuation which takes place in the 1930s. One of the things I like about films set in earlier times (either made then or depicting the period) is enjoying the backgrounds. I watched the recent BBC drama 'Mrs Wilson' and enjoyed spotting the cars from my youth just passing by to set the scene.

I also watched 'Reach for the Sky' and the film about 'School for Scoundrels' with Ian Carmichael et al (especially Jeanette Scott who I fancied something rotten as a teenager). What strikes mostly is how dated the acting is and I remember both from their first releases. Both those are still on the iPlayer.

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 15/12/2018 17:56:06

Yes, I heard that on Radio 4 this morning. Some excerps of the songs sounded pretty good too.

Ah yes!! Jannette Scott. I still remember her. I had a big crush on her too!! There was a film in which she starred, I think itwas called "Now and Forever" but am happy to be corrected on that.

Thread: Little Miss Honky Tonk
15/12/2018 09:06:43
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 15/12/2018 08:56:29:

Peter, any news of when Little Miss Honky Tonk may get published in RCM&E?

I am told that probably it will be in the issue that comes out in January or possibly the following month.

15/12/2018 08:29:19

Hi Paul

I checked the battery location. It is attached to the fuselage side under the plate where the wing bolt nut is.

As I think I have said, Little Miss Honky Tonk flies like a fully aerobatic Super 60.Did I say that her party piece is square loops with a half roll on each leg? She is slow enough to do that without having to rush things

Peggy Sue 2 is a model that I only fly straight and level when it is inverted.The orginal smaller one was exactly the same.Just string loops, rolls spins, stall turns and everything else in one after the other.

14/12/2018 21:05:47

That sounds great. Can't remember where I put the battery without going upstairs in the cold.

That power is perfect.

Hope the weather is better over Christmas.

Thread: Christmas films worth recording
14/12/2018 19:39:25
Posted by Peter Christy on 14/12/2018 18:37:53:

Not a film, but probably worth recording:

**LINK**

It was the techies' Xmas tapes that inspired "It'll Be Alright On The Night" and its never-ending sequels! But the Beeb ones were the original and best!

(Interest declaration: I worked there, and recorded some of these!)

They've probably had to hack it back quite a bit to make it transmittable, but there should still be some classics in there. ITV actually used to run an unofficial contest over Xmas (when all the management were away) for the best Xmas tape. Unfortunately, the ITV ones were definitely too raunchy for public airing.....! (Not to mention the possibility of all the libel suits...!)

laugh

--

Pete

Way back in the 50s and 60 the staff at cinemas used to be asked if they wanted "The Film" and this was a collection of bloopers etc purely for the cinema staff and NOT to be shown to the public.

14/12/2018 19:36:52
Posted by john stones 1 on 14/12/2018 18:13:30:

Zulus....Thousands of em Marry Poppins.

Yes, Must record Mary Poppins BUT NOT THE REMAKE Sacriledge

I have ZULU and Jaws on DVD.

14/12/2018 16:22:51

I hjave it on DVD with Die Hard 2

14/12/2018 15:16:58

Just checking the Radio TImes.

Monday, 24th December, BBC 2 9.25 to 11.30 AM

Those Magnificent Men in their Flying Machines

The recorder will be set.

Now to carry searching

Thread: Sanding Dust - What do you do with yours?
12/12/2018 11:54:13

On Dust and/or balsa chips. I always tellpeople that I know when it is time to hoover the stairs...When the balsa chips reach the bottom step. (True)

Balsa dust in the workshop? There is balsa dust in my workshop that has been there for years. I do clean the bench down though.

As for standard questions.Well, I never hear the one that was standard back in my younger days. "Did you build it yourself mister"

Or the comment that used to be the most common when people stooped at out pit area when we flew on a local football area."Ooh! Look! Its got a little man in it!" Now that one does annoy me.

Thread: 3D Printed fuel tanks
12/12/2018 11:42:02

Hi John

I tend to just slosh a bit of fuel around in the tank. Never had problem with flux in a tank and I have been making/using them since about 1955

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/12/2018 11:44:38

Thread: Cutting steel wire
12/12/2018 08:35:10

Lead solder is the only stuff worth using. It is safe for normal use, the problem is possibly in an industrial situation.

Thread: 3D Printed fuel tanks
12/12/2018 08:25:00

Commercial plastic tanks are blow moulded so are not any more porous that the gallon cans that your fuel comes in. Most bottles are blow mounded.This is done by extruding a tube of softened plastic then clamping a mould round the tube and blowing it up with compressed air.

3D printed tanks are formed by laying on multiple laywers of plastic which will have thin gaps between the layers hence the porosity

Metal tanks are easy.They just take a little more time.

Two dodges that you might like to know.

1) If you are fitting brass tubes into the tinplate make the hole by knocking a nail into the tank. This makes a small indentation round the hole.You then get a fillet of solder which is much stronger than you get round a drilled hole.

2) To fit a normal tank bung into a metal tank, Buy a 20 mm brass conduit bush. Cut the threaded portion down to 5 mm. Solder this into the tank and you can then fit a normal rubber bung.

destiny const 1 001.jpg

destiny const 1 002.jpg

destiny const 1 009.jpg

This is the Tank for Destiny. see my build blog for more detailed photos and instructions

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/12/2018 08:27:21

Edited By Peter Miller on 12/12/2018 08:30:03

Thread: Inexpensive lightweight GoPro type video camera?
11/12/2018 08:54:29

I can agree the Mobious is a terrific little camera.

Two screeshots from a mobious camera

easter eagle 2.jpg

easter eagle 1 edit (1).jpg

I had a Gopro Hero 5 and it wasn't nearly as good, see below

gopro1.jpg

Edited By Peter Miller on 11/12/2018 08:57:31

Thread: Ebay sellers...
10/12/2018 20:52:42

Well,as we used to say, "A blind man would be glad to see it"

As for the fuselages, Only comment. I wish he would buy a camera witha flash gun....On second thoughts perhaps not!

Thread: The Ohmen
10/12/2018 15:38:11

Hi Trevor

So glad that you are happy with her.

Toying with another unusual scale subject.at the moment . just a bit of fun

Thread: Plane for new engine - any suggestions?
10/12/2018 11:19:47
Posted by Denis Watkins on 10/12/2018 09:47:03:
Posted by Martin Levy on 09/12/2018 22:16:51:

Just bought a lovely 30 size four stroke. Any suggestions for a nice plane to put it in. Happy to go with any kind of plane and can scratch build

Have flown this motor on a number of models Martin, so am offering some guidelines.

5% nitro fuel is fine, but 10% does give noticeable increase in performance.

10 x 6 is maximum prop size, but my best performer was on 9 x 5 and 9 x 6

Wingspan ideally 48" to 52"

Weight 1250grms, about 2.5lb, but it will fly 3lb marginally

This is of course affected by airframe style

I agree with those specifications entirely

10/12/2018 08:45:26

My original Peggy Sue was designed for the SC 30 FS. Totally aerobatic and a dream to fly.

Plans here

**LINK**

Thread: Connecting Throttle
09/12/2018 08:40:49

This is my system for confined spaces. Taken fromy Ballerina build blog.

The wire joggle can be much small and it can even be inserted difectly iro the hole in the throttle arm. I use this on most of my four stroke engines

ballerina const 036.jpg

Thread: Ebay sellers...
08/12/2018 08:32:45

Any old iron, any old iron, any,any old iron?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us