By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for rathers

Here is a list of all the postings rathers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Maricardo builders
16/12/2009 18:52:43

I have built 4 Maricardos following the article in 2004 and I''m attaching a pic of my latest. It is an excellent all round plane for a club flyer like myself but will also perform great aerobatics as demonstrated by our club examiner Shane Harding who flew a perfect rolling circle when he test flew it for me. My version has an OS 46 AX, bigger tank, diferential aileron throws and 4 degree side thrust.

However, the plan leaves a lot to be desired and conflicts with the article. The former dimensions are wrong, the fuselage does not match the modified wing and you cannot buid the cockpit/tank bay from the plan but have to make it up as you go along. There are a number of other minor errors. Nothing that an experienced modeller cannot fix but it is a pity that the plan was not been modified after I spoke to Graham Ashby soon after it was printed.

For this latest version I had Belair produce a laser cut parts set ( dimensions modified) which at £70 was pretty good value although ther were a couple of minor errors.

I''m sorry to seem to be  carping but this might help other builders and the plane is certainly worth the effort.

Ken Rathborne

Thread: The March Grand Prize Draw
05/03/2008 17:42:00

I never win anything but ok

Thread: The Triplane/s build thread
22/01/2008 16:47:00

To transfer parts accurately from a plan this might be a helpful tip and much easier than making card templates. 

I usually go to a local print shop and get them to make two or three copies of the plan. I then roughly cut out the shapes slightly oversize and mount them on the depron or balsa using 3M Spray mount. You can the cut round with a sharp knife and get perfect parts. The paper template can then be easily peeled off or, in the case of the Fokker formers for example, left in place to strengthen the depron.

This also keeps the original plan clean for future use.

Thread: Motor, ESC * battery for Fokker DR1
05/01/2008 16:31:00

Could Cyril Carr or someone give me a specific power train recommenedation for the Fokker Triplane featured in the November issue. He mentions a C&K brushless or similar and a 3sp 359mAh Lipo

I would like to use the original motor, ESC combination and not experiment with alternatives since I am  not particularly knowledgeable in this complicated area. I would appreciate it if I could get an actual spec and supplier for the power train.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!