By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ady Hayward

Here is a list of all the postings Ady Hayward has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Glass clothing
31/07/2017 16:08:34

Sorry wrong post

Edited By Ady Hayward on 31/07/2017 16:11:06

31/07/2017 01:38:39

I get my glass cloth from my LHS and usually use the 18g or 25g per square metre. I seem to differ here in that I use the water based varnish to apply it to both foam and balsa airframes. The system works well and gives a nice surface for paint and above all is easy to apply without much weight gain. I do admit it doesn't add much strength but the airframe should be strong enough anyway, and the resulting surface is scuff resistant. The main benefit in my mind is that there is a reasonable amount of time to apply the glass before the varnish cures so if you are not happy with the fit the cloth can be dampened with the varnish and lifted off and repositioned. It does of course leave a good surface for painting for a glass smooth finish or let the weave show to give the surface a fabric covered look.

Adrian

Thread: New Laser engines. What do you want?
31/07/2017 00:14:16

A nice 3,5 7 or 9 cylinder radial would be lovely for my scale models but could I afford it and live after SWMBO finds out???....probably not, at least not with an intact body. We can dream but the price of production brings us down to earth rapidly.

Thread: Caption this...!
13/07/2017 18:47:02

The book definitely said "Take off in to the wind" but no one told them where it is.

13/07/2017 18:43:13

All clear above and behind..............Of what??????

Thread: Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc
04/06/2017 22:41:31

Hi Martin. I believe it is usually on the hardware shelf next to the unobtanium. I've looked everywhere and haven't found any to date. At least with the huge wing area a few oz more isn't going to hurt.

28/05/2017 22:14:31

I think in most cases

the culprit has to be the covering and finishing although the balsa can make a huge difference. One of my designs had the prototype turn out at 2lbs where I had been careful with the wood selection. The 2nd one was 5oz heavier though it did have a cruciform tail as opposed to the V-tail of the prototype and less attention to the wood selection. Both balanced ok with just Lipo position being slightly different by a few mm.

As you say the weight difference is only a small amount and with the Spitfires large wing area does make it more tolerable to such changes. I must say that the wood selection thus far has been fantastic.

28/05/2017 12:21:28

Hats off to you Richard.

A good choice of balsa can make a great difference to the final weight, as can careful application of glues and (If used) paint. It will be a hard target to beat.

PS. You didn't fill the wing and fus with helium by any chance?wink 2

28/05/2017 00:54:26

Wow! That heavy

29/04/2017 10:55:20

Hi Dick,

That flight must have been awesome. You have a good many envious followers now. Your choice of subject is fantastic as you just don't see 2 seater model Spitfires flying. I wish you all the best with your build and hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

Just remember there is no such thing here as a stupid question, and we are all here to help if you need some help with the build.

Adrian

Thread: Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.
11/04/2017 20:14:27

Hi Bucksboy,

That was exactly the method I used on my Ju88​. It works well and I can definitely say that with flaps and gear down the Ju would need power to keep airspeed up even on a 20-30 degree glideslope so when flared there are only a couple of seconds before the aircraft is too slow to fly so kangaroo style landings just did not happen.

Adrian

16/03/2017 16:03:01

A removable tailplane will no doubt add more things that could fail Although the idea is valid the keep it simple just adds reliability in my experiences.

Adrian

Edited By Ady Hayward on 16/03/2017 16:03:28

14/03/2017 23:02:31

Von Wreckedoften and Von Ruipfahrten

Thread: Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build
12/03/2017 21:46:57

Hi Andy. She's looking good. Impressive flight performance as a model. One I'm sure you will really enjoy.

Adrian

Thread: The Warbirds Replicas Macchi C.202 is Landing!
02/03/2017 23:22:48

Hi Brian. I like your hinge work, very neat and I must try it on one of my next builds as it looks a good bit simpler than those on my Ju88.

Adrian

26/02/2017 11:47:28

Hi Brian, A very nice build of a fighter that is not seen very often. It is great to see that there are nice tweaks like the hinge holes being pre cut as these are a constant source of issues for those with few builds under their belts. The Spitfire kit was very nice, but now that the 3D printed parts are available it really opens the scope for more adventurous scale detailing for minimal weight penalty.

Adrian

Thread: Warbird Replicas Ju88 Night Fighter build
17/02/2017 20:20:43

Hi Andy,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The past couple of weeks have been hectic with builders/ plumbers in the house and now I have some normality until the next batch of upgrading. The pictures should be self explanatory but the following should help.

The flap servos were placed in the forward bottom area of the nacelle to allow the battery to drop as deep as possible into the rear bottom of the battery bay.

sdc13098.jpg

Note that the snake allows the battery and cable to pass by albeit with slight interference fit. The ESC is placed across the nacelle front passing the cables between the outer skin and the vertical supports. The ESC rests in the forward lightening holes and is free to move a little.

sdc13099.jpg

The battery goes in cable end first doubling backwards to join with the ESC connector above the Lipo.

sdc13101.jpg

sdc13103.jpg

The top front of the lipo rests forward and lays just under the nacelle cover as I built it. I have fitted 4s cells from 3000 to 3600 without problem. Should the battery lift up, the mechanical advantage of the magnets at the rear hold down any pressure exerted thus far by the Lipo bearing under the front edge of the cover.

I hope this helps

Adrian

Thread: When is a Triplane not a Triplane?
13/02/2017 19:51:51

Tin hat on: Doesn't the wing between the wheels count?

Thread: Warbird Replicas Spitfire LF mk IXc
11/02/2017 18:43:26

Hi Paul,

Your panel lines look good with the highlights, plus the staining is convincing. All in all a very professional finish to the model making it definitely on to be proud of.

Thread: Can You Name ALL These WW 2 Aircraft?
09/02/2017 16:41:46

Yay 46 from 49. Some were process of elimination though. As others have said some were a bit questionable but nonetheless a fun quiz. Need one on modern planes, ww1 and civvies.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!