By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Bernard

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Bernard has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fieseler Storch
22/08/2019 11:25:56

Its coming on nicely!

Thread: Nice gesture from Hobbyking
18/08/2019 20:52:56

He says on another video that he fell and cut his wrist to the bone, severing tendons and nerves. Apparently the tendons should heal in 6 weeks or so, but they would not comment on the nerve recovery. Let's hope for the best - he's quite a character!!

Thread: Difficulty finding a previous thread
18/08/2019 20:46:41

i just put 'hurricane tailwheel' in the search at the top of the posts, leaving the thread title as "All Topics" and got straight to it!

Thread: Fieseler Storch
14/08/2019 19:48:25

Don't know if you have seen it but RC Model Geeks has done a full build of the DW Storch - in 35 YouTube videos!

The first is here. Some are hard work, but worth persevering with for the many tips he gives.

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
06/08/2019 16:55:05

And exactly the same answer was given to a question Lee Rowley submitted regarding the publicising of the new regs. In neither case was the actual question answered. Not surprised but makes me wonder why we bother paying their wages.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 06/08/2019 16:55:22

02/08/2019 13:00:57

Personally I do not object to registration and a small charge, other than it is totally unnecessary and will achieve nothing beneficial for the aviation community.

What I do object to is the misinformation, misleading and illogical way this has been approached.

We all know that the associations have registration systems that could be tapped into. This has been totally ignored other than for some woolly comment saying that this option is not suitable. Legislation could be introduced to enforce all pilots to belong to one of the associations - same cost level as the registration scheme with the benefit of insurance, support, training etc.

Costs quoted are ridiculous and rising. I am seeing reports that the development costs are now expected to hit £4m. According to CAP1775 the £16.50 was calculated by anticipating 251,000 registrations and renewals in the first 18 months.

Using this same figure only 61% of the £4m development and £2.8m running costs would be recovered. To recover the full amount the registration fee would need to be £27.

Of course we know, or expect, that the registration numbers will be nothing like that. If we assume an optimistic 50% actually register then the registration fee would need to be an annual £54, (but likely increased after year 1!).

If they do not get the income then it will be coming out of our taxes and we will still be paying for an overpriced, over spec'd application that achieves nothing.

As a final point, apparently Defra had a similar system running back in 2007 to register game shooters. Allowing for inflation this system was still less that £500,000 annually to run!

Feel free to shoot me down in flames here - I would really like to be proved wrong, then I would not feel so aggrieved!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 02/08/2019 13:03:17

31/07/2019 19:04:32

Yes, that's right. He tabled the questions after I moaned about the answers we had had up to then - but of course we got the same answers!

Seems that unless the group is hundreds of thousands of people moaning, with headlines in the Daily Wail, then you just get walked over.

31/07/2019 16:25:39

It will be interesting to see the answer to one of the other questions Lee Rowley submitted - "To ask the Secretary of State for Transport, what assessment he has made of the potential merits of using British Model Flying Association drone registration data to avoid duplicate registrations in the UK Drone Registration Scheme."

I guess it will be the same woolly 'not fit for purpose' type answer!

Thread: Oracover Easycover Sold As Seconds
26/07/2019 20:15:43

Like Tony I didn't like the stuff. I used it for my Nijhuis Sabre but after Solarfilm and Hobbyking films I found it very problematical.

One of these being the adhesive seemed to be over sensitive to radiant heat from the iron. As you applied the film and sealed the edges i found the excess film started to get sticky and started to adhere to both itself, and areas already covered before you had a chance to trim it off.

Plus as you finished off a piece, then if you were not careful the adhesive would soften and in getting rid of a final crease an edge would get soft and pull away or shrink.

Come back Solarfilm - all is forgiven!

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
26/07/2019 19:01:03

Tony - I did it tail down for the reason brokenenglish mentioned above.

However since at the moment there are no wings or cockpit on the fuz it's no issue so out of curiosity I did it nose down on a fresh battery and got much the same - 16oz/454g thrust.

And I hate to admit it but yes, I had copied off the wrong side of the plan for the canopy - duh!

25/07/2019 21:40:47

I am wondering how accurate my thrust measurement is. I simply inverted the model over the kitchen scales as close as I could to the scales without touching them, and then gave it WOT.

I'll stick the wings back on and try adding that cheat hole.

As to the canopy I must have traced off the wrong side of the plan! Never mind, have plenty of pop bottles!

Thanks again Tony - I'll post any updates.

Looking forward to building the Provost next.

(And must summon up the courage to maiden the Vulcan too.)

Thread: Hitec Optima Aerial Mount
25/07/2019 19:30:27

Dai - have sent you a PM

Thread: BMFA hosted club web sites
25/07/2019 18:43:07

Great - thanks for the update.

25/07/2019 10:59:23

Hi Stuart.

OK, the problem is nothing to do with the websites but is a known Safari issue - in fact I got that error myself earlier simply using Google.

I get it quite often across various random sites. Usually I just hit reload and the site will load fine.

If that doesn't work then there are a number of suggested remedies such as clearing the Safari cache or the browsing data.

You could also try an alternative browser such as Chrome or Puffin.

I find that when it happens with me the WiFi signal indicator has dropped to one bar which supports one of the theories I saw on line, in that the error occurs during the initial 'handshake' between the browser and the server. If that does not complete successful, e.g. due to signal issues, then the server sees it as a rogue connection and rejects it.

Hope this helps.

24/07/2019 21:58:39

Thanks Tony - appreciate the answer - but if I understand you correctly you are saying that it should fly OK, even with a 2200 and the problem is just that it needs a large cheater hole adding?

If so what makes mine, built as per plan, different to yours and the others who say theirs fly OK? (I feel sure that I built accurately, CG was right etc)

Happy to try anything - just need to understand.

Edited By Colin Bernard on 24/07/2019 22:06:50

Thread: BMFA hosted club web sites
24/07/2019 20:02:10

Stuart,

A few questions...

What do you actually see on your iPad? Do you get an error message; partially filled page ? etc

What URL are you using? Ours, for example, is **LINK** and displays fine on my iPad 4.

What iPad are you using?

Do you have this problem with any non-BMFA Wordpress sites? For example **LINK** ?

If you have a PC do the sites appear OK on that?

Not sure I have any answers, but the extra info may nudge some boffins into a solution!

24/07/2019 19:46:35

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

Piers - appreciate the compliment, thanks! (Not looking quite so good now I've ripped the wings off to get at the ESC for testing!)

I agree with you, and the others in that swapping to a 1500 would pay dividends - I just didn't have any at the time.

Ron - yes my cheater holes are further forward than the plan due to servos. I wanted to put them as far back as possible to give me more room in the cockpit area. It's cramped enough in there. The position should not make much difference though - the main thing is the amount of inflow available in front of the fan.

Interestingly, all my testing has been with the cockpit lid off the fuselage and the battery hanging down the outside of the fuselage in an attempt to get the best reading possible. This gained about 10% over the fuselage closed with the battery inside - not as much as I thought.

Alan - the model is built as per plan. If you have a look at the mag you can see the LiPo sitting in the bottom of the fuz. The 'pannier' is a hand hold to assist hand launching - unless I have missed some pics somewhere.

Steven - your results are interesting. I see it still falls short of the 620g FMS claim and the 700g some have reported. With you using a proper test setup I trust those figures more than simply upending over some kitchen scales which is what I do currently.

So next steps - compare the AEO; get some 1500 LiPos; stick the wings back on; try again!

23/07/2019 17:55:54

Cant check the fan in the model without chopping up the fuselage but it was certainly a 3S order!

The other fan is definately the 3S version.

As to the voltage, yes that was the off load voltage to stop someone wondering if tbey were fully charged or not. They were and showing 98%.

When running i focus on amps and watts. But i did note the voltage on running which started at 11.8V, dropping quite quickly to around 11.2V.

Edited for typos...

Edited By Colin Bernard on 23/07/2019 17:57:09

23/07/2019 16:48:43

Thanks for the quick replies - but already thought along these lines.

As to the AUW this is down to my using a 2200 rather than the 1500 Tony uses in his lighter version. Can't take any more wood out - sanding through in a couple of places as it is! And there is no paint on it other than the flashes. Having said that, the AUW does not affect the thrust.

ESC has been calibrated, and the LiPos were giving 12v or more on the wattmeter.

I thought about the 'C' rating and tried with an almost new 45C graphene. That simply gave me an extra 10g of thrust, as did testing it with the cockpit cover off in case not enough air was getting through.

Re duct obstruction, all wires have been hot glued out of the way so the only wires to be seen looking down the nose are those from the LiPo.

And don't forget I did test another fan in the open and got much the same, (hence the plastered thumb), so airflow is not an issue.

I'm sure you can understand my bewilderment here. I already use the FMS 70mm fans and they are superb but am starting to doubt these.

I do have the AEO fan, so I guess the next step is try an open test with that, but need to get it soldered up first.

23/07/2019 15:55:30

Well my Sabre was finished and ready for its maiden - and failed miserably, getting effectively a 30' powered glide with its FMS 50mm fan.

During my testing I am getting nothing like the thrust others are reporting with their fans so looking for ideas!

Stats: AUW = 21oz

LiPo: Dynamic 2200 3S

At WOT I got 32A, 378W

Holding the Sabre over the kitchen scales I got a max of 460g (~16oz) thrust but that soon dropped to around 350g.

I tried the same using a brand new identical fan and still got the same - 470g.

Interested in any thoughts so I can get this bird flying as at the moment it is putting me off trying any other of Tonys mini jet projects.

20190616_112933.jpg

BTW - safety tip. If you have to hold an EDF unit to test it, hold the shroud at the motor end. I held it at the other end and got a cut. When at speed the blades stretch and almost close the gap between tip and shroud. Although I was using a very light pressure to hold it was enough to close the gap so that the blade tip sliced through the shroud and the side of my thumb! An EDF test mount is now being designed!

Edited By Colin Bernard on 23/07/2019 15:56:36

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us