By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Parkside hand held jigsaw
16/07/2019 06:17:49

+1 yes

Here for example - take your pick.

Thread: Newbie with some starter trainer plane balsa IC questions please.
14/07/2019 09:58:43

One argument is to buy the best you can reasonably afford. It is not just about the number of channels or necessarly about the number of features available as, if you are anything like me, you will only use a small proportion of what your Tx can do. However, some of the more expensive Txs have a better build quality, a larger LCD backlit screen, LiFe battery, smoother gimbals etc. If you feel this would give you a better user experience - and you are prepared to pay for it, then why not, even if it is your first radio?

Don is also right, get a basic (branded) radio for £100 and flog it after a season or two for £50 on eBay. Not a big hit, and it gives you time to assess what is best for you longer term. You may even find that you like your basic radio as it does all you want. Horses for courses.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/07/2019 10:05:16

Thread: Which Servo Sould I Use?
14/07/2019 06:57:25

The 81s are not ball raced and not really up to it in my view. I agree with Percy, the 85s are great servos particularly if you get the MG version, although more expensive. The corona 939MG work well and I have little doubt they will be adequate. I used one as a replacement elevator servo in a 2.4m e-glider. Size is not everything!

Thread: Keil Kraft Caprice CoG
14/07/2019 06:21:22

My dad built the similar but smaller KK Conquest FF glider many moons ago. It had a very large lump of plasticine in it's nose but flew quite well. Putting a battery in the nose for radio control is, at least, useful weight with the added benefit of avoiding a flyaway (purists look away now!).

I don't think too much surgery is required John apart from just drilling a hole in the nose block, add a slug of lead and fill hole!

I am not too sure where the logic of a lifting tailplane came from with these vintage models. Perhaps the thinking was that both mainplane and tailplane contributing to lift was more efficient than the wing providing lift whilst the tailplane producing negative lift (and stability). Perhaps the lifting tailplane might also produce less drag although most vintage models were pretty draggy.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/07/2019 06:33:26

Thread: Waterproof glue
07/07/2019 08:36:19

Hi Den, I have built a couple of waterplanes and generally use Cyano but I epoxy/glass the fuselage. If you film cover the flying surfaces make sure the seams are well sealed. If you are sensitive to cyano and decide to use PVA make sure it is waterproof PVA and not just for the 'lower hull' as from my experience water gets in everywhere. I also doped the inside of the fuselage too as it will get wet.

Good luck and what are you building?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/07/2019 08:40:19

Thread: Beginner Questions
07/07/2019 08:02:28

Hi and a welcome from me James.

The trouble with small lightweight models is that they are ... small and lightweight! They start small and once they leave your hand (too small to ground take-off from grass) become a tiny spec in the blink of an eye, so difficult for orientation. They are thrown around by any wind apart from dead calm and get wrecked easily when they hit the ground. Yes they might glue back together quick but that will add weight with each subsequent repair. Being small, weight is their enemy. I thought I would clarify that!

I expect you have seen the Bixler on the Hobbyking site before. They seem to be out of stock for the larger Bixler 3 but they do have this smaller one in the EU warehouse. Incidentally this is the PNP version which means you will need a Transmitter, a receiver some 3s 2200mAh LiPo's and suitable charger. Don't be tempted to buy models from Hobbyking's Global Warehouse unless you can afford to pay the hefty UK HMRC duty and handling charges. You have been warned!

The advantage with this type of model is that it has a low wing loading (large wing area for its weight) which should make it more relaxing to fly in that you can keep up with it instead of guiding a missile. The result should be that you crash less/fly more and get 'stick time' - and learn. You will notice that the prop is behind the wing so that you may break less propellers after an 'arrival'. It is not as sexy as a Spitfire but the advantage is that you will get to fly it more than once and your flight time will be measured in minutes not milliseconds.

As Percy says, check out that local club you mentioned and see what they are using before you get out the old credit card. smiley

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/07/2019 08:11:54

Thread: Car indicators
05/07/2019 09:20:45

Try driving in India, simply unbelievable and very scary! The rule is, there are no rules.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 05/07/2019 09:25:32

05/07/2019 09:18:09
Posted by Peter Miller on 05/07/2019 08:43:49:

I once followed a police car round a roundabout, he took the third exit as I did.

HE NEVER INDICATED ONCE!!!

That is probably because he was driving a BMW Peter. wink 2

Thread: RCME June 1994.
27/06/2019 07:28:30

If I were considering retracts I would definitely do a built up wing as it can be properly engineered and more likely to survive a hard landing than retracts screwed to wood, bonded to foam. That's just me.

Thread: 1/4 scale Piper Cub cowl wanted
27/06/2019 06:51:54

World Models do a quarter scale Piper Cub (clipped wing) and Stave Webb is the UK distributer, although I doubt he has any spares so it may be best to email World Models directly. Radar Hobbies in Hong Kong are the retail outlet for World Models in Hong Kong and they keep some spares in stock but they can get parts from the World Models factory in Shenzen. Could be worth a quick email to them at info@radarrc.com. You could also WhatsApp them as they speak good English and I have always found them helpful. Incidentally, they do three colour schemes, Yellow, Red/white, and blue/white.

Why does an ASP160 rule out a cowl fabricated from wood, it is a fairly simple shape? Personally I would make a plug from foam to mould an epoxy/glass cowl. Time consuming if quite satisfying to do and not too irksome as you got the rest of the airframe ready built.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/06/2019 07:16:12

Thread: Li`l Cub
26/06/2019 06:17:28

Thanks for that Martin, here is the product from Amazon with free delivery.

Good luck with the maiden flight.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/06/2019 06:18:34

Thread: Seagull Hurricane Laser
25/06/2019 07:53:30

Very nice repair Tim, it looks great.

I expect you had, although you didn't mention it earlier but did you have some differential aileron dialed in with your set up? You mentioned that you were using quite a bit of rudder to help the turn as you said 'the right aileron seemed ineffective'. This might suggest there was some adverse yaw from the ailerons. Just a thought?

Thread: Li`l Cub
25/06/2019 07:25:38

Martin, which adhesive are you using to glue the dowels together? I was wondering if it might be possible to tie them together with carbon tows for extra strength without unsightly lumps around each joint?

Be interesting to hear how she goes on the SC 30FS. yes

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
25/06/2019 07:10:29

Warm, moist, anticyclonic air = Thunderstorms. So difficult (impossible) to predict when, if, or how badly, you will be affected on the day (if at all). Thunderstorms can be very isolated but wind direction and speed in their vicinity can change rapidly as they pass by. To quote Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry, 'Do you feel lucky, punk?'

May the weather Gods be with you!

Thread: Foam2Foam glue
19/06/2019 21:25:01

I will have to give F2F a try. Just curious George, why don't you want to use Cyano, are you sensitised to it? I expect you know but Multiplex recommend Cyano for their 'Elapor' foam models, although they sell their own Zacki adhesive (which is very good too).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/06/2019 21:28:43

Thread: C No Ohmen
18/06/2019 15:08:16

For the sake of clarity (probably unnecessary) the 'paper clips' Peter is referring to are sometimes referred to as 'fold back clips' (or even Bulldog Clips, which are very similar). Whatever one calls them it is a good tip yes.

Thread: Boeing 737 Max 8
15/06/2019 11:06:08

Nigel, you may be interested in a read of this. As far as I am aware all BA aircraft are fitted with ADS-C and presumably all new aircraft come with it as standard equipment. I've no idea if the two B737 Max aircraft were fitted with it or flying in airspace with ADS-C coverage.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/06/2019 11:14:28

Thread: To Sell or Not to Sell
14/06/2019 19:36:07

It sounds like a good plan Shaun. If you have been trying to sell for years, the house is too small and has 'issues', I agree that there is not much point in throwing good money after bad to fix it. Moving is always very stressful and it is not unusual to question whether one is doing the right thing - not helped when you are worried about your job. I am sure you will make the right decision and it sounds like you already have.

At least you can stay at your mums for now and if things do go pear shaped you can move out, get somewhere to rent until you are ready to buy again. The housing market has been stagnant for some time and Brexit or no Brexit, I can't see that changing any time soon, so time will be on your side. The important thing is that you have a buyer and they are like hens teeth at present.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
14/06/2019 11:44:05

fly-navy, it seems pretty routine to do the prostate biopsy after the MRI so I wouldn't assume that the MRI scan revealed anything untoward. I was told from the outset that I would get an MRI scan and biopsy - but all clear fortunately.

Enjoy your holiday.

Thread: To Sell or Not to Sell
14/06/2019 11:25:48

Three months to turn a company around - sounds implausible to me. One company I worked for made redundancies after losing a contract and a year later folded but I had left by then as the writing was on the wall. Another company I worked for was in trouble and eventually folded but it was taken over by a competitor; I had fallen on my feet! Very difficult to second guess what will happen in the future but I think you should do what leaves you least exposed financially. Following your gut instinct sometimes works too!

If your buyers haven't instructed solicitors yet, it sounds like there is a way to go before you exchange contracts, never mind complete. So many house sales fall through for so many reasons, especially at the present time of uncertainty. Fate may decide for you. Staying put sounds reasonable if you can weather the storm if your employer goes under. If it was me I would be looking for another job now - if there are other jobs to be had in the area? I would also have a chat with your mortgage lender and explain your situation, you will probably have to book a phone call with their advisor. They are are there to help and may be able to give you the heads up on a) transferring your mortgage to a new property b) getting a completely new mortgage for a new property having just started with a new employer. Their rules may require you to be with a new employer for six months before they will consider you for a mortgage.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you well and hope that your decision turns out to be the right one.

Good luck.

ps. I hope I haven't misunderstood your OP.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Revoc
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us