By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
27/03/2020 09:41:11

FB3, if you decide that Werewolf is your next project Sarik are offering a 10% discount on all their kits and plans at present, just type in SPRING10 in the appropriate box when ordering. It will at least cover the postage, 'every little helps' as they say!

Of course that applies to anyone interested in a new kit from them during their 'isolation build'.

26/03/2020 21:35:10

Did you finish your Flying Aces Sportster by any chance Fly Boy 3?

26/03/2020 19:26:16

Not just plans FB3 but CNC parts and the canopy too.

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
26/03/2020 13:04:28

You might be 'looking forward to the fight against weight' hillclimber, but there is not a lot you can do about the drag with a seaplane with floats. (save from flying it without the floats!). Once the motor stops it will fly like the proverbial brick.

A satisfying build though and an unusual project. yes

Nice work, looks very pretty.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/03/2020 13:05:36

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
25/03/2020 19:32:54
Posted by Erfolg on 24/03/2020 19:38:03:

The QED replica has some additional points in its favour

I understand slightly bigger wing and wider UC.

I have considered having a go myself. Each time I have thought, this is a PM type scale model. I would build the prototype if asked or offered.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that is one of the most ugliest aeroplanes Erfolg! face 7. I think the only thing that will appeal to Peter is the red/white colour scheme, also used on his Ballerina, Miss Lizzy, and Moon Dancer 2 (amongst others).

Thread: The Whipitteer
22/03/2020 21:37:39

That looks great Richard, love the sound too with the two blade setup. Is it harder to fly than the three blade model? Brave to fly in that wind too.

Thread: An Isolation Mass Build?
22/03/2020 21:26:07

I bought the Sarik CNC parts for Peter's Little Miss Honky Tonk so that is my isolation build. However I haven't started yet due to a backlog of jobs in the garden!

I enlarged Peter's Moon Dancer plan by 10% and am planning a 4s leccy set up with some other naughty modifications which will probably spoil an otherwise perfect design! LMHT first however.

When I was a child my dad and I built a model hovercraft - OK, my dad built a hovercraft and I watched! It was built of 1/4in ply with sections of coffee tins for the propeller duct. We bought a Cox BB engine and spent many happy hours watching it spin around in circles like a whirling dervish. This is when I learnt all about engine torque - and became hooked on model engines.

Thread: Is there a new breed of servo ?
18/03/2020 12:42:17

Hobbyking seem to be out of stock of all Corona servos. Bangood have some (at nearly twice the price) but you could be waiting a long time for delivery. I have an outstanding order from nearly six weeks ago with them. Fortunately I still have some Corona servos in my spares box. I used to use Hitec a lot Tim too but I had a couple of failures with them too, I think you can occasionally be unlucky with any brand.

I have just seen that Rapid RC have some but not all Corona servos in stock.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 18/03/2020 12:53:14

Thread: Pics from your free RCME plan build
18/03/2020 12:14:51

Beautiful work Martin, looking forward to the flight report.

I always love a flying boat, have you tried it off the water yet Steven, there has been a lot around lately!

Thread: 2 or 3 questions please, need some wise advice
15/03/2020 20:41:17
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 14/03/2020 20:14:32:

Piers, cascaded compound escapements would have given rudder, progressive throttle and kick-up elevator. I ran model boats using single channel with a cascade servo driving a three position slave to give steering and throttle, that must have been around 1968!

Impressive stuff Bob, thanks for the info. I can see it work on a boat which is only operating in two dimensions but it would have been challenging on an aeroplane, although no doubt it was done. I just dug out my MacGregor 'bang bang' SC Tx and Elmic Compact escapement- yes I still have it, (from 1970!). For kick up elevator it was 'press, release, press, release, press and hold. It worked on the ground but I don't think the model ever flew straight and level long enough to have the time to select it in the air! But I digress....

Very nice bit of covering work there Graham yes. You know Oratex is used on full sized light aircraft too but a slightly heavier weight is used.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/03/2020 21:02:18

14/03/2020 19:43:32
Posted by 911hillclimber on 14/03/2020 17:29:14:

Way back in the 60's a rich mate of mine built a Super 60 with a huge Merco and a single channel McGregor radio set and crystal, or similar radio. Gold painted Tx case iirc.

This radio system was just reaching the shops, fabulously simple. Can't remember if it had throttle control and rudder only.

If it was 'single channel' it would not have a throttle. Rudder only usually, although with the Elmic escapement I had in one of my models back in the day, 'kick-up elevator' too (allegedly), although I am not sure if it ever worked!

Regarding one of your servos running to full travel and staying there, it may have stripped some teeth from it's gear set. Alternatively you may have unwittingly mixed that channel with an other switched channel, although that seems unlikely. Your servo tester will soon tell you if it is working correctly in any event.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 14/03/2020 19:46:58

Thread: RCM&E April 2020 issue chat
14/03/2020 09:50:28

I think seeing some of these old plans in the Mag helps us realise just how much the hobby has progressed. However some of these designs are sufficiently quirky for some people to start cutting balsa as they crave something different from the run of the mill offerings. Also, simple and quick to build too. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I winced when I saw the aerofoil section but it only goes to show that just about anything will fly at model sizes. After reading Shaun Garritys's enthusiastic article I wouldn't mind betting that there will be a few modellers out there building their own version as we speak. Plenty of choice of colour schemes too...smile p

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
13/03/2020 14:18:23

Very frustrating Jon when pre-production engines are sold at a discount on the understanding that they will be thoroughly tested with feed back given - but not angry. Perhaps once the weather improves some of the hoarders will be prompted to get their engines out of the box, bolt them in a model and actually fly them!

I too am interested in a 180 petrol when/if production engines ever become available. I have a suitable airframe (World Models Piper Pawnee, 108in span) and will probably have some time too before too long with a bit of luck.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/03/2020 14:20:06

Thread: 1/4 turn wing fixings
12/03/2020 05:33:10

As Peter says in his OP Dzus fasteners are used extensively in the aircraft industry for securing cowlings and inspection panels. The female part is generally riveted to sheet aluminium and the male passes through another sheet to hold them together, so not really suitable for lumps of balsa or ply more than a couple of mm thick. However, nothing to stop you making an aluminium strap to secure a wing onto a fuselage with a bit of ingenuity using standard metal fasteners. The only downside is that the reason we use nylon/plastic bolts to secure wings is because of their sacrificial nature; they break in the event of a crash, reducing the degree of damage (hopefully!).

I have used velcro to good effect on a few gliders to stop the wings sliding off carbon wing joiners. A wing could be secured to a fuselage with a velcro strap as long as you used good quality velcro. Not all velcro is born equal! The main downside with velcro is that it is not very pretty, but then neither are rubber bands. The upside is that it is very quick, even with frozen fingers (cheap too).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/03/2020 06:07:27

Thread: UK leaving EASA!
10/03/2020 14:50:24
Posted by Don Fry on 08/03/2020 20:22:45:

Steve, what does EASA do then. Curious.

I think the S in EASA should be replaced by R - for 'Regulatory' for that is EASA's function and since 2007 there has been a vast expansion of over complicated layers of regulation governing aviation. This might keep the lawyers happy but doesn't necessarily make flying any safer, even if it does increase costs. Remember, what is safe may not necessarly be legal and what is legal, may not be safe. For example, the Boeing B737 Max MCAS system was certificated and therefore legal but when a single point of failure in a primary flying control system (the elevators) can cause the total loss of two aircraft and all souls on board, it clearly wasn't safe. Of course it was certified by the FAA but also by EASA because of a reciprocal agreement.

There are many areas where the UK has considerable historical expertise, for example in duty flight time limitations. There has been growing commercial pressure coming from some European aircraft operators and beyond to relax some of these rules irrespective of the effect that flight crew fatigue has on aviation safety. A CAA that is not bound by EASA can legislate for UK registered aircraft without interference from EASA or the FAA for that matter.

My experience and perception of the CAA is that they are generally pragmatic and are often prepared to look at things on their merits rather than being totally rule based. EASA please note! I think the model flying  concessions/alleviations allowed as a result of the BMFA/CAA negotiations illustrate my point.

just my 2p worth

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/03/2020 15:02:18

Thread: David Boddington Tiger Cat
09/03/2020 16:23:20

No I don't have it kc.

09/03/2020 14:02:32

PM sent Kevin yes

Thread: Hobbyking Film
08/03/2020 17:28:28

I checked only a day or so ago and nil stock, so if they have just had some deliveries in Hong Kong from their suppliers in mainland China, it could be that stock will be available in the UK/Euro warehouses before too long. Hopefully.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/03/2020 17:29:18

Thread: David Boddington Tiger Cat
08/03/2020 16:19:17
Posted by kevin b on 08/03/2020 11:28:27:
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 08/03/2020 11:01:26:

Ah Ha! Not what I was expecting. 36in span - would be ballistic on a modern .25 or BL outrunner leccy conversion. A bit more span and it might make a nice sloper too.

Personally I would fit electric, but this is for a dyed in the wool glow freak, who has an old OS Max 20 spare.

I am using it for practice with the wing design software I recently got.

Scaling up is not a problem if you want a copy.

Yes, thank you Kevin, that would be very nice if you have a spare moment. If it was scaled up by 35% (that is 135% of the original) then that would be great. If you could share the drawing/file for your built up wing, then that would be even better. yes

Which wing design software are you using by the way?

08/03/2020 11:01:26

Ah Ha! Not what I was expecting. 36in span - would be ballistic on a modern .25 or BL outrunner leccy conversion. A bit more span and it might make a nice sloper too.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
CADMA
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us