By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A binding question
17/10/2018 04:10:18

Have you run the engine in the past or have you just bought it second hand? Will it turn over with the glow plug removed? Just wondered if the bearings are corroded or something is physically stopping it from turning over TDC, rather than it just being tight? If it is so tight it loosens the prop be careful you don't bend the con-rod.

Hopefully someone more informed about engines than me will be along soon to help you. Good luck.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
16/10/2018 19:03:50

Excellent work Ken, you are a trail blazer. I wonder if any others are 'in-build' at present?

Looks FANtastic smile d. (and well done Jim yes)

16/10/2018 08:01:47

Just be aware that as the cost including shipping is over £15 then VAT and a RM handling charge will need to be paid. Hobbyking Mad Thrust EDF unit = £16.34 + shipping (reg air mail) £3.82 + 20% VAT + £8 Royal Mail handling charge = £32.19. I believe the handling charge is the same (£8) up to £135 of total items at which point additional duty will have to be paid. If there are some other HK items you need best to include them with your order (up to £135 total).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 16/10/2018 08:02:53

Thread: 20 cc V-twin two stroke
15/10/2018 06:05:09

Could you make a tooth belt reduction drive for something like this or would the shock loading rip the belt to bits? Thought it might be a bit easier than a gearbox.

Thread: Peter Rake
15/10/2018 05:54:56

Peter had a prolific output of lightweight designs, many published in Quiet and Electric Flight Magazine. Here are a selection (not the top line of course) from the Sarik Hobbies website. As you see, mostly compact First World War scale and between the war subjects.

So sad when another familiar aeromodelling name is no longer with us. RIP Peter and commiserations to all that knew him.

Thread: Durafly Vampire
14/10/2018 09:36:52

Simon, is that the Freewing Hawk with the 70mm fan, here? Looks good, if it is.

Thread: ASP anybody?
13/10/2018 11:25:40
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 12/10/2018 20:04:40:

According to JE the ASP factory is moving and the engines are not available for the foreseeable future. Anybody any inside info?. Not a lot of ASP in stock on the JE site!.

Back to the OP.... I just had a look on the JE site and all the 4 STs were in stock as far as I could see and the only 2 STs showing out of stock were the 12, 46-short engine (46 standard, OK) and 91, - perhaps they just had a delivery?

I wouldn't consider the relocation of the factory as necessarily significant, as in the Far East businesses frequently relocate when there is a hike in the rent on their industrial building. Hobby King relocated about five time in the years I used to visit Hong Kong. Most hobby products are produced in batches and the different production runs are often produced in alternative locations.

If ASP cut back their 2 ST production I would not find it at all surprising however, as I find it amazing that they can turn a profit with their very low prices. They have a huge global market, I wouldn't right them off too soon.

p.s. I have just bought my first Laser (80). It is a thing of beauty and great value, so I won't be buying any more ASPs!

Thread: Margaret's health
12/10/2018 17:16:50

So sorry to hear that, - my sincere condolences and sympathies. I hope you receive the support from families and friends that you need at this very difficult time. All the best onetenor.

Thread: RM Aerobat
12/10/2018 10:58:59

Personally I would have thought that using heat to reshape the canopy would be risky as nothing will happen until you hit the critical temperature and it then suddenly distorts uncontrollably, unless you are shrinking it onto a plug of some sort. I would not have thought that hot water would be hot enough, even if boiling but I am ready to be corrected on that.

Thread: Receiver/Servo battery supplies
12/10/2018 08:36:01

You remember correctly Percy regarding SM Services - gone. I haven't heard of Mainlink for years but there website seems active. Aren't they a rail network? wink 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/10/2018 08:38:33

Thread: Suggestions for camera system please?
11/10/2018 03:41:20

Perhaps a silly question Allan but did you balance the props of your home made quad? Also, possibly the foam was exacerbating the vibration rather than damping it? Did you fly the camera without the foam for comparison? I would take a look at quad and FPV websites to see what other people are using regarding camera mounts, if you haven't done so already.

Maybe your ixus camera is just not suited to aerial photography (shutter speed?). The only aerial photography I have done was when I velcroed my Mobius Action Cam onto the wing of my Radian Pro XL, with surprisingly good results (no 'gelo' with the motor running). I mounted the camera out on the wing so I wouldn't get the 'venetian blind' effect from the prop. Of course it was an e-glider not a quad so I guess vibration is more of an issue maybe with a multi-rotor.

I am glad your camera was able to show where the lost model wasn't, hopefully your next attempt will show where it is!

Thread: Mercury original 33" Tiger Moth Kit
10/10/2018 19:12:48

Looks very HOT Peter, not much chance of your glider landing in a tree! Do you remember what the model was?

Thanks Manish, I should have checked, now no excuses for not building one! I remember seeing the kit in my LMS years ago but sadly the shop closed when the owner retired. The shop was his hobby, but he had some high tech CNC machining going on at the back, which was his bread and butter. ('Model Corner', Horsham)

10/10/2018 16:04:27

The model seems to have stirred lots pf memories FFS. Now if you were sufficiently moved to take your pristine plan to your local copy shop and have them scan it in pdf format, they could email the pdf to you and you in turn, forward the email to Outerzone for inclusion in their plans depository. Who knows, before long there might be hundreds of the old Mercury Tiger Moths flitting about, worldwide. Alternatively perhaps RCM&E might re-publish it in a future edition as one of Shawn Garity's revivals. Actually, I have just realised that the plan is still available from Derek's Plans. (It is under Free Flight scale power)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/10/2018 16:11:42

Thread: Design & Build FW 200 Condor / Syndicato
10/10/2018 13:07:16

So sad to see a beautiful model end its maiden flight this way, commiserations Robert. Finger of blame pointing to C of G issues as a possible culprit by several posters. Just to ask the obvious, presumably the operation and reliability of the elevator servo has been comprehensively checked by now? No doubt when you were on the downside of the loop you were instinctively pulling hard on the elevator which accounts for it's position in the photo. The fuselage damage looks bad, although a repair appears quicker than a new fuselage. Good luck.

Thread: Hello from the Cotswolds
08/10/2018 21:35:25

Dave, with your broad and comprehensive aviation background, both model and full size, I am sure you will bring lots of interest to the forum. Welcome.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/10/2018 21:36:09

Thread: Chilli Breeze electric
08/10/2018 21:23:02

Flaperons are a recipe for a disaster in my humble opinion as they will aggravate any tip stalling tendencies and not do much as flaps, as Nigel pointed out. I think this is why they are not generally fitted. Alex, if you want to fit flaps it is only a matter of another couple of servos and a few more hinges. Following with interest wink 2 

I will be interested to hear how well the reflexed ailerons work Nigel.

I bought the Chilli Wind Plan and got the original magazine article too with the intension of building an electric version. When I ordered it I wasn't aware that the plan only showed a foam wing and to be honest I already have too many models in-build so the project has stalled for now. Will you be doing a built up wing?

Following your CW build with interest Alex.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/10/2018 21:27:28

Thread: Advice required on what to build next
07/10/2018 17:18:06

The Ben Buckle kits are open structures for sure but are not exactly quick builds. The SLEC Fun Fly kit is a quick build that just slots together before adding a spot of glue! Whether £90 is cheap enough for you Andy is another matter. Would be nicely aerobatic with the right leccy setup as well. There is a video of one being put together in 60 seconds which gives you a good idea of what is involved! After that the talking starts crook - so jump to 4 minutes and see some footage of it flying smiley. He made a very nice job of building it actually but he might need a little guidance regarding his dress sense. Just my 2p worth!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/10/2018 17:34:48

Thread: RC Test Equipment
07/10/2018 06:34:27

Welcome to the forum Dave. Don't worry, one of the moderators will be along soon to sort you out devil! wink 2

You could always PM Peter Christy too, to find out what you need to know.

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 08/10/2018 17:54:36

Thread: intro & advice
07/10/2018 06:02:34

The Skyrider plan is available from DB Sport and Scale and is probably a better size than the Ghostrider 38 published in RCM&E last year (on Outerzone too). Both look like quick builds and tough models, even quicker if you omit the UC.

Here is the Ghostrider 38.

Ghost Rider 38

Ghost Rider 38

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/10/2018 06:13:44

Thread: Returning old timer.
06/10/2018 18:58:54

If I were to make a wild guess I think you would need something like this for a Mini Super. About 1000kv and 350W with a 3s LiPo on a 10X6 E-prop.

Piers.

Sticking my neck out department!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
CML
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us