By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flite Test Pietenpol won't run straight...
19/09/2019 08:39:17

Yes, bigger wheels (and shorter grass!). yes Also, raking the undercarriage forward a bit will help.

The third thing that causes yaw on take off (or at any time) is slipstream effect. The rotating wash from the propeller impinging asymmetrically on the fin and rudder.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 19/09/2019 08:43:19

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
16/09/2019 15:44:34

Looking good and great news Peter. Now the inevitable question, when will Mr Crozier publish the plan in RCM&E?

Thread: Dynam Albatross
16/09/2019 15:30:34

If an aircraft is reluctant to turn with ailerons it is often the result of adverse yaw. If you get it flying again John try twice as much up than down with the ailerons. Also, as brokenenglish says, try moving some weight (battery) forward a tad (technical term!), you may find the model transformed.

15/09/2019 21:24:35

John, are you using differential ailerons (more up than down)? Sounds like the model is suffering from adverse yaw; i.e. left aileron causes a yaw to the right which opposes the left roll and turn (and vica versa). A short coupled tail and a small fin and rudder exacerbate this. So too will a rearward c of g, as instructions on RTFs can often be incorrect in this area in my humble experience.

Aileron differential should help and use a little coupled aileron and rudder too.

my 2p worth.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/09/2019 21:32:04

Thread: Petrol Engine for a Toot Sweet
15/09/2019 19:33:10

Robin, I think if Jon (Mr Laser engines) was contributing to this thread he would advise you against trying to convert a small glow engine to petrol for all the reasons Martin outlined above, plus a few more no doubt. Probably any quality 4st engine between 40 and 60 size will be much less bother, lighter and QUIETER than a small petrol two stroke.

If it is cleanness and less cost you want why not go electric?devil

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/09/2019 19:34:08

Thread: Gerry Anderson Thunderbird 2
08/09/2019 22:11:14

I guess you could thin the side elevation a tad so it produced less drag and maybe a bit more lift? With the low aspect ratio I don't think it will glide so well but it will be an interesting project. Good luck and let us know how it flies.

Thread: Moon Dancer 2
08/09/2019 21:59:16

A simple but effective scheme, very nice. shame the flight was cut short but no matter, I am sure it will perform. The swept fin is very racy. cool

Thread: Commons Science and Technology Committee Enquiry on Drones
08/09/2019 06:26:45
Posted by Steve J on 13/08/2019 17:04:22:
Posted by Peter Christy on 13/08/2019 16:55:52:

The point I was trying to make is that, regardless of Brexit, we will remain an EASA member.

As things stand at the moment, the UK will cease to be a member of EASA on the 31st October.

Steve

I am not sure that this is strictly true Steve as membership of EASA is not dependent on EU Membership or even being a member of the European Free Trade Association. Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Moldova, Ukraine, and Liechtenstein are also EASA members, despite not being members of either the EU or EFTA.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 08/09/2019 06:48:21

Thread: Low pass Petes Mass Build thread - Renaissance
07/09/2019 17:13:46

Really lovely job Pete. First Class. yes

Thread: Morris gas conversion experience
05/09/2019 16:50:27

Thanks for that Jon and I will bear it in mind. Like most people I don't like noisy engines. I bought the engine a while back for a President D31 Turbulent for which I hope to have sourced a plan quite soon...

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 05/09/2019 16:51:39

05/09/2019 15:21:38
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 05/09/2019 09:01:55:

If i get time i might convert it to twin carb as that will fix everything

I would be interested to hear about that Jon, if you get around to it, as I have an ASP160 twin.

Thread: DSX9
05/09/2019 14:39:15

I think you may be right Steve.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 05/09/2019 14:44:16

Thread: Foam os Soft Block Balsa?
05/09/2019 12:49:31

A carved block of balsa is pretty tough and although not the lightest, the weight is where you want it - in the nose. EPO foam is very light but tends to crush somewhat in the event of an 'arrival'. Expanded Polypropylene (EPP) is great for its bounce-ability (indestructible) but a little tricky to work with and source. Take your choice.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
04/09/2019 10:20:06

I spent last weekend at the LAA Sywell Rally and took the opportunity to have a chat with Jonathan Nicholson (Assistant head of communications, CAA). He is a pleasant enough chap who seemed to say that registration had been foisted upon them by the government (D of T). I had asked him why, at this late stage, was it still unclear what the annual fee would be?

I told him that as an airline pilot (retired) I had only ever been required to take one air law exam as part of my professional licence, - in 1980. I said that one is just expected to know the regulations and keep abreast of any changes, the same can be said for road users. I said, on the other hand, model aircraft/multirotor flyers will be tested every three years, so could he explain the thinking behind that? He simply said that it is all subject to change and will be sorted out in the fulness of time (to paraphrase).

I asked him about model aircraft being required to carry some form of transponder in the future, for remote identification. He felt that models aircraft would not be affected as he agreed that they were not the problem. However he did say that DJI drones would have this facility and enable them (airport operators?) from differencing between the good guys and the bad guys when they were detected (again to paraphrase).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 04/09/2019 10:29:41

Thread: Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan
29/08/2019 12:19:33

Nice scheme Bob yes.

Thread: interest renewed
28/08/2019 20:19:04

I was thinking of a Magnatilla too Phil but where would you get one as they are discontinued aren't they? I looked for plans too without success.

Thread: Soarcerer for Flat Field
28/08/2019 20:15:47

I expect you know Robin but aileron differential will help with the turns (more up aileron than down). Also gliders often (usually?) need rudder in the turn due to adverse yaw.

Nice looking glider. yes

Thread: Repairing EPO
28/08/2019 12:45:27

Multiplex always recommend Cyano for Elapor which is their name for EPO. Just be extra careful as the cyano tends to run everywhere (fingers!) as it hasn't got any balsa to wick into. I usually use kicker when glueing foam models too but usually do it outside because of the fumes. Multiplex also market their own brand, Zacki, which is basically thick cyano which does work particularly well with their models. For vulnerable control services and wingtips for that matter, I usually reinforce with a carbon fibre strip from my carbon stash! Failing that, your cocktail stick will be most effective although not as good as carbon fibre. For carbon reinforcement cut a single incision with a sharp blade and slide the carbon strip in. Then just dribble a little cyano along the top and it will wick its way in. This will now be the strongest part of the model!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 28/08/2019 12:47:45

Thread: Cotswold Kits Bantam
27/08/2019 19:53:33

Dave, as I am sure you are aware there are several models with this name and none of them are the one you want! Nothing on Aerofred or Model-Plans UK so looks like you are out of luck. A few people are looking for Cotswold plans for other models too, both on this Forum and RC groups as well - all without success.sad

So it has a foam wing and a box-like fuselage, so using a bit of experience and common sense, do you really need plans for it? Bung it together, set the C of G at 25% for starters and guess the control throws. devil What have you got to lose, it only cost you a fiver? wink 2

Thread: A Firefox bridge too far
27/08/2019 04:39:28

I don't think I've ever employed Adblock or Ublock. In the meantime I'm stuck with Safari which will not show 'sent items' nor allow me to attach photos, or do all the other things with emails that I've found so useful in the recent past.

I would suggest that a third party piece of software like Adblock would be quite unnecessary on a mac and likely to cause more problems than it solves. I find it pretty weird that you say that Safari will not show sent items or allow you to attach photos etc. to emails. That would appear to be more a problem with your Talk Talk email account not working properly with Safari on your computer. I very much doubt that you will get any practical help with this problem from Talk Talk 'Technical support'.

If there is an Apple Shop not a million miles from where you live Ken I would book an appointment with the 'Genius Bar'. At least they will be able to see the issue with your Talk Talk email account whilst using Safari which might clear up the problem whilst using Firefox too. Failing that, you need technical support with someone up to speed on macs. I am pretty certain you won't get that from Talk Talk even though the problem is likely to be their ISP,- in my view.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us