By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hobby King Again Rrrrrrrrrr
15/11/2019 08:40:59

I have never had a problem with Hobbyking, - hundreds of orders from me. Now, I mostly buy from the UK or EU site for a quick reliable service and no duty/handling charges. I have never had an order not be delivered. Also, if the site says it is 'in stock' it is, I wish I could say that for some uk retailers.

The UK model shops that have survived have a good online presence and reputation. I use those too. e.g. Sussex Model Centre, Steve Webb Models, Kings Lynn models, DB Sport and Scale, SLEC, Balsa Cabin, Sarik Hobbies, to name just a few. I am sure you can think of dozens of others.

Thread: Maricardo build
13/11/2019 08:25:10

Yes, a stanley knife and a cutting mat or I have used scissors to cut 1/32 ply, just make sure they are not your wife's best dressmaking scissors teeth !

10/11/2019 18:46:11

Whether you are building from the Paul Strawson plan or the original (Outerzone) plan, if you make a thin ply rib template to cut around, with a bit of care, I doubt it would take more than an hour to produce a set of ribs for a Maricado. The formers are a simple shape too, so I can't see the benefit in buying in the ribs or a full set of parts. I always find that it is the radio installation or covering that takes up most of the build time. Is that just me?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/11/2019 18:54:24

Thread: How much does an RC hot air balloon weigh?
08/11/2019 07:20:39

I expect it says 'mass' in the Air Navigation Order, (legal document) but I can't be bothered to look. face 2

Thread: Junior 60 build advice
01/11/2019 12:52:31

Calor gas heaters are most effective but can produce quite a bit of moisture. They can be expensive to run as well but worth it if they keep you warm. There was a thread on here regarding Chinese diesel heaters last winter, which are quite economical to run (run on red diesel) and produce loads of heat. Worth considering to keep you modelling through the winter Andy and frostbite free too!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 01/11/2019 12:54:59

Thread: Electric power options. Sonata E kit.
31/10/2019 19:13:02

Yes, reversing the shaft is quite fiddly with a circlip and small grub screw holding the shaft in place.

As you say Patmc the best option is probably to fit another bulkhead but I wouln't use the ali x-mount at all but have the screws pass from behind the new bulkhead directly into the back of the motor. Just check and double check the length of the screws for if they are too long they will damage the windings. This assumes you leave a hatch on top of the model to access the motor. If you see what I mean!

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 19:15:18

Thread: Forum 2020 Mass Build discussion.
31/10/2019 17:23:17

Funny enough Pete, I have just had my Excellence free plan copied and enlarged by 15% at my local copy shop, as I thought what a nice design it is for either a 30 4ST or maybe an electric conversion. (indecision!)

I also think Peter Miller's forth-coming Moon Dancer 2 could be a good Mass Build choice as well, as we may have the plan for that as well before very long. (next month?)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 17:26:04

Thread: Electric power options. Sonata E kit.
31/10/2019 16:53:15

One of these motors would be suitable with a 9x6 prop (on a 3s LiPo) perhaps. Or may be one of these for a very spritely climb! They are both 28mm in diameter so should fit within the fuselage nose with room to spare for the three wires.

I have bought quite a few Turnigy Plush ESCs in the past. Always rock solid performance and not had a duff one yet.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 17:07:27

31/10/2019 16:23:54

I suggest you also get some of these from Hobbyking too. Nothing wrong with the quality and a lot cheaper too. UK warehouse as well, so quick delivery and no duty to pay. yes

Regarding servos, I have bought quite a few of these in the past and found them very satisfactory to say the least. They are out of stock from the UK warehouse but if you buy from the EU warehouse they take no longer to arrive and  also no duty to pay (before Brexit at least!)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 16:29:47

Thread: In The Newsagents ...
31/10/2019 16:01:18

Welcome to the forum Blue Sky.

Thread: Mass Build 2020
31/10/2019 14:48:09

How about, Peter Miller's Moon Dancer 2. Probably a free plan in next month's RCM&E?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2019 14:54:22

Thread: speed 400 x 3!
30/10/2019 22:40:15

An interesting project Den, I hope you post some build photos when you get a chance. For those interested, I think this is the plan, here. If it were my project I doubt I would fit Speed 400 motors when cheap brushless motors would be so much lighter and more efficient. Each to their own however.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
20/10/2019 15:40:03

'Glue on the worktop' Yes, wives can get pretty cross about that sort of thing teeth - can't think why! Don't worry, I'm in the same boat.

I think the thing is, to build something not too big or too complicated so that it gets finished, even if it is not the sort or model one usually flies. Likewise, artists don't become artists overnight, it takes loads of practice, - same with model aircraft building. Some builders may never be any good but they get satisfaction from the process, and the finished article is 'theirs', even if what they have created looks like a frankenstein monster and flies like a drunkard!

Good luck with plan B tigerman, it will be fun anyway, which is what it is all about.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 20/10/2019 15:57:39

20/10/2019 14:15:04

Tigerman, perhaps you are an ARTF man at heart but would you fancy building a Piper Cub from a plan? It is the winter building season after all and apart from the satisfaction of scratch building, you may save yourself some cash too? I googled 'Piper Cub plans' and came up with dozens of designs on Outerzone, Aero Fred and Sarik Hobbies, as you might expect. One from Sarik is an old Boddo design at 84in span, for '80 sized engines'. Whether such a model is over/under powered depends to some degree on the design and how you plan to fly it. There are Cub designs in the 70in span category which might perform in a very spirited fashion on a Laser 80. It might depend on your expectations.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 20/10/2019 14:17:21

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
16/10/2019 11:09:45
Posted by Max Z on 05/10/2019 18:25:41:

Successful first flight today, who recognises it?

Diamona, Featured in EQFI Magazine, August 2002.

I like your unusual designs Max, hopefully your new Diamona design will be published at some stage? The original was only 25in span so presumably you have scaled it up a tad. Also the original was for Speed 400 power, so what are you using now? Original below...

img_5331.jpg

Thread: New build rubber powered balsa
15/10/2019 07:27:27

I built an Ajax from the original Keil Kraft kit for my son many, many years ago. A simple model that flew so well- hours of fun. I always meant to build a slightly larger version with a small diesel, but of course I never did. Would be suitable for very lightweight electric conversion with a timer, as an alternative to rubber power.

The plan is available here, You probably don't need more than a couple of sheets of balsa to build it.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/10/2019 07:37:41

Thread: Advice
13/10/2019 20:31:07

If you posted some information Al about the model, a photograph, weight, span, manufacturer etc. I am sure someone may be able to help. Just saying '120 ic engine equivalent' doesn't really help with electric.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
12/10/2019 18:11:31

I don't think that 'carefully reading your insurance terms' will necessarily give one clarity. At the end of the day it is down to what your insurance underwriters will, or will not, cover. At the moment while the regulations are still in the melting pot, not even they know.

I suspect that in the fullness of time provided one is a member of the BMFA etc. are registered, passed the CAA's competency test and flying from a remote site (deserted beach or clifftop) one will continue to be able to fly as a lone flyer. This assumes the deserted beach or clifftop is outside restricted airspace, danger areas, or land where by-laws apply.

This is speculation of course but then a great deal of what is written in this thread is not cast in stone and subject to change. Apart from write to our MP and support the good work of the BMFA, there is not a lot we can do about it.

Thread: Damage after crash - motor shaft off center
11/10/2019 10:15:45

Found a plan view of the Super EZ and it definitely has right motor offset. As Martin says down thrust is common too.

Thread: Suggestions for sport planes for an OS 25 FX engine
10/10/2019 21:49:14

Some good suggestions there Nigel yes. The Gripen would make a simple leccy conversion - for someone with good eyesight and fast reactions!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us