By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Piers Bowlan

Here is a list of all the postings Piers Bowlan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cambria Slingsby Eagle Restoration
22/05/2019 09:36:28

Nice model, simple but effective scheme. Good videos yes

Thread: In The Newsagents ...
22/05/2019 09:21:56

ED 2.46 Racer? - still got one of those in my loft, bolted to a 'Sir Jasper' built 35 years ago! Wasn't Sir Jasper designed for a Babe Bee .049? devil (Sorry - Off topic blush)

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/05/2019 09:38:59

Thread: Glitches and crashes
22/05/2019 08:11:03

Hi Tim, sorry to hear about your problems and the demise of your model - my commiserations. I am certainly no expert but from previous threads on this subject, problems with intermittent aerial connections seems to be a reoccurring theme (I am not referring to Spektrum specifically in this respect). As already mentioned NiMH batteries are a frequent source of failure. They can be charged the previous night, show good voltage in the morning but the voltage collapse under load, even sometimes when they are only two or three years old. I know some NiMH batteries give good service for years and years, wherein lies the problem. I have removed new-looking shrink wrap from suspect batteries in the past to find worrying evidence of corrosion on the ends of the wires. I binned them.

Thread: In The Newsagents ...
22/05/2019 07:46:06

Capt. K, RCM&E seems to be the only RC magazine remaining so if you enjoy the hobby buy a subscription and support it. It will save your knees, you won't miss a copy and it's cheaper too!

Thread: New- 2018 CONCORDE for 4x50mm EDF
12/05/2019 22:51:40

Really awesome Tony, well done. Can we look forward to a plan in the RCM&E Special later in the year, by any chance?

Thread: Suitable caption?
11/05/2019 21:43:16

Bird of Time attacks RC flyer.

Thread: Zippy by Sean Bannister
09/05/2019 18:49:21

According to Outerzone, the Zippy slope soarer was designed by Mike Freeman so my apologies to Mike and Sean- Google leading me astray again!

I was actually a little surprised that Nigel should be going over to the 'dark side' (Gliders) but then I thought he must have plans to electrify it. wink 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 09/05/2019 18:50:53

09/05/2019 09:45:54

You can get a digital plan from here.

09/05/2019 09:17:33

Is this what you have in mind Nigel?

zippy.jpgIt was posted by Robin Kearney (page 1) in the thread 'All our Yesterdays'. If it is the one, you could PM Robin as he says he still has the RM plan. Perhaps he could scan it and email it to you? Sean Bannister designed many gliders the most notable being the Algebra I think. Of course 'Zippy' is a fairly common name so good luck with the search..

I built a folding Zagi once which I would secrete into my suitcase for the occasional flight in exotic locations!

Thread: CAA registration consulation
08/05/2019 20:57:20

In the UK it has always been the case that ignorance of the law is no defence in a court of law. Also, with the driving test there is one theory test - for life. I took one written Air Law exam for my professional pilots licence over thirty years ago and have not been required to be retested, despite frequent revisions to the rules. So WHY will it be necessary to retest people flying drones and model aeroplanes every three years!!

07/05/2019 17:16:29

Regardless of commercial clout I think the likes of Google and Amazon will feel the wrath of Jo Public if drone deliveries flying at sub 400ft become commonplace above our towns and cities. This is not-with-standing the very real limitations of the battery technology, weather dependancy, and reliability/risk, associated with this 'brave new world'. People talk glibly of the inevitably of larger hybrid drones but the noise and potential for disaster, not to mention the amount of system redundancy and cost of certification for flight over built up areas would be eye watering. I have little doubt their use will increase and very useful they will be too; for aiding emergency services, surveys etc. Personally, I can't see our skies simply buzzing with drone parcel deliveries anytime soon, regardless of what Amazon or Google may say (or wish).

So I think there will be room for us all to fly our models aircraft for a while yet Percy (if you don't mind registering).angry

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
07/05/2019 13:14:09

Hi Tony just received the June RCM&E and on p21 there is a photo of the 'FMS 11 blade fan and 2627 size 4500kv motor', also mentioned in Graham's text on the next page. Correct me if I am wrong but that is the 4S motor and you are using the 5300kv motor in your current 3s LiPo Mig-15/Sabre/Gnat/JP designs? Wouldn't want people to order the wrong motor and suffer disappointing performance crying 2

ps. Keep the designs coming yes

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/05/2019 13:23:37

Thread: C No Ohmen
06/05/2019 06:50:50

Great stuff Chris. yes

Personally I incorporate the spar slots into the ply blank and use a Swan Morton knife with a no. 11 blade to cut them out before I remove the blank from the piece of balsa. I find it doesn't really take any longer to produce a set of ribs this way and avoids the extra process of sanding the spar slots, but each to their own. I also make the blank from 1mm or even 1/32 (.4mm) ply, which I find adequate and easier than a thicker piece of ply to cut around.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 06/05/2019 06:51:51

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
05/05/2019 18:11:58
Posted by Capt Kremen on 05/05/2019 09:18:12:

Dare I ask - a twin using these units - Meteor, Canberra, Me262, Ar234 .... am I dreaming....

A10 Warthog more like, or if you are into civil stuff, a Learjet?

04/05/2019 18:41:02

Thanks for that Ron, sounds promising. I will just have to be patient but build a Sabre in the meantime as the fan arrived today smiley.

04/05/2019 09:10:28

I ordered a fan, the only problem I have now is deciding which model to build for it! I like the Provost, your Gnat is stunning Tony but I already have your plan for the Sabre... Do you have an EE Lightening on the drawing board by any chance?

Thread: Unknown Glider
04/05/2019 09:02:58

Welcome to the forum Stephen, good luck uploading your photos. I am sure you won't have to wait long to get it identified.

Thread: CAA registration consulation
02/05/2019 10:17:12
Posted by GONZO on 02/05/2019 09:07:07:

I could be wrong but I'm detecting a sentiment that in some way people think you have to register just because you own model aircraft/drones and don't actually use them. Surely I'm wrong it cant be the case that just owning and not using model planes/drones requires registration?

Same thought occurred to me Gonzo. If you 'buy, own or possess' a shotgun you need a licence which involves registering. How much more dangerous is a toy plane? Airliner killers! Perhaps they will have to have an amnesty for people who have been harbouring broken balsa model planes in their loft for the last twenty years. Hands up who's guilty? You can just imagine the scene;- piles of dusty, crumpled, Super 60s and Tomboys piled high outside every police station in the land, with good citizens eager to disassociate themselves from this evil perversion! wink 2

Thread: Electric Cars.
01/05/2019 17:41:06

Obviously Ultra Capacitors have a weight and a cost but their potential to reduce the number of batteries whilst extending their range, life and performance by being more efficient, looks very attractive and potentially a game changer for manufacturers who use them.

One of the problems highlighted in the video is the fact that currently (ops sorry!) there are so many different chemistry's and battery designs in use that the industry doesn't have any standardisation with the associated economies of scale. A great pity. Perhaps if a new type of battery was developed that was a step change in performance/efficiency then all car manufacturers would have little choice but to adopt it. Then watch the unit cost tumble.

A dedicated electric car policy sounds good Percy but I am not too sure about combining it with electric breakdown cover. I think I would rather pay the RAC or green flag for that.

01/05/2019 11:22:51

Fast charging does not do batteries any good as we all know, shortening their life and increasing the cost of the cars. Likewise, fast discharging damages them too so larger, heavier batteries are required for when heavy current demands are required (heavy loads, hills, accelerating). Ultra Capacitors  smooth out these peaks so that an electric car fitted with ultra capacitors (as well as batteries) can be very fast charged and then driven away whilst the ultra capacitors recharge the batteries at a more leisurely pace. Consequently, smaller, lighter, cheaper, batteries can be fitted. Works well with regenerative braking too apparently, if you follow the link to the (rather long) video.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 01/05/2019 11:27:16

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Revoc
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us