By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gary Binnie

Here is a list of all the postings Gary Binnie has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gary's Brian Taylor P-47 build
24/11/2020 08:05:10

I'm worried about damp affecting my BT Spitfire wing, can't bring it in to the house as it's chocka with models already!! Think I mentioned before that all the ribs where the retracts sit were cut out (they had been modified for Unitracts that didn't fit). New centre portions of the ribs were spliced in.

Strictly the 'forks' are called torque links, they prevent the fescalised (chromed/machined) lower part of the strut from rotating. On nose landing gear (NLG) struts they transmit steering motor input to the lower part.

The F-104 has a quick release pin instead of a bolt at the NLG centre joint, it has to be removed before towing with a tractor otherwise the steering motor will break (it wasn't me honest!).

20201101_122023832_ios.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
20/11/2020 13:43:48

The Coyote is still kitted by SLEC.

There is a link between Ripmax/Balsacraft and SLEC but I can't remember exactly what it is!

It is very similar, if not the same as a Ridge Runt.

Would have to build one of each to find out.

20/11/2020 13:38:29

The company (Solent Sailplanes) was founded in 1975 by a chap called Tony Baker, I rescued a catalogue in a house clearance, it runs to 136 pages, packed full of glider kits and high quality accessories, many imported from Germany (Multiplex etc).

There are 'A4' loose flyers in the catalogue from 'Solent Models Limited' with a different Southampton address. They're advertising RC car, IC engines and a radio system (Microprop Variomodul Pilot). Presumably the same company?

Also loose is a 'Viking Electronic and Model Systems' price list, Milton Keynes based. Many glider kits listed and quite a few RCM&E electronic kits (transmitters/receivers/PCBs etc.)

I've not owned a Solent Sailplanes model, becoming quite rare now, the 'F3B Sitar Special' is very sought after.

20/11/2020 11:35:02

The Ridge Runt was HobbyShack, an American company, the Ripmax Coyote might have been a copy, it's very similar.

The Solent Sailplanes range in 1980 was:

• Ridge Recruit - 76" span rudder/elevator trainer.
  • Mini-Racer - 60" span three-channel aileron trainer
  • Ridge Racer - 72" span - pylon racer/multi-task
  • Trendsetter - 62" span - low wing pylon race/aerobatic
  • Ridge Rider - 86" span with extendable tip panels to 124" for cross-country events
  • Ridge Rover - 104" or 151" span - Slope or flat-field
  • Royalist-Special - 86" or 124" span with twist wing roll control
  • Royalist - Span not given but described as a 'king size thermal model'

A mere 40 years ago!!

18/11/2020 15:58:32

Cheers! It fought me all the way. Originally a plan by Harold Bull this was a Boddo kit.

18/11/2020 15:12:28

I finished a Multiplex Akro today, slope soarer with a one-piece foam/veneer wing and a fibreglass fuselage.

Two other models that I completed earlier this year are a Multiplex Cortina and a PSS F-101 Voodoo.

20201118_105224005_ios.jpg

cortina jeti (2).jpg

20200710_082031092_ios.jpg

Thread: Spektrum Tx and Rx compatability, or binding trouble
19/09/2020 10:04:31

I believe DSM2 is still legal to use, just not legal to sell new.

Thread: JR DSX9 programmable mix help
10/09/2020 18:37:03

I have a PCM9X II (JR9303), DSX9 and DSX12. Very capable radios but I switched to Jeti because of the quirky glider programming.

There are quite a lot of 9303 glider programming guides on the net, it is the same as the DSX9.

Search 'Sherman Knight JR9303'. Some of his guides have gone behind a paywall.

I fly scale gliders and F5J, Mode 2. My convention is to use flight modes to position the flaps and retrim and have the airbrake only on the throttle.

In a full-size glider the flaps are lowered progressively around the circuit to the landing position and airbrakes used independently. Some gliders use combined flap/brakes (not sure about the Lunak), I owned a Mini-Nimbus with trailing edge brakes, after a set travel they also lowered the flaps.

Cheers

Gary

Thread: Jodel Robin DR400
22/08/2020 18:17:01

Look forward to the photos.

I've just finished an Xtra Wot using an OS 120AX, the kit comes with a side thrust wedge which I used, the angle of it is not stated, there is no up or down thrust.

22/08/2020 17:43:47

I have several hundred hours of flying DR400s and DR300s, a very clever design. The key to its performance is the marked washout of the outer wing panels, when it's at low angles of attack (cruise) it's flying on the inner wing only, less drag, more speed.

Handling at the stall is benign but can flick if pulled hard in a turn.

Hopefully the plan has guidance on engine thrust line? The full size appears to be mounted straight.

Servo wise the flaps are fairly narrow chord strips and the ailerons are not particularly big, good standard size servos might be ok. The Flair Tiger Moth (1/4 scale) uses standard servos throughout, the rudder through a geared linkage and it is a slower flyer.

The DR400 has an all moving tailplane so something bigger needed there depending on where it is hinged relative to the aerodynamic centre.

It wouldn't hurt to get some advice from the LMA, they have a building inspection scheme which I believe is necessary for the paperwork.

For info the DR400 Regent has wing fillet fuel tanks and a cockpit roof (the better looking version IMO), the photo I can see on the plan page is the lighter glider tug version with no wing tanks and a greenhouse (hot!) canopy.

The wheel spats often filled up with grass cuttings/mud and are left off many tugs, also makes strut, wheel and brake inspection easier

Cheers

Gary

Thread: MFA Power Panel
01/08/2020 09:13:17

Is this the panel with an integral fuel pump and white line border around the front panel and a yellow capped selector knob? I had one the same, it had a 'plug' and 'hi-amp plug' position, using the wrong setting could blow a plug and also fail to start an engine with a hi amp plug!

Can't remember why I stopped using it, think the fuel pump gummed up. I fly mostly gliders but recently finished an Xtra Wot, my cobbled together flight box was not up to the job so I gave it a birthday.

New power panel, JP, under £20 with variable plug current, adjust to get the right colour glow. It needs a separate fuel pump (which I was using already).

Second battery, the old gel cell was not good enough to turn a 120 engine over, the battery is from a motorcycle in storage. The new battery only powers the starter.

Volt meter for the motorcycle battery, mainly to make sure I don't kill it using it to power a field lipo charger.

12V cigarette lighter socket, Jeti transmitters have an optional 12V charger accessory.

I'm planning to make a pure charging station using a new car battery that my daughter bought and then decided to scrap the car. I charge a lot of small lipos for F5J practise and competitions.

Cheers

Gary

20200801_073721761_ios.jpg

20200801_073731034_ios.jpg

20200801_074056010_ios.jpg

20200801_074104183_ios.jpg

Thread: Gary's Brian Taylor P-47 build
11/07/2020 10:12:05

Just a thought reading about your retract problems Nick, is the joining rod between the strut and retract unit bent?

I've had great fun with a BT Spitfire and mechanical Unitracts, the main problem was the mounting lugs were in the wrong place. This intentional kink in the joining rod is needed to correct the pintle angle. I don't have the Thunderbolt plan but if your bearers are in the right place (holes in ribs) and the retract angle is good then this could be the problem.

Cheers

Gary

joining rod angle.jpg

Thread: Adding Span To A Low Aspect Wing
28/06/2020 10:36:53

I had the same idea for one of my gliders, what I hadn't bargained on was the weight of the extra structure, the wing loading remained identical. The increased aspect ratio improved the glide angle and the minimum sink rate.

I have another glider that uses the same fuselage and tails for 3.5, 3.8 and 4 metre wings. Later versions of it use the same tail surfaces with optional longer fuselage.

The lower photo has a 10 cm longer centre wing panel.

picture 009.jpg

20150408_110702000_ios.jpg

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
10/05/2020 20:22:34

I've built a Middle Phase to replace the battered original I learned to fly with in the early 1990s, started on the 5th April, finished today.

Built both wings, ailerons will be a nice luxury. Spot the odd one out!

20200509_154639966_ios.jpg

20200509_164733023_ios.jpg

20200509_155101328_ios.jpg

20200509_165641393_ios.jpg

27/03/2020 13:23:06

Well I've done all the gardening jobs so time to think about some aeromodelling!

I bought this Chris Foss Xtra Wot kit from SMC in 2014, built it quite quickly but then became stuck looking for fuelproof paint. I had tested two-pack paint that had been mixed in the wrong proportions (not fuel proof), mixed in the correct proportions it is totally fuel proof.

It is my second Xtra Wot, the first was lost to radio failure. I used the optional two seat conversion (hand delivered by Chris to me at the Nationals), spats from Carbon Copy (Chris was out of stock). It uses one standard servo for each elevator half, driving piano wire in a snake. Engine is a new but poorly stored OS120AX, I had to change both rusty crank bearings before running in. The model weighs around 12 lb and is glassed all over.

First flew on 2 December last year, had a radio glitch on my JR DSM2 kit so have swapped to Jeti (usually reserved for my competition gliders). Not flown yet with Jeti.

Looking forward to getting it airborne again, they are great flyers, a big pussy cat. The round discs on the engine mount are removable trim weights (penny washers), it is slightly nose heavy at the moment.

20150305_204509843_ios.jpg

20170930_153710941_ios.jpg

img_2251.jpg

pa312501.jpg

pa312507.jpg

Thread: OS FSR engines
01/02/2020 21:05:41

I restored this 90 FSR recently, shame that I didn't take any 'before' photos. The silencer is from an OS 108, the engine will eventually power a Goldberg Ultimate 10-300.

I used the carburettor for a while on an ASP120, it transformed it.

picture 003.jpgpa192436.jpg

Thread: Dynam Hurricane
29/01/2020 07:57:55

I'm ex-RAF, used to teach gliding courses at Kingsfield, still have good Cypriot friends and my wife's godparents live in Peyia.

The stony ground is a problem for outlandings with full size gliders though some have been caught out!

I've seen rocky slope sites that used a catch net for landings and have landed in bushes myself though that was because there was too much lift to land normally (Phase 6, no airbrakes).

You could save your Hurricane for when you return to the UK and get an SAS Wildthing slope glider, they are virtually indestructable and you could fly it all day at the cliff sites and other slopes around Akrotiri.

Cheers

Gary

28/01/2020 18:23:26

Have you looked at other possible flying fields in Cyprus?

Kingsfield - Cyprus Parachuting Centre, they used to only operate in the mornings as the sea breeze set up at lunchtime.

Akrotiri? Might have an RAFMAA club or at least one modeller, service clubs often fly directly outside the control tower so they can be told directly to pause for full size traffic movements.

Sports pitches, usually 'astro turf' as the grass doesn't grow well.

Cheers

Gary

Thread: Flair Fokker D.VII Build
19/07/2019 19:53:29

Have to admit I've got a few in the loft that are 'in progress'!

This will be a good model once the bugs are ironed out.

It was initially prone to nosing over on take off and flew with full up trim, I removed a strip of lead from the firewall which improved it a lot (CG still within limits).

18/07/2019 21:27:55

I shall clean the rust off and use good epoxy.

Soon be back in the air again.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!