By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim C

Here is a list of all the postings Tim C has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
23/07/2019 16:35:13

Not enough air to the fan, I got nearer 700gm on my kitchen scales in a raw open test, if the the motor is being starved of air, or the thrust tubes restrictive you will loose a lot of thrust, your amp draw looks about right.

Thread: Li`l Cub
18/06/2019 08:57:00

Martin,

You can see my build on Peter Millers original Valdez thread, its a similar state to your, just fitting out the completed airframe and final covering to do. Its leccy, and like you a few mods to the plans, top hinged Ailerons, slotted hinge flaps. I used 5mm Dowel and 3mm Bamboo for the frame, its turned out very light and strong., I got my 5mm dowel from SLEC, but note that the local Hobbycraft have plenty, B&Q have plenty 6mm dowel if people want to follow the plan, I think balsa dowel would be a bit weak.

Thread: Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog
10/06/2019 11:07:22

Having completed the dummy motor, attention has been focused on fitting out the wings and airframe.

I had moulded the slats a few weeks ago, my first attempt ended in failure as it delaminated due to insufficient glue. For the 2n attempt is used 1 x 1/16 and 3 x 1/32, it’s thinner than Peters plan, but laminated is plenty stiff enough, it the slot gap which is important more than the aero shape, after a bit of planing and sanding, the final shape is emerging. I used Titebond glue, leave plenty of time to dry before removing. These come in at 23g each, it the weight of the glue!

I printed up the 10 slat fixings on the 3d printer, to get the exact wing LE profile, I’d traced round the wing profile, scanned the image into inkscape, and created a 2d outline, the SVG file was then exported and imported into 123d and the 2|d shape made into a 3d object, the whole process took no more than 10 mins, I just then printed out 10 fixings, they are hollow and weigh about .3 gm each.

slat fitting.jpg

Slat fixings

slat test.jpg

slat trail fitting, final sanding and finishing still to do, undecided about what glue to use, cyano works well for pla to balsa as does Kaufner 2 part Acrylic glue.

05/06/2019 17:16:15

Dummy motor nearing completion, trial fitting and some final finishing to do. Tad under 2 oz, a total of 33 separate parts, will fix on with 2 self tappers.

dm1.jpg

dm2.jpg

dm3.jpg

23/05/2019 11:25:35

A bit more done on the dummy motor, faked carbon effect on the cooling vent, LH one awaiting finishingcarbon vent.jpg

20/05/2019 11:40:12

As the crankcase came of the printer

cc1.jpg

After rubbing down, 2 coats of Halfords auto primer and 2 coats of dulux airbrushed on, will finish with coat of lacquer. Cylinders just temp awaiting finishing, just stuck on with double sided tape for the moment.

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg

17/05/2019 10:25:45

rib1.jpg

17/05/2019 10:24:55

If anyone using the 3D printed rib profile, this is not quite as on the plan, I made the top spar vertical so I could add webbing, and the TE is 1/8 rather than 1/4 , the plastic part makes an excellent template to cut the other ribs.rib revision.jpg

14/05/2019 18:23:20

I have posted up a link in an earlier post to a one drive share with the STL files so far, i will add the motor files in due course.

They are to fit the standard version of the plan.

if anyone wants the 123D files to mod the parts I can make these available

14/05/2019 15:37:52

While progress on the airframe continues, I have been fiddling (and learning3D design).

This is my cartoon attempt at a 3D printed dummy motor for the Cub. It not printed as a single part but a kit of bits glued together. The crankcase is a snug  fit over the motor X mount, and I will sort out a rear mounting tab in due course.

I have still the cooling ducts and inlet and exhaust pipes to do, but they will wait until I got it mounted up on the firewall so I get a better idea of proportions and sizes, test prints of the various parts look promising.3d motor.jpg

Edited By Tim C on 14/05/2019 15:45:38

11/05/2019 09:49:36

As I am awaiting the glue to dry on my Li’l cub slats, I came across this old article on slats in RC models.

8slat1.jpg

slat2.jpg

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Sabre & MiG15 RCM&E 2018 Special
07/05/2019 21:11:23

pilot1.jpgI did one for a fellow modeller, 3d print from Thingiverse, the unfinished one is up for grabs, PM me.

pilot2.jpg

Tim

Thread: Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog
03/05/2019 16:54:39

Link to the Rib and Flap STL files

One Drive link to STL's

03/05/2019 16:44:36

I will post up a link to download the STL files for the parts I use, so far it’s the end rib and flap hinge.

3d rib.jpg

03/05/2019 15:51:20

Hinge in action

hinge3.jpg

hinge5.jpg

hinge4.jpg

03/05/2019 15:49:58

More detail of the hingehinge2.jpg

03/05/2019 15:49:13

I am getting behind with both building and posting on the blog. A plumbing disaster, bust hot water pipe in the solid floor in the kitchen and a holiday away caused work to stall.

I have nearly finished the wings, and have been working on the flaps and ailerons. I designed a flap hinge which I printed on my ANET A 8, this gives a slotted flap, it will be screwed and glued on final assembly. The pics show the trial version. I used a M2 hex bolt and nut for the pivot.

hinge1.jpg

14/04/2019 13:54:48

I then run to iron to seal the trimmed edges, and a quick run to shrink the covering, all ready for the top side covering.I use a double edge razor blade for trimming, just tape over 1 edge to protect the fingers

trim.jpg

14/04/2019 13:52:38

Tacking with iron, then seal down all the edges, shrinks well around the curves

Cover with the polyspan, just place over the top shiny side up and tack withe iron, I use about 130c

cover.jpg

14/04/2019 11:34:24

Next is to coat the balsa in glue, I use impex, brushed on slightly diluted and left to dry.

impex.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us