By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Ogier

Here is a list of all the postings John Ogier has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Prop Size vs Power Reqd
04/02/2008 17:13:00
Yes Steve. you can put a smaller prop. or you could put a limiter on your tranny so that the sc. will not open fully, using a P-mix. This way you can use whatever power you fancy.
02/02/2008 22:02:00
I would suggest gentlemen that with the advent of lipos that the need for efficiency is not as great as it was with nicads & nimhs. Efficiency will give duration at the expence of performance. When I buy a motor I look at the instructions to see the max. amps., and prop. it to that figure using an ampmeter. This gives the best performance, if you want more duration use a bigger lipo
Thread: When are lipos finished
01/12/2007 21:08:00

Timbo, Jetsome, thank you for your replies. I have heard and read that lipos may only  give as low as 50 flights before they expire. I estimate these have had 50-70. I noticed my first pack had swelled the top cell slightly so I disposed of it. I have 2 others slightly younger and am wondering how much longer I can use them. No, I don't think I have miss used them. 35-40 amps on 5 cell 3300 with a 60 amp continuous rating isn't exactly pushing it.

I have been using a BC6 charger of late and notice that when I put an empty balanced pack on to charge the cells all start off at the same voltage but soon start to vary, and some climb up to the 4.2 V max much faster than others. These stop charging and allow the others to catch up so they all end up at 4.2 V. I put a new pack on and the cells charge at the same rate.

30/11/2007 22:21:00
I have been using lipos since the spring of this year. I think they are getting finished. What should I be looking for to say they are finished.
Thread: CR-123 Lithium Ion - Lipo alternative?
21/08/2007 00:38:00
One of the things that restrict the saphions a bit is their discharge rate. They can only be used at 15C. I use 2400 19.5 6S2P packs which means I can only use 36 amps. I have used more (42-43amps) by mistake and they sort of collapse, but seem alright after the next charge. The 3300 18.5v 5S lipos can be used at higher amps with no problems and seem to hold their voltage better which gives a slightly better performance at the 37 amp max. of the motor.
18/07/2007 23:44:00
Bill,
I charge my saphions on a chameleon charger on the li-ion 3.6V program. This seems to work well. You can't balance them as there are no balance leads on the bats., but I have had no problems so far without the balancing; I still put around 2200-2300ma in each time. The charger switches off automatically at the end of charge and displays what it has put in. I have just bought a Bantam BC6 charger which has a li-fe 3.3V program that suits the saphions better. Their Volts are 3.1 per cell. If you have either of these programs on your Delta-peak it should be alright. Overlander are the peaple who sell them. Hope this helps
John
14/07/2007 22:45:00
Alistair, you mention Saphion cells. They are lithium phosphate not ion. I have been using some for about a year now and find them good. They are 6S2P 2400 and can be discharged at 15C 36 amps. One advantage over lipos is they can be discharged to almost empty without any danger of fire. Being in metal cans they are slightly heavier than my 5S1P 3300 lipo equivalent but still give a good performance. Price wise a little cheaper than lipos.
John
Thread: Sunfun
09/07/2007 00:02:00
Hi Tomas,
Could you check that your e-mail address is correct. I e-mailed the drawings you requested a couple of days ago but have had no confirmation of receipt.

John O
02/07/2007 20:34:00
Hi andy and Tomas,
I am working on the drawings at the moment and am hoping to be able to send them e- mail. I will need your addresses of course.
There will be no cost.
Regards John O
02/07/2007 00:01:00
Hi Tomas,
Thanks for your nice words about the canards. I think they fly quite well, they all have almost out of sight vertical with 3300 lipos, will do almost all the manouvres in the book including spins, snaps, prop hanging (sunfun) etc., according to how you set them up.
I do have some drawings with measurements on. If you divide the measurements by .75 this should give you what you want
Regards, John O
Thread: Mylar Hinges
23/06/2007 23:52:00
I use cocktail sticks for mylar or hinges because they have a bigger diamater than pins so won't pull through the wood so easily. If they are not stuck in you can remove them if you need to.
Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Subscribe now
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!