By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Laird

Here is a list of all the postings John Laird has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: An alternative to Balsaloc
28/05/2018 20:26:49

I have been using Impex Hi tack as a substitute for balsaloc. Easier to apply with the thin spout on the bottle- smear down flat with wet finger and leave to dry. Then apply covering and apply tacking iron to activate glue as you would with an adhesive backed covering. cost is £3/bottle but lasts longer than balsaloc as easier to apply.

Thread: Best Plane You Have Owned
19/02/2018 12:07:24

Cannot make my mind up between my almost 30 yr old scaled up Mamselle by Vic Smeed or my new year old Vagabond by Bill Winter. Both fly a treat. See for yourself

Mamselle at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxekqyMlZSs

Vagabond at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=957ylA8daZU

Edited By John Laird on 19/02/2018 12:09:37

Edited By John Laird on 19/02/2018 12:13:53

Thread: Model ID help please
29/05/2017 20:16:35

It looks like a david boddington bistormer with the cabane redesigned - the bistormer was 72" span and i think was for a 60 2 stroke. I flew mine on a 60 2 stroke Merco which was a bit sedate when it came to aerobatics.

john

Edited By John Laird on 29/05/2017 20:17:44

Edited By John Laird on 29/05/2017 20:18:08

Thread: Fly with the music
11/02/2017 10:26:03

on the otherhand , you can have videos of model flying with some nice background music

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Removing solar trim
28/10/2016 10:53:50

I used to clean my solarfilm models every once in a while with thinners . Did not harm the film but it just might loosen up tthe adhesive on the trim to enable it to pull off. It should also clean up any colour left. WD40 might also do the same.

Thread: Carbon pushrods
18/03/2016 17:38:14

I bought those carbon rods some time ago but havent used them yet as they are a bit big for my type model.

I use ordinary carbon tubes approx 1/8 dia - the inside dia is very close to the threaded wires for quick links.

I bend the wire just enough to give interference fit and then when I have right length sticking out, I wick cyano down wire into tube. As stated above, the cyano penetrates carbon and gives a good joint. I roughen wire slightly to give cyano a better key. Not pulled one out yet. !/8 rod will bend slightly on longer lengths - so need bracing along its length - usually a piece of balsa glued across fuz every 5 or 6" is sufficient.

john

Thread: Southerner 60 scaled to 72
27/02/2016 08:51:58
Posted by Ray Cockburn 1 on 25/02/2016 13:39:23:

Is the Southerner suitable for electric flight and if so what size motor and battery/ thank you

Hello Ray,

my build log details info re motor etc - 350 W for my 72" version. Rob's 250 W motor sounds about right for the 60"

Note that I lengthened the nose and the battery is immediately below it,to get CG forward for reasonable RC flying and give me more control particularly for tip stalling. The polyhedral might be more forgiving on that.

I would also agree with KC's recommendation to build a simpler more robust model as a starter and can highly recommend the majestic major or the smaller junior 60. The video of my MM will give you an idea of what it looks like and how it flies. link here .

For vintage enthusiasts, Mick's videos have a good selection

john

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Thread: Which kind of models can be flown at your site?
14/12/2015 09:05:29

our site allows anything up to 7.5 kg weight limit except turbine jets - in event of crash, fire risk in forest not acceptable

so cannot vote

Thread: Christmas drones - how many, and where will they be flown?
12/12/2015 11:20:12
Posted by Cuban8 on 12/12/2015 11:04:13:

I really can't see the Amazon drone delivery thing ever becoming a mainstream method for delivering goods. OK, they might demonstrate it for publicity purposes now and again but can it ever be economic over dirt cheap courier companies that have a massive capacity to shift stuff for peanuts?

How long before most of their drone fleet would get shot down or stolen anyway?

CAA and the Drone business are taking it seriously enough to put together regulations to ensure drone activity piloted or onboard systems are safe and secure to operate and for these to be in place in 2018. As costs of fuel for delivery vehicles rise, drone delivery will be seen as both cost effective and green.

12/12/2015 11:13:41
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 12/12/2015 10:43:17:

"Not true if you fly within a controlled zone - both my clubs are within the Manchester Air Traffic Control Zone and while getting clearance from them for a potential flying site move we were granted permission with the following restrictions "Under 400ft AGL and with models of less than 7Kg"

So dont blindly assume the 400ft limit doesnt apply to you!!!!"

we used to fly on edge of traffic controlled zone and had to ring control tower each day we flew - until they got fed up and told us not to bother - they would assume we were always flying. siuted all parties.

The link above to amazon refers to ALL drones in proposed regulated drone only airspace ( 200 to 400 agl) to have sophisticated onboard software for detection and avoidance of other drones in vicinity - now that could be useful for avoiding mid airs at your local flying field wink

12/12/2015 09:09:24
Posted by GONZO on 11/12/2015 09:44:23:

"all airspace below 400 ft which is the space we modellers are allowed."

Only models that are over 7kg are subject to the 400ft max height limit. No height limit if under 7kg.

my mistake but how many modellers fly above 400 ft or thereabouts other than gliders in thermals?

11/12/2015 09:16:16

I recently attended a presentation on drones by a member of CAA and someone from the business side ( making and providing drone services such as surveying etc ) and they indicated the proliferation of drones of all sizes and capabilities is causing concern for the safe flying of drones and they hoped to have CAA regulations in place by 2018. The Amazon proposal for drone delivery was also mentioned and I came away with the impression that Amazon is making a play for all airspace below 400 ft which is the space we modellers are allowed.

googling for more info , I came across this link from the USA in which they target 200 to 400 ft airspace with hobbyists limited to flying in dedicated locations - out of town etc. This would rule out current legitimate RC flying in local parks/playing fields. Hopefully BMFA are onto the Amazon proposal.

i cant help feeling gloomy about it all

**LINK**

Thread: Saito 100 suspect bearings
27/09/2015 09:17:00

I have a Japanes magnum 90 4 stroke which developed a lot of side play - so i changed the bearings and guess what - side play still there. came to conclusion i wasnt strict enough in keeping the large props balanced and this resulted in the front crankshaft bearing housing being opened up slightly. I should really have stripped the engine down and tried to shim the housing but as model and engine getting on a bit - I just fly as is.

Thread: speed 600 motor with 2.8:1 gear replacement?
21/04/2015 10:28:40

thanks Pat - have redirected

ash - email in your inbox re replacing 600 motor

john

20/04/2015 22:32:59

patmc,

i have sent you an email re replacement

john

Thread: Berkeley's Custom Privateer
05/04/2015 09:05:15

that looks like the finished privateer

I like the way you left the front planking to show just like the teak decks of yachts and the stringers on show at the back - real modelling.

has it flown yet - any air photos / videos?

john

02/04/2015 09:00:01

Liked the video, | had to turn back and rerun the takeoff - it was so fast breaking free of the water.

john

01/04/2015 12:31:02

Jean,

Nice choice of model - will look in with interest on the build. Do you have a pond to fly it off or are you going to fly it off grass??

Like the magnet idea to hold the wing floats in.

the vintage forum of RCgroups have just started a build projects - soar or splash - glider or floatplane.

your build log duplicated there would be a very welcome addition on the forum

john

Thread: Poly-C, Eze Kote or Ronseal Diamond Hard?
04/02/2015 09:38:17

Are any of them fuel proof against diesel or glo ?

getting close to finishing a cloud cruiser powered by a 4 stroke and need to decide how to cover

thanks

john

Thread: 'Black' Friday modelling bargains
28/11/2014 10:51:43

thanksgiving is a major traditional american holiday following taking in the harvest

the day after has developed into the biggest sale day in the usa and the term black friday , I believe started there - not sure why but wiki indicates that it could refer to the traffic/pedestrian jams during the sales, but it could also refer to the day the retailers went into the black and started to show a profit - take your pick but i would assume both reasons apply over here

Edited By John Laird on 28/11/2014 10:52:25

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!