By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Laird

Here is a list of all the postings John Laird has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Storage of IC engines inverted?
29/06/2014 21:08:06

I store my models vertically with the nose up - keeps any goo out of the plug and also out of bearings as goo runs back into crankcase

john

Thread: Saito 82b bearing replacement
30/04/2014 19:39:18
Posted by Lee D 1 on 30/04/2014 16:25:11:

Hello Rob,

The gear-puller looks perfect, it should work a treat!

When you use it expect one of two results; either the prop adapter will slip straight off without issue and you’ll wonder what all the fuss was about or it won’t budge! If it’s the latter, get some tension on the prop adopter with the puller and then heat the prop adopter with a heat gun; be prepared for a pop/crack/bang when it releases. If you don’t have a heat gun, just keep increasing the pressure, it will move (eventually) but again it will probably go with a pop/crack/bang when it comes off!

The trick here is after getting some tension then give the puller a sharp tap with a light hammer and the shock is usually enough to release the stick of the adapter

john

Thread: Fifteen Foot Buccaneer
19/04/2014 12:36:59

Chris,

sent you a message direct re your query

john

Thread: Laser cut parts. What about the black bits?
12/04/2014 08:53:08
Posted by Bucksboy on 12/04/2014 06:01:37:

I've built 3 models from the Brian Taylor range using laser cut parts, I don't do anything apart from dust them off by rubbing my finger over the edges. From examining crashed parts later the black bits have not affected the glues strength at all. I use cyno in the main and super aliphatic for some bits.

when laser cutting started, it was stated then that the charring would have no effect on gluing and I think this is particularly so with cyano and have had no problems with glue joints.

I lightly sand the sheet of parts before seperating them out just to get rid of loose carbon if any. I only sand edges where they show

john

Thread: Colouring the covering. Dying Dope?
11/04/2014 08:57:51

anybody know of anyone trying inkjet printer ink to dye doped coverings ??

john

Thread: diesel compression screw
06/04/2014 18:15:07

I think I recall the use of Brasso as a very fine abrasive to reduce and polish pistons and contra pistons where these were tight.

john

Thread: Model Flying Insurance. Not BMFA
28/02/2014 08:41:12

If you are considering flying at any club sites or meetings, you may find that bmfa insurance is req'd

Thread: Light weight fillers
25/02/2014 08:58:35

A DIY lightweight filler called spackle is popular with modellers in the USA and before the advent of lightweights over here in UK, I brought some spackle home for modelling. Its non resin, I think and I only use it for gap filling as it has no strength to it. Dries quickly and sands easily

Thread: Captive Nut gluing
07/02/2014 19:44:55

I crunch them home using the bolts then a drop of cyano at the spikes does the trick

Thread: Rare Laser engine
27/01/2014 18:29:30

I have seen and heard one on a vintage model - a majestic major if memory serves me well - a beautiful low purr as it whispered past.

Only a few were made and unlikely to be any more- shame

worth the £400 - dont know if I could stretch to the possible £1100

Thread: It's the grand pre-Xmas (better stuff than normal) giveaway!
22/12/2013 09:57:19

nearly missed this

john

Thread: What's been your best model or moment/s in 2013
05/12/2013 18:53:50

Maidening my twice sized Debutante by Vic Smeed. Video shows it on its second day out when there was light winds which showed of RC assisted vintage flying at its best. Hopefully the link will work

**LINK**

Thread: Vic Smeed's Debutante scaled up
01/11/2013 08:59:57

Bernie,

The debutante is a nice looking model and as you say, it flies very well.

I dont have pdf of enlarged drawing but its fairly easy to scale up from the original dwg available in X plans at hobbystore

john

Thread: Free stuff weekend
04/10/2013 08:36:26

a bundle of balsa would come in very handy for my next build

thank you in anticipation

Thread: More oomph for the Mamselle, help needed.
30/09/2013 09:06:33

Small sports models will fly fast after they are loaded with RC unless you build really light. I would have thought you could fly electric at a local sports field in the evening when winds nearly always drop off.

The scaled up version of the Mamselle published a few years ago - 52 or 54" span should handle wind better.

My 72 and 108" Mamselles are OK in wind - and altho I loop them occasionally. they have better presence flying around on low power as the original was designed to do. I still fly my 38" version free flight as it has a 0.5cc dart diesel engine but not in local park - noise and restricted space

john

Thread: Hampshire Model Flying Association
04/09/2013 15:15:49

private mail on its way with contact email address

Thread: Vic Smeed's Debutante scaled up
24/08/2013 09:50:32

For those interested in vintage models, I have recently completed a build of an 80" span version of Vic's 40" span Debutante - one of his prettiest designs. This followed the build last year of a 60" version as a pilot project - no pun intended.

Details of the model and the build log can be seen here

**LINK**

The youtube video of the 80 span model flying showing off its low flying speed is here

**LINK**

For those interested in vintage models, Mick's youtube site has video of  several vintage models

debutante maiden flight day 5 jul 2013 (1).jpg

debutante maiden flight day 5 jul 2013 (6).jpg

Edited By John Laird on 24/08/2013 09:53:33

Thread: OS Max or OS LA
24/08/2013 08:06:48

My understanding is that the LA's were designed for easier starting and running - ie beginner friendly.

The other ranges have more power

My LA40 runs very nicely and if not screaming- sounds much quieter - almost 4 stroker

john

Thread: My Finished Mam'selle...
12/08/2013 09:22:11
Posted by IanH on 11/08/2013 22:21:51:

Thank you for the compliments smiley

I just took a look at the Poppet plan on Outerzone MidnightKiteFlyer, it does look quick doesn't it! Quick enough in fact that I might build one for my first "proper" free-flight plane to fly at one of the Old Warden events. I intended my Mam'selle to be able to be used for free-flight with an electric timer and such, but having taken so long to build her, I'm a bit loath to risk giving her to the free-flight gods, so I think perhaps a Poppet might be my first sacrificial offering. Plus I've got a bit of a soft spot for Vic Smeed designs so thanks for the suggestion.

good choice

I fly my dart powered mamselle at middle wallop but only with a smidgen of fuel and very light winds - the thermal gods can have her after I've gone but not before - at over 35years old - she's too good to lose.

I wouldn't fly it at old warden, tho - too small a field

john

Thread: Backing PC up
21/07/2013 09:33:44
Posted by kevin b on 20/07/2013 23:25:58:

Hi Erfolg.

I'm not too hot on computers either. What you want is an external hard drive onto which you can back up via a USB port. They come in alsorts of sizes and it depends on how big you want and how much you want to spend. Usually a terrabyte drive will be more than ample for your needs if you are anything like me. Then all you do is copy from your machine onto the drive. As they say "simples". Each time you back up you can create a new folder until the drive is quite full and then you delete the oldest copies. It's also a good idea to keep the back up drive well away from your computer and only plug it in when you need to back up. I have an arrangement with some friends that we look after each others backup drives and swap them over regularly. That way we have security, unless both our houses are burgled or burnt down at the same time !

Hope this helps.

kevinb

and I thought I was over the top - apparently not - never thought about more disastrous events - need to think about that

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us