By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Kearsley

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Kearsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Batteries during no use times...
25/05/2020 11:42:25

The general thinking, with LiPo batteries at least, is to store them partially charged, to around 3.85V per cell. Most chargers will do a storage charge and normally this is intelligent in that it will charge if the cell Voltage is below 3.85V, or discharge if the cell Voltage is above that. Not knowing what charger you have, it's impossible to give exact instructions of course! I think you need to persevere and get to grips with your particular charger's way of doing it.

Cheers,

Tim.

Thread: The big question, WHEN
12/05/2020 15:11:47

If this topic goes much further off course and into politics again, hopefully the mods will close it.

Tim.

Thread: Can I or can I not fly?
24/03/2020 18:55:59
Posted by Michael Barclay on 24/03/2020 18:34:37:
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 24/03/2020 17:52:56:

Some seem to be missing the point. It isn't about whether you think going flying is low risk or not. The govt have stated the rules that we must adhere to for the time being. Those rules allow going out once per day, alone or with other members of your household, for exercise or for a few other essential reasons. If you argue that flying your model is exercise then so will the anglers and kite-flyers and photographers and... you get the drift.

Tim.

So if I take my daily exercise as I do by walking to the field where no one else will be flying, spending an hour enjoying myself and walking home where is the harm in that. Indeed as I live alone it may just keep me sane.

I know exactly what you mean Michael, but, again, you're missing the point. It isn't down to your judgement as to what's acceptable, or mine. The govt has decreed what is acceptable and, like it or not, it's incumbent on us to comply. The problem with making rules is that if you make them too complicated, with lots of "ifs" and "buts" then people are just confused. The govt has kept it as simple as possible and listed just four legitimate reasons to be outside.

Tim.

24/03/2020 17:52:56

Some seem to be missing the point. It isn't about whether you think going flying is low risk or not. The govt have stated the rules that we must adhere to for the time being. Those rules allow going out once per day, alone or with other members of your household, for exercise or for a few other essential reasons. If you argue that flying your model is exercise then so will the anglers and kite-flyers and photographers and... you get the drift.

Tim.

24/03/2020 15:30:53

I don't really see how flying a model aeroplane is exercise, in the spirit of the govt. advice. So yes, flying alone in the middle of a field is almost certainly safe, but doesn't really fall comfortably in the categories specified. As far as I'm personally concerned, our club has (rightly, in my opinion), closed our field and club-house, so I'm not even tempted!

Given the hardships thousands of others are experiencing, I think not flying for a few months is not up there with the worst.

Tim.

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
24/03/2020 12:55:08

This is by a long way the best, non-hysterical, factual article on Covid-19 that I've seen so far - link.

Tim.

Thread: Covid 19
24/03/2020 09:01:45

It seems to me there's a bit of an "elephant in the room" here. Have you asked yourself how this situation we are in is going to end? At the moment, the strategy is to limit the transmission of the virus, mainly so that the NHS isn't overwhelmed by hospital cases. But say in three months the situation has eased a bit and some sanctions are lifted. What happens? Transmission rates soar again and we're back to square one. As far as I can see there are just a few long-term solutions:

1) Science develops a vaccine. That's probably at least a year away from being available en masse - probably longer.

2) Society develops the so-called "herd immunity". From what I read, this needs around 60% of the population to become infected and develop immunity. With the current strategy, that's months or years away.

3) Drugs are developed which successfully treat Covid-19, so that infection isn't the fear that it currently is. No sign of that yet.

4) Enough restrictions are left in place for months, or maybe years, such that the transmission rate is manageable.

I really hope I'm wrong in this, but I can't see any quick-fixes. Thank gawd I've got a kit build in progress!

Tim.

21/03/2020 09:26:32

What I don't understand though is where is the risk in going out into the countryside, either walking or cycling, where if you see anyone else at all you can easily keep a distance of several metres away? By restricting even that kind of activity you are surely going to start affecting people's mental health?

I totally understand closing all social gatherings, but outside on your own? Don't get it.

Tim.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
16/03/2020 20:01:02
Posted by kevin b on 16/03/2020 18:58:08:
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 16/03/2020 16:25:28:
Posted by kevin b on 16/03/2020 15:58:16

I eventually got past said driver, who appeared to be about 3ft tall and over the age of 90 with white hair She didn't seem bothered in any way and as I sped away She returned back to the centre of the road with 2 wheels either side of the white line.

Why have you put the word "she" in bold?

Tim.

As I said in the posting (it was a reply to Erfolg and to be read in context). I am getting worried about Him.

Got you!

Tim.

16/03/2020 16:25:28
Posted by kevin b on 16/03/2020 15:58:16

I eventually got past said driver, who appeared to be about 3ft tall and over the age of 90 with white hair She didn't seem bothered in any way and as I sped away She returned back to the centre of the road with 2 wheels either side of the white line.

Why have you put the word "she" in bold?

Tim.

14/03/2020 16:17:32

To clear up any confusion, no, Corona virus is NOT a type of flu.

Tim.

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 14/03/2020 16:17:57

Thread: electric to oily motor conversion
05/03/2020 18:53:33
Posted by Solly on 05/03/2020 18:09:42:

Typical of the electric brigade. Someone wants advice on i/c conversion and all he gets are biased reasons why he shouldn't do it.

No, he's getting advice that a modern brushless setup is far more practical, not "biased reasons". Don't start yet another " I.C. versus electric" diatribe for goodness sake.

Tim.

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
23/02/2020 17:32:50

Trebor, I think a few on here either were born without a sense of humour or have since had it surgically removed!

Tim.

Thread: Loads must go
23/02/2020 13:09:27
Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 22/02/2020 21:43:31:

I'm posting this with a heavy heart...

As much as I love model-flying it takes up too much of my time and I am struggling to keep up with the everyday basics such as cleaning and maintaining my home, so something has to give. I will be re-homing my collection.

Please don't ask any questions, as I can't handle talking about it.

Below is a list of what's available. All FREE of charge, but to good homes only. Serious inquiries only please.

Thanks for reading and understanding...

1. Dustpan and brush
2. Sponges
3. Dusters
4. Mop and bucket
5. Window cleaner
6. Vacuum cleaner
7. Dishwashing liquid
8. Laundry detergent
9. Fabric softener
10. Laundry baskets
11. Toilet brush
12. Cleaning sprays
13. Scrubbing brushes
14. Stiff broom
15. garden fork and spade
16. wheelbarrow

Hmmm, bit of plagiarism perhaps? The exact same post was made by Brian Cooper on 9/7/2019!

Tim.

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
23/02/2020 11:44:46

All of this could pale into insignificance of course if (more likely when) so-called "electronic conspicuity" becomes enforced on us. I believe that really WILL see people dropping out of the hobby.

Having just watched the recent "Panorama" programme on the subject of how much Amazon knows about us and their ambitions, I wouldn't be too sure that Amazon drones won't be in the skies before long. It seems that it won't only be deliveries they'll be doing, but surveillance too.

Tim.

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
21/02/2020 18:22:08
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 17:30:28:

Seemed pretty easy to follow the path on Google maps, given that Nigel knew where the farm was. The only unknown is the position of the operator but I think it's a reasonable assumption that as they weren't visible during the flight, visual line of sight wasn't maintained.

I don't follow this I'm afraid. Nigel said he recognised the area, not that he knew the farm itself. Given the area is flooded, I can't see how anybody can pinpoint where that drone is with much accuracy, let alone know where the pilot is. None of it really matters I guess, but I don't like assumptions being presented as facts.

Tim.

21/02/2020 15:25:29
Posted by Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:01:

That BBC footage...

here

is the spot the drone is at, at 50 seconds in. It is around 500m away from the start point. I can't see squat at 500m, let alone orient a drone behind two hedges.

On a side note, I recognise the area; unless I'm mistaken those fields flood most years. They flooded last year. They are all very low lying. Every few years the A40 might close at that spot. This year the Wye went very high though.

Edited By Nigel R on 21/02/2020 12:27:45

Nigel, I'm intrigued - how do you know where the drone is at 50s in, and where it started from? Apologies if I've missed something very simple!

Tim.

Thread: Who says flying thermal soarers is boring?
07/02/2020 12:51:50

I fly F5J models and use the motor at the front purely to get me up to altitude. From that point I hunt thermals, like any glider that's been launched by bungee, towed up or thrown DLG-style. I've never understood the purists who complain that it's "not real gliding". I use a vario too - I suppose that's frowned on as well!

Tim.

P.S. Sorry for the double post!

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 07/02/2020 12:52:42

07/02/2020 12:51:13

I fly F5J models and use the motor at the front purely to get me up to altitude. From that point I hunt thermals, like any glider that's been launched by bungee, towed up or thrown DLG-style. I've never understood the purists who complain that it's "not real gliding". I use a vario too - I suppose that's frowned on as well!

Tim.

07/02/2020 08:57:39

While watching a thermal soarer as a spectator could be dull I suppose, anyone who finds flying a thermal soarer boring hasn't understood the point I think! There's nothing more absorbing than trying to find and stay in thermal lift. It's a calm, relaxing antidote to high-adrenaline aerobatic activity!

Tim.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!