By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Kearsley

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Kearsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Latest CAA Update
13/09/2019 16:33:05
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 16:25:01:
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 13/09/2019 16:06:38:
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 13:06:12:

Posted by Jason-I on 13/09/2019 10:14:28:

Also quoting the Gatwick drone incident again as if it was fact, yet still no evidence that a drone was ever involved.

I know that I am going to regret asking this, but if there wasn't a 'drone', what do you think happened at Gatwick?

Given that almost everyone now has a mobile phone with camera (s), why did not one of the 115 produce usable video or still photographic evidence?

How do you know that they didn't?

Show me where they did. I said "produce", i.e. make public. The Wikipedia article on the incident states no photographic evidence was given to police.

13/09/2019 16:06:38
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 13:06:12:

Posted by Jason-I on 13/09/2019 10:14:28:

Also quoting the Gatwick drone incident again as if it was fact, yet still no evidence that a drone was ever involved.

I know that I am going to regret asking this, but if there wasn't a 'drone', what do you think happened at Gatwick?

A mass hallucination by the 115 people who reported see a 'drone'?

A conspiracy to shutdown the airport for some unknown reason?

Steve

Given that almost everyone now has a mobile phone with camera (s), why did not one of the 115 produce usable video or still photographic evidence?

Thread: Brian Winch
25/08/2019 08:21:05

As Trevor, I don't fly IC at all now, but I always found Brian's articles of interest. His depth and breadth of knowledge was staggering. Very sad.

Tim.

Thread: Cyclists Amongst Us
11/07/2019 18:46:48

I took the plunge last year and bought a Cube Acid Hybrid e-bike. I've had a few comments when passing the Lycra brigade on a hill of "Cheat!" but my response is that as I'm not in a competition how can I be cheating!

Seriously, you can choose to exert yourself as much or as little as you like with an e-bike. 95% of the time I'm well over the 15.5 mph point where assistance tails off. It's the hills where I really appreciate it. As an old fogey of 64 I think I deserve a bit of help!

Tim.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
30/06/2019 19:11:41
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 30/06/2019 18:49:48:

Finally home.

I flew 3 models in 15 slots. Most of the models now need some sort of minor maintenance but nothing major. I on the other hand need a complete overhaul so im going to lie down for a bit.

I hope those that attended enjoyed it. I certainly did even if i am a bit crisp around the edges.

We were there on Saturday Jon and I'd like to thank yourself and ALL the pilots who entertained us for a superb show. The only downside is that it makes you realise how mediocre a pilot you are yourself!!

Tim.

Thread: Is it now time for cyclists to wear an identifier and pay a tax?
21/06/2019 16:56:35

Re the point about cyclists' "attitude" exactly the same point can be made about motorists. My friend cycles to work every day. He has lost count of the times that he has been overtaken by a motorist AFTER he has stuck out his right arm to indicate turning right at a roundabout. Cycling causes no pollution and does no damage to the road. There are inconsiderate cyclists, just as there are inconsiderate motorists.

21/06/2019 13:00:59

No.

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 19:43:53

Hi Paul,

The model that went in today had an electronic switch, so no moving parts (I don't trust mechanical switches). I used a separate Rx NimH pack in this model which I had charged the night before. I too have used Spektrum for at least 10 years, with no issues. It's the loss of two models with unexplained glitches which has made me doubt the Tx. It could of course be nothing to do with the Tx, but how can you tell?

Tim.

21/05/2019 18:35:09

Guys, I'm looking for your expert opinions!

Today, my beloved Great Planes SR22 met its maker. It was flying beautifully and had been for a few minutes, when it inexplicably dived to the ground. I didn't react quickly enough to kill the throttle so it went in under power and is, well, written off.

Last week I had another model, a Durafly Excalibur, intermittently rolling suddenly to the left. That too suffered some damage, as I was unable to land it cleanly.

In both cases, there was no clear reason for what happened. In the Excalibur I had used a Lemon Rx, in the SR22, a Spektrum AR8000. The Tx is a DX8 G2.

In both cases the models had range-checked OK and were not flying at great distance. I also always make a basic check of control surfaces after every session and had found no issues with either model.

I have reached the point where I daren't fly another model in case the Tx has some intermittent problem What do you think?

What's the procedure now for Spekky repairs - return to HH in Germany?

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Tim.

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
20/03/2019 18:13:05

Sounds a bit Draconian to me. I use Spektrum brand but I also use Lemon receivers and I've never experienced a problem.

What prompted the ban at your club Tony? Was it a specific incident that had safety issues?

Tim.

Thread: Koado anyone?
06/03/2019 15:01:31

I recently bought a glider at our club's annual auction. It's a 2.3 metre span model, with GRP fuselage and foam core wings. The only thing I know about it is that it was made by Koado and decals suggest it was called "Funtime".

I've not been able to find anything online about the model, or indeed about Koado, other than they were a Czech company I think.

Anyone heard of the model or Koado, and know anything about it or them?

Thanks,

Tim.

Thread: YAD (Yet Another Drone) and its idiot
23/02/2019 17:15:53
Posted by Ikura on 23/02/2019 16:09:38:
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 23/02/2019 15:33:46:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz,I did end this discussion,some people do go on a bit lol

You don't get to say when a discussion is over. You need to be a moderator to close a thread.

Try learning how to use puctuation and grammar in your posts and maybe people will take you a little more seriously.

You come over as a wind up merchant who likes to start a thread with not much to contribute other than strange comments that very few can understand.

Couldn't agree more!

Thread: Field mower question
15/02/2019 12:48:12
Posted by Jonathan W on 15/02/2019 12:02:42:

Neither I nor Tim are on the committee. I'm sure they have looked into various repair options and have considered the hydraulic pump problem in all aspects. The outcome was that the repair was not economic.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear in the initial post - I am a committee member, since the AGM in December 2017. We have indeed considered repair options on the current mower and none really makes economic sense. The purpose of the question on this forum was to see what other clubs are doing and gain opinions on the relative merits of cylinder versus rotary, height of cut, owning a mower versus using a contractor etc. Your responses have been most useful, thank you.

Tim.

14/02/2019 18:52:38

Thank you very much for all the replies chaps - it's much appreciated. To answer some of the questions, our field is average I would say. The strip is protected from the grazing animals (cattle or sheep) by an electric fence and has been regularly mowed of course and rolled a couple of times a year. We suffer, as most do, from rabbit activity and our members fly everything from trainers to jets.

The two points of dispute within our committee are the length of grass we need to maintain and whether a cylinder or rotary mower would do the job.

We'll get there, I'm sure!

Tim.

14/02/2019 15:30:38

Afternoon chaps,

Our club mower has seen better days and it seems now is the time to think about replacing it. There is some disagreement among the members of our committee about what to get. I'm therefore just looking for some opinions from fellow enthusiasts:

What type of mower so you use, i.e. cylinder or rotary, and what size?

How closely do you mow your strip? One of our committee reckons a quarter of an inch is necessary. Many of us think that's unrealistic and longer grass wouldn't do any harm?

What size of mower? Our current, aged mower has an 84-inch cut.

Any inputs would be most welcome. Committee disharmony is a real threat here!

Thanks.

Thread: T-tail linkage question
03/02/2019 17:50:18

Yes Frank, a servo in the tail seems the best option. The main thing which concerns me is adding weight to the tail. It's an electric glider, which has a brushed 600 motor, which I will replace with a brushless, reducing the weight in the nose. I hate adding dead weight, but will likely have to, to achieve a workable CG. I can't find any details about the model online, so I guess it's a good few years old now.

03/02/2019 14:05:32

A few days ago I bought a 2.3 metre span glider, at our annual club auction. The model appears to be from "Koado Model Sport", who, I believe, is/was a Czech manufacturer. The model is in generally good nick, but the person who assembled it made a complete bodge job on the T-tail elevator. The linkage consisted of a tube epoxied to the covering material of the elevator (!) and a cable links back to a servo at the front of the fuselage. The scope for backlash and problems in general is huge I would say. So I want to do something more sound. However, I'm stuck for a really good idea. Any thoughts anyone?

The fuselage is GRP and the fin, I presume is hollow, as it's all one moulding, in two halves.

I've attached a few pics.

Cheers,

Tim.

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

Thread: Dave Burton (BEB)
01/01/2019 09:17:27

I've only just seen this. I'm deeply shocked and saddened. Dave was a first-class contributor to the magazine and his loss will be sorely felt. Sincere condolences to his family.

Tim.

Thread: which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?
30/11/2018 19:54:26

There must be an argument for the moderators closing a thread when it descends into such drivel and which has no relevance to the title.

Tim.

Thread: Detrum-IStone-A2 6 axis gyro.
02/11/2018 18:47:14

I think the term "6-axis" is rather misleading. As you rightly say Tim, there are only three axes. The term 6-axis generally refers to a device with gyros on all three axes plus accelerometers on the three axes - hence six sensors in total. It's just the terminology which is confusing!

Tim.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Addlestone Models
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us