By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Kearsley

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Kearsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: NEW POLL - do you use a throttle kill switch?
26/10/2019 11:22:26

Just one additional point on this - a few years ago the Spektrum Tx I used didn't offer a dedicated throttle cut function, but it wasn't difficult to implement it via a switchable throttle-throttle mix. As always, there's more than one way to skin the cat.

Tim.

26/10/2019 11:16:56

Absolutely do, on every single model. I use OpenTx on a Taranis now, and have a switch set up such that it will only arm the motor if the switch is in one position AND the throttle stick is at idle. It's so simple to do and offers a decent level of protection that I'm not sure why you wouldn't do it. I also have the radio announce "Throttle armed" and "Throttle disarmed" appropriately. Additionally, at power up of the Tx, it warns if the throttle isn't at idle.

Having said that, it's important to remember that ESCs CAN be faulty and always be aware that once the battery is connected the motor COULD spin!

Tim.

Edit - Just realised after posting that Chris Bott had already very eloquently made all those points!

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 26/10/2019 11:19:39

Thread: Altitude announcements
16/10/2019 16:37:28

Thanks Torsten, I hadn't considered that as a possibility.

Andy, I'm using the variometer built into the G-RX8 receiver. The reason I've got these announcements set up at all is because the Rx is installed in a 3.7 metre span sailplane. This is still perfectly visible and controllable at quite a decent altitude, so I thought it would be useful to know as each 100 feet went by. But you're quite right, I must just ignore the "untidiness" of it and be thankful for the flexibility of OpenTx to allow me to do it at all!

Tim.

16/10/2019 13:58:02

I set up a logical switch using the |d|>x function Bob, with the altitude telemetry value as the "x" and the interval (the "d" value) set to 100. Then a special function announces the altitude with a "Play value" command every time the switch fires.

Tim.

16/10/2019 13:38:47

Yes, I suspect you've hit the nail on the head there Frank. At the end of the day, the requirement to have altitude updates is being met. I was just being pernickety!

Tim.

16/10/2019 12:59:18

It's a good point you make Ron. I probably wouldn't go to the trouble of recording my own audio to be honest. I just wondered if there was some way to ensure that the altimeter was recording 0 at the time the logical switch first fired, as the delta function should ensure the switch fires at every 100 subsequently. I guess it's all a bit academic really as the altimeter is probably accurate to a few feet at best.

Tim.

16/10/2019 09:10:05

I'm trying to get my Taranis X9D+, running OpenTx 2.2.4, to announce the altitude of a sailplane at every 100 feet. I've set up a logical switch using the absolute delta function, with a special function to play the telemetry value when the logical switch "fires". It works.... kind of! The trouble is, my OCD nature would really like the announcements at the exact 100 foot intervals, e.g. at 100 ft, 200 ft, 300 ft etc. But it is happening at, say, 103 ft, 203 ft, 303 ft.... you get the drift.

Is there any way of forcing the announcements to be at the exact bounday? Or am I entering the realm of LUA scripts, with which so far I've not experimented. Or perhaps I should just curb my OCD tendency!

Thanks,

Tim.

Thread: OpenTx "feature"!
08/10/2019 16:11:40

Thanks Andy, those diagrams do explain exactly the behaviour I observed. I agree that the "open" nature of OpenTx is a big advantage compared to proprietary Tx opposing systems. I won't risk starting a brand war by stating what I used to use, but I will say that I greatly prefer the flexibility of OpenTx!

Tim.

07/10/2019 22:07:27

I agree David, there is almost always more than one way to achieve what you want. I've only been using OpenTx for a couple of months, but I love it!

Tim.

07/10/2019 17:41:03

I guess it depends which way you want the logic to work. I wanted a switch which would be TRUE when the motor was active, i.e. the throttle channel higher than -100. I used -95 to give a bit of leeway. If I'd wanted the switch to be true when the motor was off I would have tested for less than -95.

Tim.

07/10/2019 16:21:22

Ah, OK, thanks for that Mike.

I still find it an odd way to work!

Tim.

07/10/2019 14:39:06

I'm very much a new boy in using OpenTx (2.2.4) on a Taranis X9D Plus, but thoroughly enjoying the flexibility it gives you in doing just about anything you want.

I just came across some unexpected behaviour though, which is apparently known, but which I find "odd".

I have a throttle cut switch set up, as I suspect most do, which I've implemented by using a Special Function to override the value of CH1 (throttle channel) to -100 when a switch is thrown. All works exactly as expected.

I then wanted to set up a logical switch which would be TRUE when the motor was active, in order to only enable a Vario when the motor was idle (the model is an F5J sailplane). I naively thought that this would be as simple as checking CH1 and setting the switch ON when the CH1 value was > -95 say.

It didn't work! Although the channel monitor correctly shows CH1 at -100 when the throttle cut switch is ON, regardless of where the throttle stick is, the logical switch processing DOES NOT! After a great deal of head-scratching, some intensive Googling eventually revealed that this is known behaviour and that the channel override is only done AFTER all logical switch processing has been done, just before the channel value is sent to the Rx.

It's worth keeping in mind. I solved my own little problem simply by adding an AND condition to check that the throttle was armed. I do think though that the channel value "seen" by the logical switch processing should be the same as seen in the channel monitor. It's mighty confusing otherwise!

Tim.

Edited By Tim Kearsley on 07/10/2019 14:42:07

Thread: Latest CAA Update
13/09/2019 16:33:05
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 16:25:01:
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 13/09/2019 16:06:38:
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 13:06:12:

Posted by Jason-I on 13/09/2019 10:14:28:

Also quoting the Gatwick drone incident again as if it was fact, yet still no evidence that a drone was ever involved.

I know that I am going to regret asking this, but if there wasn't a 'drone', what do you think happened at Gatwick?

Given that almost everyone now has a mobile phone with camera (s), why did not one of the 115 produce usable video or still photographic evidence?

How do you know that they didn't?

Show me where they did. I said "produce", i.e. make public. The Wikipedia article on the incident states no photographic evidence was given to police.

13/09/2019 16:06:38
Posted by Steve J on 13/09/2019 13:06:12:

Posted by Jason-I on 13/09/2019 10:14:28:

Also quoting the Gatwick drone incident again as if it was fact, yet still no evidence that a drone was ever involved.

I know that I am going to regret asking this, but if there wasn't a 'drone', what do you think happened at Gatwick?

A mass hallucination by the 115 people who reported see a 'drone'?

A conspiracy to shutdown the airport for some unknown reason?

Steve

Given that almost everyone now has a mobile phone with camera (s), why did not one of the 115 produce usable video or still photographic evidence?

Thread: Brian Winch
25/08/2019 08:21:05

As Trevor, I don't fly IC at all now, but I always found Brian's articles of interest. His depth and breadth of knowledge was staggering. Very sad.

Tim.

Thread: Cyclists Amongst Us
11/07/2019 18:46:48

I took the plunge last year and bought a Cube Acid Hybrid e-bike. I've had a few comments when passing the Lycra brigade on a hill of "Cheat!" but my response is that as I'm not in a competition how can I be cheating!

Seriously, you can choose to exert yourself as much or as little as you like with an e-bike. 95% of the time I'm well over the 15.5 mph point where assistance tails off. It's the hills where I really appreciate it. As an old fogey of 64 I think I deserve a bit of help!

Tim.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
30/06/2019 19:11:41
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 30/06/2019 18:49:48:

Finally home.

I flew 3 models in 15 slots. Most of the models now need some sort of minor maintenance but nothing major. I on the other hand need a complete overhaul so im going to lie down for a bit.

I hope those that attended enjoyed it. I certainly did even if i am a bit crisp around the edges.

We were there on Saturday Jon and I'd like to thank yourself and ALL the pilots who entertained us for a superb show. The only downside is that it makes you realise how mediocre a pilot you are yourself!!

Tim.

Thread: Is it now time for cyclists to wear an identifier and pay a tax?
21/06/2019 16:56:35

Re the point about cyclists' "attitude" exactly the same point can be made about motorists. My friend cycles to work every day. He has lost count of the times that he has been overtaken by a motorist AFTER he has stuck out his right arm to indicate turning right at a roundabout. Cycling causes no pollution and does no damage to the road. There are inconsiderate cyclists, just as there are inconsiderate motorists.

21/06/2019 13:00:59

No.

Thread: Glitches and crashes
21/05/2019 19:43:53

Hi Paul,

The model that went in today had an electronic switch, so no moving parts (I don't trust mechanical switches). I used a separate Rx NimH pack in this model which I had charged the night before. I too have used Spektrum for at least 10 years, with no issues. It's the loss of two models with unexplained glitches which has made me doubt the Tx. It could of course be nothing to do with the Tx, but how can you tell?

Tim.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us