By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Kearsley

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Kearsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Field mower question
15/02/2019 12:48:12
Posted by Jonathan W on 15/02/2019 12:02:42:

Neither I nor Tim are on the committee. I'm sure they have looked into various repair options and have considered the hydraulic pump problem in all aspects. The outcome was that the repair was not economic.

Sorry, I didn't make it clear in the initial post - I am a committee member, since the AGM in December 2017. We have indeed considered repair options on the current mower and none really makes economic sense. The purpose of the question on this forum was to see what other clubs are doing and gain opinions on the relative merits of cylinder versus rotary, height of cut, owning a mower versus using a contractor etc. Your responses have been most useful, thank you.

Tim.

14/02/2019 18:52:38

Thank you very much for all the replies chaps - it's much appreciated. To answer some of the questions, our field is average I would say. The strip is protected from the grazing animals (cattle or sheep) by an electric fence and has been regularly mowed of course and rolled a couple of times a year. We suffer, as most do, from rabbit activity and our members fly everything from trainers to jets.

The two points of dispute within our committee are the length of grass we need to maintain and whether a cylinder or rotary mower would do the job.

We'll get there, I'm sure!

Tim.

14/02/2019 15:30:38

Afternoon chaps,

Our club mower has seen better days and it seems now is the time to think about replacing it. There is some disagreement among the members of our committee about what to get. I'm therefore just looking for some opinions from fellow enthusiasts:

What type of mower so you use, i.e. cylinder or rotary, and what size?

How closely do you mow your strip? One of our committee reckons a quarter of an inch is necessary. Many of us think that's unrealistic and longer grass wouldn't do any harm?

What size of mower? Our current, aged mower has an 84-inch cut.

Any inputs would be most welcome. Committee disharmony is a real threat here!

Thanks.

Thread: T-tail linkage question
03/02/2019 17:50:18

Yes Frank, a servo in the tail seems the best option. The main thing which concerns me is adding weight to the tail. It's an electric glider, which has a brushed 600 motor, which I will replace with a brushless, reducing the weight in the nose. I hate adding dead weight, but will likely have to, to achieve a workable CG. I can't find any details about the model online, so I guess it's a good few years old now.

03/02/2019 14:05:32

A few days ago I bought a 2.3 metre span glider, at our annual club auction. The model appears to be from "Koado Model Sport", who, I believe, is/was a Czech manufacturer. The model is in generally good nick, but the person who assembled it made a complete bodge job on the T-tail elevator. The linkage consisted of a tube epoxied to the covering material of the elevator (!) and a cable links back to a servo at the front of the fuselage. The scope for backlash and problems in general is huge I would say. So I want to do something more sound. However, I'm stuck for a really good idea. Any thoughts anyone?

The fuselage is GRP and the fin, I presume is hollow, as it's all one moulding, in two halves.

I've attached a few pics.

Cheers,

Tim.

tail1.jpg

tail2.jpg

tail3.jpg

Thread: Dave Burton (BEB)
01/01/2019 09:17:27

I've only just seen this. I'm deeply shocked and saddened. Dave was a first-class contributor to the magazine and his loss will be sorely felt. Sincere condolences to his family.

Tim.

Thread: which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?
30/11/2018 19:54:26

There must be an argument for the moderators closing a thread when it descends into such drivel and which has no relevance to the title.

Tim.

Thread: Detrum-IStone-A2 6 axis gyro.
02/11/2018 18:47:14

I think the term "6-axis" is rather misleading. As you rightly say Tim, there are only three axes. The term 6-axis generally refers to a device with gyros on all three axes plus accelerometers on the three axes - hence six sensors in total. It's just the terminology which is confusing!

Tim.

01/11/2018 16:51:51

It was actually me that wrote the article - the credit to Lee was a mistake!

In principle, the gyro doesn't care whether the power source is IC or electric - it's just controlling the ailerons, elevator and rudder. However, gyros can get upset by vibration, and an IC engine, by it's very reciprocating nature, is going to transmit more vibration to the airframe than an electric motor. That said, it may very well work perfectly well.

Hope that helps!

Tim.

Thread: Electric Cars.
19/10/2018 16:05:52
Posted by kc on 19/10/2018 13:46:12:

The answer to the problem of too many vehicles is simple......

....have less people. Tax people having children instead of paying them! solves the housing problem in future etc, etc. People overlook the fact that this is what improved the Chinese economy in a generation.

At last, someone with the guts to say it! Hear, hear.

Tim.

Thread: Can I have two Life batteries powering my Futaba receiver?
23/09/2018 12:49:54

I think it might be slightly better to run two batteries into two separate ports on the Rx, rather than into a "Y" lead and then into the Rx, as it gives some redundancy against the connection becoming faulty. It's all about trying to avoid single points of failure after all. I've run two LiFe batteries on a Hangar 9 Spitfire (the 30cc one) for a year or so with no issues at all. I don't use diodes at the moment, but I might change that, as, on reflection, it does offer some protection against a battery failing and pulling down the other one. But then every component you put in circuit is another point of failure. I also avoid switches for the same reason, simply plugging the Rx batteries into a short extension from the Rx. If I do use a switch I use an electronic one - I simply don't trust mechanical switches!

Tim.

Thread: "The Chase" quiz show
04/09/2018 18:43:35
Posted by Rich too on 04/09/2018 18:25:56:

Well done Tim, we’re regular viewers of the show. Bradley is a great host.

He is indeed, and a very nice bloke too.

Tim.

03/09/2018 19:52:25

Thanks chaps, for the kind comments.

It was a bit strange watching it, as there were whole bits of it I'd not taken in on the day.

We didn't buy a campervan in the end, as we hired one first and found we weren't that keen! So the money helped me buy a new car!

Tim.

03/09/2018 16:05:10

Yes, sorry, forgot to add that it's ITV, 5 pm. I wasn't nervous at all to start with, but by the time the production assistants had finished with us I was a quivering wreck! Still, it was an interesting day. Bradley seemed quite interested in RC aircraft!

Tim.

03/09/2018 12:43:11

Just thought, if you're a regular viewer of The Chase, you'd like to know that tonight's episode (Monday, 3rd September) has a model aircraft enthusiast as a contestant - namely me! We filmed the show back in July last year. I won't spoil it by telling you if we win or not. I'll just say that it's a cracking episode.

Tim.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
11/06/2018 16:11:34
Posted by Andy Meade on 11/06/2018 14:12:07:

I did see on their forum that someone suggested the 400ft rule should apply to anything powered - I quite like that one, but I know not of what the BMFA's plans are for us.

I don't follow the logic of that point of view though. Presumably the issues of model aircraft flying at altitudes greater than 400 ft are concerned with safety and the possibility of collision with another airspace user? If so, then how does a 4m span glider pose any less threat than a 2m span powered model? Sounds like the glider fraternity wanting to be looked on as a special case!

Tim.

Thread: Servo extension leads
04/06/2018 16:10:47

I did a little "how-to" article on making your own servo extensions in the mag a while ago. Once you've got the crimp tool and a little practice behind you it really is very simple. The big advantage is you make custom extensions to suit YOU, instead of making do with what's available.

Tim.

Thread: Tyre wear
31/03/2018 18:47:58
Posted by Peter Christy on 15/03/2018 12:36:38:

My main car is currently just shy of 206,000 miles! Doesn't burn any oil, driven gently it can manage 40 mpg (though 35 is more usual), can blow off a Porsche Boxster and any BMW short of an M series and carry five people in comfort - though not all at the same time ! wink

Old cars! Don't ya love them! laugh

--

Pete

What car is it Pete - I'm intrigued!

Cheers,

Tim.

Thread: Defibrillators
14/03/2018 18:22:42

My club purchased one in the last few months. Thankfully we've not had to use it yet!

Tim.

Thread: Ripmax EasyStreet 2
16/02/2018 09:10:19

Thanks Percy, yes, I'd thought about a folding prop. Julian, I think I must just be unlucky, as I land on a mown airstrip and have braking disabled on the ES2's speed controller. The first prop break was, I must admit, on a slightly harder than usual landing. The second though (yesterday) was a perfectly good, fairly slow (as it was quite breezy) landing.

I've put a new prop on so I'll give it one more shot and see what happens! I'm using APC props by the way and they do seem quite brittle.

Tim.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
CML
Revoc
Motion RC
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us