By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tim Kearsley

Here is a list of all the postings Tim Kearsley has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Can I have two Life batteries powering my Futaba receiver?
23/09/2018 12:49:54

I think it might be slightly better to run two batteries into two separate ports on the Rx, rather than into a "Y" lead and then into the Rx, as it gives some redundancy against the connection becoming faulty. It's all about trying to avoid single points of failure after all. I've run two LiFe batteries on a Hangar 9 Spitfire (the 30cc one) for a year or so with no issues at all. I don't use diodes at the moment, but I might change that, as, on reflection, it does offer some protection against a battery failing and pulling down the other one. But then every component you put in circuit is another point of failure. I also avoid switches for the same reason, simply plugging the Rx batteries into a short extension from the Rx. If I do use a switch I use an electronic one - I simply don't trust mechanical switches!

Tim.

Thread: "The Chase" quiz show
04/09/2018 18:43:35
Posted by Rich too on 04/09/2018 18:25:56:

Well done Tim, we’re regular viewers of the show. Bradley is a great host.

He is indeed, and a very nice bloke too.

Tim.

03/09/2018 19:52:25

Thanks chaps, for the kind comments.

It was a bit strange watching it, as there were whole bits of it I'd not taken in on the day.

We didn't buy a campervan in the end, as we hired one first and found we weren't that keen! So the money helped me buy a new car!

Tim.

03/09/2018 16:05:10

Yes, sorry, forgot to add that it's ITV, 5 pm. I wasn't nervous at all to start with, but by the time the production assistants had finished with us I was a quivering wreck! Still, it was an interesting day. Bradley seemed quite interested in RC aircraft!

Tim.

03/09/2018 12:43:11

Just thought, if you're a regular viewer of The Chase, you'd like to know that tonight's episode (Monday, 3rd September) has a model aircraft enthusiast as a contestant - namely me! We filmed the show back in July last year. I won't spoil it by telling you if we win or not. I'll just say that it's a cracking episode.

Tim.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
11/06/2018 16:11:34
Posted by Andy Meade on 11/06/2018 14:12:07:

I did see on their forum that someone suggested the 400ft rule should apply to anything powered - I quite like that one, but I know not of what the BMFA's plans are for us.

I don't follow the logic of that point of view though. Presumably the issues of model aircraft flying at altitudes greater than 400 ft are concerned with safety and the possibility of collision with another airspace user? If so, then how does a 4m span glider pose any less threat than a 2m span powered model? Sounds like the glider fraternity wanting to be looked on as a special case!

Tim.

Thread: Servo extension leads
04/06/2018 16:10:47

I did a little "how-to" article on making your own servo extensions in the mag a while ago. Once you've got the crimp tool and a little practice behind you it really is very simple. The big advantage is you make custom extensions to suit YOU, instead of making do with what's available.

Tim.

Thread: Tyre wear
31/03/2018 18:47:58
Posted by Peter Christy on 15/03/2018 12:36:38:

My main car is currently just shy of 206,000 miles! Doesn't burn any oil, driven gently it can manage 40 mpg (though 35 is more usual), can blow off a Porsche Boxster and any BMW short of an M series and carry five people in comfort - though not all at the same time ! wink

Old cars! Don't ya love them! laugh

--

Pete

What car is it Pete - I'm intrigued!

Cheers,

Tim.

Thread: Defibrillators
14/03/2018 18:22:42

My club purchased one in the last few months. Thankfully we've not had to use it yet!

Tim.

Thread: Ripmax EasyStreet 2
16/02/2018 09:10:19

Thanks Percy, yes, I'd thought about a folding prop. Julian, I think I must just be unlucky, as I land on a mown airstrip and have braking disabled on the ES2's speed controller. The first prop break was, I must admit, on a slightly harder than usual landing. The second though (yesterday) was a perfectly good, fairly slow (as it was quite breezy) landing.

I've put a new prop on so I'll give it one more shot and see what happens! I'm using APC props by the way and they do seem quite brittle.

Tim.

15/02/2018 16:52:23

Has anyone flying the ES2 (without landing gear) has a problem with the prop breaking? My first three flights were absolutely fine. The last two landings have broken the prop. I don't use braking on the ESC and the throttle is idle by the time the plane lands.

Tim.

Thread: Re: Death of IC
02/02/2018 19:50:01
Posted by Peter Miller on 31/01/2018 14:59:32:

Oh Dear God....Here we go again.

Well said Mr. Miller! These "electric vs IC" threads are tedious in the extreme. You might as well start comparing religions as you'll find the same entrenched ideas and unshakeable beliefs spouted with the same fervour. I prefer the motto "live and let live"!

Tim.

Thread: E-Flite Convergence anyone?
28/01/2018 09:12:03

Thanks for that Jason. I totally agree with your comments and my use of trim while in acro mode was purely to get an idea of how much was required. Back on the ground I was going to reset trim to zero and apply the correction mechanically to the elevons.

I've ploughed through some of the RCGroups thread and there are a few gems of information, particularly around increasing the servo travel on the elevator channel to overcome the Convergence's reluctance to travel backwards in the hover. I also picked up that the LVC programmed into the FC is an issue if your batteries aren't in tip-top shape. As you say though, there is also a lot of "noise" in that thread!

Tim.

27/01/2018 19:15:16

Yes Dave, it is the BNF and I see what you mean about the two aerials - how silly! I'll make the same mod you suggest. Thank you for that.

Tim.

26/01/2018 19:41:37

Thanks for the reply Denis. I must admit I hadn't considered that. However, I removed the bottom cover from the fuselage and checked and the flight controller is rock solid, screwed down to a ply plate firmly fixed in the fuz body.

Well worth checking though.

Cheers,

Tim.

26/01/2018 18:23:02

Does anyone on the forum have any experience with E-flite's Convergence? I bought one this week and took it up for its first flight today.

It hovers OK and the transition to normal, fixed-wing flight is also drama-free. In "safe" mode normal flight is fine, but..... boring! So, I soon put it into so-called "Acro" mode, where self-leveling is turned off. Here, there was a gentle roll to the right. So I put in some left aileron trim. But, strangely, it seemed to have no effect. I added more, again without much effect. I added yet more and the model suddenly started to climb steeply! I quickly put it back into safe mode and regained control and landed.

I'm puzzled now as to what's going on. On the bench, the elevon movement seems normal.

I should add that there was little or no wind when I was flying.

Any theories anyone?

Tim.

Thread: Ripmax EasyStreet 2
14/01/2018 18:23:05

Nice one Ron!

I have to agree with you on a couple of points - I too found the low rates mentioned in the manual quite exciting enough for me! Secondly, I aborted a flight on Thursday as I just kept "losing" the model against a featureless, dull grey sky. I can't wait for the next good flying day to get it up there again! Lovely model.

Tim.

10/01/2018 21:10:05

Thanks for making me buy it David!!

Cheers,

Tim.

10/01/2018 15:06:24

Well I saw a gap in the clouds this afternoon, so took the ES2 up to the field and gave it its first flight. No dramas - it needed a bit of right aileron trim and a little up elevator. Once that was dialled in it flew absolutely beautifully. On 4S there's bags of power of course and it will go vertical as long as you like. I'll have to add some tape reinforcement to the bottom of the fuse though as I'm not planning to add any U/C. Anyway, I flew three batteries and had great fun! Now I've just got to clean the mud off it....

Tim.

10/01/2018 12:36:24

That's a very ingenious and neat workaround Ron!

Tim.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us