By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for i12fly

Here is a list of all the postings i12fly has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Think I've been spammed!
17/07/2019 22:20:51

Another scam to watch is where the customer pays paypal then collects the item. The customer thenclaims they haven't received the item so paypal refunds them and deducts the money from your account. Can you prove that it was collected by the purchaser? Probably not. If an item is to be collected I always say cash on collection, but this is not always observed........

Thread: Building from plans - wing ribs?
15/07/2019 21:10:09

Like Peter Miller, I make a ply template. But I don't add the grip so that I can turn the template over so that I can get the most ribs out of a sheet of balsa. Having made the ply template I then make several 'paper ribs', that way I can lay them on the balsa and work out the best arrangement to get the most ribs from the sheet. 4" wide balsa is the most efficient to reduce wastage.

Oh, and any parts left after rib cutting that are bigger than about 1" x 1/2" are kept in a shoe box for making triangular gussets or strengthening pieces. There isn't much wasted.

Thread: Ripmax ARTF stocks
12/06/2019 21:13:10

After seeing this thread on Monday, I did a count up of HK aircraft models (i.e. not including spare parts etc) stock against what they advertise - it seems a bit concerning to me although I haven't got a benchmark from say a year ago:

UK models listed 96

UK actual in stock 66 (68.8%)

All Global, EU and UK listed 235

All Global, EU and UK in stock 119 (50.6%)

Stocks of micro & Sub-micro aircraft servos is also very poor: -and pricey too.

Thread: TV Licence petition
12/06/2019 18:17:47

I agree with Solly. And I hate having to watch their adverts - for themselves. They may as well have commercial adverts and reduce the licence fee.

It seems that the underlying reason they have stopped subsidising the 3 million over 75's is that they have lost 3+ million people who have cancelled in the last few years, people who 'don't watch live telly'.

Oh, and I'm quite a way off being 75, so it doesn't affect me - perhaps I should keep out of the discussion, but it just seems rather mean.

Thread: Interesting reply from email to Richard Moriarty, CAA
30/05/2019 00:14:43

Today received the same email from 'drone consult at CAA' as Jason Inskip, so have politely replied that I disagree, based on:

-Rogue drone flyers will not bother to register

-Control of U space can only benefit commercial operators, not me, so any costs should be borne by them

As usual with hastily drawn up legislation it is persecution of the innocent.

I'll carry on flying within the law, but I think our club membership will drop by about 20%, maybe more, some are not computer literate, some are now non-flyers but join (along with BMFA) just to keep supporting the club, where will they stand if the club has to declare that all members have passed the on-line test?

Thread: Beth's off.....
29/05/2019 23:31:08

Congratulations Beth

If you are struggling for names there are many famous pioneers that have a strong aviation link:

For a girl there is:

Amy (as in Johnson)

Amelia (Earhart)

Harriet (Quimby) first lady to get a pilot's licence and first lady to fly solo across the English Channel

Jacqueline (Auriol) French lady who set a number of speed records

For a boy there is:

John (as Alcock) and Arthur Whitten (Brown) -first to fly the Atlantic

James (Jim Mollison) who did many pioneering flights, sometimes with wife Amy J. above

a bit unusual -Wiley (Hardeman Post) first person to fly solo around the world

Frank (Whittle)

Louis (Bleriot)

People always give you 'advice' when bringing up children and I am no different - my advice is ignore everyone's advice and decide for yourself with love, love your child always and your child will love you.

Best wishes for now and the future

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
24/05/2019 21:10:43

Hi Tony, do you have a feel for what caused the blade shedding?

Could it be slight distortion of the outer casing? The fan I've got can certainly catch even holding it in the hand, it doesn't take much pressure at all.

Or do we need to keep the revs down?

08/05/2019 23:00:57

Hi Tony

I'm really keen to build the Provost, I've got the fan ready and balsa a-plenty, can we buy the plan from you...…?

If not maybe the Hunter?

i12fly

Thread: CAA registration consulation
05/05/2019 22:54:54

Done survey , wrote to MP asking her to take up with DfT and Aviation Minister, emailed all clubmates asking to do similar....

Thread: Why can't I buy from Banggood?
20/04/2019 23:20:58

Managed to sort it eventually, had to use different browser as Ben suggested. This allowed me to register. Tried to order and went through to the final step but when pressing on 'place order' it wouldn't. However by wiping out the home address and retyping it in, it all worked OK and order is now placed.

Thank you to all who advised.

19/04/2019 22:28:54

I tried to register/join with Banggood but it would not let me, it said I had not agreed the terms & conditions and the privacy policy, even though I'd read and agreed them (several times)

So I tried ordering and it got right up to the 'order now' button, having gone through paypal etc. But on pressing order it then said I hadn't saved the address - but I had, and tried that several times too.

I guess I'm doing something wrong, so any advice is welcomed.

I also tried the 'help', but it would not let me in because I'm not registered.

dont know

Thread: Avios 1450mm Spitfire MkV
15/04/2019 12:25:09

On Easter offer this morning at £227.08 from HK EU warehouse for those interested. I think free carriage too.

Bit outside my budget......

Thread: How do you buy your Balsa?
15/04/2019 11:52:07

With model shops a long trek from home I like to stock up on about £50 of balsa at a show each year so that when I decide what I want to build nothing stops me. I reckon I've got about £200 worth of uncut balsa in stock at the moment, all weighed and graded too! Stock of fittings is also quite healthy. I'm a slow builder.

Thread: Please answer the following two questions if you can.
15/04/2019 11:28:26

I like to build not don't like to finish, so I have to work to the discipline of finish it before starting new. It slows my build rate but then again it is probably a good thing as lack of space means it has to be one in/ one out, with only space for 7 models max.

It means I have to curb my urges to build. When I'm about 3/4 through a build I feel really enthusiastic about building something new, something different and do some research, sometimes buying parts like plans, motors and esc and feeling frustrated I cannot start - but strangely when I've finished the ongoing project I find I've lost interest in the new one and not sure what to build next.

I appreciate this is no help to you David, although I would certainly ditch the extensive repair lobs after salvaging as much as possible for new projects.

I thought that writing this would help me understand why I'm a 'frustrated builder'. But it hasn't.

Thread: Prostate Cancer
07/04/2019 22:59:38

I've had a scan and a couple of camera scope tests (slight discomfort but no pain) and was given the all clear, although I still have to get up in the night frown.

The only thing I would say is that when you go for the DRE, if you can, pick your doctor with long thin fingers and short nails, I did, she was very careful and I didn't feel a thing blush

Thread: What's your rate limiting step?
22/03/2019 22:59:37

Sanding -for the same reasons as Andy C. Also my varifocals don't allow the really close up view needed to get a good finish. However I will not start a new project until the previous one is finished - so it leaves noticeable gaps in model building (can be 6 months.....)

Thread: Solarfilm
07/03/2019 21:49:20

I use 'Fast-tack' instead of Balsaloc, the one with the gold writing. Just as good in my view, and available from any haberdashery/ dressmakers shop.

Can be a bit thick for some applications so you can thin it with water and still works well. Better than Balsaloc in my view. It is a heat activated glue for gluing seams on garments and works well on Solartex and Solarfilm Polyester with balsa and plywood, and I'd guess the other films we use.

It's low cost and lasts for ages as the small nozzle/cap doesn't let it dry out.

Thread: Seagull Models - Arising Star Refit
21/02/2019 22:30:18

It's a nice easy flier, a good first trainer. Mine flew well on an SC 40 two stroke. Only problem I had was that the piano wire main u/c legs were rather soft and easily bent on anything but greaser landing, resulting in the tail dipping and inducing a bounce. The 'sit' of the plane on the ground should be with the nose just slightly low so that when it touches down it stays there. Beefing up the u/c would help, but I never got round to it.

Nicely aerobatic, but neither I nor my instructor could get it to spin, only spiral down -making it nice and safe for a trainer

Thread: Ebay sellers...
10/01/2019 01:02:39

As we know, sometimes dealers put the price up to silly figures to put people off while they re-stock -so they don't have to cancel and relist (which I believe costs them).

However there's something fishy here, all the prices of the items I've looked at (about 20 of the 227K listed) seem to be about x10 times too expensive, perhaps a conversion error as the bits come from USA even though the seller is in UK..

So I looked at the first 5 feedbacks listed, they were all satisfied customers, although 1 had asked for and got a refund, but viewing the original listings for the items they all said "The listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available". How can that happen?

Thread: Best practice
01/01/2019 11:27:08

I like Tee nuts fitted from the back but with the spikes flattened -that way you've got a good flat area acting as a washer, cannot pull through the ply, it doesn't weaken the firewall, hold in place with a bit of epoxy. If the fuselage is narrow you can grind some off the flange.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us