By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for i12fly

Here is a list of all the postings i12fly has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flair Puppeteer Help Please
20/09/2020 22:33:50

I had mine set as per plan position but it was balanced level, not pointing down. It was uncontrollable in this position but I managed to get it down luckily. I cannot understand why anyone would say balance it 'with it pointing down' -how much down....!!!?

I had an SC70 FS in mine (it was not overpowered because I used the throttle sensitively), but had to add 8oz of lead into the cowl for it to fly well. Cannot remember the CoG position but David Davis' suggestion sounds good.

Another Flair with stated CoG position issue was the Bristol Fighter, quite a few only flew once.

As they say, a nose heavy plane doesn't fly very well but a tail heavy plane flies once

Thread: Ballerina by EarlyBird
18/09/2020 21:44:26

Super finish, looks great!

If your CoG is in the right place it will fly superbly (like mine!)

Thread: How do you clean your glow engined models after flying?
17/09/2020 18:31:27

Kitchen non-ionic surfactant spray or Furniture polish. Only a light spray required. The cheapest is as good as any.

The former if really gooey but the latter gives a nice finish on glossy film.

Thread: Price of Kits
09/09/2020 21:18:41

Well put Kevin, good luck with the project, keep us posted

Thread: redundant at 62!
05/09/2020 21:49:00

Sorry to here about your redundancy. Similar happened to me, job given to someone in Europe, it was much cheaper to make English redundant than a person in Europe.

Keep your spirits up, something will appear when you keep trying, remember it isn't your fault, it is their loss as they'll have to sort all the teething problems out with the new contractor. Finding a job is like a job in itself.

A plan build in balsa is very therapeutic, I can vouch for that.

Thread: What's flying over your house
04/09/2020 23:15:58

For plane spotting I use Flightradar24 for civil and military Hawks around Anglesey, and Freedar.uk for military (and civil). Both free.

For some reason the Freedar does not show the Hawk T1s around Anglesey, don't know why.

Kevin, you might be getting attacked by Harvest Mites rather than midges. They are nasty little biters that you only notice a few hours after being bitten and itch like crazy for 2 or 3 days with a raised lump about 10mm across. The mites are about 1mm across live in the lawn and bite humans and animals late July through to mid September. We managed to catch one and our vet confirmed the id. They are arachnids so flea treatments don't work, our cat has to have steroid injections to help stop the itching, unfortunately the vet wont give me the injection too, so I avoid the lawn and have a gardener to mow -who either has skin like leather or the mites just don't like him. Apparently they don't suck blood but inject digestive juices then suck up the liquidised flesh. Vile. There is no licensed treatment in UK/EU but is is the US....

Thread: Sticky casing on Watt meter
23/08/2020 17:11:29

Happened to an electric drill I had, dusted it with talcum powder and it didn't feel sticky any more

Thread: WD40
08/08/2020 22:02:04

I thought that WD 40 was originally developed for the UK's Blue Streak missiles.

WD of course standing for 'War Department', as stamped on any old army surplus items you may have.

I remember my father ordering some underpants by post in the late '60s, when they arrived they were stamped 'WD 1943'. He didn't seem very impressed but it gave us all a laugh.

Thread: FCC proposes $2.8m fine against Hobbyking for marketing non-compliant drone transmitters
03/08/2020 22:38:48

+1 as a satisfied HK customer. Have only bought items in stock, with decent reviews, and (touch wood) had good quality.

But I don't run planes for hundreds of hours so maybe high quality is not so important, as by the time I get to 20+ hrs the model is replaced by something new. I also fly different models on different times so it takes a while to get to 20+

Sorry if it offends but are any of the people named by Richard Clark 2 still alive? We've now got new 'heroes'- PM, TN to name a couple, and 'the lords of scale' as Alex Whittaker describes them. Many of the manufacturers mentioned disappeared before HK appeared. They were quality in their time, but life moves on and if you keep up (like say Laser) you will survive.

Thread: Best modern fillers.
21/07/2020 22:18:39

DeLux products lightweight filler for me but to help the adhesion I coat the wood with a thin coat of Fast Tac from the habardashery shop and let it dry before applying the filler (now that Balsaloc is gone)

Thread: Hobbyking Film
12/05/2020 22:15:01

Plus 1 for BG film, but I like HK best!

Edited By i12fly on 12/05/2020 22:18:53

Thread: The big question, WHEN
12/05/2020 15:40:42

I don't care what anybody says, too much mud being thrown, lots of biased half truths. We're all grown up, should respect other people's views even if they are wrongcheeky and decide for ourselves. My decision is I'm staying on lockdown (as much as that is possible) until the mud clears and see how big the next wave is. I might get it, I might not, I might have had it but don't know. But it is my decision.

Thread: Flair Pupppeteer
11/05/2020 15:25:53

Just a bit more info, mine was balanced level just a few mm in front of the CoG indicated on the plan. It was unflyable. After adding 8 oz of lead in the cowl it is OK (Engine is SC70FS). It also needs down trim on the elevator (about 2mm) to fly level. Don't know why, it suggests that the wing incidence is wrong -although it is built precisely as plan. Flies nicely now though.

Thread: The big question, WHEN
10/05/2020 23:46:25

I agree with Erf & Stu. Whatever Government says will be criticised. The virus is killing people, a 2nd wave would be catastrophic. You can't see it but it is still there and if you get it bad, treatment is only to give you oxygen and hope your body fights it. But if your body fights it too well then you get an immunity overreaction which then attacks your major organs which gradually fail. There is then no way back and you slowly die. I've seen this with m-in-law a few years ago. If you catch the virus, it isn't just you that is put at risk but your loved ones too. Stay as safe as you can, there's no cheery news just yet.

07/05/2020 23:31:00

A big question is now -what is the strategy, herd immunity or reduction of the virus to zero?

If it is herd immunity, the original thought, then lots more people need to get it, so release from lockdown enough to keep the levels up but within the NHS capacity, will be the strategy. Cynical but possible.

I hope the reduction to zero is now the focus, if that is possible. Boris, having experienced it first hand, appears to favour this -we'll see on Sunday.

Personally as I see it, the virus is still out there and with limited effective treatment, so for me as a vulnerable person social isolation/lockdown will continue.

For the courageous NHS staff it is like a war zone, the stress must be immense. But they are not trained like armed forces and wouldn't expect an extreme situation like this when they 'signed up'. They deserve all our support (and a medal)

06/05/2020 16:54:16

I wonder what this pilot of a Cessna is on.....

Does he know where he's going?

capture.jpg

Edited By i12fly on 06/05/2020 16:55:32

06/05/2020 16:16:18

Lockdown, what lockdown?

Look on Flightradar and see how many "private owners" are flying, along with private jets and twins....

German and the US skies are full of aircraft of all types.

Thread: New boiler installation
05/05/2020 23:02:31

The cleanser should have been removed after a few days running. After a few months the risk is that the debris can deposit out again, usually in the boiler heat exchanger due to decreasing solubility of the oxide with increased temperature. However if your boiler is quiet in operation then you have got away with it. If it sings/kettles when heating up it will need to be repeated properly. I was involved in an exercise with both Sentinel and Fernox Chief Chemists some years ago which demonstrated this.

Thread: The Norwegian Gnat Squad
01/05/2020 16:01:16

Good luck with the turtledeck bending, I soaked with water which didn't come anywhere near so I finished up planking it. Looks OK though. I've covering at the moment and have left the fin off while turning the model over and round etc. I'll fit it before covering the rear top area.

Your model is looking very nice

Thread: Paint or cover
25/04/2020 19:37:33

For a funfly I wouldn't consider anything other than film -anything else is too much faffing about! And it will be good practice for the future. Film is expensive or cheap, depending on what type and where you get it.

Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!