By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Acland

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Acland has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flat Car Battery from non-use of car
01/04/2020 19:10:39

If at all possible take the car for a run. Leaving it idle for the three months or more that we are going to be isolated will do it no good. The tyres will flat spot if it sits it the same place for an extended period. I make a point of going for a run at least once a week and getting the engine up to full temperature. If anyone wants to know what you are doing you are going for essential supplies.

Thread: NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
30/03/2020 10:36:23

Ideal opportunity for building. Just started on a Stolp Starlet plan that I have had for some time. I spend the mornings doing jobs around the house and garden that I have been meaning to do for some time. Then after lunch get on to the workbench for some building. Supplies are no problem as mail order is available from most shops. Hopefully this routine will help the next three nonths fly by.

Thread: What Traders are still offering Mail Order? Services?
30/03/2020 10:27:37

My order from Balsa cabin arrives today, when I spoke to them last week they said they were very busy with mailorder. Looks like a lot of people are building. Also ordered items from Nexus model supplies which came very quickly.

Thread: LiPo storage
26/03/2020 18:51:40
Posted by Jeffrey Cottrell 2 on 26/03/2020 10:28:46:

Hi Guys

Saw a video on YT recommending that, during this period of enforced abstinence, LiPo's should be stored at storage charge (3.8v/cell).
Lots of good reasons for doing this, but I have an issue.
One of my LiPo's has been on my discharger for some 6 hours now and is still showing over 4v/cell.
Last count I had some 14 packs needing to be stored. At that rate, by the time I have them all at storage it will be time to get back to flying.
So, what's the general thinking ? Worth doing?

Cheers

Jeff

I bought a gizmo from Powerbox called Battlife guard. when connected to your Lipo it discharges to storage voltage. they have two types . One for 3s and one for 2s

Thread: Shops closing
25/03/2020 20:00:00

Ordered balsa plus bits from Balsa cabin on Monday. They said it might take a while as they were so busy.Also ordered bits from Nexus which arrived today. The shop may be shut but online business is thriving

Edited By Richard Acland on 25/03/2020 20:00:40

Edited By Richard Acland on 25/03/2020 20:01:36

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
24/03/2020 13:22:08

Decided that as I am self isolating because of my age this would be an ideal opportunity between all the other jobs to do a bit of building. I have had a plan for a Stolp Starlet that I have been wanting to do for some time. I ordered a load of balsa and other stuff from The Balsa Cabin online and rang to pay for it this morning. They said things have gone manic order wise. It would appear a lot of us have taken this as a building opportunity.

Its an ill wind that blows no one any good.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
22/03/2020 19:42:31

I did not smoke until I joined the Army at 19. Every time we had time out the instructor would say " right smoke break" and everyone apart from me would light up. Not wishing to be the odd one out I started to " light up".This was not helped by being posted to BAOR where 200 smokes cost next to nothing in the mess. Tried several times to quit. eventually managed to stop about 25 years ago. The strange thing is every now and then I still fancy a ciggy. Any one remember being a member of RAF Wildenrath or RAFGutersloh model clubs in the mid 1970's I see that the old RAF Wildenrath is now a test track for the Bundesbahn.   Sorry for going off track on this thread.

Edited By Richard Acland on 22/03/2020 19:46:02

Edited By Richard Acland on 22/03/2020 19:47:06

Thread: Any ideas what it is?
20/03/2020 19:31:41

Yes an MP Jet. Lovely engine. I fitted one to a Vic Smeed Ballerina. Having a clear out I sold It at a Nationals Swap Meet. Regret it to this day as I dont think they are made anymorep1000480.jpg

Thread: Has Your Club Made Any Decisions Regarding The Coronavirus?
19/03/2020 14:55:18

I think we need to use comon sense. The older you are the less effective is your immune system. At 73 I am self isolating. No shops, pubs, social gathering. Food deliveries and most things I need can be bought online. There is nothing to stop me getting in my car and going for a drive as long as I have no contact with another person. As far as flying is concerned untill our field dries out nobody will be using it anyway.

18/03/2020 23:49:46

When the ducks and swans move from our field maybe we will make a decision on if we fly or not.

Thread: Aviation Funnies
18/03/2020 12:07:41
Posted by Vinegar Dave on 10/01/2015 15:03:52:

Again apologies if you have heard this one but WW1 pilots were told on take off that if their engine was to fail 'Don't Turn back'. If you bank to the left you will burn and if you bank to the right you will crash so go straight on and you might crash or burn but you have a chance!

Average life consistancy of a pilot was 12 days to be shot down and a 1 in 3 in that is excluding a chance of being killed in take off or landing...

and they wanted to get out of the trenches?

More pilots were killed in training in WW1 than were actually killed in action.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
17/03/2020 12:45:52

I think there are two ways of looking at this enforced isolation. My wife myself and the cat will be spending a lot of time together in the next few months. I could be really depressed at the prospect of not being to go to the pub meeting friends etc. On the other hand I could look on it as an opportunity to get on with all the odd jobs house and garden wise. I also have a new plan, a pile of balsa and ply which I want to get started on. I also have a well stocked beer and gin fridge in my garage. So all in all I am trying to look on the bright side.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
10/03/2020 14:39:52

Tiger Woods wanders into a bar. He sees Stevie wonder sitting at a table and sits down with him. Hi Steve Tiger woods here, hows it going. Fine says Steve working on some new music, how about you. Good says Tiger working on my putting which needs to improve. Same here says Stevie my putting is not that good. You play golf says Tiger. Yes says Stevie, played for years. If you dont mind me asking says Tiger dont you fnd being blind a bit of a problem.Not really says Stevie I have friend who stands on the fairway and whistles. With my hearing I can drop the ball at his feet. What about putting says Tiger, same thing says Stevie he stands with his feet either side of the cup and whistles. Well says Tiger we must have a game sometime. Yes says Stevie but I must warn you I like a heavy side bet, nothing less than $10,000. Great says Tiger smiling to himself. You name a time and place. I dont mind says Stevie any night next week will do.

Thread: 2020 Six Nations Rugby Union.
07/03/2020 10:31:23

Looking forward to the game. I live on the English Welsh border so I will be giong across to my local in Wales to watch the game. Always a great time with supporters of both teams.

Thread: Probable scam?
05/03/2020 23:17:11

I had a phone call recently from someone who could hardly prononce my name telling me that there was a problem with windows which needed sorting out. I then explained that there was nothing wrong with my windows as the window cleaner had been yesterday and I could see outside quite clearly. There was a long silence and then the line went dead.

Thread: I learned from that.
04/03/2020 10:34:46

One rule that I frequently ignore and only remember it afterwards is "measure three times, cut once" not the other way round.

Edited By Richard Acland on 04/03/2020 10:36:16

04/03/2020 10:27:13

Funny this topic should come up now. I had been checking some of my models over yesterday in anticipation of some better weather in the near future (ever the optomist). On checking the controls on my old hack I noticed that the ailerons were reversed. I dont recall touching this model since last year, so at some point I must have reversed them whilst fiddling with the transmitter. Now been through every model checking throws failsafes etc.I know that I would have checked it before flying but with modern trannys it shows how easy it is to slip up.

Thread: Flair Puppeteer
29/02/2020 22:49:00

005.jpgI dont think you need to overpower this model if you want it to fly at a scale speed. I remember the original instructions by Dudley Pattison when I built mine using an OS 48 fs. They said get the Cof G right even if you have to put the Church roof in the nose. If you build the rear end nice and light you dont need that much extra weight in the nose. As said previously a .60 would be at the top end power wise.

Thread: Precedent Stampe 1/4 Scale
26/02/2020 22:36:45

As mentioned before by myself and a few others a lot of down elevator is required to get the Stampe to fly level, despite building in the right amount of tailplane incidence. For some reason I also have to hold on full right rudder on the take off run to track straight, once airborne however she flies straight without any rudder input.

Richard

Thread: SC 70 fs
26/02/2020 19:11:13

Today I fitted a new cylinder head complete with valves and valve springs. Also fitted a new piston ring. This engine is now transformed with loads of compression like my other two SC 70 FS engines.and runs like it should. One thing I noticed was that the vavlve springs on the old head seemed very weak compared to the springs on the new head Idont know if that would have had an effect on performance or not. Anyway I am now a happy bunny.

Richard

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us