By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mel Jones

Here is a list of all the postings Mel Jones has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Local club attendance
01/07/2019 15:41:49

Well it seems that our club is not alone when it comes to poor turnout, I am not sure whether to be happy about that.

01/07/2019 09:28:47

I am the membership secretary for a small club in Solihull, we have 37 club members, the clubs facilities are modest being a mown area in the centre of a field we rent from the farmer. The club gets positive comments on the friendly atmosphere from visitors.

So I ask why is it that the attendance on the club meeting days is so poor with only 5 or 6 members turning up to fly?

Do other clubs have a similar experience?

Thread: Paragliders
13/01/2019 11:46:37

I am thinking of having a go at flying an rc paraglider, and am looking at the Opale range of models. Has anyone ever flown any of their kit?, or can offer advice before I part with my money?

Thread: BMFA Website down...?
26/09/2018 19:42:38

I haven't been able to access BMFA web site for a few days now, I get unsafe TLS security message when I try.

I am BT internet user.

Thread: Sea Gull Model Plans?
19/06/2018 10:35:38

I thought it a good idea to build a slope soaring model in the shape of a sea gull, does anyone know where I can obtain a suitable plan?

Thread: Horus X10S model files lost?
19/05/2018 08:18:14

Update: It would seem that my problem with lost model files was a faulty SD card, new one fitted and software loaded, been 3 weeks now no more problems.

11/04/2018 08:38:14

I have an odd problem, I am losing model files from the X10S sd card.

Files in memory slot 1 to 10 are OK, but slot 11 is sometimes erased during the boot up of the transmitter, I can reload it from back up using Open TX Companion and all will be fine for a day or two then it is lost again. During the last transmitter boot up I found that file 11 had been copied 3 times into slot 12 to 14 and slot 11 once again erased?

All the copied files work with the model in question without the need for rebinding which I find a little strange.

Can anyone help?

Thread: Hobbyking Durafly Tomahawk
29/03/2018 16:52:15

OK problem solved, there is a file download tab on the product page of Hobbyking website, and clicking on this tab allows you to download the instruction sheet in pdf format.

I didn't spot until today, feel a bit of a prat now.

27/03/2018 08:34:58

Thanks for the feedback, I have sent inquiry to Durafly but I won`t hold my breath.

Will use calculator and see how it goes,

26/03/2018 14:30:11

Just brought a Tomahawk FPV wing from Hobbyking, no instructions seem to be available.

Can anyone tell me where the C of G point is on this model?

Thread: Frsky Horus timers voice
24/12/2017 14:44:39

I have a new Frsky X10S transmitter, using the Frsky OS. I cannot get the timer speech to work, I have set the timer setting correctly and selected the speech function but no speech is output?, I am expecting a call counting up the flight time in minutes. I have installed some wav files using "SOUNDS/en/TRACK" location which are working correctly. Why can`t I get it to call out the timer value?

Thread: Using DSM2 module with Frsky OS
08/12/2017 11:30:44

I am planning to fit a DSM2 module to my Frsky X10, I know this will work using Open TX software, but I am using the Frsky Operating software, will it work?

Can anyone recommend a suitable module?

Thread: Using a bungee
05/12/2017 14:06:22

Thank you all for your input.

I think my problem is with the tow hook not being far enough forward of the c of g, I have dug out the plan and measured where it should be, and found that my model was a little nose heavy. I will correct this and try again.

Steve, you have a great blog site, I must make the effort and come visit your neck of the woods for some sloping.

Thanks again.

04/12/2017 08:39:12

I have a Sonata glider which I have flown from the slope, but I have a problem when flying from our flat field site using a bungee.

I cannot get a successful launch, the model is "pinging" off the line very early.

I have tried adding a little down elevator during the launch and this helps a little.

The c of g is set correctly, and the tow hook is 10mm in front of this point.

Can anyone suggest what it is I am doing wrong?

Thread: Using JR DSX9 and SAFE Technology
07/08/2017 09:51:36

I am considering purchasing a new model that comes fitted with an E-Flite SAFE technology receiver, DSMX / DSM2, AS3X stabilization.

I own a JR Pro DSX9 transmitter which uses DSM2, can anyone advise me on if this transmitter will work with the above receiver type?, and if so how it should be set up?

Edited By Mel Jones on 07/08/2017 09:52:19

Thread: Burrough Hill, Leicestershire
26/04/2017 08:29:56

I am watching this post with interest, Tony has asked a good question, would like to see an answer to it.

Thread: Travelling boxes and wing bags
13/03/2017 08:31:53

I have just made two sets of wing bags, just as Colin has described. Try not to make them too small, the first set I made were just that the wings fitted in OK but dam fiddly getting them out again.

Thread: Staufenbiel
12/03/2017 11:30:48

Final Update (I hope).

Yesterday my PayPal refund arrived, so my account is now clear and I can stop worrying about it.

How long do you think it will be before Staufenbiel get their act together?, it`s a shame,  in my eye`s they have let themselves down. I have used them in the past with no trouble what so ever.

On a more positive note: All`s well that ends well.

Edited By Mel Jones on 12/03/2017 11:31:55

10/03/2017 11:48:35

Update 3.

Yesterday I received an email from Staufenbiel!!!!!, it said that they had changed logistics and could not tell me when my order would be dispatched.

This was followed an hour or so later by an email from PayPal which explained that Staufenbiel had agreed to credit back my payment, however this could take up to 30 days.

So again I must wait to see what happens.

04/03/2017 15:52:12

I have now decided to take John Roberts advice, and have asked PayPal to make a claim for refund.

Just not getting anywhere with Staufenbiel.

So lets see what happens now, I`ll try and keep you informed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us