By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gregg Veasey

Here is a list of all the postings Gregg Veasey has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wings and Wheels 2019
01/07/2019 16:53:19

I thought last year was a big improvement on previous years and I think its gone in the right direction again with the various additions.

The flightline guys were very relaxed and did a great job in very trying conditions as very few pilots were available to, or wanted to fly because of the wind especially on Sunday. We (TJD team) flew most of what we took on Saturday but on Sunday elected to leave many on the ground. I personally had 2 models there but would no way fly one of them in that cross wind as my models take me on average 3 years each to build. I neither have the funds or the time to get them done any quicker so don't want to risk damaging one in heavy cross wind especially on tarmac. My 20 year old Meister P47 though is a different matter and people were probably bored of the sight of it in the air by Sunday afternoon. Hopefully the fact that my 14 year old took to the sticks a couple of times made it more acceptable..

The Weston Park v Wings'n'wheels debate is probably always going to be there but it does pose the question. IF the crowd only want to see models flown that they can purchase/build themselves then why is Weston Park said to be better than WnW.

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 01/07/2019 17:01:54

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 01/07/2019 17:04:30

Thread: TJD Models - a lacklustre performance
17/10/2017 09:21:30
Posted by Rich too on 17/10/2017 05:58:54:
Posted by Gregg Veasey on 16/10/2017 21:56:33:
Posted by Rich too on 16/10/2017 21:32:48:

Actually, they posted in May 2013 and said they’d try and be more active. They had three posts then.....they still have three posts now...

They use me to let them know when they need to look at something on a forum but in recent years I have been bored with forums so left them alone. I've only started looking again when I was told of this thread. I looked, informed John and he seems to be addressing it.

That about sums it up.

I don't work in TJD, its just that I used to be on forums a lot so John left it to me to keep them up to speed.  I no longer have the time or the want to sit on forums anymore so will only use them if I'm after something specific, have been contacted directly through one of them or if theres something that I think needs to be brought to someone else's attention (whether positive or negative) as was the case with this one. 

Cheers

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 17/10/2017 10:00:33

16/10/2017 21:56:33
Posted by Rich too on 16/10/2017 21:32:48:

Actually, they posted in May 2013 and said they’d try and be more active. They had three posts then.....they still have three posts now...

They use me to let them know when they need to look at something on a forum but in recent years I have been bored with forums so left them alone. I've only started looking again when I was told of this thread. I looked, informed John and he seems to be addressing it.

Thread: Southern Model Air Show at headcorn
10/09/2017 20:41:05

Great vid Dom capturing a pilot deliberately losing a model for everyone else's enjoyment. 

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 10/09/2017 20:42:29

Thread: Southern Model Show 2016
08/09/2016 23:18:28

The fact that TJD are so local is the reason they are not trading. Its many of their normal customers that they see at the show. And with it costing them 100's of pounds to take the shop to the show the return doesn't any where near cover the spend unfortunately.

Thread: 67" ZERO- 2016 RCM&E Autumn Special
26/07/2016 23:37:08

One of the exhausts was missing on mine at Cosford. Its meant to have 4 one side and 3 the other. I have a couple of pics I could sent you.

I'll need to check how much down elevator is used with flaps but its only a few mm

21/07/2016 17:01:28

Looks great Tony. May well be different on that but the Meister Zero's pitch up when flaps are applied so need a small amount of down elevator mixed in.

Thread: Wings 'n' Wheels
27/06/2016 22:39:10

I'll speak on behalf of the TJD display team:

When the boys opened the TJD shop 12 years ago we were already all friends, all part of the same club and all warbird lovers. That meant it was a natural progression from the shop attending the shows, to us all forming a team. It also made sense to tie in the team with the shop so we called us the TJD display team. We then had to explain that we were not a trade team as the planes we fly were not available from the shop. We were and still are a group of warbird loving friends that either own, work in or simply help out with the shop at shows and our models are all built, painted and funded by the individuals, nothing is funded by the shop at all.

That aside I underside the comments on the fact that there are teams now instead of all individuals but I'd like to think that we cater for the warbird enthusiasts and that the dawn patrol do similar with their home built beautiful WW1 aircraft, so I'm not going to apologise for the fact that we are a team, work as a team and look like a team with matching shirts and jackets. We certainly don't give it the biggun either as we are probably the butt of many jokes being that we are just boring warbird flyers going round and round in circles.....

Anyway, we pride ourselves on our models on the ground as well as in the air and know that some appreciate what we do, so will continue to build warbirds and and fly them as a team.

Not meant as a rant but more of an explanation of us

Cheers

Gregg Veasey

26/06/2016 23:50:24

just to point out that we (TJD team) build all our own models which take between 1 and 2 years per model. we are always building and have a big fleet but we are all precious of our toys as they take sooooo long to produce.

Thread: Blackbushe Model airshow 16 may 2015
17/05/2015 22:41:56

So glad you all in enjoyed the day guys. This show has gone from strength to strength so roll on next year!

Thread: Adjusting control horns, linkages and servo arms
18/09/2014 13:49:23

smile o Ah, sorry, I thought it was.

My 'gate' and 'something heavy' examples were independent examples for the servo arm and control horn to try and explain in simple terms why that general rule should be followed.

Oh well, I tried to help smiley

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 18/09/2014 13:50:12

18/09/2014 13:28:42
Posted by Martin Whybrow on 18/09/2014 12:53:46:

Sorry Greg, you are mistaken; you are forgetting that the long servo arm goes with a long control arm; the torque required by the servo does not vary if the translation of degrees of rotation at the servo to degrees of deflection at the control surface is maintained.

I am highlighting a general rule. I am showing that it is bad practice to use a long servo arm with a short control horn.

18/09/2014 12:48:24

The longer the servo arm the harder it has to work to move the control surface. (pick up something heavy with your out stretched arm, then try again with your arm bent i.e shorter)

At the surface end, the shorter the horn the harder it is to move the surface. (push a gate open from its hinge point then again from the opposite end)

18/09/2014 12:12:34

Yep agreed, thats what I originally said

"You should aim to have the shortest servo arm and the longest surface horn possible." yes

18/09/2014 11:58:30

Just trying to highlight something that MANY MANY don't understand and get wrong. I totally agree with you about using sub trim and end points. I've seen all to often heavy duty servo's fail because of poor geometry and flutter too because the inner hole was used on the control surface.

18/09/2014 11:07:28
Posted by Dave Hopkin on 14/09/2014 20:02:14:

Moving the linkage on the horns will alter the throw distance - Outer Servo, Inner horn gives the max throw

It will give you the most throw but geometry wise its incorrect. You should aim to have the shortest servo arm and the longest surface horn possible.

Thread: Weston Park 2014 chat
16/06/2014 16:11:04

No problem Allan, I just wanted to clear that up as I'm sure you are aware it can damage reputations. Marking up prices for shows may go on but certainly doesn't happen with us, which the website will back up.

I'm glad you are a happy customer though

Cheers

Gregg

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 16:11:36

16/06/2014 15:52:27

TJD were selling the Blade 200 SR X for £180 today, however their website has them at £153 inc delivery! The "Show Price" signs don't have the same meaning as they used to!

Just to clear this one up Allan. I'm afraid you are looking at 2 different products. One is a bind & fly which they didn't have any of on their stand and the other is a ready to go version with everything included, thats where the price difference comes.....

Glad you had a good day overall. I personally thought it was fantastic with so much variety

Gregg

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 15:53:47

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/06/2014 15:54:12

Thread: Southern Model Show 2013
17/09/2013 21:25:01
Posted by David Ashby - RCME on 17/09/2013 10:48:21:

Thanks for the update Gregg, great shame and not knowing is the worst thing.

Yep, exactly!! Can except if a battery dies, or a structure fails, or even if you dumb thumb, but to not know and for it to go the way it did is annoying to say the least.

Oh well these things happen and at least it wasn't the tranny as that was used again after with no probs at all

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 17/09/2013 21:56:51

16/09/2013 22:29:34
crying 2Posted by Stevo on 16/09/2013 12:01:28:

OH!

Missed that one. Been to TJD several times and stood under it. If it's TJD it will be built to the highest standard..

I know they are on here - be good to see if they comment!

Hi all

Yes, we had a very sad loss on Saturday. We all appreciate its going to happen from time to time especially flying multi plane formations which is not an easy thing to do, but its still sad when it happens especially as it was the newest model being flown in that slot...

This was an odd one though and one that we have not solved yet. The model flew faultlessly in the morning and the twin LIFE batteries were still fully charged after the crash.

The model was in and out of control after the initial loss and John wrestled it all the way in but lost it again just before impact causing a total loss. We will be studying video footage soon to see if we can get any clues as to what happened. R.I.P Twilight Tear P51

Cheers

Gregg Veasey (aka the shorts wearing loon who leads the TJD display team!)

Edited By Gregg Veasey on 16/09/2013 22:33:12

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!