By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Gorham_

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Gorham_ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 9CAP Replacement LCD
20/06/2019 13:42:49
Posted by Braddock, VC on 20/06/2019 13:09:43:

Why not go straight to futaba?

Probably because Futaba would have no interest in supporting a radio they stopped making over 10 years ago?

They would surely have wanted to sell all their spares to retailers to maximise their revenue rather than hold on to odd bits for a decade?

20/06/2019 12:46:38

They are the same transmitter. My own transmitter that I fixed is a 9CAP. FF9 is the generic term for any of the Futaba 9C Txs.

Manish it looks like the the link I posted doesn't allow you to order, so I assume it's out of stock (and production) now...

20/06/2019 12:12:52

I bought one from Singapore Hobbies in 2014. I think they were becoming scarce then and I paid USD58 for it plus USD8 shipping to the UK.

Fortunately it fixed my Tx nicely and it has been faultless ever since, so was well worth doing!

Seems they still list it:

**LINK**

BUT....it doesn't seem to be available to put in a shopping cart!

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 20/06/2019 12:13:44

Thread: Help to id this engine please?
19/06/2019 20:59:45

It's a Fox Tartan 22cc. It's not designed nor produced by Duke Fox.

They were made in Italy in both glow and petrol versions. Yours is obviously the petrol version with a Dell'Orto pumped carb and ignition system. The glow versions have a SuperTigre Mag type carb.

There was also a 44cc flat twin variant called the Tartan Twin.

Thread: Who uses blue or pink foam?
13/06/2019 10:39:03

Yes Andy correct, but I've covered that in other posts in this thread. Dow have sold that part of their business to Ravago, but stocks are not built up with distributors yet. Distributors are prepared to order it in for me by the palletload, but I want to buy it by the sheet, not the palletload!

13/06/2019 09:45:05
Posted by MikeQ on 13/06/2019 06:58:08:

Hello

is this what your after ...

https://www.insulationexpress.co.uk/ravago-floormate-300a-styrofoam-insulation-boards

Cheers

Mike

Mike thanks for the suggestions, but my very first post in this thread has bad news:

"I used to buy single sheets of blue foam called Dow Floormate 300A styrofoam from my local branch of Sheffield Insulation as was (now SIG) but they advise me this is no longer a stock item and instead can order a more dense pink foam but I have to buy it in packs of 10 sheets for around £150 a pack."

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
10/06/2019 19:05:53

That's an odd response Danny. The sample is tiny, about 3" x 2" and is free of charge, they send a quote at the same time.

If you can't make a decision based on that, then fair enough, but please take it from me that my sample was good enough to compare with my remaining Esaki and decide that it is a cheaper and more convenient size to use.

Coupled with the recommendation from Bill Dennis who I am sure you are aware is an excellent builder, that was good enough for me.

Still, if you think it might be rubbish, then don't waste your time.

10/06/2019 17:30:43
Posted by Danny Fenton on 10/06/2019 12:51:54:

Hi Alan, I am really struggling to find the product you have indicated:

Can you give the description please, I am finding silk, Chiffon with a 5307 code. Georgette has a code 4272.

A little help please?

Cheers

Danny

Danny

Harringtons look to have updated (!) their website. It seems a bit screwy now.

You used to be able to use the order form to request a sample, which is what I did.

This is the stuff I ordered, but it looks like it is no longer listed:

4201/I Ivory Pure Silk Chiffon, £9.99, It weighs 17g sq m as opposed to 12g - an insignificant difference.

I will dig out my quote form and sample I got from them tonight. I suppose you could always ring them and quote the code I gave you. If it's no longer available they might supply you an alternative sample. I liked the ability to get a sample first to check it was what I wanted.

I'll report back tomorrow with my document and bit of silk...

FWIW, I think the 5307 stuff is close but it's shot up in price!

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 10/06/2019 17:32:32

07/06/2019 15:37:02

I have used the lightweight Esaki from Mike Woodhouse and also a slightly cheaper silk from Harringtons Fabric and Lace of long Eaton.

**LINK**

If you want a sample, follow the link above and type in this product code:

4202/I (that's I for Ivory)

It was recommended by Bill Dennis for FF Scale applications so it should have a finer weave than your stuff.

Thread: Model flying Ooop North...
05/06/2019 11:48:29

It looks like the BMFA club finder map has been updated as it is missing several clubs.

I would suggest that Northumberland Model Flyers based in Longhirst are further north than Blyth, as are Tranwell Model Flyers and Group 20 but my post said clubs, not BMFA clubs.

Northumbrian Model Aircraft Society are based a couple of miles south of Rothbury but are not a BMFA affiliated club.

05/06/2019 11:25:21

The thing is, there aren't many people living in that part of the world to support organised clubs (one of the many benefits of living in Northumberland!).

As I said, there are clubs further north than Blyth but they are not near the coast.

05/06/2019 10:51:46
Posted by Foxfan on 05/06/2019 10:34:10:

You're right, Chris, but I have never slope soared. (I live in the Fens!). I was just looking for somewhere to go along and watch, but from Newcastle to Edinburgh (140 miles!) there is absolutely nothing! Amazing.

Martin

That's not strictly true.. There are several clubs in South East Northumberland which is north of Newcastle (4 or 5 of them are BMFA clubs, one is LMA ). Most of the clubs north of the Border are SAA (Scottish Aeromodellers Association) affiliated and will not show up on the BMFA club finder.

I know of SAA clubs at Bonchester Bridge, Drem and Dalkeith.

Thread: Now that Solartex has gone...
04/06/2019 15:02:21

Nope.

Look at this Youtube video, it's a good guide.

**LINK**

04/06/2019 14:09:55

I use a high solids 2K clear. I've only used gloss and semi-gloss I have to confess.

Before I used them on a model I made up a test panel painted with the following paints to overcoat with the 2K clear:

Tamiya acrylic

Humbrol enamel

Warbirds color

Cellulose

Acrylic basecoat

All paints accepted the 2K clear when applied as per the method I outlined in my previous post, so it would seem to be a viable fuelproof coating for those of us who paint models.

I think I'd look to buy a cheap tent that you can stand up in as a spraybooth Stu!

04/06/2019 09:32:51

Yes it will*, but obviously you need to mist on a tack coat of the 2K as the first couple of coats.

*Disclaimer time, I have done this using a specific brand of cellulose and a specific brand of 2K clear.

I prefer automotive acrylic basecoat for glow and petrol models now and this lends itself nicely to 2K clear over the top. I find it covers better than cellulose with less paint and is less prone to orange peel.

03/06/2019 16:56:17

That's fair enough but it is misleading.

Straight castor/methanol is relatively kind to paint compared with 10% nitro and modern synthetic oil based fuel.

03/06/2019 14:52:49

The 2Ks I have used are isocyanate based (hence the need for air-fed masks or at least active filters on a cartridge mask) but I can tell you that they are most definitely proof to modern synthetic oil based glow fuels (Optifuel, Coolpower etc) as well as castor based.

I have some models that are approaching 15 years old and while they are starting to look their age, the paint is hard and shiny and new looking.

2K stands for 2 komponenten so yes, paint and catalyst.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 03/06/2019 14:53:27

03/06/2019 14:25:37

That's my point exactly but I see many paints and varnishes sold by model retailers as fuel resistant. It's misleading to say the least.

2K paints are also totally glow fuel proof.

03/06/2019 13:59:21

No need to use a primer.

I have had good adhesion from the following paints to Solartex:

-Warbirds Colors waterbased,

-2K automotive,

-KlassKote epoxy,

-Flair Spectrum enamel,

-HobbyFlight enamel.

The root issue here is that all the paints that are relatively benign from a health point of view are not fuelproof. I have a problem with the distinction between the terms fuelproof and fuel resistant. What exactly does fuel resistant mean? Not quite fuelproof? Almost fuel proof? I take it to mean NOT fuelproof.

03/06/2019 13:02:53

Haha I'm the same with brushing!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us