By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Gorham_

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Gorham_ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA membership Platform training for Club Administrators
15/12/2018 17:38:45

Andy thanks from me for making the effort to travel around and showing the capabilities of the new platform. Personally I found it valuable to make the effort to be there in person that I might not have made if the workshop was online only.

Thread: Flair Cub
12/12/2018 17:36:47

Amen to that Martin - it's what flying is all about!

12/12/2018 16:54:22

I used to have one and I had hundreds of lovely relaxing flights with it. Mine was a restoration project. It was beautifully built but horribly covered, so I stripped it down and recovered it as you see here.

The fixed plywood cowling is as per the plan and I never found it to be any problem. I would either re-do the aileron hinge gaps or seal them with film as the aileron response on mine was very soft (nice with a bit of rudder, both thumbs type flying).

I fitted an OS40 Surpass engine in mine. Went great. I flew it with wheels, skis and floats fitted (not all at the same time). I sold it last year to make room for new projects and I miss it.

pict2457.jpg

flair cub float.jpg

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 12/12/2018 16:58:09

Thread: What can I fly on a 2S battery?
08/12/2018 09:19:53

Hi Steve

I've also built a 38" DH Mosquito that uses the same 2S 2200mAh packs, but has 2 x Speed 400 brushed motors.

It was a free plan in RCM&E in 2005 but the plan is still available from Tony Nijhuis designs as are the canopy and spinner mouldings:

**LINK**

It's an all-sheet wing and a quick build. I modified the plan to make the wing planform more scale and used a built-up rudder and elevators for better scale effect and reduced weight.

No pics of this one, sorry!

I have to say that I built whatever model I fancy and then buy batteries to suit. Of course once you have a collection different size packs you can combine them in different series/parallel combinations to suit new models you may want to build.

Thread: The right adhesive
08/12/2018 07:25:04

Deluxe Materials Cover Grip is used as a brush-on coating that is heat-activated when dry. No idea if it will work with the horrible VQ covering but it does work with Oracover, HobbyKing film and Solartex in my experience.

In the worst case scenario and you can't find anything to stick the original covering down, I'd strip all the covering off and recover it properly from scratch. It'll give you a much more durable finish in the long run. I bought a VQ models P-39 cheap a few years ago and the covering was simply horrible. I took it all off.

Thread: What can I fly on a 2S battery?
08/12/2018 07:20:55

I fly my old Model Designs Bristol Blenheim on a single 2S 2200mAh battery.

60" span, 2 x brushed 600 motors.

Maybe not ideal for a tight space but it does ace low passes a few inches off the ground.

Just to show you what a 2s battery is capable of:

814473.jpg

Thread: B24 Liberator - 1/12th scale PSS
07/12/2018 17:38:03

As well as seeing you get the Lib nearer completion (ready for 2019!), any chance of some pics of the Seahawk in it's own thread please Mr. Meade?

Thread: New Years Eve 2018 / New Years Day 2019 PSSA Fly-In
05/12/2018 19:11:54

Yes please! Either day fine for me, just need the weather to co-operate thumbs up

Thread: Do you weigh your lipos (I think you should!)
01/12/2018 16:29:29

As well as stating the C rating on the battery pack I decided to check the listing on the HK website.

Here's what I found:

The selection page clearly shows the C rating:

hk cap.jpg

The detail page foe the pack in question clearly shows the weight of the pack:

hk cap spec.jpg

So perhaps there's no need to weigh your Lipos if you check what you are buying using the readily provided info?

01/12/2018 14:48:29
Posted by Stearman65 on 01/12/2018 12:39:17:

That was a very useful reply, thank you.yes The zippy doesn't have the C rating on the wrapping, but it could have been over 40C, just checked the order & it says -

Does the Zippy pack not say "60C Series" in red on the label?

Thread: Using Ammonia.
28/11/2018 12:08:50

I got mine from Amazon.

28/11/2018 10:35:24

If you have a look through some of the build threads on the PSSA Hurricane mass build from earlier this year you can see lots of us used Ammonia to allow the fuselage sides to take up compound curves.

FWIW I use Ammonia neat and I don't like wetting balsa with water as it swells too much.

Hurricane build threads here:

**LINK**

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
25/11/2018 09:59:16

Hobbyking sold an ARTF Zlin Z-42 which is what I think Paul's model is.

It's nothing like a SA Bulldog!

Thread: extra to servo fitting
23/11/2018 18:30:19

Dave has answered your question but just FYI that picture is a fake Futaba s3003 servo.

Thread: Hitec Spectra 2.4GHz Conversion Module (Futaba compatible too) - Ideal for converting old Futaba Module based transmitters
23/11/2018 10:50:31

If you already have lots of Hitec receivers and no others though....

23/11/2018 10:22:38

Hi Ken

Hitec made a Spectra 2.4GHz Tx module that fits the FF9 (I have one fitted to my old FF9). I've had a quick google and it looks to be discontinued, so your only hope is new old stock on an online shop or a used one I think.

Thread: Old Plan
20/11/2018 17:20:29

yes

Thread: BMFA SUBS
20/11/2018 16:56:07

Just for accuracy Conrad, the BMFA lease the National Centre so they've already made the saving you suggested.

Also, if you look at their Facebook page it is full of attempts to promote the hobby (education & marketing in your terms?).

I'm not really certain what your point is, you just seem to be looking for an argument.

Thread: Old Plan
20/11/2018 16:53:07

Yes, here:

**LINK**

Thread: B24 Liberator - 1/12th scale PSS
15/11/2018 10:07:37

I think the mechanism would be do-able with 2 winch servos, but I agree that making it strong enough to survive slope landings would be tricky.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us