By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Alan Gorham_

Here is a list of all the postings Alan Gorham_ has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Vac Forming
19/03/2020 09:03:17
Posted by Peter Miller on 19/03/2020 08:38:11:

There is a knack to it but it is not too difficult.

Not sure what PETG is

Ideally one needs acetate sheet for best results at home.

Sorry Peter, but:

a) PETG is easily available and will give perfectly good results at home. (If I can do it then anyone can).

b) I'm not totally certain "acetate" sheet is made/easily available in the thicknesses likely to be used by modellers anymore. If you buy it I think you will be getting either perspex or another acrylic. Hence PETG.

Thread: 35 MHz crystals
18/03/2020 19:12:12
Posted by Denis Watkins on 18/03/2020 19:02:28:

Paul

You need to tell the lads if they are for Tx or Rx

Transmitter or Receiver

You've obviously missed the OP's use of the word "receiver".

Thread: Help identifying aircraft
05/03/2020 13:20:02

Piers why do you recommend only taking payment via PayPal? It is most common I think to collect complete models in person. I've certainly bought a good few that way and cash upon collection was certainly fine with me as a buyer.

05/03/2020 10:34:27

Can I offer a slight crumb of encouragement?

Weather permitting take both airframes outside and assemble them. Take pictures of them assembled. This lets prospective buyers see exactly what is present with each model and what may be missing and need fabricating.

I have a hunch that the Moth is the old 68" span Premier Products kit and that is/was a well thought of model with good flying characteristics and robust but not heavy construction. If you can positively identify the model as this kit, this may make it more appealing to someone who is looking for this exact model.

Similarly, I have a hunch that the Bulldog may be the old Eric Evans 65" plan. Again, a positive ID may help generate interest.

One last bit of advice...Let us know your location as there may be a member here who is just around the corner looking for a refurb project.

05/03/2020 09:08:38

David

The Yellow biplane is a DeHavilland DH82a Tiger Moth and the Red/White monoplane is a Scottish Aviation Bulldog T.Mk1.

If you can give the wingspan of each model it may be possible to identify what kit/plan the models are built from.

I would add a note of caution that, while both models look sound but in need of some refurbishment, they are unlikely to command high prices.

Hope that was of some small use.

Thread: Boulton Paul Balliol
04/03/2020 14:56:36

It was an R/C semi kit with foam wings and fuselage deckings, plus GRP cowl and clear canopy made by Chiltern Models (a small UK kit producer of the 1980s and 90s).

Having looked at the links provided by Mark Stevens earlier in the thread, my 3 view is the same as the one shown in his last link and you can see the fuselage sections there.

04/03/2020 08:40:48

Well I've got a kit of a 55" span model waiting to be built. I also have some good documentation such as a 1/48 scale 3 view with sections. There weren't many full size aircraft built and I think the role as a side by side seated trainer was soon taken only the piston Provost.

Thread: copper washers for glow plugs
28/02/2020 14:15:30

Being slightly less flippant this time, I've got loads so if you can't find a source for any, then pm me and I could post you some.

28/02/2020 13:59:40

They come free in the packet when you buy a new glowplug...

Thread: Flying Scale Models Magazine.
28/02/2020 13:59:02

I have always relied on the detailed description which does make clear if the plan is included or not (in my experience) and have a 100% success rate of receiving magazines with plans having made 13 orders.

Thread: power for remote container.
28/02/2020 12:47:11

I'm in no way an expert but in a PV installatrion you use a charge controller to disconnect the PV panels from the batteries.

Surely there are wind turbine charge controllers that automatically apply the load to the turbine when the batteries are disconnected/charged?

Thread: Flying Scale Models Magazine.
27/02/2020 16:57:45

August edition with plan is available here, I've used this site before many times to buy old magazines with confidence:

**LINK**

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 27/02/2020 16:57:54

Thread: Flair Magnatilla plan wanted
26/02/2020 14:01:44

It's a very, very old Mk1 then!

26/02/2020 13:05:38

Mk1 plans show the engine mounted to a plate via it's backplate bolts and the plate is bolted onto the firewall.

Mk2 plans show the engine side mounted on hardwood bearers.

Thread: PSS Models FOR SALE or WANTED
26/02/2020 11:50:24

Small but perfectly formed?

26/02/2020 11:43:05

Set of EDF F-18 Hornet moulds for sale on the BMFA classifieds. Might make a good PSS project for someone keen to turn out a few sets of mouldings? We could have a Hornet Squadron at PSSA events...

**LINK**

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
18/02/2020 11:13:17

Yes and no Richard. You now legally don't have to display the Operator ID on your models until the exemption expires at the end of June.

Some of us are still waiting for Operator IDs and I guess the new exemption gives the CAA more time to get all the IDs issued.

Thread: Balsa or Obechi
13/02/2020 15:56:04

Having looked at the price of Obechi and remembering how prone to splitting it was when I used to use it to skin foam wings, I must say it would be balsa all the way for me.

My PSS Hurricane used Ammonia soaked balsa sheeting (no planking). Dead easy.

pict2943.jpg

13/02/2020 15:04:11

Can you buy Obechi easily anymore?

Thread: Electric Flair SE5a
11/02/2020 15:53:48

It's a long-standing gotcha with the Flair scouts that the CG position given is with the model hanging around 15 degrees nose down. If you balance with the model level you will get twitchy behaviour.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us