By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Leighfield

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Leighfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
17/08/2018 17:52:51

It sounds as if SW and I are in the same boat!

Thread: Anyone interested in a Nats meet-up?
17/08/2018 17:50:53

I’m hoping to get there on the Sunday.

15/08/2018 09:07:32

Hi Danny. I’ve been lying low because I’ve shelved all of my modelling and flying activity in the last few weeks as I’ve been away part of the time, it’s been too hot for the airfield and I’ve focused on making some detailed improvements to my Norton 650SS that I’d kept putting off. Quite a lot to do but when it’s done, it’s done. I’ve also been doing some enjoyable riding on my new Honda and that culminates with a ride to Orkney from 08 to 15 September, I’ve always wanted to see Scapa Flow and the bike is my preferred method for things like that and time to myself. My focus will be shifting back towards the models then.

However I’m going to do the Fury. Really there’s been an issue with getting motivated to finish the Chipmunk, which I’ve been a bit disillusioned with. Using traditional covering methods with dope has left me with warped ailerons and it’s been one thing after another with that build. The bits I’ve altered are ok, but I’ve been unhappy with the design detail and poor wood quality from SLec. I should have sent it back rather than persevered with it, but the consequence of brittle wood was that while working in the wing with undercarriage, servos and linkages I was continually splitting and breaking ribs and having to repair them. In fact most of the work is done but the indoor stuff took my interest and I was doing that instead. At some point I must finish it rather than abandon it, but when is another matter.

I’ve ordered the metal bits from Ernie. Also I have put Barkston Heath in my diary for 26 August. Never been there before, but it looks as if I will be able to collect the wood bits from there as you suggest. That leaves plan, cowl and spinner to sort out, but it looks as if they have to come from Sarik. Still have to make the final decision between I/C and electric, I prefer the first but with this design I can see the sense of electric.

That’s where it stands as of today.

Thread: New Drone Laws from 30/5/2018
25/07/2018 06:34:06

Well done BMFA and colleague organisations that have worked so hard to achieve this excellent result. It is good to see the proof that they have the ability and credibility to operate effectively at this level and you might wonder where on earth we would have been without them.

Thread: RAF Scampton to be sold
24/07/2018 21:55:37

Hopefully so BE, if there are any airfields left that is, and if they’re quick enough to do it!

24/07/2018 19:32:40

There are a number of stations slated for closure and selling off, mostly for housing. From memory Dishforth is on the list and I think Molesworth among others. It makes you think though when you see three Typhoon squadrons (all of them)? based at Coningsby. It doesn’t say much for dispersal, one good air raid or missile strike could take the lot out in one go.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
24/07/2018 19:24:41

Thanks Peter, I’ve still got my Jackdaw, although I last flew it in 1979! I used rudder, elevator and throttle on mine and it flew very well on a good old OS30,though that was a bit lacking in power for take-offs from long grass so I frequently hand-launched it, very easily. I used my first propo gear in it, Swan that was made by Wico-Pacey, otherwise known as Wipac, who made electrical kit for motorbikes. We were still on 27 MHz then and I had some twit in the club at Walsall turn on my colour while I was flying overhead and bring me down. Damage was slight and I could probably get it flying again in a day if I decided to. I also have the plans which show the aileron wing alternative. Good as the Super 60 certainly is, I prefer the Jackdaw because although it can be just as docile as a trainer it has genuine aerobatic potential as well with ailerons.

Thread: Colinís Spanish Fury
24/07/2018 10:06:37

I’ve just ordered the etched parts from Ernie, many thanks to him. I don’t think there’s any difference between the spinner on the Kestrel and Hispano Suiza planes so I will be after one of them. Also the difference on the engine cowling seems to be in detail rather than shape so I don’t see any problems there. I have to confess that all my building and flying has stalled recently because apart from being away for two weeks I have been enjoying my new Honda CB500X (smallest bike since 1964 and I can’t believe how good it is, I’m riding it to Orkney in September) and also my 1961 Norton 650 that I’ve owned since 1967. I had a twilight spin on that last night and it was worth it just to listen to it! Dreadful to be so torn between pleasures and interests that have been lifelong for me, must get my act together.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 24/07/2018 10:07:20

24/07/2018 09:57:15

Hi Ernie. Just sent you a PM with my address. Paid on Paypal. Many thanks.

Thread: BAE Systems Tempest
17/07/2018 17:58:23

The mportabt thing to me is that it is UK lead and not compromised by the multi national shenanigans associated with Tornado and Typhoon. Get back to designing whole planes again instead of bits of them.

16/07/2018 22:37:59

Tom, Will it be allowed to fly above 400 ft?

Good one Mark.

16/07/2018 17:49:23

Makes sense to call it Tempest to follow the Typhoon! I can’t see them ever using Spitfire because it’s so exclusively attached to arguably the most iconic and charismatic aircraft of all time. Mind boggles though when they talk about 2035! Don’t think I’ll be worrying much about it then and it won’t feature in my list of model daydreams!2a60929d-ab79-4c87-9f85-7facf73e648d.jpeg

16/07/2018 17:34:34

dac00378-a2ac-4e9a-b150-711305844392.jpegAnnounced at Farnborough today, minister and industry signing up heads of agreement. (Guardian photo).

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 16/07/2018 17:35:26

Thread: K5682 - Martyn's Fury
05/07/2018 10:31:06

I think it's a fascinating design and apparently the rear starter point is handy. I've got no experience of them at all, but I've heard that they're mechanically noisy, shouldn't matter if it's drowned by the exhaust noise? Also they run hot, so the cooling needs to be spot on but that's already been pointed out. A test for your ingenuity so I know it's not going to be a problem! I've done no preparation for mine yet, still no clear thoughts on motive power.

05/07/2018 08:28:28

Hi Martin. As far as I know the only action the Iranian air force had in that time was against us in 1941 and I'm not sure the Furies got off the ground. Hungary used them but it looks as if they were all wiped out in the first attempt at action. Although there were only three of the Spanish planes they did see some proper air to air combat as I understand it and with the more powerful Hispano Suiza and other improvements it was probably a good match for the CR32 performance wise.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 05/07/2018 08:28:58

Thread: K5682 - Martyn's Fury
05/07/2018 08:21:12

I could never get used to the idea that the cylinder rotates around the piston? Seems to work but you get mixed reports on them. One big advantage is that the prop rotates at 1/2 of crankcase speed, is that right? So you can use a nice big scale prop.

05/07/2018 08:15:08

I bought an airbrush about 1988. Must get it out of the box and work out what I'm supposed to do with it!

supertigrefan, both the CR32 and CR42 are very interesting. There was a plan for the 32 in one of the mags a few years ago, it's probably still around. The 42 deserves more attention, it is a good match for the Gladiator and was in service right through the war. The Polikarpov I15 is the other extensively used WW2 biplane fighter, but probably a bit more difficult as a model I imagine.

02/07/2018 17:38:37

Good one Danny! I’m less of a Camm fan than you are, Hawker could have done a much better job for the RAF before 1943/44 I think, but that’s just an opinion. Back from Spain tomorrow, need to sort out my build priorities next!

02/07/2018 07:28:39

To finish off this mini-series (!) on the further options with the Fury, there was also a floatplane version of the Nimrod naval variant. Interesting to compare this with the Curtiss Schneider Trophy planes that can certainly be considered as having kicked off the line that lead to the Fury. Also although I don’t think it has been said before, it shows that, although more indirect than with the Spitfire, there really is a connection between the Hurricane and the Schneider Trophy. Camm went wrong through doggedly sticking to the mistaken belief that thick wing sections didn’t increase high speed drag and compromised the development potential of the Hurricane and almost unbelievably persevered with this mistake in the Tornado/Typhoon, so failing in the objective of producing a superior interceptor that could replace the Spitfire from 1941. The fact that it turned out to be good low down was fortunate but not intended. The Fury reallyad3b81a5-8eb7-4661-a976-7b9503644a8f.jpeg was an important link in this consecutive series of events

01/07/2018 21:13:31

The true progenitor of the Kestrel and the Fury? The Schneider Trophy winning Curtiss R3C3. We certainly wouldn’t get away with building this in the Fury project though!426e1fbf-8c91-4d40-b422-b292f01d3e18.jpeg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues