By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Leighfield

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Leighfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
05/11/2019 19:11:52

When it looks that good you can be excused.

03/11/2019 23:15:07

I’m watching. The undercarriage is a work of art. Because the Oleos are at an angle from the vertical, as they compress the distance between them at the axle end must reduce. Therefore the axle has to slide and in doing so increase the amount of its length outboard of the axle fittings, or the oleos have to pivot outwards to maintain the distance. The load through the oleos can’t be vertical. I would have thought that the friction in this would have been considerable and I’m surprised that the oleos compress at all. I would have thought that to work properly the axle should bend in the middle, perhaps with a universal joint. However you say that they do compress, so I must be wrong.

Thread: Fairey Gannet
25/10/2019 21:41:52

Hi Nigel. The motors used are from the very reasonably priced AEO range bought from HK. They don’t list them any more, although they appear here and there on EBay. I’m away from home at the moment, from memory the one in the XB42 is the1550Kv version and the one in the Depronised Super Marauder is 375W, they work well and seem to be available here and there on EBay still. I can’t remain the detail of the US originated co-axial motor but will check when I get back home. There is a full range of sizes and outputs including pretty large, but they start to get pricey.

Thread: Antonov AN124 Ruslan
25/10/2019 20:36:11

I think the An124 is likely to fly very well, although I take your point about power perhaps being marginal. If it is you will find the solution, I’m sure.

25/10/2019 20:30:51

img_0295.jpgimage.jpegI’m very keen on contra-props, these are my efforts so far. I’ve also got a contra rotating motor set up bought from the USA waiting for the right opportunity. Really fancy doing a Gannet or a Wyvern.dsc_0351.jpg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 25/10/2019 20:31:34

25/10/2019 16:39:18

I’m trying to work out where this one fits into the scale of clever and complex projects that you have presented to us over the years. You certainly know how to keep the old grey matter occupied. It’s probably the most challenging so far?

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
25/10/2019 16:33:34

You could say that I am, when I get back home! Itching to get the aileron servos in place but I keep getting diverted by things like indoor projects!

25/10/2019 16:30:27

Great plane. We certainly missed them after we finished up in the Falklands war without a “proper” aircraft carrier able to operate them! The AEW3 would have made all of the difference and probably saved a number of lives. Good luck with the project Martin, great choice.

Thread: Fieseler Storch
25/10/2019 16:23:41

You have a result though Martin, your perseverance shows through! What is the finished weight? It could turn out to be a decent flyer!

Thread: Hangar 9 Ultra Stik 10cc
13/10/2019 08:43:02

It’s definitely in place Cymaz. If it dries up a bit later today I could run the motor up in the garden and see if the problem’s solved. Not sure if the neighbours will speak to me afterwards though. I was revving my Norton up around the cul de sac yesterday. Have to have a fix occasionally.

13/10/2019 08:20:37

I confess that a I put a piece of wood on top of the plug cap and whacked it with “me ommer”. Do or die. I don’t think I’ll get up the field today, it’s chucking it down, I will be away for two weeks after today so that’s everything stuffed.

Thread: Sopwith Camel, Tony Ray Models.
13/10/2019 08:04:30

ec1f57be-274a-4859-8fb4-1048199a29a4.jpeg25745490-f366-48cd-abb9-e808a73c0fda.jpegAfter a bit of fiddling the ailerons are sorted and servos in place. Linkages still to do and then I will cover and finish it off. It needs a pilot and a pair of Vickers guns, I’ll knock those up from foam and then finish it as the Shuttleworth Camel. Looking at it, this would 224c2327-e15b-44f9-84ff-2a60ab6ca9f9.jpegscale up into a bigger model very nicely.

10/10/2019 23:02:02

Hi again Bob. This one is a straight push fit but so stiff you get no sense of location or positive detent. I’m getting to have a go at it tomorrow.

Thread: Sopwith Camel, Tony Ray Models.
10/10/2019 15:25:40

44e735ef-a91e-4cf5-9408-75569ce16364.jpega6375eb1-fec7-406f-af4f-3a9db244049e.jpegI saw this Sopwith Camel on Bang Good a few months ago and thought it would be interesting for indoors. Although very detailed in structure (looks almost full-sized) the high quality cnc cutting makes it go together quickly. The only problem I had was with my clumsy fingers when using the M1 3mm self tapping panhead screws that hold much of it together, but you get there. It looks as if the finished all up weight with battery will be about 50 gms.

It uses the usual 8.5mm cordless motor with gearbox, micro rx with longitudinal servos and 1S LiPo around 150 mah. The design is very interesting.

I now find that Steve Webb/Servo Shop is selling these dd72776d-cfd5-45a5-9dab-1bfca0ba1d52.jpegand there is a range of 12 designs including the Etrich Taube, Fokker EIII, Avro 504 etc. Worth a look for those interested in this kind of thing.

10/10/2019 14:23:00

Hi Bruce. There is a fair chance you are right I think, when I get home later I will have another look. When I had the original starting trouble and changed the plug on the off-chance I couldn’t believe how hard it was to get the plug cap off. Afterwards I also couldn’t believe how hard it was to get it back on and I can well believe that it isn’t all the way down even now. I will resist the temptation to bash it with the sledge-hammer and consider a more subtle technique such as the one you chose.

I will report back.

09/10/2019 20:23:13

Hi Bob. The engine is all new and the braided lead looks perfect, the plug cap also seems to be on ok, it’s a very tight fit. When I was having trouble starting the engine initially I bought and fitted a new plug, so it should be ok but I could always put the original back in for comparison. I don’t have a spare CDI unit, but it came with the engine and is also new. The ignition is powered by a separate 4.8V battery.

Cymaz, thanks again. There are extension leads in there.

Clearly chaps I need to have a systematic look all the way through, that’s the next step.

09/10/2019 18:01:16

Sorry Cymaz, I forgot to say it’s on 2.4. Where do I obtain ferrite rings?

09/10/2019 17:58:04

Thank you Cymaz and John, much appreciated. The CDI box is buried up front under the fuel tank and is about 9” away from the rx, can’t get it much further than that. The tuned pipe extension is connected to the silencer with a flexible extension, although the tuned pipe itself is attached to two steel brackets under the fuselage with two jubilee clips. The only concern I had was in finding space for the CDI box and squeezing it into the space below the tank. I had hoped to “float” it inside foam but all I could do was apply a thin layer of foam plastic about 3mm thick top and bottom, itnis a tight fit and I wondered if there could be a vibration issue there. Can’t think of anywhere else to put it though.

09/10/2019 17:17:52

This is certainly a very “technical” build and showing us things that might become a lot more commonplace soon. Real model aeroplane engineering.

09/10/2019 17:14:20

So often when you squeeze a “quick project” in between others it takes on a life of its own and this is certainly the case here. Other things going on and weather issues have put off the opportunity for the first flight, I had got today clear but looking at variable weather and strong gusting winds this morning it was seeming like another no-go. In the end I went anyway thinking this model should cope with a bit of wind and you can’t put things off for ever.

I have learned how to get the engine going quickly now and having run a couple of tanks through in the back garden at fast tick-over it feels like it should. I changed the 12”x6” prop for a 13”x6” and off I went. At the airfield it was bright and sunny, the flying conditions weren’t great though because of the gusting wind, described by the two pals who were there. However it was flyable, good enough.

I did the range check, perfect. The engine started immediately. Control checks looked ok but when I began to open the throttle there was massive interference induced loss of control, surfaces were moving all over the place and the throttle wouldn’t close. Fortunately the ignition control did still work and I was able to kill the engine. I re-started the engine twice but it was obvious there would be no flying today. There is serious ignition interference with the radio.

Now I need to identify the best way to prevent this. Not a problem I have ever had to deal with before and this is my first experience with a petrol engine. Not a good start. Any easy solutions anyone?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us