By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Colin Leighfield

Here is a list of all the postings Colin Leighfield has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: S1581 Hawker Nimrod MkI
18/06/2020 19:59:45

You should bring the Hurricane as well. A couple of photos of them together for the Camm connection would be good. They’re different scales so you’d need to position them to offset that, but that would be a challenge for you as a photographer. .

18/06/2020 19:16:37

Danny, I can’t imagine anybody daring to chuck you out, I’ll bring my Kalashnikov just in case. Otherwise if you wear a grey wig and look incredibly vacant they’ll think you’re me. At least until they see the model, when they’ll know it couldn’t possibly be!

18/06/2020 17:48:40

It looks wonderful Danny, as I knew it would.

Thread: Glider design - low aspect ratio wing
27/05/2020 09:54:14

This is the one I used to drool over as a kid, a long time ago! 103” span, aspect ratio 6:1. A legendary glider as they used to be, a proper “floater”! Designed by Dick Twomey and published by APS. Now in Outerzone.6d94fc5b-f64d-4779-a50d-58ef0e842c0a.jpeg

26/05/2020 22:35:50

I never said they were Richard. Of course Hawks and Vultures spend huge amounts of time soaring. However you suggested that gulls and albatrosses don’t. That is not correct, that’s all and the albatross is known as the best soaring bird in the world, able to travel 10,000 miles in one flight. Look it up.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 26/05/2020 22:36:18

26/05/2020 20:27:33

Don’t tell the gulls in Calpe, Spain, where we are frequently, that they don’t soar. For some reason on every day in late afternoon they congregate in large numbers flying in circles above the bay and fly upwards. They arrive close to the slopes of the 332 metre high “Penon de Ifach” , a huge rock that protrudes into the sea for about half a kilometre. They seem then to be using rising air currents to continue to circle until they are above the peak, in old money more than a thousand feet up. They don’t stop there, although some seem to progressively hold altitude at different levels and circle until eventually at probably around 1,300 ft there is just one and at that point they scatter and disperse in all directions. It’s an astonishing sight that I have been observing for many years, aometimes from the top of the Penon. Besides that they frequently use air currents to soar for prolonged periods over the bay. It’s clearly not related to feeding because they do that at sea level. Also albatrosses most definitely soar, they spend huge periods, days and weeks, in the air, almost certainly sleeping on the wing. Probably the best soarers of all birds. Low aspect ratio wings such as seen on the famous “Leprechaun” glider definitely are good for floating, but when it comes to maximum soaring efficiency the top sailplane designers of the world certainly don’t consider low aspect ratios as even starting to compete. Gulls and related birds are among the best soarers in the bird kingdom.

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 26/05/2020 20:29:33

Thread: Boulton & Paul Defiant
26/05/2020 18:18:03

The Brisfit isn’t a great comparison because it had a forward firing gun and it’s initial fighter attack would be conventional from the rear. The two flexible guns behind then gave enormous opportunity to do a lot more damage on the way through as well as nailing any fighter that came from behind. It’s also true that although less maneouvrable than the German single seaters it was faster than most of them. It was a superior fighting platform, the Defiant definitely wasn’t because it was too slow and couldn’t fire forwards except at an upward angle of 10 degrees.

26/05/2020 12:08:56

I’ve probably said it before but dad used to tell me about his visits to Hendon pre-war and the RAF aerobatic displays with the Fury and later the Gauntlet. He loved them both but in his opinion the Gauntlet was the best. Reading the experiences of pilots who flew the Fury, Gauntlet and Gladiator, what comes out is that the best flyer of the lot was the Gauntlet. Although the Gladiator was really a developed Gauntlet and had a better performance, I imagine that the extra weight including that of four guns might have taken away some of the edge in handling finesse.
Camm didn’t originate the idea that kicked off the lineage of Hart and Fury biplanes. They arose from a request from the RAF that didn’t want to be dependent on Fairey and the American Curtiss engine after the Fox had proved so superior to anything else in service at the time. They approached Rolls Royce to match the engine that had enabled the fine lines of the Fox and that originated the Kestrel. The Kestrel enabled Hawker to maximise the aerodynamic advantage from that low frontal area engine in the Hornet/Fury and the Hart series of two seaters, all of which served so well for so many years. Really, when you look back on it, Fairey had a raw deal out of it because Hawker got most of the benefit from ideas that they instigated, those being derived from the success of the Curtiss racing seaplanes with their own V-12 engine. If you follow that through, you can see that the Hurricane had a relationship with the Schneider Trophy as well as the Spitfire, but it’s not recognised. The Fury was the finest of its time, but probably not the finest of the lot. There is still one Gauntlet flying in the world, in Finland. It has been re-engined with an Alvis Leonides I think, so looks slightly different. Even though, wouldn’t it be fantastic to see it fly! I don’t think there are any other survivors, sadly.

25/05/2020 00:30:49

I’m determined to finish the PC6 indoor project, then I’ll clear the bench and get on with the Fury.

24/05/2020 17:13:56

It doesn’t half look good, as they say!

Thread: ne....1's... pushycat for 2013
24/05/2020 17:10:26

image.jpgAh, my Pushy Cat Super Venom! Wrecked at Greenacres. Because I’m not naturally comfortable flying in groups and using a park fly rx I flew it out of range and it came down. I scrapped it when in fact it was repairable, although I’ve kept the cockpit section. Wouldn’t take a lot to make another. I enjoyed flying it at our home field, it was great. I remember when Chris Golds was asking for photos for Q&EF I sent him this picture and he published it in his Light Fantastic feature!

11/05/2020 11:09:00

It looks wonderful, beautiful workmanship as usual. I have dusted mine down and refreshed my memory as to where I am with it. One more indoor project to finish before I get started again though, I’ve got a bee in my bonnet.

Thread: RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI
10/05/2020 07:08:33

I don’t know if anyone’s seen this yet?621b4178-5b8d-4d11-9590-c85f2bc65634.jpeg

Thread: 1/3 scale Bristol Scout
12/04/2020 21:32:24

Great photos, fascinated to349faca8-3282-497c-bb4b-e45454e7dc61.jpeg see the 1915 RNAS markings, because that is how mine looks now!

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/04/2020 21:43:08

No John. It’s an ordinary GWS 8x4.3 Slow Fly. It was an awful orange colour so I painted it brown, it doesn’t look too bad. I notice I said the motor was a 2208 by the way, it’s not, it’s a 2203.

03/04/2020 21:17:46

Thank you Martin. To make it a bit more realistic I scaled a photo of a Le Rhône 9C, glued it to a 1/64” ply disc and glued that to the periphery of the 2208 outrunner so that it rotates with the prop, adds a touch of realism.da28b0ca-0614-4928-ad25-687942e56696.jpeg

Edited By Colin Leighfield on 03/04/2020 21:21:14

03/04/2020 14:46:58

Thanks John. Surprisingly quick and easy to build as well as being a pretty accurate scale model. Strictly for light breezes or indoors though.

03/04/2020 10:47:18

I’ve run this on the Indoor Scale R/C models page on FB, but it’s come out quite well so I’ve put it here for anyone that’s interested. Bristol Scout “C” all Depron 29” span built from the Flying Scale Models plan originally featured in 2005 and given as a free plan in the December 2019 edition. Designed by Mike Roach. It weighs 180 gms all in with a 2S 320 mah Lipo. First check flights very good, takes off on 1/3 throttle, flies slowly and turns well on rudder. The unusual markings are correct, 1915 RNAS.349faca8-3282-497c-bb4b-e45454e7dc61.jpeg

03/04/2020 10:35:19

I reckon we should be seeing the Giant Zlin 86”.

Thread: Peter Miller asks what next?
26/03/2020 09:55:53

There used to be a good free-flight plan of the EP9 in the APS plans service, it was published alongside an excellent scale feature in Aeromodeller as I remember. That would provide a good basis for r/c conversion and enlargement.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!