By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Crook

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Crook has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Even Later In The Day
17/08/2019 07:33:38

Whoops! Just spotted in my photo that I did have to add a little lead after all. I've been flying it for 2 or 3 years, that's my excuse for forgetting!

17/08/2019 07:29:43

Hi Mark. I built mine for electric, too. It flies well on a modest 450W 3s setup. I use some 4000 packs that I had to hand, and the cg worked out fine without adding ballast.

Here's a view of my battery bay in case it helps - the lid is side hinged using film, and held shut with magnets.

ballerina 003.jpg

Enjoy the build, you will enjoy the flying.

Thread: X9D+ 2019 or Q X7S?
14/08/2019 08:12:19

I have a QX7 which I use in a couple of fixed wing models. It's amazingly capable for the money, and the hardware feels good - the hall effect sticks on the S feel even better. Don't know what you've been using but Open Tx, whilst very powerful, takes a lot of head scratching at first.

Oh, the telemetry X-series receivers work well and are good value. Just make sure everything you buy is EU LBT - I made the mistake of buying a "universal" rx at first, and it wasn't!

14/08/2019 08:12:18

I have a QX7 which I use in a couple of fixed wing models. It's amazingly capable for the money, and the hardware feels good - the hall effect sticks on the S feel even better. Don't know what you've been using but Open Tx, whilst very powerful, takes a lot of head scratching at first.

Oh, the telemetry X-series receivers work well and are good value. Just make sure everything you buy is EU LBT - I made the mistake of buying a "universal" rx at first, and it wasn't!

Thread: Electric Cars.
12/08/2019 16:58:54

Martin, I read a scientific paper that stated that the sun delivered more energy to the earth in an hour than the earths population consumes in a year from all sources, nuclear, fossil etc. So I don't think a major take-up of solar pv is going to upset the planet's thermodynamic balance very much. I suspect the effect of wind farms is similarly insignificant.

IDD summed up the situation nicely - at the moment evs certainly aren't suitable for every motorist, but if they fit your situation and you do your homework, they have several advantages at present. Some of those will be eroded as time goes on. The government will undoubtably start putting duty on public chargers, and may apply it to home chargers via a smart meter. The very low depreciation of the latest evs will increase as production starts to meet demand.

On the plus side, the price of the cars will come down, the infrastructure will improve and they will continue to be much more efficient than ic, less polluting and using a power source that will hopefully be more renewable. Apparently 80% of the batteries content are now recyclable, after they have done probably 10 years in a car, then reduced duty in domestic or industrial storage.

It's the power generation and distribution that will provide the biggest challenge.

Thread: Hospitalised, my own fault - but ?
12/08/2019 07:34:25

Colin, hope the injury is healing well - nasty! Reading this thread suddenly reminded me that my son and I each had E-Flite Grumman Wildcats a few years ago. Very similar size and shape to the Buffalo. We self-launched, but I remember the trouble we had holding on with one hand when the throttle was opened. We solved it by launching at half throttle - still enough power to get away, but easier to grip. May be worth trying if you dare go near it again!

11/08/2019 18:06:40

Unlikely to have 26 million evs any time soon, Paul - almost every one on sale has a long waiting list as demand far outstrips supply at present. It'll be interesting to see how the grid copes with no new houses having mains gas after 2025, which is a lot sooner than the mandated date for evs, and won't give the buyer the choice.

Thread: Three bladed props (again).
09/08/2019 14:30:42

And of course early versions had 2-bladers! With my leccy warbirds, I've found 3, 4 and 5-blade props just fine, love the scale appearence. Haven't noticed any whine, but they are all quite low revving with low kV motors. The only thing to beware of is the torque reaction on take-off, but only using half throttle solves that.

Thread: CHEAP small glider at Lidls!
09/08/2019 07:27:10

Flew my pure glider version at the slope for the first time this week, on holiday in Dorset. Goes pretty well. Plenty of elevator authority from an all moving tailplane, but needs more aileron. I top hinged the rear 25% of the wing as far as the tip dihedral, so my plan is to hinge the tip sections too and slot in little bits of flexible plastic to the t.e. to link them to the main ailerons.

It cost me £7.99 and is kitted out with stuff I already had, so it's brilliant value, and perfect to chuck in the boot on top of the luggage to take away. Being so small, the Spektrum DSM2 parkfly Rx is quite up to the job.

Thread: The Ohmen
01/08/2019 07:25:36

Chris, if the cowl screw cut-outs bother you, there's a simple solution - don't have them. The cowl on my Ohmen is located using a couple of small dowel pegs, and retained by the film covering. Electric motors don't need maintenance, but if you need access you can run a scalpel around the join to remove and re-apply covering to replace. I used this method on my electrified Ballerina a few years ago, and it hasn't been off since.

p1010431.jpg

Thread: C No Ohmen
30/07/2019 07:07:27

Probably too late now, but I used magnets at the back and a dowel at the front, and angled the rear former instead of the front. Very secure, 20 plus flights with no issues.

p1010430.jpg

Thread: Spektrum DX7
29/07/2019 06:34:48

My DX7 is still going strong, original battery is even still good. I don't use it much now as I find my Gen 1 DX8 easier to program, and it will still work my DSM2 Rx's - I think later Gen 1 DX8's had DSM2 disabled.

As Peter says, if it still works fine keep using the DX7, it will work with any new DSMX Rx's you buy. If you fancy a new Tx with voice annunciations etc. and don't need 7 channels, the DX6 looks good, but it won't work your old receivers.

28/07/2019 07:51:38

Frank, your response to C8's Mondeo figures points out that an ev will go about half as far on 60kWh as a diesel will on 640kWh, which emphasises the tremendous effeciency of evs. I'm sure a great many people haven't looked at those figures. The cars are getting better and cheaper all the time, the infastructure and supply effeciency are a different matter.

27/07/2019 06:55:06

Erf, electric cars won't be the only extra stress on the grid. The government announced a little while ago that from 2025, new build homes would not be connected to mains gas, so plenty of extra power required for all of those to be heated!

Not sure what you mean by ev's higher running costs, low cost fuel and less maintenance are their strongest selling points at present. Of course, none of us know what new tax regimes will be brought in, as you say the fuel duty hole will have to be plugged somehow.

23/07/2019 22:39:08

I just watched a couple of videos by a Youtuber called Cabbie007. He's just started using a Kia E-Niro in his private hire business, and on his first 12-hour shift covered 236 miles with over 30% of battery capacity left. He then spent quite some time recharging at a public charger, because it was a free one, although he could have charged it overnight at home.

On another video, he tried comparing aircon on and off ranges, and the aircon knocked 19 miles off the range, so not too bad.

Quite an investment for him to have made, but potential for huge savings on running costs for his business, even if he pays for his electricity for the convenience of home charging.

Thread: Moon landing
22/07/2019 23:12:05

Plenty of high-res photos now showing the Apollo landing sites from space. Descent stages and experiments are visible, and also foot and wheel tracks between them. Needless to say, the conspiracy theorists will have an explanation for it all.

19/07/2019 20:25:54

Percy, have you seen the new MG EZS? They are now taking orders, and if you are one of the first 1000 you can get one for £21500. MG are adding a £3500 discount to match the government grant for early buyers. They are also including a 7kW home charger.

It's quite a smart looking SUV, a bit bigger than a Kona, and comes with a 44kWh battery, which is good for 160-odd miles on the WLTP cycle, which seems realistic for EVs. They quote an "urban" range of over 200 miles - unlike IC cars, EVs are more economical around town. Warranty is 7 years, and equipment levels are good. The battery is liquid cooled, so it is happy with multiple 50kW charges (unlike the Leaf, apparently).

The only downside is that there aren't that many MG dealers, although I have one about 7 miles away.

Food for thought, and there will be plenty more to come.

17/07/2019 22:03:53

Regarding the access to "refuelling" facilities, when I moved to the small town I live in in 1993, there were 4 petrol stations. Now there are none. It's a minimum 4 mile drive to get fuel. Now I appreciate that you normally fill up when on a journey, but I've noticed the number of filling stations has decreased substantially over the last 20-30 years. I'd love to do most of my refuelling at home, the time taken at public chargers wouldn't bother me as I would only have to use them occasionally - probably less than a dozen times a year with the sort of motoring I do, assuming one of the latest 250 mile plus EVs.

Everyone's motoring habits are different of course. And a new electric Hyundai would have cost double the amount I paid for my 6 month old petrol version. That will slowly change though.

17/07/2019 14:20:31

You would have got a 5 year warranty with the Mitsubishi too, Bob. Local servicing does count for a lot though.

Thread: Se5a on a Summer's Day
16/07/2019 08:11:35

Well flown in adverse conditions! Model details please! Here's my leccy powered Flair one a few summers ago. Haven't flown it so far this year, you've inspired me to take it out next time.

SE5A 1

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us