By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Crook

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Crook has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Recommendations please
20/01/2020 11:48:47

How fast? Mains or 12V powered?

Thread: Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?
17/01/2020 15:14:00

Multiplex Twinstar. First electric model to give reasonable performance and duration.

Thread: Folland Gnat
13/01/2020 17:20:37

Quite an ambitious little project Simon, much respect. I too am a fan (sorry!) of models that have a low enough wing loading to fly at scale-like speed. Of course, this makes them more of a challenge to fly when it's windy/turbulent, and they need a lot of power to fly scale verticals such as loops, due to lack of momentum. I'm sure you know all this!

I never appreciated those differences with the HAL Ajeet. I worked for a company in the 80s that made the accident data recorder for the Ajeet, and didn't realise roll control was via tailerons.

Looking forward to hearing further progress.

Thread: Electric Flair SE5a
11/01/2020 14:06:29

Mine flies very well using a 3s setup providing 450W. Turnigy Aerodrive D3542/6 1000kV motor and Turnigy 45A esc with 4A BEC. 12x6 prop, 4000mAH Turnigy LiPo. Mine has been flying reliably for several years now using the esc BEC, but if you feel better using a seperate Rx supply, a NiMh pack will add useful nose weight - I've added lead!

SE5A 1

Thread: Blohm Und Voss BV141
07/01/2020 22:19:40

Excellent, bet you don't see another at the field! What size is it, and what are you using for power?

Thread: Phone APP for RPM reading.
04/01/2020 07:46:40

Weren't we all told some years ago to keep our mobiles away from our sensitive radio? Or were these similar warnings to those given in petrol stations to switch off phones. Now we are encouraged to us phone apps to pay for our fuel on the forecourt!

Thread: Cambrian ME109 Funfighter electric build
29/12/2019 18:50:55

For a BoB scheme, these are a good decal set for not much money. Out of stock at present though.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/durafly-bf-109e-1100mm-battle-of-britain-scheme-decal-sticker-set.html

Thread: Greetings from Wokingham
24/12/2019 08:15:36

Hi Marc. The SE Berks site is probably a bit closer than our BADMAC field, which is about 5 minutes away from the old turf farm site.

The BADMAC website provides a contact facility here:

http://www.badmac.uk/club/contact

Alternatively if you send me a personal message via the Modelflying site I can give you an email address.

Regarding receiver prices, it depends on your perspective. A couple of weeks ago I bought, over the counter from an actual model shop, a Spektrum 4-channel receiver for £24. For a full range, telemetry equipped original manufacturer's Rx I didn't think that was too bad. I've got an FrSky Tx too, and a couple of their Rx's, which work well and cost less than £30. However, while the transmitter programming is powerful it takes some effort to learn how to set it up. Also, FrSky seem to be forever changing protocols, so not all Tx's talk to all Rx's.

Finally, if you need instruction, a buddybox system is the way to go, so check out the facility at the clubs you visit. BADMAC has a Spektrum system.

21/12/2019 10:42:39

Hi Marc, and welcome back to the hobby. I belong to the Bracknell and District Model Aero Club (BADMAC) and we have a flying site about 15-20 minutes from Wokingham. This is a relatively new location, and unfortunately the details on our website still relate to the old field. If you can pm me, I'll try to get you further info.

Radio "Sets" don't seem to come with servos these days, you are left to make your own choice!

Thread: My Spitfire Tribute
19/12/2019 17:15:43

Great video Cliff. I too have a Durafly Mk1, it is probably the most accurate scale Mk1 you can get, flies well too. Don't know if you've seen the Avios MkV, but that's just as accurate and flies even better, being bigger, with much more forgiving ground handling.

Thread: RBC Dornier 335
18/12/2019 21:29:05

Erf, I forgot to mention in my somewhat negative report of the RBC Harvard that it ended up flying rather well. I'm sure your 335 will too. One of the many, many types flown by "Winkle" Brown. I gather the ejection sequence was rather perilous.

17/12/2019 22:07:50

Keep us posted Erf. What size is it?

I built an RBC Harvard a few years ago and while the quality of the wood provided was excellent, the plan and instructions left a lot to be desired, and like you I struggled. Probably why nearly all of my current warbird fleet are foamies!

Thread: Ebay sellers...
17/12/2019 07:23:24

I ordered a new (non modelling) item from an Ebay shop for someone's Christmas present in November. I got a message saying that it had been dispatched, but when it was a week overdue I flagged it up with Ebay. They said to give it another week then they would take action. 1 week later I got an email from Ebay asking if I had resolved the matter with the seller. Since I had not heard anything from the seller, I responded "No". Within 15 minutes Ebay sent me another email saying they had refunded me, and a simultaneous message from Paypal confirming this.

It's the first time I've not had an Ebay purchase arrive, and I was very impressed by their service. Apparently the seller had provided an invalid tracking number, obviously they were very dodgy. Can't honestly remember if I'd studied their feedback rating before buying, I normally do, and will make sure I always do so in future.

Thread: Andy Symons PR on Countryfile
15/12/2019 19:33:06

Indeed, great job in what looked like rotten weather!

Thread: BMFA Renewal Certificate
06/12/2019 22:23:00

Printed mine easily too. Full marks to whoever designed the membership interface, I found re-joining and specifying CAA registration a very quick and painless experience.

Thread: T N Avro York
01/12/2019 22:20:12

My father in law converted the smaller TN Lancaster to a York a few years ago. It flew once, with my son at the helm, and seemed ok on 4 geared 400 brushed motors. It lost a bit of power after a couple of minutes so it was landed without incident. Turns out that one of the inner gearboxes had failed, so it had carried on flying on 3 brushed motors.

He hasn't persevered with it, but I'm sure it would fly really well on a brushless setup. I imagine Tony used the same wing design for the York as for the Lanc, so it should fly the same as our conversion.

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
28/11/2019 14:38:12

As ever, it depends on what your interest is, your skill level and the depth of your pockets. My main interest is flying scale models, and building and flying sport models. Building a fairly complex scale aircraft would probably tax my skills and maintenance of interest.

Hence, earlier this year I bought a 1450mm Avios Spitfire 1450mm foamy for £270. The appearance of the model is superb, as are the flying characteristics. I still derived "building" pleasure from careful assembly, scale detailing and weathering.

I priced up the major hardware items you would need if building a similar model (motor, esc, servos, retracts, oleos) from Hobbyking and they came to about £160. I didn't include a canopy or the superb scale propeller. For a build you would have to add the cost of balsa, covering, hinges and other assorted hardware. I doubt it would work out any cheaper than buying the ARTF, and it would take a lot of skill and patience to make it look as good.

To simplify the build route you could buy a part kit of the (slightly larger) TN Spitfire, which costs £179. You would still need to buy all of the electrics, hardware, covering etc. and this would cost considerably more than the Avios.

That's the great thing about this hobby, there are so many aspects to it that you can tailor it to what you want to do. And most things are considerably cheaper in real terms than when I started RC in the early 70s.

And Ray, yes I've also noticed the crazy prices people advertise their used stuff for. I consider paying a maximum of half retail price for a very good condition s/h model as reasonable.

Thread: Flair Puppeteer size
26/11/2019 22:29:39

If you are using a Puppeteer cowl it will be worth checking that your fuselage diameter matches it, and "tailoring" if necessary.

Is the cg likely to be a problem? The nose is already longer than a scale Pup, but I've never had one, so I don't know how critical it is. Plenty of help to come from others though, I'm sure!

Another option as you are providing your own wood is to keep the back end as light as possible.

Thread: New EDF Mini Jets- Jet Provost & Folland Gnat
24/11/2019 14:36:54

Just ordered the Provost plastic parts, doing mine the hard way from wood stock and plan. I'm also contemplating the red CFS scheme Ray is using on the previous page, having seen the Airfix kits in Lidl.

Thread: FrSky Taranis - user chat
21/11/2019 08:16:52

The QX7 I bought from T9 has a sticker stating LBT EU. Not sure that Bangood would put on a sticker. Also not sure that T9 would want to sort out a tranny you didn't buy from them for free!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us