By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Crook

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Crook has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: If you love the Typhoon
03/12/2018 22:39:55

I've had this one for a few years. Spent some time in the shed this evening working on fitting a 3-blade prop and better spinner to the lower kV motor that's now fitted.

dscn1036.jpg

Thread: which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?
28/11/2018 14:13:08

For normal club-sized models (.40 to .60 size) there isn't much difference in cost. Best to consider all the other pros and cons. I flew ic for the first 30-odd years of my modelling life, leccy only for the last 10. I certainly find ep far less of a faff than i.c. and, despite what others have said, much more reliable.

There is much more to wear out in an i.c. motor than an electric one, which only has the bearings as a friction surface. If solid-state electronics is properly designed, and used within its design parameters, the esc should have an extremely long life.

As for the "simplicity" of i.c. Brian Winch finds plenty to write about every month! I still read his excellent column, he is a wealth of engineering knowledge. I'm just thankful I'm no longer subject to falling off silencers, dodgy fuel or plugs, rotting tank plumbing and the various other ailments he describes fixes for.

If you plan on going flying for a day, Jon is right that there is probably less gear to take for i.c. I only tend to go to the field for a couple of hours, so take 10 or so charged batteries and 2 or 3 models to fly with them, so no field charging. This of course requires more preparation on the charging front than a couple of i.c. models would need.

The debate continues!

Thread: Twin Jet
20/11/2018 06:59:40

Best to replace the horrid Tamiya connectors, but they fly quite well with the original 6-cell setup. My son's even lasted a dozen or so flights with a 3s LiPo before the motors smoked! Now awaiting a test flight with a brushless setup.

Thread: Durafly Spitfire 1
17/11/2018 10:56:38

Indeed. And I've used the EB-G squadron codes provided by Durafly to replicate his machine.

20170423_151301.jpg

Thread: The Ohmen
17/11/2018 10:52:07

Thanks for all the detail Dean. I haven't really got space for much in the way of bench mounted tools, so I'll probably pass this one by. Looks good for the more prolific builder though.

Thread: Durafly Spitfire 1
17/11/2018 07:56:49

Looks good. I've got one of these. Probably the best looking ARTF Spitfire available.

Thread: The Ohmen
16/11/2018 08:02:10

Let us know how you get on with it Dean. I've never looked into them, so I've no idea how big they are or how much they cost. Where did you get yours from?

15/11/2018 22:26:51

Mine's approaching the covering stage. I use a variation of your rib cutting method Peter - a couple of short, pointy self-tappers screwed through the ply template rib. No problem cutting out the ribs, did them in 3 short sessions. I admit I did "sub out" cutting the ply formers to my father-in-law as he's got an electric fretsaw.

Really enjoying the build, it's the first complete plan build I've done in a few years. It's making me consider something a bit more ambitious next time.

Thread: RC Transmitters - Retail Pricing
15/11/2018 15:21:57

Yes, C8, I remember the olden days when you had to pay over £100 for a Futaba PCM receiver. You can now get a far superior 2.4GHz 6-channel receiver from Futaba or Spektrum for a few quid either side of £30. I regard that as good value for money and don't feel the need to consider "second source" receivers.

Similarly, 8-channel transmitters from those two top-selling manufacturers for less than £200 look good. Obviously there are several other makes around that offer even better value.

Thread: No space left for new models?
14/11/2018 16:41:24

Agreed that smaller models are handy and fun. I get great satisfaction flying my 1.1m Durafly warbirds, but you have to choose less windy conditions. When it blows a bit I take out my bigger models, although in my case bigger only means up to about 1.5m.

I manage to fit 12 models that are ready to take out and fly in my 8'x10' workshop and hanging from the garage roof. I normally take 3 or 4 to the field each session. This is fairly typical at the clubs I fly at, don't know about the rest of the country.

Thread: Fleet Control Systems
09/11/2018 23:31:55

Ah, yes that's right. The 27Mhz split frequencies were 25kHz apart I think (or it may have been split 20/30).

09/11/2018 07:39:58

Oh, and you can see the type approval labels in the photos earlier in this thread, to the left of the charge/buddy socket.

09/11/2018 07:36:48

Colin, when the 35Mhz band was allocated for model aircraft use, all transmitters had to be type approved by the U.K. radio testing authority - I can't remember the name of the body. Derek had to provide them with a transmitter to test, and pay quite a lot of money. The RF design then had to stay unaltered to maintain type approval. This is why most Fleet transmitters had the same, seperate, RF board. The test equipment at the shop included a spectrum analyser, which was used to check each transmitter when the r.f. section was being tuned prior to sale.

I presume Ripmax etc. had to submit imported tx's for testing but I don't recall if they came with any type approval reference, although I think it was required by law at the time.

07/11/2018 21:52:16

Colin, if you search for the Essential RC channel on YouTube, one of the latest videos is of Ernie's latest creations being test flown by my son at the FDMAC field. It's a three engined French airliner built from an old plan. A bit tail heavy, but it flew quite well once Rob got the trim sorted. Thought you might be interested that Ernie is still actively building and flying, with his venerable Fleet 35Mhz gear!

Thread: Durafly Bf109E
04/11/2018 19:05:59

Kevin, if you find the model on the Hobbyking website make sure you have the Global warehouse selected. Select the model, then scroll down until you see various tabs. One of these is labelled, confusingly, Upload Files. Select this, and you will find an option to download the manual.

The c of g diagram I posted was from the thread on RC Groups.

03/11/2018 23:02:29

Thanks Geoff.

I've had no electrical issues at all with the 109, nor indeed with its stablemate the Mk1 Spitfire. Both have now completed around 30 flights.

03/11/2018 15:40:45

Ah well, looks like I don't know how to embed a video!

03/11/2018 15:38:03

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lHLe5v_PzxQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I've done it right, this should embed the video.

03/11/2018 15:33:21

For anyone who's interested, here's a link to some video of my 109 flying in October during a last flicker of summer. Not pleased with the landing, I came in a bit hot and I think it hit a bump. Settled well eventually though.

https://youtu.be/lHLe5v_PzxQ

Thread: Ballerina
31/10/2018 14:14:41

First picture is what it looks like now, with a "Destiny" elliptical wing. Original configuration shown in following photos. I changed the u/c to a fuselage mounted torsion bar arrangement purely from personal preference. The motor is an E-Max BL2820/07 which I think from memory is 900kV. Again from memory, I think the prop is 13x6 to give about 450W. Lovely flier on the original wing, even better with the elliptical but I wouldn't bother with that complication if I were you - just build as per plan and enjoy!l

ballerina e 001.jpg

ballerina 002.jpg

ballerina 001.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us