By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Crook

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Crook has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hmmm
03/01/2019 13:24:14

I remember years ago when the late, great Sir Bruce Forsyth was presenting the original run of the Generation Game. There was much newspaper tittle-tattle about him at the time, and he took the unusual step of rebuffing some of it on the show. He concluded with "if you look at the front page, in small letters, you will find the date. That's the only bit you know to be the truth".

Thread: New Tv. It's Good But...........
03/01/2019 13:15:20

Percy, you mentioned early in the thread that you had a freesat box, but presumably the problems you describe are when you are watching through the aerial derived input to the TV?

We have iffy freeview reception, so some years ago I bought a Humax freesat PVR, which gives faultless reception on all channels. We replaced the (Samsung) TV last year with an LG model, and this gives much improved freeview reception (and also has a freesat tuner if I could be bothered to run a third cable from the dish). I wonder if my newer set has a more sensitive tuner, or built-in 4g filtering. I am surprised your newer set appears worse than the old one. Make sure it's tuned into the optimum transmitter/region etc. I had to select options during tuning to acheive this.

Most of the time we just watch via the PVR, although I sometimes look at freeview. Occasionally, the BBC SD channels are poor, but the HD ones are fine. As said above, they are on different multiplexers.

Amazing that we could get a UHD 49" branded smart TV for under £400, but such offers are commonplace.

Edited By Trevor Crook on 03/01/2019 13:16:54

Thread: Don't just stand there, get one up!
01/01/2019 19:59:54

Lost in admiration! Beyond my building skills and stamina, I'll probably do some credit card "modelling" with the new Avios 1450mm MkV. Looks really good.

Thread: IMAX B6 Clone fault...
28/12/2018 07:33:07

My son had a similar fault on a charger (can't remember the brand) from new, bought from Giant Cod some years ago. No amount of button pushing would fix it, so they exchanged it.

Thread: Mosquito Cof G
26/12/2018 10:58:37

Wise words Jon. I have a Black Horse Mossie which flies very well and has never bitten me, using your landing technique, which I use for all my warbirds.

When I get a chance I'll see where the c of g is as a percentage of chord, and report back.

Thread: Christmas films worth recording
17/12/2018 21:41:55

Not sure if it's on (but it probably is), but National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation is one of my guilty pleasures at this time of year.

16/12/2018 13:45:37

Yes, apparently the models/modellers weren't in the credits as the film company didn't want to admit models had been used. I must check the credits when I next watch my DVD! Silly really, as anyone with half a brain must realise that you wouldn't blow up real aircraft in flight, or, probably, on the ground. Full-size models were used for the latter.

16/12/2018 07:53:29

Just read an article on filming the BoB by one of the pilots of the Mitchell camera plane. He says it's the most dangerous job he did, but they got some tremendous footage. One filming session was above cloud over the wash, and a Vulcan emerged up from the clouds and climbed through their formation! Unfortunately the cameraman in the tail turret was so shocked he didn't get footage of the cold war jet bomber flying with WW2 propellor driven fighters.

Great film, still looks good on modern big tvs as it was filmed in 70mm.

Thread: The Ohmen
10/12/2018 22:48:37

I wrapped up well Geoff! The sun was peeping through and as the wind was light it didn't feel too cold. As there were more than a dozen of us lucky retirees at the field I did as much chatting as flying! Two enjoyable flights with the Ohmen and another two with the excellent Flightline Bearcat made for an excellent morning.

10/12/2018 13:37:09

Maidened mine (shown above) this morning. As expected, no issues, she's a great flier. I've propped it for about 320W full throttle (12x7) and performance is good, just short of unlimited verticle. Take-offs can be done on little more than half throttle. Nicely aerobatic and a doddle to land.

Well done again Peter!

06/12/2018 22:20:22

Well, I asked him and he thinks he picked it up in a charity shop - he always scouts the toy collection for potential pilots!

05/12/2018 19:08:12

Ken, I knew someone would ask me that, and I can't remember. I think my father-in-law gave it to me ages ago, I'll see if he remembers. It may have come from some ancient Dick Dastardly model.

05/12/2018 13:07:29

Thanks, Peter. Yes, the forecast isn't great for the foreseeable future. I've no worries about the maiden, she looks right just like the Ballerina.

Thread: If you love the Typhoon
05/12/2018 07:10:00

No problem hiding the outrunner and esc in my one pictured above! Cooling air exits via the exhaust stubs.

The Typhoon is a good subject to model, as said above easy to hide the engine, and a nice thick wing for the u/c. Short nose though, the Tempest is better in that respect, but it does have a thinner wing.

Thread: The Ohmen
04/12/2018 21:41:51

Well, my Ohmen is ready to go - needs a spinner to finish it off and good weather when I have free time. Peter's pictures of his model reminded me a bit of a Miles Magister with those tandem cockpits. Hence, as I had plenty of Hobbyking yellow film and some leftover foamy warbird roundels, I've made a cartoon Magister

p1010431.jpg

p1010428.jpg

With a cartoon pilot of course!

p1010429.jpg

Here's the battery access. I've used a dowel at the front and magnets at the back. Trust me Peter, that hatch is never going to detach in flight, I can pick the model up by the headrest!

p1010430.jpg

The 2200 3s LiPo sits in front of the block of balsa on the back of the battery tray, held down by a Velcro strap. Power measurement gives about 400W, the model weighs 3lb (inc. battery) so it should go ok. Peter, the quoted weight in the article is 2lb 10oz. Is that sans battery, or have I just built heavy? I'm not too worried either way, there's plenty of wing.

Can't wait to try her, will report back when I have.

Thread: New Sopwith Pup from DBSportandScale
04/12/2018 07:41:01

Oh, and I see it now Geoff - I'd quickly skimmed it looking for a picture of a Pup!

04/12/2018 07:16:45

I reckon either would work well, although being all leccy I'd go your route Geoff. I wonder if it caters for easy battery access? Tricky on that type of machine.

03/12/2018 22:48:46

Sounds my kind of size Graham, but couldn't see any mention of it on their website. Where did you see it?

Thread: If you love the Typhoon
03/12/2018 22:39:55

I've had this one for a few years. Spent some time in the shed this evening working on fitting a 3-blade prop and better spinner to the lower kV motor that's now fitted.

dscn1036.jpg

Thread: which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?
28/11/2018 14:13:08

For normal club-sized models (.40 to .60 size) there isn't much difference in cost. Best to consider all the other pros and cons. I flew ic for the first 30-odd years of my modelling life, leccy only for the last 10. I certainly find ep far less of a faff than i.c. and, despite what others have said, much more reliable.

There is much more to wear out in an i.c. motor than an electric one, which only has the bearings as a friction surface. If solid-state electronics is properly designed, and used within its design parameters, the esc should have an extremely long life.

As for the "simplicity" of i.c. Brian Winch finds plenty to write about every month! I still read his excellent column, he is a wealth of engineering knowledge. I'm just thankful I'm no longer subject to falling off silencers, dodgy fuel or plugs, rotting tank plumbing and the various other ailments he describes fixes for.

If you plan on going flying for a day, Jon is right that there is probably less gear to take for i.c. I only tend to go to the field for a couple of hours, so take 10 or so charged batteries and 2 or 3 models to fly with them, so no field charging. This of course requires more preparation on the charging front than a couple of i.c. models would need.

The debate continues!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us