By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Tom Satinet

Here is a list of all the postings Tom Satinet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Speedo
31/01/2012 18:53:35
I don't know but most models I know have one servo for the elevator and one for the rudder. not three. not for a 60 incher anyway.
31/01/2012 16:51:08
Rob - re the mk3. What is the wing actually made like?

Okay I assume it means "Fibre Reinforced Plastic". Sounds interesting - how does it differ from the moulded models we are used to? Does it have a spar in? etc

Looks like it should go pretty quick.

Tom

p.s and why has the servo tray in the fuse got holes for 3 servos......?

Edited By Tom Satinet on 31/01/2012 16:52:19

Thread: Next step after Diamond 2500?
26/01/2012 11:40:16
There are at least two types of BoTs around. The ARTF and the kit built. I bet you can convert both to electric. Obviously the kit build is more work.
In fact I beieve that there is a plan available for the BoT from before it was kitted by a manufacturer and there is a smaller (mini?) bird of time plan as well (correct me if I am wrong BoT fans).

There is also the visually similar Bird series from: www.skybench.com

Like I say loads of models out there. Just depends on cost and build requirements.
22/01/2012 17:20:31
maybe speak to Neil at hyperflight.
He's big in to electric soaring and sells some nice stuff.
e.g
http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/products.asp?code=BINGO&name=bingo-2-5m-aka-pulsar-2-5e

There's loads of models out there to choose from.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your comment about non powered gliders being hard to fly. They aren't - you just can't power the motor to gain height again.
Thread: What Category ?
20/01/2012 13:51:33
Ava - very nice model.

f3f and f3b are indeed unpowered - most glider flying is unpowered - the clue is the name
http://www.f3b-team-germany-2011.de/wasen.htm
http://www.rc-soar.com/bmfa_league/f3f.htm

f5j sounds cool - sounds pretty hard also.
20/01/2012 09:18:54
Yes, but not in electro soaring.
F3F and F3B for me.

My experience of competition flying is that people are friendly and glad to have you.

In terms of F5J though I don't think there is actually a league at the moment in the UK - it is still a new class. Get yourself on esoaring and they will point you in the right direction I am sure. 

Edited By Tom Satinet on 20/01/2012 09:21:05

19/01/2012 14:01:02
you could probably fly it in one of the electric classes (and f5j etc).
this site might be helpful:
http://www.esoaring.net/
Thread: Do they help or hinder
18/01/2012 11:45:18
Ricky,
airbrakes are to stop you gliding - they are a landing aid not a "Flying aid" as such.
Flaps can aid gliding performance by allowing the model to fly more efficiently at the speed it is flying at (etc.)

Bringing you flaps down should allow you to fly more slowly more effectively than it would just be flying slow without them. This could help you stay in a thermal more easily. But i doubt the model is super quick.

I'm afraid you are the only thermal catching device you have (unless you use a vario!)

T
Thread: Radian Pro - your thoughts?
18/01/2012 11:41:30
It seems like there is a lot of unsupported elevator snake on the model.
Thread: HK Dynamic-S
17/01/2012 19:01:29
Posted by Lee Smalley on 17/01/2012 18:10:53:
A clone of a clone

hehe. Exactly what I was gonna say...

Thread: Aurora 9 crow /butterfly programming?
17/01/2012 15:24:43
I'm becoming a little peed off with the system.
yeah it's good for the money, but you can't bring everything back and excuse it because it is cheap to buy the tx.
The telemetry system for me is very disappointing as you need to install a sensor station in each model - this is about 37mm long - no room for this in a skinny glider fuse. And there are more than one type of station (it also requires to wires from the RX).
The programming is decent (for the money!), but I will be looking at the new jeti once it comes out. Or if there is a new offering from multiplex.
I don't think having proportional control over both throttle and crow off the same stick is that much of a big ask tbh.
17/01/2012 12:06:15
Posted by Mike Phillips on 16/01/2012 16:59:22:
Hi I have just received a reply to my mail to Hitec re the above question i dont understand it yet as havent got as far as flight conditions yet but it may mean something to you guys!!!!!!!

best wishes

Mike

Hello Mike,
Thank you for choosing Hitec products. You could create a flight
condition in which the throttle curve is set to zero, and it would activate
your crow at the same time.

Thank you,

Billy Tompkins
Customer Service Rep.
Hitec RCD, LLC
Multiplex USA
Phone (858) 748- 8440
Fax (858) 859-2618
12115 Paine St.
Poway CA, 92064

Not sure what he means. What throttle curve?
I will have to go back and have another look, it seemed to me that the only way to use throttle, without a work around, was on a switch, in glider mode.
13/01/2012 19:45:50
Hi Mike,

I have had fiddle around with it and see exactly the problem you are talking about. As standard there is no way to use a proportional throttle control in the glider model type, that I can see.

I have tried playing with P-mixes and while you can mix one aux channel controlled by the throttle stick in to another and switch it on/off it still doesn't work. What happens is that when it goes to "off" the channel returns to the mid point rather than the lower endpoint. So you would still be at 50% throttle.

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Tom

13/01/2012 11:42:36
can you change the control for the throttle servo to the throttle stick? You know in the menu where it assigns servos to controls, like J1, J2, J3.

If so then it is probably just a case of telling the a9 to switch on/off each thing. You can definitely switch off crow on a switch. I haven't tried a model with a motor yet (because I don't own any!).

I don't have my tx with me at the moment, but I can look at it later.
Thread: Where To Get A Bubble Dancer ?
12/01/2012 10:04:33
there's some nice kit/wood 2m stuff here. Electric or non.
http://www.hoelleinshop.com/e-vendo.php?shop=hoellein_e
Thread: Luna II setup with DX8
10/01/2012 19:19:14
The hitec a9 is good.
You have up to 8 flight phases and all the mixes you need. Every mix can have a different setting in each of the 8 flight phases. It has a simple menu for the mixes and a touch screen.
It's not as advanced as some the high end stuff but for the money you can't really go wrong. It's not perfect but then what is, and you are paying not much for a lot of TX.
10/01/2012 17:27:33
Tbh if you are intending to get in to gliders you might be better of cutting your losses and just getting a proper transmitter instead. You could get a second job to pay for it with the amount of time it will consume

I know that doesn't help but it will be the same nonsense with the next model and the one after that.

Everyone who comes up the slope from a power or non-flying background with any sort of spektrum transmitter, that I've seen, ends up getting something else eventually (or quite quickly). I guess you could exclude the dsx9 from that because it is the same as the JR9X2 (correct me if I am wrong). Although I haven't seen a glider convert sporting one of those as yet.

I'm not trying to be negative, just honest.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 17:28:15

10/01/2012 12:37:24
the hitec a9 handles things pretty well for gliders. this set up would not even be an issue.

Not sure on what level the dx8 is more advanced than say a graupner mc24, futaba mz14, profi 4000, 12fg or whatever, but then we are talking spektrum marketing, I guess.
Thread: Ideas for a Slope Glider
10/01/2012 10:38:38
Also you might be surprised at what ARTF foam/veneer models cost.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 10:38:53

10/01/2012 10:23:49
the ace was a decent model. Bit more akin to the middle phase than the phase 6 I guess.

I've been told these are decent, especially for the price:
http://www.sloughrc.com/default.asp?itemid=A-FFB007
 No direct experience though.

What's wrong with using ballast btw?
Doesn't have to be complicated, especially with a models like the phase 6, where you can just mount a few metal plates on a bolt, or something, inside the fuselage.

Edited By Tom Satinet on 10/01/2012 10:27:25

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!