By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Colbourne

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Colbourne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: dope lifespan
21/01/2020 14:43:23

Thunderstreak, Like you, I looked at the H Marcel Guest site last night and saw the 12 month mention. That is most likely intended for full-size users and is the peiod in which HMG would entertain any complaint about deterioration in quality.

Even in full-size circles, 'use by' dates can be extended subject to the material passing an appropriate test. This is particularly the case with epoxies for which a 'coupon' (test sample) would be kept, and a tensile test piece done if appropriate.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/01/2020 14:43:34

Thread: engine refurb
20/01/2020 16:29:54

Hi Richard,

I used to use oe which came in a small can with a brush in the lid. It was quite effective but left the engines looking a bit grey. I think Betterware did it.

A lot of carbon removers contain Sodium Hydroxide, so aren't safe for aluminum. This one advertises that it is ok:
Repairing Products - 'Carbon Off' carbon remover

This is the data sheet: Carbon Off Technical Data Report

Carbon-Off! Burnt on carbon remover

If you have an engine or silencer you're not too sentimentally attached to, I would try whatever you use on that first.

Thread: Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?
19/01/2020 23:25:27
Posted by Chris Channon on 19/01/2020 11:56:23:

Yamammotto, Premier Preceptor, Precedent Hi-Boy, Precedent Bi-Fly.

Chris, you've just answered a question I've been meaning to ask, namely, 'Who made the Preceptor?'
I borrowed one from a friend to give lessons for quite a long while, but never knew who kitted it. Apart from rather too soft main legs that were forever bending back, it was a wonderful four channel trainer, and flew really well on an OS35FP. The one I flew had a silicone tube from the outlet on the silencer to just by the right hand main wheel, so it didn't get covered in goo either.
I can't find a picture of a Preceptor anywhere though. For those that have never seen one, it looks like a slightly anorexic MFA Yamamoto.

There are lots of good suggestions coming through. I would never have thought of the F-27 Stryker, but I take Kiwikid's point. Maybe the original question should be broken down by decades? The Tauri and Ugly Stick are definitely classics; the Ugly Stick, in particular, being much copied through the years, and even influencing such classics in their own right as the GWS Pico Stick; I bet that would have surprised Phil Kraft!

Thread: how to launch a glider
18/01/2020 20:54:21

That reminds me of trying to hand launch a Galaxy Wizard with the Solarfilmed fuselage covered in castor oil. As soon as the throttle was opened the nose would tip down causing the prop to try and slash my wrist.
Happy Days!!! laugh

Thread: Do you love some of your engines so much you don't fly them?
18/01/2020 14:10:18
Posted by Nigel R on 18/01/2020 13:11:02:

Crikey

Fancy selling any?

I'm looking out for a nice pumped os 46 sf...

Typical! its always the good engines people want to part with. Its never, "Got a mk1 MDS40, Flash 35, or a Merco 35, caked in burnt-on castor?' laugh

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/01/2020 14:16:15

Thread: Hi from me and my KK Fairey Gannet build
17/01/2020 20:09:55

How about using the mechanics of an electric contra-rotating helicopter to drive the propellers? A walk around any decent sized car boot sale should yield at least one.

Alternatively these flying balls sell for under a fiver.

Flying Ball Contra Rotating Helicopter

If you want to see a complicated model, check out this control line Gannet from 1963. Two engines and 24 bearings in the gearbox: Bruce Randle's 1963 control line Fairey Gannet

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 17/01/2020 20:10:20

Thread: Trendsetters and Iconic Models over the Years?
17/01/2020 12:49:09
Posted by Dave Cunnington on 17/01/2020 12:18:35:

How about the Thunder Tiger Trainer ?

Flair Cub ?

Both good calls Dave! No shortage of either in their time.

17/01/2020 12:10:51
Posted by wingcoax on 16/01/2020 23:43:07:

Robin, what about the "mascot"

Wingcoax, I guess it depends where you are. I've only ever seen/flown one DB Mascot, but they may well be the default trainer in some clubs.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 17/01/2020 12:11:03

16/01/2020 22:49:56

Trendsetters:

Power: Dan Santich Hots, Smith Special

Glider: Zagi, Le Fish

Most Common:

Trainer: Yamamoto, Super 60, DB Tyro Major, Telemaster, Hiboy

Sport Power: 

Chris Foss Wot 4 (like opinions in a model club, everyone's got one!), Mick Reeves Gangster, Avicraft Panic, Flair Magnatilla & Puppeteer

Glider: Veron Impala, Graupner Cirrus, Chris Foss Phase 6

Most Iconic:

Power: Curare, Atlas

Glider: Alpina, Wildflecken

What do you reckon?

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 16/01/2020 22:56:24

Thread: 1980's Ripmax Trainer Plans Found
16/01/2020 21:28:20

Rich,

Great find!

Is there any chance of getting your Ripmax Trainer plan uploaded to Outerzone, so we could all benefit from it?

Robin

Thread: Do you love some of your engines so much you don't fly them?
15/01/2020 13:06:39
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 15/01/2020 11:40:34:

I am surprised someone doesn't build a pusher, IC pod and boom trainer with a 40 sized engine, rather like an MPX EasyStar on steroids. The engine would not be first on the scene of the accident so no more broken props or cylinders. The wing could be banded on. The boom carbon fibre and the fuselage pod could be replaced easily if it was totalled. Just a thought. smile p

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 15/01/2020 11:41:42

A good point Piers, the main reasons that I can see would be the amount of weight getting it to balance and difficulty of starting it without an electric starter. Probably easy enough once you have the knack, but we're talking about a beginner's model here.

The other thing is it would need to be pretty stiff, as the tails on this layout tend to flap around a quite a bit on a slenderish boom, with the tail surfaces vibrating from the engine and the propwash. It is an excellent layout for an electric trainer, hence the reason there are so many like this.

15/01/2020 11:32:12

On a trip to the USA in 1988, I bought an OS20FS from America's Hobby Center in New York. I used it for several years to power a secondhand three channel Cambria Instructor 20 on which I have given many beginner's lessons, including take offs and landings. As I have just moved to a club with a tarmac runway, I think I might retire the engine and put in something with a bit less nostalgic value.

If you are prepared to accept the odd broken fin or some burnt on castor, there are still plenty of perfectly usable engines which can be picked up for under £30, leaving the 'family heirlooms' as you would wish to keep them.

Thread: Selling vintage kits question
11/01/2020 17:22:13
Posted by Cuban8 on 11/01/2020 17:08:19:

How about listing the kits here? I'm sure we could suggest what would be a reasonable/realistic value for them and possibly identify something rare or unusual? Where they eventually get sold will be up to the vendor.

Great idea! If there are any airframes that need identifying, the collective grey matter on this forum should manage it.

11/01/2020 13:52:01

If you sell some of them 'for your Gran' then Capital Gains Tax probably won't be an issue. Also selling off a good collection takes time, so it may well take you more than one tax year.

Regarding selling:

1. Don't expect any sort of stall at a boot sale, even if modelling specific, to get good prices. People go to them for bargains. Smaller items such as engines can get pilfered and kits get damaged or lose small parts.
  2. If you are prepared for the effort, eBay is your best bet. They do weekends once every two or three weeks when the total selling fees per item are £1 (up to 100 items). Write your listings and take photos in advance of such a weekend, and aim to have the auctions finishing between 8pm and 10pm on Sunday evening.
  3. The wider the market you offer to, the better the final prices will be. For example, German kit collectors will pay good money for German kits which are complete and boxed.
  4. A fully itemised list of the contents and close up pictures of all the parts, particularly any damage you describe, will reassure buyers.
  5. Spend time researching what you have and what it is worth. An accurate description with all the key words and numbers gets people interested.
  6. Make sure you use all 12 photos you are allowed.
  7. Don't underestimate the time, effort and cost of materials in packing.
  8. Be aware that postage/courier prices go up a lot once you get over 120cm (48" long.
  9. Interparcel are good for gauging the cost of delivery to different countries.
  10. With regard to the best time to sell; yes, let people clear their Christmas debts first.
  11. People often want what they would have liked to have had when they were in their teens/early
  12. 20s, but couldn't afford then. Once kids have flown the nest and they have the trime, money and space, they start getting nostalgic for those things, e.g. BMX bikes, mopeds, 70s aerobatic models and gliders. They generally want them in good condition too.
  13. To many collectors, the condition of the kit/engine box is as important as the contents. As well as bubble wrapping the contents, bubble wrap around the box and allow an inch or two of crush space, so if your outer packaging gets damaged, the kit box and contents don't.
  14. Glue shipping boxes with PVA. It makes them much stronger and more crush resistant than tape will.
  15. Make sure you courier insures for the full value, it may cost you extra to cover for the full value, once you get over £25 or £50.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 11/01/2020 14:12:55

Thread: What size model?
11/01/2020 13:07:16

Some people measure up their car and then build the model. Others take the model round the car dealerships, until they find a car in which it will fit fully assembled.

Thread: If I fit floats to my Senior Telemaster will I need a more powerful engine?
10/01/2020 12:53:01
Posted by David Davis on 09/01/2020 14:06:54:

Otherwise I could build a Telemaster 40 fuselage and tailplane. I still have the wing. It broke off one day when I was demonstrating the model to a potential buyer! That'll teach me!

What are your views?

Whilst I don't know what glues you used to build your models as land planes, I would have thought a new fuselage for the Telemaster 40 would be a good approach to take. You can build the fuselage with waterproof glues from the outset, and install hardpoints for the rear float mounts. If the wing and tail surfaces need recovering, a fillet of waterproof glue could be added at each joint whilst you're at it.

Thread: Phone APP for RPM reading.
04/01/2020 16:31:09
Posted by Chris Walby on 04/01/2020 13:18:39:

Peter,

I asked a garage attendant about using a mobile phone in a potentially explosive atmosphere and they were quite clear that the phone is to be used to read the pump code while inside the vehicle. Hope that clarifies the position on the use of potential sources of energy within this type of hazardous area (I have a CompEx qualification for Hazardous areas), but like the USA no system if fool proof to the ingenious fool.

As for the tacho, I agree that a suitable tool for the purpose is best for fault finding although Jon's method works for 99% of the time for me. wink

Great, if you've arrived on a motorcycle or walked down with your gallon container for the mower. Do you have to put the roof up on a convertible before using the app?

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 04/01/2020 16:31:51

Thread: Bob Wright's HM 18 Flying Flea as modified by Abbott Baynes. 53.5" wingspan.
04/01/2020 15:28:14

Henri Mignet used his own wing section on the HM14. It along with several other features of the aircraft could lead to problems. This is what Darryl Stinton wrote in 'The Design of the Aeroplane':

The wings had a section invented by Mignet, with a sharp leading edge. Control in pitch was achieved by changing the angle of incidence of the foreplane by a direct linkage with the stick. Maximum incidence was limited to only about 4.8 deg on a specimen tested in the 24 ft (7.3 m) wind tunnel at the Royal Aircraft Establishment, Farnborough (ref 4.19). It is possible that the pitch control lacked authority, and that the lack would have been worsened by the tendency of a sharp leading edge to force premature separation and loss of lift at moderate angles of attack.

There is more of his article here: Nest of Dragons - Flying Flea Teething Problems

As a side note, the site of the Abbott's Factory, was next to the secondary school I attended. A 'Red Wheel' plaque was recently unveiled on the Co-op which now occupies the site. Abbott's also built the Scud series of pre-war gliders, hence the reason the Flying Flea pictured came from the nearby Gliding Heritage Centre at Lasham Airfield.

Flying Flea replica outside Abbott Baynes factory, Farnham, Surrey.

Thread: Orchestra on your patch
18/12/2019 18:10:28

In the days of crystals and switching on before checking their frequency:

Queen... Another one bites the dust

Thread: CAA registration take-up?
15/12/2019 18:12:47

Thank you for all the suggestions.

My friend is a BMFA member, and has been for donkey's years. He also partially sighted. He wouldn't ever be flying alone and generally I launch the models for him when we go out flying, so technically it is me flying them, but I'm sure as they are his models he would like to be 'legal' too.

It sounds as though the easiest option, when I next see him, would be for me to talk him through the online test, asking him the questions and entering the answers he gives.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us