By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Colbourne

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Colbourne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ebay sellers...
29/06/2020 13:55:35

Peter, Your father was clearly a courageous man. I guess if he had had a gun jam in combat, having two guns must have given him more reassurance, protection and opportunities. From what Wikipedia says, it took considerable strength to move and operate two guns on a Scarff ring, which is why they reverted to a single gun again after the war.

Did your father ever say how he managed to avoid shooting his own aircraft when using a Scarff ring? I can't see any reference to interrupter equipment.

Scarff Ring - Wikipedia

I'll ask on the Facebook group foir First World War Aircraft if anyone can help with a picture of a DVII in the colour scheme you describe. I can't find any reference to a 'Von Baun' Could it have been Konstantin Von Braun's Jagdstaffel 24?

You may be interested in reading about your father's aircraft, A7815 here, in the post by 'Vulcanworks' on 6 June 2008, 03:04 PM . Double Lewis gun on A7815

The colour scheme you describe is similar to that of Gottard Sachsenberg. Wikipedia describes his 'Marine Jagdgruppe Flander' as, '...switched from the Albatros to Fokker D.VIIs in June 1918. They were as colorfully and distinctively marked as Manfred von Richthofen's "Flying Circus" (Jagdgeschwader I), with the basic color scheme being yellow and black, as a yellow and black checkerboard had been Sachsenberg's personal motif, and it was spread to the entire unit, with minor variations marking the different pilots.'

29/06/2020 12:34:38
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/06/2020 11:49:51:

Ah Well,I am far from an expert on German WW1 colour schemes.

I do know one though. Von Baun's STaffel one Fokker DVII was all yellow witha black chequerboard across the top wing between the crosses.

This was the aircraft that shot my father down!!! He got a close view of that one but didn't get it.

Peter, Was your father William Miller, flying with George Darvill in a DH4? I only ask because I found this:

Reconaissance & Bomber Aces of WW1 - William Miller (Page 37 Left hand side)

Its surprising how effective the two seaters were against the single seaters in the First World War. Presumably why the RAF thought the Defiant was worth getting in WWII.

28/06/2020 22:29:37
Posted by Kevin Fairgrieve on 28/06/2020 21:16:57:

secret How much!!!!

Flair Puppeter

Why oh why does he say it was modelled on an Albatros DIII? THe Albatros has an inline engine with a big spinner, a fairly rounded fuselage and wingtips swept the other way.
Oh, hang on, the Albatros had black crosses too, that must be it!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 28/06/2020 22:31:12

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
26/06/2020 13:42:02

For clubs to survive, its vital that a club represents all its members. A limit on the number of years that someone can be on the committee, and having committee members from those still under training and all disciplines flown, help to keep things fresh. Its very easy for cliques to form, particularly if separate sites are required for gliders and power, and these are often the death knell for a club.

A club Facebook group page is a good way for peopel to stay in touch and for newcomers to learn the names and faces of the other members.

A friend in an amateur radio club told me how they had what amounted to a coup to depose the club chairman who would not accept any change from the newer/younger members. The club was in danger of having the bulk of the membership leave and setup afresh. By the sounds of it the club chairman had a progressive mental illness and would not listen to anyone else's point of view on just about anything.

Thread: How Windy is Too Windy
26/06/2020 13:06:30

There are only two sorts of weather; building and flying. :-D

Thread: Blue Foam
25/06/2020 12:34:06

Erfolg, Here is a price list. Note that the prices are for a pack. Ravatherm - Extruded Polystrene Foam Price List

Thread: Matching an engine to an airframe.
25/06/2020 11:46:43

David, The Outerzone plan shows a K&B Torpedo .35 two stroke engine. That is from the days before Schneurle porting which greatly increased two stroke performance. Your SC52FS should be more than match for it. Having said that, I would expect most fliers these days to put a .70 four stroke in a model that size (72" span, although it would not represent the original in flight, except on low throttle settings.

If you make the engine bay area large enough to accommodate a .70FS, and start with your .52, you can always upgrade if you think you need it.

If you are scaling to suit your engine and thinking in current day performance, around 63" would be about right.

Personally I would just go with 72" span and keep the airframe as light as possible. Do put a servo on each aileron though.

Edit:   By the time I hit reply, Jon and John had already replied.  There is clearly a bit of a concensus going!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 25/06/2020 11:50:18

Thread: Prostate Cancer
24/06/2020 22:38:53

HI Andy,

Largely on account of reading this thread and a having displayed a few of the usual symptoms, I went for a check up. Fortunately all clear on the PSA front. It's easy to be complacent until its too late though, so I would encourage everyone on here to get tested.

To all those that have posted so far, keep up the good work!

Best wishes
Robin

Thread: Is the hobby dying/dead
24/06/2020 15:20:17
Posted by gangster on 24/06/2020 15:08:40:

Most points raised here are probably valid reasons for the change. Something that had gone through my mind over recent years is lack of exposure to the hobby. How do people know it exists and how do they start? Up til about 20 or30 years ago every town however small appeared to have either a model shop or a sports and hobbies shop with a modelling section I can think of three smallish towns round here that had two.We shopped in the towns in those days. How many of us were hooked by looking in the shop window etc. So how does the “man or boy in the street get his introduction. How many of us started spending our pocket money on Kiel Kraft kits in the local sports shop hardware store bike shop etc etc.

Gangster, the strange thing now is that despite, as you say, less shops stocking kits, you probably see more signs of model flying in parks than we did then. Sure a lot will be drones, but not all.

I don't ever recall coming across people flying free flight or control line in parks or recreation grounds when I was young (early 1970s), yet our town had three shops (one toyshop, one sports shop and one model shop) selling Keilkraft & Veron models back then.

24/06/2020 14:46:09
Posted by Barrie Lever on 24/06/2020 14:27:12:

Enjoy your hobby, let other people know you are enjoying and there will be people who think that they would like some of that action.

Regards

Barrie

Well said Barrie!

24/06/2020 11:44:29

Model flying is and always has been a new and applied technology based hobby, so as with technology anywhere, it is continually evolving. First Person Video and drones are probably the main things that attract newcomers, and particularly youngsters, into the hobby. Like a lot of us, they will chop and change their focus once they are 'in'.

The rise of electric flight has also meant that a club is not essential for flying smaller models. A sports field, park or farmer's field will often suffice. Simulators mean that there is a fighting chance that some of these flights may even be successful. If not, the EPP construction is at least rather more forgiving than stick and tissue.

The other factor is that new entrants to the hoby are not necessarily youngsters. Pressures of careers,family and finances often mean that people are starting in their 50s or even older. Back in the mid-1990s I taught an adult education class, building and flying R/C models. I was in my late 20s at the time, and the second youngest one there. The bulk of the pupils were in their 40s to 60s with a few in their 70s and 80s.

The last factor is the failure over the years for clubs to invest in their own flying sites. I have been in so many clubs where the majority of committee meetings are about finding and retaining flying sites and having to suck up to the latest whim of the landowner; or go through the whole rigmarole again whilst losing members in the process. Buying a site will never be cheap, but any club planning to be around for the long term should definitely think of doing so. A bit of stability means that facilities such as toilets, clubrooms and model prep tables can be provided. Once you have on-site toilets and BBQ facilities, going to the flying field can be a family outing, which gives the social side that other sports thrive upon.

You only need to look around the multitude of niche Facebook groups to see that model building and flying is still popular. We are fortunate to have a hobby in which the recent lockdown was a benefit to get long term projects moving and that attic of ARTFs assembled and ready to go. The average modeller's mental health is probably in a lot better state than most of the locked down population by now.

Thread: Fokker DV111
19/06/2020 21:23:07

She's looking good Dwain!

Here's a peanut DVIII with a laminated rudder profile. Aero Era Peanut Fokker DVIII

The advantage of the laminated outline is that all the grain is in the right direction, whereas a built up or sheet rudder with lightening holes is going to have some areas with grain in directions prone to splitting.

Here's a description of creating a laminated outline: Laminated outlines rudder/wingtps etc.

You could always build the model, cover, finish and leave the rudder to last. If she's looking ok C of G-wise, go with the plan rudder; if not, go for the laminated one.

Robin

18/06/2020 22:40:32

Dwain, I'll be following this with interest, as its one on my 'roundtuit' list.

I would be very tempted to make a bare minimum built up rudder (laminated 1/16x1/32" outline), as I can't see this model coming out nose heavy
Robin

Thread: la.40 in an Acrowot artf?
18/06/2020 22:34:07

Simon, As buying new glow engines means you are finishing in a small and ever diminishing pond, how about seeing if someone has a useable one they would loan or sell on approval?  If you are in a club, try asking around to see if anyone has an engine they don't use anymore. If you were happy with the performance of the 65LA, then most ballraced .50 to .60 size engines should be a comparable replacement.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 18/06/2020 22:34:56

Thread: What is this model?
17/06/2020 18:16:40

Bob beat me to it. Its definitely Laser 200, Slick 360 or Stephens Akro-ish.

Thread: Gone,but not forgotten kit mfg
15/06/2020 11:48:42

Whilst people with memories of the models and manufacturers are still around, it would be really good if a database of British R/C models and manufacturers over the years could be compiled. It would be great if we could capture some history on the people behind the models as well as the development and manufacture of the aircraft themselves.

Clearly this would be a lot of work, and it would be ideal if it could be in a format in which anyone could add to it, with a moderator checking submissions. Is there any such software that would allow this? I'm aware of Outerzone, whcih is really good, but something more like http://wiki.rc-network.de.

I have a mystery aerobatic slope soarer kit, called a Sidewinder. I think my brother bought at a Sandown Expo in the late 70s or early 80s. It has a fibreglass fuselage & foam wing and a hand drawn and copied plan. There is no manufacturer's name or address though. Has anyone ever heard of it? Where was it made and by whom?

Thread: Diesel vs glow on a .5cc engine
12/06/2020 18:51:45
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 12/06/2020 18:33:00:

The smell of burnt nitro in the morning is one thing but the aroma of ether will hang around your cloths (and house) for ever and may lead to domestic strife!

Piers, The lingering smell is most likely to be from the paraffin or castor from unburnt fuel. Ether will evaporate away pretty rapidly.

I would second Peter Jenkins and recommend a Mills .75, of which ever type (original, Indian, Irvine, Boddo, etc).  Power can be reduced if necessary by turning a larger prop, which will have the added benefit of reducing the already limited noise still further.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 12/06/2020 19:00:32

Thread: Ebay sellers...
10/06/2020 23:47:30

Anyone in need of a crankcase for their JEN 37? Jen 37 Crankcase

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 10/06/2020 23:47:52

Thread: Control linkages
07/06/2020 20:39:25

Hi Murat

I agree with you. A screw crushing a piece of unidirectional carbonfibre rod is asking for it to crush and break up, leading to a loss of control authority. Epoxying on a snake end or binding a piece of steel rod (softer than piano wire would be desirable) on to the end of the carbon rod would be a better approach.

Robin

Thread: Cox 0.49 Aeromodeller magazine ad from the 70`s
07/06/2020 11:43:36

Although there was a Cox style tank available as a spare for the DC Wasp, they later produced the DC Bee with the tank supplied, and the beam mountings removed.

DC Bee

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!