By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Robin Colbourne

Here is a list of all the postings Robin Colbourne has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: CAA registration take-up?
15/12/2019 00:41:41

Last night I was chatting to a friend who is 87 and flies free flight. He has never flown R/C or used a computer. He mentioned that something he had read something in Aeromodeller which would mean he is now grounded. I thought I would check what the required test consists of, but when I had a look at the CAA site, I would have had to enter name address etc.

Can anyone enlighten me what a non-computer using free flighter and BMFA member will have to do to be able to fly models over 250 grams?

Thread: Christmas Present for a Two Year-Old.
13/12/2019 21:01:30

I seem to remember when Jeremy Clarkson bought one and had it delivered home, his wife's reaction was, 'Its like living with a two year old!'

So how about a full-size English Electric Lightning?

Thread: Help Needed for Kids Xmas Bike Modification
13/12/2019 20:30:47

The danger of leaving pedals on is that if the child isn't using pedals, he/she gets their legs caught around them and comes off, or at least gets bruised/grazed. It is particularly unpleasant if its on the Achilles tendon, which may put the youngster off having another go for a while, not to mention grief from Mum.

A quick check on Gumtree showed 512 balance bikes nationwide for less than £20. Add in Friday-Ads, Preloved, Ebay and car boot sales, and there's a massive selection of used ones going for a song.

For the sake of £20 or less, of which you will get most of back when its done its job, definitely get a balance bike!

Once the child does move up to the bike with pedals once they have sorted out balance, the other thing that is useful, is a 'parent pole' which clamps on to the top of the seat stays  or saddle stem and sticks out back and up. It allows you to hold on as they get started.  You can relax your grip on it once they are balancing themselves and the child won't notice, so doesn't panic.  It also allows you to act as brakeman if they're heading for the neighbour's new car!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 13/12/2019 20:46:35

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
30/11/2019 23:00:18
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 29/11/2019 19:26:20:

Chaps.

No disrespect to anybody at all: I spent a year as Technical Publications chief engineer in Airbus both at Hamburg and Toulouse. Compared to the first half of the last century, building full size these days is like building with Lego, very modular and machine controlled. The last complete aeroplane we built as Great Britain was in 1975. So maybe we will only need art ers.

I guess you mean the BAe Hawk, as in an all-British designed and built airframe with a British (Rolls-Royce) engine. The ARV2 meets the 'last complete' spec and came along later (1985) although it was let down by its Hewland engine.

Back to aeromodelling, there appear to be a considerable number of modellers now who have 'gone underground' flying small models where ever the nearest suitable open space is. As their models are generally electric, unless you see them flying, you won't know they're there. They just having fun, which is what it is all about!

28/11/2019 22:44:39
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 28/11/2019 15:13:52:

Yep, when I started RC back in the early 80s my first 4 channel basic Futaba 4 channel 27mhz FM set cost me £120 with 3 servos, today the equivalent no frills Futaba (the T6L) is £60, OK 6 channel, but with no servos!

In the 1980s, most trainers and sports models used servos the size of a Futaba S148, so it made sense to buy a set with four of them. These days models and servos vary so much in size that those S148s could be useless to the buyer. If its a multirotor they have, they may not want any servos at all. Sets without servos were available in the old days, they were called 'combos', You generally got the transmitter, receiver, switch harness and battery box. If it was rechargeable, you got the two nicads and charger as well.

Thread: F15 Pusher
28/11/2019 00:28:21

You're very welcome Andrew. Do please show us the build of your Eagle when you get started on it.

Thread: What does this mean?
27/11/2019 21:01:57
Posted by Gary Manuel on 27/11/2019 20:18:44:

I thought it was spelt "Airplane" in America.

At the moment they do, but there's hope yet if we continue to educate them... wink 2

Thread: F15 Pusher
27/11/2019 20:50:58

Sounds very similar to the Mig-25 Foxbat by Alex Weiss.

After a quick google, this came up: RCM&E April 1981 - Alex Weiss F15 Eagle

RCM&E Plan RC1412  Sarik Hobbies F15 Plan

Here's the Foxbat Plan just in case RCM&E don't do it any more:  Alex Weiss Foxbat Plan

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 27/11/2019 20:53:45

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 27/11/2019 20:55:38

Thread: Graupner SJ close down German office
24/11/2019 14:34:18

Cost savings from Chinese labour rates are often swallowed up by the financial and time costs that come from the headaches of working with such a different culture. With the USA imposing tariffs on some Chinese products, the South Koreans may have decided that rather than run the risk of their products suddenly being priced or taken out of the market by tariffs and sanctions, they would prefer the predictabilty of working with more control of their products, supply chains and intellectual property within South Korea.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see classic Graupner designs being re-released in future in the same way Thunder Tiger have done with Keilkraft gliders and rubber models. If they were done as limited editions that may addd to the desirability.

For starters, I expect we will see the Cirrus glider, Taxi trainer and Adolph Bermpohl boat. The Dandy and Amigo gliders are already/still in production.

22/11/2019 17:32:22

Such a shame. Graupner catalogues of the 70s and 80s were objects of wonder. The range of products was incredible.

The other thing with Graupner was that wherever you went in Europe, the Graupner salesman had got there first, and done a good job too; their products were everywhere! With the exception of Precedent, it was as if the British model industry couldn't be bothered to export.

Thread: How do you attached to those solid inners on snakes?
22/11/2019 17:26:29

Erfolg, if you pre-heat the metal thread you are going to wind into the plastic, it only softens the immediate area of the snake inner that you want to deform. Heating the snake inner runs the risk of it twisting as you try to wind the joining piece in.

The issue Stuart C decribed was particularly bad on Flitecraft models (Cessna 152, 177 & Piper Cherokee, notable for the R/C gear being installed through the cockpit door). On two of these I had throttle snake inners fail at the wound-in clevis joiner. Fortunately, flying around inverted soon stopped the engine and a dead stick landing saved the day.

21/11/2019 21:08:55

If they're anything like these: Solid Snake inner

Use these: M2 Solder Extender

They have a blind hole in the end that's not shown. Roughen and clean (with propanol or meths) the end of the snake inner you are going to bond in. Like wise with the inside ot the solder extender. Use epoxy, and gently warm the solder extender once you put it on, to ensure the epoxy flows into the roughend surfaces.

I wouldn't recommend these for a fast or heavy model as this sort of plastic is never going to bond really well.

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 21/11/2019 21:10:10

Thread: Moving the Centre of a Plan when Printing in Poster Format?
19/11/2019 22:11:36

Great! Thanks everyone, I'll give GrahamC's method a go, and if that doesn't work, I'll take Martyn K's advice download FoxIt.

I'll be back with the results.

Robin

Thread: Unusual Aircraft
19/11/2019 22:00:30

An article about the UFO here: Sport Pilot UFO Article I doubt the wing section has a name. I guess it would be a case of draw what looks right and try it.

A front view of the taildragger version:

Rowe UFO

...and even more here:  Rowe UFO further info

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 19/11/2019 22:07:32

19/11/2019 17:40:27

Wikipedia has a plan and side view drawing here: KN Rowe 'Useless Flying Object'

The UFO is definitely a contender to use those Depron pizza trays I've been saving over the years.

My favourite is the Wainfan Facetmobile, for which a number of model plans are available:

Wainfan Facetmobile

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 19/11/2019 17:56:00

Thread: Moving the Centre of a Plan when Printing in Poster Format?
17/11/2019 23:02:25

Printing a plan from Outerzone, I used 'Poster Format' as the site recommended, so the A4 sheets could be joined easily.

The annoying thing is that Adobe Reader automatically centred the plan to what it decided was the required number of sheets, complete with a large border. This resulted in each component, e.g. Wing, Fuselage, Tail, being printed across several sheets, whereas if I could have moved the centre of the image, both the top and bottom edges of each component could be on the same sheet.

Is there a way of doing this pre-printing, rather than printing 'as is', taping all the sheets together and photocopying each part?

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 17/11/2019 23:03:16

Thread: BMFA numbers. Is this true, or a gross exaggeration?
13/11/2019 23:02:09

The driving force for BMFA affiliated clubs was to a large extent driven by the loss of sites due to noisy engines. Now that small electric models are in most cases unobtrusive, why would you drive miles to hand launch over a crowded mown strip or piece of tarmac if you don't need it.? In some respects model flying has returned to where it was in the 1930s, 40s & 50s, with the flying of small models in the nearest local park.

Will the BMFA wait until country members are more than 50% of their membership, or else they have all left and bought the FPVUK insurance, before they ask if they are serving them as well as club members? For example, if one country member teaches another, are they insured? BMFA regulations tended to be written around flying on affliated club sites. That was fine when the norm was a .40 powered trainer, but those days have gone.

13/11/2019 00:02:09
Posted by Ray Wood 4 on 12/11/2019 22:32:51:

Hi All,

I come from the generation who could watch 30 different RAF types of aeroplanes at Biggin Hill in 1970 ! How many do we have today 4 ?? It was inspirational to us model builders

Regards Ray

Excluding UAVs, gliders, wobblycopters, anything rented and the BBMF, I make it thirteen distinct types right now:

Hawk, Lightning II, Typhoon, C-130J, A400M, C-17, Airseeker, Sentinel, AWACS, King Air, Islander/Defender, Poseidon, BAe 146.

During the war, albeit a period of six years, the RAF operated around 100 different types. It must have been a logistics nightmare!

Ray, my list for 1970 shows 31 types; which one didn't make it to Biggin Hill? wink

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 13/11/2019 00:03:06

Thread: Engine projects
12/11/2019 20:09:19

Jack, on the single cylinder engine, the bottom of the piston acts as the valve controlling flow from the carburettor into the crankcase. On the twin, I suspect a reed valve between the carburettor and crankcase does the job, in the same way as on a Cox Babe Bee 049.

When the pistons are moving apart (going up the cylinders), there will be a negative pressure in the crankcase, which opens the reed valves allowing the air fuel mix in. When the pistons move towards each other (descending in the cylinders) the reed valve shuts, squeezing the fuel/air mixture up the transfer ports on each cylinder and into the combustion chambers.

Thread: BMFA numbers. Is this true, or a gross exaggeration?
12/11/2019 18:48:30

Whilst youngsters are the most obvious source of new blood, they are by no means the only one. Large numbers of people buy models and don't complete them or do complete them, but don't fly them, either through lack of time, lack of knowledge,or fear of breaking it on the first flight. These models then gather dust on top of a wardrobe, or in the attic whilst the pressures of family life take precedence*.

Once the children have lives and transport of their own, spare time re-emerges and there's your target audience.

Try advertising** an event to encouraging people to bring their part-built and unflown models along, receive some constructive advice on completing them, and give them a taster on the club trainer with a buddy box. If you have a suitable venue, arrange for a member or members to give a regular evening class to the newcomers so when spring flying weather arrives, they have the knowledge and a correctly built and set up model to make a 'flying start'.

*This statement is based on two years of running an adult education class for would-be R/C modellers. The vast majority of the 45 who attended were aged 40 to 80, and had already started a kit years before.

**Don't pay money for this; local newspapers and radio stations will do editorials and local news items for free.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!