By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: First full size electric aircraft flies.
12/12/2019 23:27:58
Posted by Paul Marsh on 12/12/2019 17:45:50:

As I've said on another thread, imagine plugging 26 million cars into the National Grid, where it's already on its near max, talk about burying the needle!!!cool

Electric cars won't work, period, there is not enough reserve to meet the demand.

There's a "spare" 15 GW of power generation available each night for around 6 hours, this works out at around 85 miles per car per day, assuming 26 million cars.

12/12/2019 15:05:59
Posted by Don Fry on 12/12/2019 10:54:32:

Frank, a power generating system is built, surely, with and infrastructure to supply power to where needed, not with plans to connect it when someone gets round to it or supplies the budget to do it.

Agree, but you stated that the grid was fragile because of the non constant supply systems, it's not, it's because the power is being put in somewhere else. The main reason they are building new nuclear power stations next to old ones is so they can use the same connection. To take advantage of wind power we need to upgrade the grid to those areas to tap into that. We had to do it with nuclear because they are all by the coast to use seawater for cooling, just a shame they picked the wrong piece of coast for the best use of offshore wind turbines.

BTW anybody more interested in the electric DHC Beaver there's another video here

12/12/2019 09:48:38

The UK grid isn't fragile because of non-constant energy supplies, it's more that renewables especially wind are situated where the grid infrastructure is limited, there are plans to upgrade the grid to take this into account.

One of the reasons wind turbines are often stopped in windy conditions is hat they produce too much electricity and could overload the grid locally.

As for these electric planes, it seems to make sense for these shorthaul flights in this area. They are not just tourist flights but a quick way to get to relatively remote locations, so quite useful for the local communities.

Thread: Beware using PayPal with HobbyKing (and maybe others)
10/12/2019 22:05:54

Check you credit card statement, you may find you've been billed in US$ from Hong Kong and your credit card company will then convert this to UK£.

BTW your transaction was with Hong Kong the UK warehouse is just a drop shipping warehouse, not a UK shop.

Thread: BMFA Renewal Certificate
07/12/2019 08:47:49

Or download to your phone, or pay £3.50p and get the new credit card (with rewards).

As club sec, those that renew their BMFA via the club get an e-mail with their cert and I print them off if requested.

Thread: Trim reversal in OpenTx
05/12/2019 12:28:04
Posted by Peter Christy on 05/12/2019 09:35:38:

It also means that the "trim" levers can be assigned to a completely separate function, and not trim at all. For example, a friend of mine uses OpenTx professionally for controlling cameras remotely, and uses the "trim" levers for zoom and focus functions, while the sticks are used for pan and tilt. Very useful and flexible, and something a conventional transmitter is incapable of achieving.

Not all, Multiplex Royal Pro and Profi have ability to separate the trims and use them as separate channels.

BTW had exactly the same with a club mates model on a Taranis Q7 he asked me to maiden for him, I couldn't work out why trimming the elevator made it worse! got it down safety and discovered that the trim was reversed. Note to self check any future club mates models that trim works as expected.................

Thread: The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread
30/11/2019 14:54:58

John, that's not correct, club members can pay the BMFA direct if they wish but all members have to be BMFA members for the club to be affiliated, but affiliation is only open to clubs with 5 or more members, as outlined in the handbook

"Open to clubs and model flying groups consisting of not less than five persons. All current club members who fly and/or who are involved in any organising function within the club whatsoever must be registered with the BMFA as fully paid up individual members and at least one of them must be a senior member."

30/11/2019 08:25:11

Nigel, re cheque book, but that maybe the clubs bank, our bank resisted us having online banking facilities for ages, so we were stuck with cash and cheques.

29/11/2019 16:32:19

I'm surprised they are saying this as their members will now have to do their own registration separately and then make a note of when it has to be renewed, especially as BMFA newsletter also requests that members register via the BMFA to give the BMFA more clout

"We need the support of our members to make this work. If insufficient numbers utilise the concessions we have secured, then they are perhaps less likely to be available to us in the longer-term solutions we agree with the CAA from June 2020 onwards."

Thread: Is it Just my impession?
28/11/2019 15:13:52
Posted by Jesus Cardin on 28/11/2019 14:49:11:

In my opinion model plane hobby is just returning to its roots: an elite small and expensive hobby.

Yep, when I started RC back in the early 80s my first 4 channel basic Futaba 4 channel 27mhz FM set cost me £120 with 3 servos, today the equivalent no frills Futaba (the T6L) is £60, OK 6 channel, but with no servos!

Thread: 140% servo travel
27/11/2019 22:40:08

Servo position varies with the control pulse width typically between 900 and 2100 ms, and this is what the servo expects, what you will probably find is that is what 140% travel on a Futaba relates to.

26/11/2019 21:31:48
Posted by Michael Adams 3 on 26/11/2019 20:20:59:

I am now going to sign off and get ready for XMAS.

Come on Michael that's a bit contentious, getting ready for Xmas in November wink

25/11/2019 16:30:34
Posted by Dickw on 25/11/2019 15:40:31:

Frank

The latest statement on the BMFA website covers what you are asking.

The BMFA will not be providing a Flyer ID because members with a BMFA certificate don't need one as they have an exemption. So you only need an Operator ID from the BMFA.

Dick

Dick, brilliant they must have read my mind. We have some family/junior members that fly but don't have any of their own planes, so I needed to advise them what to do.

25/11/2019 14:51:13

Andy I asked the following in another thread which is now locked

1) If registering via the BMFA is this for both Operator and Flyer IDs?

2) Will their be an option via the BMFA to register as operator or flyer only (assuming if you register as a flyer only then there is nothing to pay)?

Thread: CAA or BMFA test to comply with OP & FLY ID
25/11/2019 09:25:21

Cuban, couldn't agree more, and then asking them to do the CAA registration direct rather than at the same time as renewing club/bmfa would just cause confusion too. Going to be bad enough this year as we have several LMA members (inc me) who will be registering via the LMA.

Andy - quick question does registering via the BMFA get you both the operator and flyer IDs or will you still need to go to the CAA for the flyer ID? Also what about juniors (or others) who just need a flyer ID, will that be an option on the BMFA renewal? thanks

24/11/2019 23:05:36

Assuming that is that the club is not checking if people are registered or not, if they are then the club sec will have to see proof of CAA registration. As far as our club are concerned most just want to add it to their membership fee and go the BMFA route (95% of members have an A cert so no need to do the test).

You could of course reduce the club sec membership even more by renewing your own BMFA too.........................

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 24/11/2019 23:06:16

Thread: Graupner SJ close down German office
24/11/2019 17:20:15
Posted by Erfolg on 24/11/2019 12:56:13:

I am not surprised.

I did not and still do not really clearly understand how or why the bought out Graupner operated.

SJ made the HOTT radios for Graupner, probably to a Graupner design. If they hadn't have bought Graupner then they may not have been able to carry on the manufacture of HOTT radios and sales. By buying Graupner they acquired all the intellectual property associated with the HOTT radios etc.

Thread: Multi Engine Plane
24/11/2019 08:33:11

4 tanks, keeps all the plumbing short, tanks should be in each nacelle, and adjusting each engine independent of the others.

22/11/2019 18:43:26
Posted by Nigel Heather on 22/11/2019 18:17:55:

Changing the subject a little.

I’m not into what the public thinks of drones so don’t know that much about them and not up to speed with the latest technology. But I do regularly visit a technology forums which has an active drone section where most of the content is about DJI products.

Today I learned about the new DJI Mavic Mini, a fully capable quadcopter with an all up weight of 249g and DJI makes no secret that this is a deliberate design to avoid the need for registration. This thing has a camera allowing it to be flown FPV using a mobile phone at distances of 4km and at height well above 120m.

I expect that this is the first of many as more manufacturers bring out regulation busting aircraft.

What do you guys think?

Personally, for me it brings into question why there is a threshold. Is a 250g aircraft flying above 120m any less of a hazard.

I wonder whether the CAA naively imagined that the sub-250g aircraft were toys with limited performance and capability flown indoors or in back gardens. I doubt they were imagining the likes of DJI Mavic Mini.

Appreciate that they still need to be flown within the code, but will they really.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited By Nigel Heather on 22/11/2019 18:19:26

From the FAQ section it looks like it is height limited etc

a. During flight training, the altitude will be limited to 30 m, and the flight distance will be limited to 50 m.
b. When flying while not logged into a DJI account, the flight altitude will be limited to 30 m, and the flight distance will be limited to 50 m.
c. Flight altitude and distance limits can be set manually in the DJI Fly app.
d. When GPS signal is weak, the flight altitude of the aircraft will be limited.
e. When the aircraft is flying near a restricted flight zone, or in a GEO Zone with altitude limits.
For more information, please contact DJI SUPPORT.

​​​​​​​

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
21/11/2019 14:20:13
Posted by Richard Wills 2 on 21/11/2019 14:02:51:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 21/11/2019 13:40:55:

Richard. On my 240 flat 4 i use a single 2.4v nimh pack with 2 cells in parallel and 2 in series for 6600mah. I then have the two right hand cylinders connected to the +ve and the two left hand -ve with the circuit completed through the engine itself. It fires up all 4 very nicely and i think you could probably stretch it to a 5th plug. Have 3 +ve and 2 -ve? I might try it on my asp radial as you are right about the faff of 5 glow sticks

Tried the os recommended method of 2 sub c in parallel all plugs +ve case -ve with 14 gauge wire and got a pathetic 0.7V at the plugs. I briefly thought about running it as you have suggested, or sticking a cyclon in there and letting the voltage drop bring it down to 1.5V ish. It's bolted to the front of a Wot 4 Xtreme at the moment so it's ok on the sticks but I plan to put it in something scale eventually so i'll have to do something then.

Have you looked at the glow drivers that Model Radio Workshop do, 5 cylinder one here , I'm using their standard one for a 200v with the the plugs in series, I have it on a separate channel as I only use it for starting, but it works very well. The engine only went on one cylinder when the fuel line came off the carb, my fault it was large bore pipe and a bit loose.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us