By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 540 kv motor v 580kv motor
16/08/2018 13:36:53

Not that simple, the Kv is the unloaded speed of the motor per volt, under load there will be some "slippage" so if the 540kv motor is more efficient it could turn the same size prop at a higher speed.

Unless you've got performance measurements of both motors on the same prop then it's not possible to tell which motor is better.

Plus the FMS might have a different prop than the Freewing which would compensate for the lower kv.

I wouldn't choose one or the other based on the Motor kV, but rather by the models other features.

Thread: Flaps
15/08/2018 11:21:33

I had a Glenns Maule and now have a Seagull MaxiLift both with flaps, for steep approaches I drop the flaps to 80 degrees and can then come in on a very steep approach, both models need down elevator with full flap and I have this mixed in. This works up to around 1/3rd throttle after which it zooms up again.

As BEB says it's all about timing, but it is surprising how steep the Maxilift will come in and flare out very easily, the first couple of times I was having to add power to prevent an undershoot.

Thread: How do I charge a 2S lipo through the balance lead?
14/08/2018 16:48:38

A lot of the simple chargers that come with the small ARTF planes only charge through the balance lead, you could ask your club members if anybody has got one (I've got a least two)

Something like this

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 14/08/2018 16:50:02

Thread: STOL mk2
13/08/2018 13:30:00

Something like a Turnigy SK 3530-1000 kv would draw 39amps, 410 watts, on a 3200 mah 3s with a 12 x 6 prop, just over 2kg static thrust according to drivecalc .

Thread: 35mhz; 40mhz; or 72mhz best for electric model
12/08/2018 11:12:44

The only time I had any glitching on a 35mhz brushless electric model was on an EDF where the aerial ran alongside the motor, but the Rx on this was for small models and didn't have a full length aerial.

I flew quite a few other brushless models on 35mhz (Multiplex Cockpit Sx and MPX IPD receivers) with no issues at all and they all powered the receiver and servos from the ESC BEC. The only reason i don't use 35mhz on any electric models these days is because I like to use telemetry to monitor the flight pack (still using 35mhz in some IC models).

Thread: Glue advice please.
12/08/2018 08:16:47

I use Blendherm tape on all my film covered gliders and electric models, but for a foam flying wing I'd go with the UHU method.

11/08/2018 21:41:24

I have a flying wing which I am informed is a Raven (I can't remember I bought it that long ago), it's hinged with UHU Por, you run a bead on UHU on the wing and the aileron, let it start to set and then bring the surfaces together.

Thread: EU. LBT
11/08/2018 21:05:13
Posted by Peter Christy on 11/08/2018 18:34:41:

MattyB: Thanks for that! It confirms my guess! wink

Frank: The same issue would apply to any band where illegally high powers were in use. We've already had suspected instances in the UK, where people have been using high powered analogue TV transmitters on 2.4 GHz. In the US too, there are people using quite high power levels on 2.4 GHz, to the annoyance of others trying to use the band.

LBT is only a partial cure. There were instances in the early days of 2.4 GHz in the US - at their Nationals, I believe - where Spektrum transmitters were accused of "failing". DSM-2 tries to find two empty channels before powering up, a form of LBT. At that US Nats, there were so many flyers on 2.4 GHz, that all the channels were in use! The DSM-2 transmitters couldn't find an empty channel, and therefore, quite correctly, refused to transmit! Their owners thought they were faulty!

The same could happen with EU LBT, if a wide-band transmission gobbled up a significant amount of the band. But at least it would stop you taking off, I guess!

--

Pete

As I understand it, it would prevent an LBT tx from transmitting on the bits of the band that were gobbled up, but just interfere with a non-LBT tx when it jumped into the affected area.

11/08/2018 17:57:35
Posted by Peter Christy on 10/08/2018 17:15:06:

I think the above arguments, all of which raise perfectly valid points, demonstrate far more eloquently than I ever could, what a complete mess the EU regulations are on this matter.

Putting my technical hat on for a moment, the whole point of spread spectrum technology is to allow many systems to operate in the same frequency space without interfering with each other. Its been a viable and well proven technology for over 50 years, although admittedly, its only in the last decade that it has become viable for consumer devices.

How on earth the EU thought they could improve on a such a well-established technology boggles the mind. But the results speak for themselves.....

--

Pete

I couple of years ago I got into discussions on RC Groups with a flier in Singapore who said that they were having a lot of 2.4 interference issues which they thought were caused by high power wifi system and was looking at different systems which might be more immune. So a free for all might end up with a band that we can't all share. I'm no expert on the EU regs but I also read that the US were looking to bring in LBT, bear in mind that it's a shared band so the regs aren't written specifically for RC use.

Thread: Spit 72" aileron servos
11/08/2018 08:12:22

Here you go, you can use this to calculate the servo torque, it's surprising how little torque is required.

Years ago we would all fit Futaba 148s or 3003s to this type of model, with slightly less torque than these new modern mini servos.

BTW I have used these metal geared servos in my 1/4 and 1/3rd scale gliders and found them to be fine,

Thread: EU. LBT
09/08/2018 08:22:56
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 09/08/2018 06:57:55:

I was under the impression (probably mistakenly) that LBT only applied to Transmitters. The clue here being in the name 'Listen before transmit', which is wot transmitters should do wink 2. I know that non LBT JR and Spektrum DMS2 receivers were still available post 2015, Now all sold out of course, unless you buy Orange ones from HK.

The transmission regulations apply to everything that transmits and that includes receivers which transmit telemetry data back. The are two means of complying with the standard (which was available for at least two years before it became into force), either transmit at low power for a very short duration or check the channel is free and then transmit at a higher power for longer (LBT). Frsky first tried the non-LBT method but it wasn't a success for everybody, so they later brought in the LBT system.

Thread: SBUS SERVOS
06/08/2018 12:15:09
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 06/08/2018 09:54:57:
Frank I've heard others worry about using a single connection and it's a legitimate concern, but consider this:

Anyone flying with a Rx battery (i.e. not BEC) is likely have a single connection between batt and switch harness and another single connection between switch harness and Rx. These are servo power carrying connections too.

Where I've used S.Bus to a warbird wing (6servos). I used a bigger sized connector between fus and wing, and fed servo power directly to that connector rather than through the Rx.

So there are different ways to arrange things.

S.Bus also allowed me to use channels 9-16 in the wing. These are not available as separate servo ports on the Rx.

Chris yes, but it's not just the power concern, it's a single point failure that leads to a loss of all downstream devices, where if you use a multipin connector the loss of a single wire will only affect that servo. I suppose some of this comes from my involvement in safety assessments of instrumentation systems, where we avoid a single connection isolating critical functions. But again in what we do the risk is pretty small and the convenience outweighs this.

I do share you concerns over the Rx battery via switch to the Rx having had problems (fortunately found on the bench), so now on larger models I use FET switches and either dual feeds to the Rx or heavy duty connections.

Thread: Operating a servo from a transmitter switch
06/08/2018 09:18:24

I'd start by winding down the servo movement to almost nothing and then connecting the doors with them open halfway, you can then adjust the end point travel with switch in the closed and open positions to get the correct shut and open positions, this way you won't stall the servo if the 100% travel setting is too much.

Thread: SBUS SERVOS
06/08/2018 08:29:18
Posted by Ace on 06/08/2018 07:25:58:

I understand the principal of SBUS and its benefits particularly for a complex wing set up.

What is not clear is if you can use the 4 ch FrSky decoder + channel selector, Bangood, 16ch & FrSky Redundancy 10/20 with say Spectrum?

No, there isn't a standard serial bus protocol and different manufacturers use different protocols. S-Bus is not compatible with Spektrum.

For Spektrum you'd need to look at one of the manufacturers that covers different protocols, e.g. Powerbox.

While I can see the appeal of an SBus system my worry would be that the loss of a single connection would cause all servos that are fed from that hub, and prefer to use multi-pin connectors.

Thread: Thinking of changing my car
03/08/2018 16:48:59

Not all main dealers are bad and independents good, we had our Mitsubishi Colt serviced by a local dealer for a few years and it developed an oil leak, so we thought it best to get the main dealer to check it out, we booked it in for a main service and to check the oil leak. They found that the vent that circulates the sump gases back to the inlet had not been cleaned and was blocked, cleaning that and the oil leak went away, no extra charge over the service. The independent had missed this. But did have a Ford dealer not refit a sump plug correctly which fell out on the motorway the next day....................................

Thread: Laser 180 Petrol
03/08/2018 12:26:17

Very nice, any chance of a photo of the rear of the engine, I'm intrigued to see the pump and carb.

02/08/2018 16:04:02
Posted by Bucksboy on 12/10/2014 07:41:16:

Sorry, I've not heard about the Aspen petrol before. Where would I buy it? Do I have to do anything to my Saito petrol if I use it? Is it more expensive?

I've a friend who runs his Saitos on it, although I think he mixes his own oil in. You can buy it at most good garden machinery suppliers. It is more expensive but it doesn't smell, so your car doesn't stink after you've been flying.

01/08/2018 16:58:03

Sounds good, I've just acquired a 2nd hand Laser 150 to replace a DLA32cc which is too noisy for our site, I'm tempted now to wait for the 180 petrol, smiley, hopefully it won't be too long a wait until the production versions are available.

Thread: Refinishing classic fibreglass fuselages
29/07/2018 17:06:33

Sorry, not for sale, but this is the resprayed fuselage

fiesta.jpg

Thread: Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?
29/07/2018 13:29:59

Rich, glad it's sorted. Now all you need is a few thermals to check the vario function.

You mentioned height alarm above, not sure if the 16sz can do it, but I've programmed the telemetry on my MPX Profi to cut the motor if I go above a certain height on one electric glider, e.g. throttle cut come on when height exceeds 120m and off when height drops below 40m, so climb to 120m the motor cuts, search for thermals and if none find motor can restart when glider has descended to below 40m

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues