By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: High Start Beginner
24/09/2018 18:39:22

Multiplex Easy Glider Hi Starts very easy, I forgot to switch on the Rx once, it went up on the line, came off, circled round several times and landed in the next field (lucky it didn't catch a thermal!).

Dynaflight Bird or Time also bungees very easy.

Note on the tow you must use rudder for steering not ailerons.

It's great fun BTW and when you do catch a thermal it's all the more satisfying that you haven't cheated by having a fan on the front wink

Thread: Can I have two Life batteries powering my Futaba receiver?
22/09/2018 18:07:20
Posted by robert chamberlain on 22/09/2018 03:43:52:

Hello all,--I am new to LiFe battery technology and am uncertain as to the charge rate. AS luck would have it, my cell phone battery has one, rated at 5 volt and 1000MA and my wall charger says the same thing on the label. All new wall chargers for flip phones say 5 volts 2000 ma. Does this mean to imply that these batts can take a 2C charge rate? Of course, I do not plan on using this cell phone batt in an aircraft, but I was wondering if this was indicative of all LiFe batts?-------thanks in advance, Bob in Kansas

Bob, be aware that the phone wall charger is just a power supply, the phone actually controls the charge process. My Tx uses a single 3500 mah LiFe cell for power, I charge it using a 2000mA phone charger but the Tx limits the charge rate to 1500 mA .

Note a fully charge LiFe cell is 3.6v per cell and a 2s LiFe pack is a good replacement for a 5 cell Nimh pack.

Thread: Fail safe and backups
22/09/2018 17:23:16

What radio system are you using, does your radio manufacturer already provide specific receivers for larger aircraft with heavier duty servos?

Thread: Battle of Britain: Model Squadron
18/09/2018 20:30:10
Posted by Martin McIntosh on 18/09/2018 20:24:16:

. Boys with toys is how the public will view it.

having a good time...…………….

Thread: Buying from this site
17/09/2018 17:00:12

It's not a stricture against Paypal, but a warning that if you choose to pay someone as a gift (i.e. like a friend) and the goods don't get delivered then there is no comeback on Paypal, if you use the business Paypal you have the protection but then Paypal take a % of the payment so some sellers ask for payment as a gift or for the buyer to pay for the protection.

Thread: Futaba T14SG chat
17/09/2018 08:12:47
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 16/09/2018 20:36:22:

Another question. If I adjust control movement down via end point, do you lose some resolution of that control, as opposed to moving the linkages in or out ?. I mean I closed the throttle of an i.c model down to 50 per cent, but the throttle control felt very soft and sluggish.

Cheers

Maurice

Yes but it's not a Tx thing but you've halved the servo movement, so the full control movement now only gives half the steps, say 512 instead of 1024. I doubt you'd notice this on a throttle though.

17/09/2018 08:08:35
Posted by cymaz on 17/09/2018 05:58:16:

Even though rather programme is about the Battle of Britain, they’ve missed trick. It’s a shame they have not covered other events. They could have included the Dawn Patrol with a WW 1 item. And the Dam Busters with the LMA Lancasters

Maybe the success of this with Joe Public will sow the seeds for future programs.

Thread: What is the cause of this?
16/09/2018 11:23:05
Posted by Nigel Heather on 15/09/2018 07:16:55:

And fair point about the 14 clicks - is that a lot - depends on the radio I guess - will look at the plane today and report back with the actual deflection of the elevator.

Cheers,

Nigel

Or setting on the radio, a couple of mine have the ability to adjust the trim step, if it's set to a very small step then you'll need a lot of clicks smiley to see much effect.

Thread: Messing about with Mercos'
12/09/2018 08:15:17

Jeff, thanks, I will investigate further. The engine has been cleaned up by a previous owner so I will have a look at the head/cylinder joint to see if there is any problem there.

It looks like it has newish head screws, 3 short and 3 long, just wondering if these might be slightly too long and are bottoming out, do you know what length they should be.

11/09/2018 22:22:30

Jeff, the Mk111 with micro-flow is what I've got. I tried running it but was getting a very severe leak from the cylinder head joint, took the head off and there is no gasket, so it looks like I will have to address that.

Thread: events
11/09/2018 16:57:28

For those interested, there's an aerotow event at Milson Airstrip this coming weekend. https://scalesoaring.co.uk/event/milson-airstrip-2/

Thread: Lipo charging
11/09/2018 16:53:13
Posted by Nigel R on 11/09/2018 13:00:21:

I realise I'm ping in the breeze here. But.

1) Frank - it makes no odds (practically) to the balance time to reduce the charge rate during the initial charge. The rate of balance improvement is fixed by the balance circuitry. You might as well charge as fast as you can during the initial period.

Nigel, I'm not so sure, the current reduction around the highest voltage cell is fixed and on at least one of my chargers the balancing seems to start from the initial start, so if you are charging a 2200 mah cell at 2.2A and the current reduction on the highest voltage cell is only 100mA then it will still charge up pretty quick and not allow the other cells to catch up, but if you set the charge rate at say 0.7A then the low voltage cells have more time to catch up. What I have found is that if the highest voltage cell gets to 4.2v then the charger can't quite bypass all the current through this cell and so it carries on charging, at a very low rate, and you can end up with it going slightly over charged, but if the cells all balance before they get to 4.2v then it seems to balance easier.

I maybe wrong but it works for me

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 11/09/2018 16:53:46

11/09/2018 08:05:46

I think that most balance chargers work by using the balance lead to bypass a small current around the highest voltage cells, if you charge at a high rate then even bypassing a small current will not allow the lowest voltage cells to catch up. I usually re-balance a pack by charging it, on the balance setting, at a low charge rate i.e. 0.3c this way the pack takes longer to charge up so the lowest voltage cells have more time to catch up. Works for me.

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
10/09/2018 21:31:26

Paul, good stuff, once you've flown the glider you might find a bit of camber flap for thermaling is useful, so you could then dial it back in.

Once you get into flight phases you can set different mix inputs in each flight phase, so you could have flaps mixed with ailerons in one phase for full span ailerons, flap and aileron camber in another for thermaling and then crow braking on another for landing.

BTW it's often useful to have the flap control fully active when you are setting up the flap servos and then to dial in the flap movement you require (or don't) in the mixer.

10/09/2018 17:42:21

Just stood in my garage after a cycle ride and a lady came up and asked about my planes and where we flew. She mentioned the program and said it was really enjoyable.

We'll have to see what Googlebox make of it on Friday laugh

Thread: Multiplex Cockpit Sx 9
10/09/2018 17:36:24

Paul, it is like the mixers in the old Cockpit Sx, like Max says if you don't want any flap input then in the mixer specify no or very little flap input the roller will do nothing.

Or if you have upgraded to v1.40 I think you can assign flap control to a different control/switch. I upgraded my mates Sx and had a quick play with it but don't have it in front of me now to check.

BTW he has the flaps on a power plane on a rear roller and really likes this.

Thread: Plane that flies itself
06/09/2018 09:50:08

Yep we had a newbie come along to the club last year and we were amazed how well he could fly, but he had stablisation and self leveling aids turned on. He's now learning to fly on conventional models and had to unlearn flying with bank stablisation and self leveling!

When I first flew the model (an EFlite Apprentice) if felt as though I was flying through treacle the plane was so slow to respond and having to hold the stick over to keep it turning was quite strange, but it did stop you from getting into trouble.

Thread: Built up ailerons
04/09/2018 20:21:25

I've done it both ways, if you are building the full wing and then cutting out the ailerons, one way is to slot the ribs and aileron facings so they slot together then build it all and then cut out the ailerons which are then already faced.

Thread: NEW POLL - Which part of building a new traditional balsa model plane do you enjoy the most?
30/08/2018 21:07:21

Covering and painting is the bit I like the least, maybe we should have another poll on what you like the least wink

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 30/08/2018 21:07:52

Thread: See if you can help me with this
28/08/2018 21:39:11
Posted by kc on 28/08/2018 18:15:51:

a 4S battery will take less amps than the 3S on the same motor & prop, so you might use a lower amp ESC which is usually cheaper. And a 4S could be smaller in amp hours yet give the same flight time ( the smaller 4S might weigh the same as the 3S )

Edited By kc on 28/08/2018 18:19:13

The power to turn a given prop is proportional to the square of the speed, i.e. to double the rpm you need 4x the power, so if you increase the volts the motor will turn faster and so will the amps if you don't change the prop.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us