By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
24/03/2020 22:43:32
Posted by Gary Spicer 1 on 24/03/2020 20:17:45:

Does 6900 rpm max revs sound about right for a 20x6 on a Laser 180? Model is DB Nieuport 24 (only a cheap tacho)

Thanks

My 200v runs a 20x6 at around 6,500 rpm so I'd say that's about right. Mines in a Mick Reeves 1/4 scale Camel, wt around 7kg, flew fine until a fuel line came off one of the carbs, engine didn't stop but didn't have enough power for a go around so landed in long grass flipping model over.

24/03/2020 19:14:06

Morris Mini Motors list a range of high power starts, using motorcycle starter motors.

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
21/03/2020 21:25:37
Posted by Glyn44 on 21/03/2020 16:47:25:

Petrol & diesel for your car will be next things to be rationed IMHO

Bit hard to hoard and demand is down as people are not travelling as much. There's a reason oil price is half of what it was a month ago.

As for shopping, we've seen supermarkets stripped of toilet rolls, hand sanitiser and beer aisles pretty empty round here, but all our small shops are pretty well stocked, no problems at the green grocer, baker and butcher. Several pubs are now also doing home delivery take aways too.

Thread: IC Engine Bearings...
21/03/2020 10:03:57

Quick question, when I've replace bearings in 3 lasers (62,75 and 150), I've pressed the front bearing in using a vice but that means it goes but no further than flush with the front face of the casing, is that correct?

Haven't run the 75 yet but the 62 and 150 run very sweetly.

19/03/2020 17:49:47

Plus don't forget the gyroscopic precession loads these will apply mainly to the front bearing.

I recently replaced some really old bearings on a 75 because they had got noisy, the old bearings were slightly notchy, engine had been run on castor 15+ years ago but more recently on synthetic on opening there was still castor residue gum inside. Got a 62 which had been laid up for quite a while, it didn't turn smoothly so i changed the bearings out, they were a bit gummed up and sticking as Jon notes above, new bearings and it runs a real treat.

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 20/03/2020 19:44:26

Thread: Netflix scam
18/03/2020 18:33:47

Just had an e-mail from info@mailer.netflix.com with a link to finish setting up. I might be wrong but seems like a scam maybe timed to catch those self isolating.

Thread: Futaba area code
18/03/2020 08:19:42
Posted by Jimmy Jewitt on 17/03/2020 18:43:49:

That's the reason I have only found out lately about it being coded for America. I also own FrSky Taranis but this can be changed to be America code or Euro (LBT) code by changing the firmware. I wonder why Futaba didn't do the same.

Under the EU regs you should not be able to change region on the transmitting device..................

Thread: 2020 Events Cancelled
18/03/2020 08:16:04
Posted by Gordon Tarling on 18/03/2020 07:49:50:

There seems to be no indication on the LMA website that the July Cosford event has been cancelled.

Says cancelled in the Upcoming Events section also in the forum too.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 18/03/2020 08:17:25

Thread: Fuels Paradise
14/03/2020 08:07:45

That's only the Duraglow range, the Formula Irvine, recommended by Ripmax for Irvine and OS has 0% castor as does the Laser mix too.

I've been running my fourstrokes, Lasers, ASP, Thunder Tiger on a 10% synthetic oil with 5% Nitro, made by taking 10% Nitro regular synthetic oil fuel and mixing 50:50 with Methanol. Engines run well and planes are a little less oily.

13/03/2020 17:26:55

Just watch out the scammers are about too **LINK** wink

Thread: CompleteAPac kit - Stuka J87
12/03/2020 17:49:06
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 12/03/2020 15:14:23:

Watch out for tipstall. CAP models are notorious

The Bucker Jungmeister must be the exception, mine is lovely, plan shows a Merco 61 and mine flies on an ASP91 which has plenty of umph to fly it in a scale aerobatics. From what I recall there are no instructions, everything was on the plan.

Thread: Mad idea?
10/03/2020 21:57:31

Yep have used the all in one units from Bangood with some Fatshark v2s, used them on a flying wing, MPX Easy Star, Easy Glider (off the slope) and in the "passenger" seat in a 1/5th scale T21, flown them all FPV, the T21 aerotowed to height.

Also bought a video receiver which plugged into my phone and have given rides in the T-21. Had a panning camera in the T-21 great for looking down the wing.

I'm also very short sighted, I made up so diopter adjusters to go in my Fatsharks from an old pair of specs, this worked very well. Only problem I have on some days is that the googles keep misting up.

09/03/2020 21:29:02
Posted by Gary Manuel on 09/03/2020 20:25:14:

2. 90 odd % of people are getting over the virus and declaring themselves cured. Are they really cured? Can humans develop immunity to Covid-19 to prevent them getting it again? If they become immune, can they still be carriers, to infect a fresh set of people they are exposed to?

The very act of getting better means your body has learnt how to deal with Covid-19, so you are now immune to that strain. But not if it mutates into a different strain, same reason why the flu vaccine isn't always efficient as it may not be protecting against the actual flu strain that's going around.

As for pulling up the drawbridge, most of the cases coming in have been Brtis returning from areas where there has been outbreaks, they don't know they have got it because of the long incubation period where they are still infectious but haven't developed any symptoms. So we need to ban all foreign travel and visitors to the UK for at least two weeks before there are any known cases in overseas countries.............. Not great for a country that is planning to trade with the world.

Thread: Email for a mac
09/03/2020 21:20:12

The guys I know on Apple tend to have a .me e-mail address, which I think is linked to Apples iCloud

Thread: Is there a new breed of servo ?
08/03/2020 18:05:17

Just to add another one, does using a gyro stabiliser shorten servo life? (as the servo is working more).

Recently had an elevator servo fail on an electric model with stabilised receiver, been in use for well over 12 months, on 3rd flight of the day model took off and no response from the elevator, Servo wasn't a named brand one, can't remember what it was.

Thread: On board volt & amp meter
06/03/2020 19:43:34

Another option might be to see if you can get hold off an older Eagletree logger, I've got a V2 from before I had telemetry, with the optional display this shows Volts, amps, watts and mah, it also logs the results so you can view your flight data later.

Maybe try a wanted ad (note I'm not selling mine as I still use it from time to time as a watt meter)

Thread: Spoilers
06/03/2020 17:42:13

Another option would be magnets, years ago I had a Chris Foss Hi-Phase Rudder/Elevator/Spoiler glider, spoilers being used for landing. These were on a simple pull cord which went to one servo in the fuselage to pull them open and had some fridge strip magnets to keep them shut.

Thread: Second throttle control
04/03/2020 21:08:54

When I built a hovercraft more than a few years back, I used an aircraft ESC for the lift motor, controlled by the throttle stick on a ratchet, I then used a car/boat ESC with reversing on the propulsion motor using the elevator stick, pushing the stick up gave forward thrust and back reverse thrust, off was with the stick centralised.

Thread: At last! Finally got out for a maiden flight
04/03/2020 17:49:53

Very nice yes and your strip is so dry too (jealousy emoji here)

Thread: Old Multiplex radio kit, any value?
04/03/2020 17:40:59

When was 35 mHz introduced, I know when i bought my first RC set at the end of 1979 it was on 27 Mhz FM and I seem to remember that 35 mHz was legalised in early 1980, which would mean if the set was bought in 1978 it would be 27 mHz or has been upgraded to 35 mHz. But then again I might be wrong frown

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us