By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Variable resistors
18/04/2019 08:31:59

Yes the formula for resistors in Parallel is

1/Total Resistance = 1/R1+1/R2..............+ 1/Rn

On that basis if your R1 is 5 ohms and you want a total resistance of 1 ohm then R2 needs to be 1.25 ohms

Thread: Which Brand?
15/04/2019 18:12:04

Setting the brake on the ESC causes the motor to stop and allow the prop to fold reducing drag so you can glide further. Crow braking is flaps down and ailerons up (sometimes called butterfly), great for controlling the glide slope on landing. On my electric gliders I have power on a slider and crow braking on the "throttle" stick so I can easily modulate crow on landing, but I also fly pure gliders so having spoilers/crow on the throttle stick is 2nd nature.

On a power model with flaps you tend to drop the flaps and use power to adjust the approach, on a glider you modulate the spoilers or crow to adjust the landing approach.

Thread: Build your own telemetry sensors.
15/04/2019 08:03:50
Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 14/04/2019 19:50:12:

So, how does £2 a board plus £1 postage sound?

It's a little bit more than unit cost but it means I won't have to sell every last one before I break even.

Hopefully that will cover some stout envelopes, card and stamps etc.

Perfect.yes

14/04/2019 16:40:31

I'd be up for 3 boards please. yes

Thread: Which Brand?
14/04/2019 16:37:43

Assuming your radio will allow to assign channels, then 5 without flaps, (rudder, elevator, ailerons x 2, throttle), 7 with flaps.

Best if you go with separate channels then you can dial in crow braking for easier landings and full camber flap for thermaling etc.

Thread: Build your own telemetry sensors.
14/04/2019 08:37:34

Having made some Open Vario sensors to work with Muiltiplex M Link, I'd be interested in the PCBs to make up some Volt. amp and cell sensor,

Thread: Lost radio contact
09/04/2019 21:08:46

Just a note, I have an early Dx6i (still working OK) and it is designed to run on 4 AA cells, typically 5.5v when fully charged, if you put in a 2s Lipo/Life with 8.4/7.2v respectively could this burn out any internal regulator as it drops the voltage?

I know the later Spektrum transmitters were designed to run on Nimh/Life/Lipo options but I am not sure the Dx6i was.

Thread: Burn Crispy Aviators
09/04/2019 10:42:13

Not sure if people are aware of the What3Words system is where the world is divided into a grid of 3m x 3m squares and assigned each one a unique 3 word address. It means anyone can accurately find any location and share it more quickly, easily and with less ambiguity than any other system.

This is now used by the UK emergency services, so we have decided to let our club members know our location on this system.

Appropriately the identification for the center of our runway is Burn.Crispy.Aviators, crook

Whats yours?

Thread: With much regret, selling up
08/04/2019 18:08:56

Yep, all the best, I enjoyed your build threads.

Thread: DSM2 buddy box
05/04/2019 15:28:06

John, that's perfect thanks.

05/04/2019 14:15:57

Have a new club member who is thinking of buying a BnF trainer with a Dx6e, I know the newer Spektrums have wireless buddy box capability, but would we be able to use a Dx6e DSMx Tx as the master with an older DSM2 only Dx6i as the buddy (with a lead).

Anybody done this? thanks.

Thread: Laser tank breather
04/04/2019 21:33:50

As the engine is always drawing fuel, then that empty space in the tank has to be replaced, which is the point of the breather, so unless you have a really long breather which is full or fuel it's not going to have enough force (Height of fuel and s.g.) to pull against a partial vacuum and reverse flow (also the engine would stop first). If the engine stopped when the plane is inverted then air would come back through the needle and yes it would drain then, but I don't think that would be too big a concern wink

Also pointing the vent at the propeller (tractor installation) means that the vent is acting like a pitot tube and is partially pressurised

Thread: 35 MHz RX
04/04/2019 17:36:43

I still have a few models on 35mhz and have started using it again for my IC club models, I've even got a 35 mhz trainer which has a wireless 2.4 ghz buddy Tx.

Thread: Taping Aileron and Elevator
03/04/2019 18:29:12

Like you I use Blendurm tape, which works well on smaller, <3m, models, the Chris Williams method on larger scale models is to fit normal hinges, but not glue them, and then use tape to hold the ailerons etc in place and provide sealing.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 03/04/2019 18:40:48

Thread: Steerable nose wheel set up
03/04/2019 08:13:54

I've used closed loop wires on a retractable noseleg, but I can't see how that works with ball links as shown in the photo. Where the mating parts for the ball links provided?

Thread: Crankcase breather/. 4stroke
27/03/2019 21:44:39

For neatness on a scale model with an ASP91 FS, I have connected the crankcase vent to a short piece of brass tubing which is fixed to the firewall and discharges out of the bottom of the cowl. Looks neater than some fuel tubing flapping in the wind.

Thread: Linkage rod to horn connection
27/03/2019 17:54:15
Posted by Martin Harris on 26/03/2019 16:27:03:

Shudder...

Saw another of these abortions come loose on someone's new model last Saturday.

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/03/2019 16:39:59

Martin, I agree, but on a Tamiya Truck to change gears I don't think it's quite as critical.................

Thread: Hobbyking service
27/03/2019 08:03:04

Top stuff, how are the oleos, I'm thinking of ordering some for a 90 size warbird, but not sure what weight they are suitable for.

Thread: Electric Cars.
26/03/2019 15:25:38

If they'd have only had the internet in the early 1900s, you could imagine the posts, these new noisy IC cars will never catch on, nowhere to buy the fuel and my horse can top itself up in any field..............

As regards the efficiency, my IC car does less mpg in winter, but as the IC engine is only around 25% efficient anyway range isn't as badly affected as an electric motor with around 80% efficiency is using much less "fuel" to move it along so any energy used for heating/lights/extra drag has a much bigger impact.

My diesel car has a 55 litre tank which is about 590 kwh (diesel is around 10.722 kwh/litre) and has a range of around 650 miles, a Tesla with a 100 kwh battery can do around 300 miles. Maybe new fuel duties will be introduced as XXp per kwh (or MJ) to cater for both IC and electric cars.

Thread: Does your club prohibit the use of after-market receivers?
20/03/2019 17:15:33

Nope, but we do ask fliers to demonstrate their failsafe is set correctly. Last couple of radio problems we've seen have been with OEMs receivers and tracked down to faulty transmitters, but I think that's twice in the last 5 years.

Most problems are the moving trees...............................

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us