By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Am I getting to complicated?
01/11/2019 15:28:50

At that rpm, you are going to have over 6kg of static thrust, I can't imagine you'll be flying around at full power much and also the prop will unload in forward flight and take some of the load, and amps, off. Plus once the battery has discharged a bit the amps will drop anyway.

Providing the motor is adequately cooled I would be happy with this set up.

31/10/2019 08:22:14

I don't have a watt meter but tend to use telemetry sensors, Multiplex or SM Modelbau, one thing I've found with these sensors is that the mah used at the end of the flight is pretty close to the mah subsequently put back in by my charger.

I do have an earlier Eagle Electric flight logger, which I used before telemetry which has the advantage of logging the data for later review on a PC, maybe a watt meter with that capability is a better option.

30/10/2019 16:55:48

Something doesn't tally with the watt meter, if it says it's doing 1237 watts at 52.6 amps that's a battery voltage of 23.5 volts or 3.9v per cell, suggesting that there is only a 0.3v per cell drop (assuming battery is 100% charged). Can you confirm the voltage reading under load, i.e. plug a battery checker into the balance lead.

Also reading the reviews on Hobbyking, several users report the motor on a 6s and 17 x 8 prop giving 65 to 70+ amps

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 30/10/2019 17:20:07

Thread: LIPO Battery Duration Query
29/10/2019 13:05:49

Looking at it from watt hours in the battery the 3s 2900 mah has 32.19 wh and the 4s 2200 mah 32.56 wh, just over 1% more stored energy..................

Other factors like battery internal resistance will have a bigger impact on duration.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 29/10/2019 13:07:04

Thread: Best light wind slope soarer
28/10/2019 21:55:40

Dream Flight Alula is also great in light winds.

Thread: Spektrum set up
28/10/2019 21:36:47

Sounds like you need to set it up as a conventional wing, elevator will make it tilt forward and back and aileron left and right. On the elevator servo pulling back on the elevator stick will cause the rotor head to tilt back, left aileron will cause it to tilt to the left.

Have a read on the various autogyro threads for setting c or g and head angle etc.

Thread: Acrowot XL safety issue
28/10/2019 17:04:31

Jon, thanks I don't have one but a clubmate has (with a Laser 155), I'll let him know.

28/10/2019 17:00:24
Posted by Don Fry on 28/10/2019 16:29:41:

Auto gyros go as a fixed wing. I assume you have throttle, elevator, and rudder. The rotor is normally just a lifting device without servos.

Don, most autogyros have a pivoting head, which the servos tilt, depending on the set up the servos will either be set up as delta wing or conventional elevator/aileron.

Thread: Acrowot XL safety issue
28/10/2019 16:01:23

No recall notice on their website though. How do they know who has bought them?

28/10/2019 15:55:35

Depends how you have the pitch and roll servos set up for the rotor head control. If they both have to move for pitch and roll control then delta wing mixing if probably whats needed.

Thread: Rugby World Cup 2019.
26/10/2019 11:08:31

Immense !

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
25/10/2019 13:40:15

Last year I acquired a 2nd hand Laser 150, the version with the vertical plug and Irvine carb, it runs great but spews oil out of the front bearing. I remember the seller telling me the bearings had been replaced but I think the front bearing must be faulty. Before I strip the engine down is there anything else that could cause this to happen?

Lastly any recommendations on replacement bearings.

Thanks.

Thread: Electric Thrust
22/10/2019 17:33:09

Ecalc gives static thrust and pitch speed too, it also predicts if the propeller pitch is adequate, based on model weight and wing area etc.

Thread: Size of battery & alternatives
22/10/2019 08:09:30

I also use these connectors to avoid the spark when connecting up setups greater than a 6s. The connector with the inline resistor is fitted to the ESC and made up last.

21/10/2019 17:23:40

Yep that's what I do on a model that generates around 1800 watts, 2 x 5,000 mah 4s in series. I use 5.5mm connectors connect the two batteries together and then hook up to the ESC with the antispark connector last. Make sure your ESC can handle 8 cells as well, most can only go to 6 cells so you need to make sure that yours is OK on 8 cells.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 21/10/2019 17:24:19

Thread: Servo fitting and horns
19/10/2019 16:54:12

What you actually want to achieve is the required control surface movement using as much as the servo rotation as possible and move the control connection in/out to achieve this. What you don't want to do is find that you are reducing the end points/rates on the transmitter by a large amount to make the control surface move the required distance.

Thread: Chilli jam or chutney
18/10/2019 18:35:14

You've answered your own question, if it goes on buttered toast it's jam, bacon or cheese sarnies and it's a chutney or relish wink

Sounds tasty.

I made a batch of qunice and ginger jam last year, very tasty.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 18/10/2019 18:35:59

Thread: Motocalc or Ecalc?
18/10/2019 09:36:36

Simon, no problem in using IC props, just that they are slightly less efficient as they are thicker, especially at the hub, to accommodate the power pulses from an IC engine.

As for watts and amps, remember the watts = volts x amps, so max watts occur at max amps, if you are exceeding the amp rating of a motor or ESC and you aren't getting enough power then you need more volts and probably a different prop. This is where programs like Ecalc come in, you can experiment with different set ups without risking releasing the magic smoke.

BTW I have not used Motorcalc but do use Ecalc and drivecalc and like them both.

Thread: Cover and painting a plane
16/10/2019 18:09:23

I have recently covered a glider in Diacov, a version of Diatex with an adhesive backing, went on very well.

Hard to get in the UK, I got mine from Ronk Aviation in France.

Thread: Altitude announcements
16/10/2019 13:21:00

What is probably happening is that the altitude is updated on a cycle not a continuous analogue signal, so your plane may be at 99ft on one cycle and 103ft on the next, then the logic switch asks the Tx to read out the altitude it's moved onto the next cycle. Note on my MPX system which has the option to do interval readouts it exhibits exactly the same behavior.

So short of adopting Ron's forcing it to say 100ft I don't think there is a lot you can do.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us