By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LiPo battery packs
31/01/2009 18:19:16
What about connecting two 3s packs to make a 6s. I ran this combo through drivecalc (www.drivecalc.de) with a 13 x 6 prop and got the following

rpm 7599
Static Thrust 2045g
Current 15.3A

With a  14 x 7
rpm 7285
Static thrust 2372g
Current 22A

15 x 8
rpm 6874
Static Thrust 3064g
Current 31.2 A

It's a  fairly low KV motor so you'll need more volts (i.e more cells) to get the rpm up.
Thread: 2.4ghz compatibiltiy
29/01/2009 22:46:32
Would put one in your plane.....................
Thread: Gyro in a twin?
28/01/2009 22:28:07
Just make sure you don't get a heading hold gyro, as when you turn on ailerons it will apply opposite rudder.

I
Thread: 2.4ghz compatibiltiy
28/01/2009 20:12:23
Erfolg

Re your comment on encoding, I think the main IC chip will be unique to the manufacturer (or will be a standard one which has been configured for that manufacturer), the Rx is then loaded with the manufacturers "firmware" which is a computer program which decodes the the digital transmission and then checks the signal is accurate and passes on the instructions etc.

This is how Spektrum were able to update their Rx's to eliminate the "brownout" reboot time on their initial Rx's. It's alos why Futaba had the issue with incorrectly coded Tx's where they had the same Identification Code.

But it means if anybody wants to make a Rx to work with FASST or DSM system they have to either license the code from the original supplier or write it from scratch and make sure it works 100%.

27/01/2009 22:26:07
More suppliers bringing out 2.4 sets and modules will drive the prices down, having said that it's unlikely another manufacturer will make a Rx to suit Futaba's FASST technology as the Rx's are basically digital units and much like the 35 mhz PCM Rx's only work with Tx's from the same brand and without having the source code it's probably not that straight forward to reverse engineer it and guarentee 100% compatibility.

Futaba (or Ripmax) do seem to be pushing the loyalty of their users though.
Thread: Pick a plane 2009
25/01/2009 16:53:25
Grumman Goose (for twin electric)

Beechcraft Bonaza V tail twin (electric)

or 

EDF Hawker Hunter
Thread: Spektrum dx6i throttle programming
22/01/2009 14:06:30
I didn't think the DX6i instructions were to bad, It's quite easy in the instructions, go to travel adjust, select the channel and move the stick in the direction you want to reduce the travel and then adjust the travel to less that 100% with the scroll button. Try it with a servo and you'll see how easy it is.

What happens with some ESC's though is that they recalibrate themselves, so you reduce the throw in the Tx and they reclaibrate themselves so you get 100% at full stick.

Much better to put a smaller diameter or lower pitch prop on so you only pull 25 amps at max throw.
Thread: DX6i Trainer Mode
20/01/2009 16:42:32
Problem is the master Tx is usually the one doing the transmitting, so you would need a 2nd 2.4 Tx.
Thread: Density x Height x Gravity
17/01/2009 05:53:46
Is it me or are there some problems posting on the new site.
17/01/2009 05:52:45
Same effect with the inlet, varying the lenght can at certain harmonics give a small "supercharging" effect. Some of the high power fourstroke engines use variable length inlet tracts to maximise this effect at different rpm.

Takes me back to my 3rd yr engineering project (long while ago ) which was to look at effect of varying inlet tract length on a two stroke engine (MZ250 ) and plot the harmonics etc. After the test I checked the original air box and sure enough the inlet duct was the same length as the one that I had shown gave the max benefit. Get the wrong length and you will lower the pressure at the inlet port/valve just as it is opening having a negative effect.
17/01/2009 05:52:36
Same effect with the inlet, varying the lenght can at certain harmonics give a small "supercharging" effect. Some of the high power fourstroke engines use variable length inlet tracts to maximise this effect at different rpm.

Takes me back to my 3rd yr engineering project (long while ago ) which was to look at effect of varying inlet tract length on a two stroke engine (MZ250 ) and plot the harmonics etc. After the test I checked the original air box and sure enough the inlet duct was the same length as the one that I had shown gave the max benefit. Get the wrong length and you will lower the pressure at the inlet port/valve just as it is opening having a negative effect.
Thread: Mixing Servos, RX's and TX's
17/01/2009 05:38:04
The difference is that Futaba servo plugs have an extra tab on them, JR servo's (and others) don't have this extra tab.

So JR servo's will plug straight into a Futaba Rx but a you'll need to trim the tab off a Futaba servo to fit some other Rx's
Thread: Is it an age thing
16/01/2009 13:28:09

No Fleet Tx's when set to PPM will work with other Rx's and vice versa Fleet Rx's will work with other Tx's. But Fleet used different Channel allocations so you'll have to swap the servo plugs around.

Check your Tx batteries before you try out your Tx's though, they will be a bit old now and I know my PCM set Tx battery died after i hadn't used if for 6-9 months.

Thread: Spectrum DX6I
13/01/2009 10:24:00

Timbo, I don't think it is with the DX6i, phoenix sell a small adaptor to go from the standard (JR) to Dx6i socket. I think the DX7 is same as a JR but maybe the DX6i is slightly different.

http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shops/phoenixrc/spektrum-dx5edx6i-adaptor-11-p.asp

Thread: Electric props
11/01/2009 23:54:00

No real substitute for measuring actual current, but if you put both props in drive calc you get

11x 7

9310 rpm

static thrust = 2033g

Vopt = 80km/h

34.8A

495W

12 x 6

9125rpm

static thrust = 2428g

Vopt = 63 km/h

38.7A

550W

So 11 x 7 gives less static thrust but more speed, with your Spacewalker I would have thought that a bit more thrust would be beneficial rather than outright speed.

You can download this program (free) from here www.drivecalc.de

Some form of watt meter or ammeter (e.g. clamp meter which measures DC current) is a wise investment if you plan to get into electric flight.

Thread: Blizzard flights
11/01/2009 18:28:00
PM = Private or personnel Message, you get to it by going to your profile and selecting inbox and then compose message.
11/01/2009 16:48:00
/sites/3/images/member_albums/30438/3529-6_copy.jpg

Dave

The motor is similar to a Turnigy I've got on my 68" E-Flite Beaver and I started with a 13 x 6 but then went down to a 12 x 6 and this is fine. Might be better for your Spacewalker. Below is info from Drivecalc.

11/01/2009 11:56:00
The letter was in the Dec 2008 issue, send me a pm if you want a copy of the article
11/01/2009 00:29:00

Dave are you using a 4s or a 5s, I guess the 10 x 7 is for the 5s and the 11 x 7 for the 4s. APC props or APC clones are very good electric props.

What model are you planning to put it in?

11/01/2009 00:25:00

Have you done a range check with the motor at full power. There was a letter in RCME a couple of issues ago from somebody with a Futaba 2.4 set that lost control on take off, he subsequently did a range check at full throttle and found the Rx locked out.

Apparently the futaba instructions recommend positioning the Rx away from the motor and ESC andeither of the aerials should not be pointing at the motor. I'll see if I can find the issue and post on here.

0.4 amp should not be overloading the Rx or BEC

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!