By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Poorly OS40 repair
26/05/2020 12:14:42

Used to run my OS 40FS on either an 11x6 or 12x5, depending on the aircraft, ran well on either.

Thread: Seeking knowledge
26/05/2020 07:44:00

I think we are misinterpreting the suction aerofoil, there was only one glider fitted out and this was to investigate this. It was a research aircraft it was never the intent to fit this as standard to the gliders, it just happened to be a spare aircraft which could be repurposed to test this. Quite common to use existing aircraft to test new ideas.

Thread: Novice needs help!
25/05/2020 19:18:56

Tony, plug the bind plug in, then plug the battery into any free servo port. All the +ve and -ve pins are connected inside the receiver.

Thread: Seeking knowledge
24/05/2020 19:50:56
Posted by eflightray on 24/05/2020 18:55:35:

Number 28 -- Ford Mercury V8 engine ?

Perhaps they should have used the engine for propulsion.

As the link above notes only one glider was converted this way to test the suction wing. The gliders were never used in service.

Thread: Radio
23/05/2020 13:22:45
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 12:55:15:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/05/2020 10:48:14:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Have you seen this statement on Airteks website **LINK**

So they are still being made but a lack of European distribution due to a change in trading legislation means they have temporarily suspended sales?

Not legislation, Graupner Europe went bust and so far nobody else has decided to import, distribute and provide support , and there is no clear date for them being reintroduced. Bit the same with JR, their transmitters are still being made by the company (DEA?) that got the manufacturing rights but they are like rocking horse droppings.

23/05/2020 10:48:14
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Have you seen this statement on Airteks website **LINK**

Thread: Enya V Twins.
22/05/2020 13:31:45

So that's why this one hasn't sold!

I'd agree with Jon if you want a V twin to power an aircraft then one of his is a much better bet.

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
21/05/2020 07:54:50

Yes, but the problem maybe that it they are in parallel you will need to delivery >2 amps to light them both and the resistance the power panel would see is half that of a single plug, not sure if the power panel would be happy with that, and if one plug became open circuit then the other plug may then burn out. So a big single 1.5v cell powering both plugs maybe a better way than the power panel.

On my 200v I have wired the plugs up in series and power them from a 2v lead acid battery (accumulator?) seems to work well.

*Edit - Chris posted while I was writing"

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 21/05/2020 07:56:04

Thread: Is this a good propeller?
19/05/2020 07:49:39

Just ran the motor through Ecalc something like a 6 x 3 2 blade prop on a 2s lipo maybe a better option, at WOT this gives 9amps, 290g thrust and 37mph pitch speed at 12,900 rpm.

A 4.7 x 4 gives 6.5amps, 250g, 57mph at 15,000 rpm at WOT at 40% throttle thrust will be under 70g

A lower KV motor would be a better choice turning a larger prop at lower rpm.

Thread: flight modes
18/05/2020 23:26:55

I don't have a Dx7, but looking at the manual I see in the trim setup menu you can make the trim common or flight mode specific. I suspect that in other set up menus you can set parameters for each flight modes. Once you have activated flight modes then you will be able adjust some other parameters per flight mode, but I must admit that from the manual it looks like flight modes are pretty limited in power models and mainly used in sailplane programming.

18/05/2020 22:10:42

Not sure about Spektrum but on Multiplex the trim positions are, or can be, flight mode specific, so you could trim the launch mode to climb out. Can you set this on the DX7.

Thread: The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?
18/05/2020 13:40:24

Was sloping on Saturday, had to keep the models within 1000 m of the slope to avoid entering Wales wink

Thread: Electric Vulcan setup help please!
18/05/2020 13:35:44

Joe, that's another option, some of the 3 axis gyros have inbuilt Delta/V Tail mixing, so if you wanted a gyro to help stabilise the model you could go that way. A CC3D flight controller running Libre Pilot would do the same and you could even set up a safe mode on it but not sure how you'd trigger it from a 4 channel radio though.

18/05/2020 07:46:26

It doesn't look like that plane has flown with that transmitter, I guess the seller substituted it.

Also while the Vulcan might fly quite well, it will have no self righting capability, so saying it is forgiving to a beginner is stretching it a bit. Having said that many years ago after a few buddy box sessions with a normal trainer my lad got on great solo with a Wildthing delta glider, but every landing was a crash for a while! but that was the beauty of the Wildthing it was nigh on indestructable, still got mine and after let slope newbies have a go with it.

But if you are comfortable with your rtf planes in all attitudes and have some suitable long grass to test fly over then you may be OK. Are you comfortable trimming your rtf models.

17/05/2020 20:32:19

Which Dynam transmitter is it, The Detrum Gavins have elevon mixing (it might be called delta) and you'd plug the servos into the elevator and aileron channels.

Thread: Flaps
16/05/2020 20:35:56
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 16/05/2020 17:35:48:

Be aware of the added drag when landing, pull the nose up a few degrees and some models will stop dead almost right away. Be aware too that you might need an elevator flap mix. Again, it varied depending on model but in general lowering flaps causes a nose down pitch, especially if you have retracting gear as well. However, if your model is very light (like a funcub) and essentially has no need for flaps other than for fun, the model will pitch up with flap deployment. The same is also try if you fly too fast, obviously.

Which models are you building?

On a couple of high wing models with flaps, a Glenns Maule (now no more) and a Seagull Maxi Lift (Laser 150) the flaps cause the nose to pitch up, same with my friends Wilga. On my Maxi Lift I have around 60 Deg Flap for landing, this allows very steep approaches and short roll out. Without flap it just floats on forever. Another friends Zero also required a touch of down elevator mixed in with the flaps.

Thread: The Lockdown Restrictions Have Been Relaxed. Who's Been Flying?
15/05/2020 19:13:56

Very nice Pete, gave our strip it's 2nd cut this afternoon and a quick session with my MPX Heron, booming thermal went from 130m to 430m before I chickened out yes which was good as I thought the CAA operator number would affect performance cheeky

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 15/05/2020 19:14:58

Thread: Flying over private land
14/05/2020 19:40:48

Flying over the private land might not be an issue but how do you ensure any people, using the public footpath, not under your control don't approach you when you are planning to land?

Thread: Advice on using my old Futaba gear
14/05/2020 15:27:45

David, yep the lower battery voltage is fine, the actual 2.4 ghz circuitry runs at 3.3v so this isn't an issue. Also on the T6K you can fit a soldered pack, it shows you how in the instructions.

For gliders it's a better bet than the T6L as you get aileron differential, spoilerons (crow braking if you have flaps), camber etc etc. Plus Vario if you have the appropriate sensor in the aircraft.

The thing that I don't like about the T6K is that for some reason Futaba made the trainer switch non-spring loaded and on the top right of the Tx, which is the opposite of what they previously did (spring loaded top left) which is what all our instructors were used too, so for that reason it isn't a very good instructors radio!

Thread: For Better or for worse
14/05/2020 13:27:40

As it's obviously flown off the roof, did it have it's CAA operator ID attached, tut tut wink

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!