By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Favourite Non Scale Sport Bipe?
07/02/2019 21:31:45

Wots Wot is hard to beat, but I'll throw another couple in, Flair Puppeteer (never owned one but have flown others) and a bit left field the Towrag, not too many V tailed biplane towplanes (and it flies really well too)

towrag.jpg

Thread: Engine Identification
06/02/2019 20:08:46

Only just found them and was intrigued as to what they may be, don't have a silencer that would fit so no plans to run them at the moment, the larger one looks at least 10cc (and is missing a prop driver too).

The crackcases are machined so could be home made but the fins and heads look like they have been cast.

They are either a homebuild or possibly a very limited production run, can't be too old as the carbs are RC versions. Note not shown clearly in the photos, but the carbs are offset from the centre line so I suspect they have disc valve induction. We'll maybe have to strip one down for further investigation.

Thread: Are You A Speed Freak?
06/02/2019 20:00:09

They are both on the RC Models page when I go in, the airframe kit only at £44.95 and the full monty including MPX receiver for £364.95, the Kit only is good value but the full set up is more expensive than other places.

Maybe being sold off as the Fun Jet 2 is now out.

Thread: Engine Identification
05/02/2019 15:19:54

Not a lot, helping the widow of a club member sort out his modelling stuff and found these in a plastic bag. He wouldn't have made them, he was a wiz at model building but never got into machining.

05/02/2019 13:09:20

Anybody have any information on what these are?

dsc_0137.jpg

Thread: Fresh petrol in a lawnmower every season?
04/02/2019 13:25:24

A fellow club member has a plug in hybrid car, which he runs entirely on battery power for all his journeys, the other day it started to use the engine and a message came up that the engine was running because the fuel was getting old and needed to be used. He had filled it up several months previously and now it wants to use the fuel before it goes off.

BTW on our club mower we never drain the fuel and do our own servicing on a basis of "maybe it needs servicing now" the engine is still running fine, but the cutting deck, pick up and hydrostatic gear box are getting very tired, not sure if draining the petrol every year would have helped.......................... (BTW the mower is over 15 years old and kept outside)

Thread: small turbines
04/02/2019 08:47:29

Lambert micoturbines do the smallest turbines

Thread: T-tail linkage question
03/02/2019 16:40:25

Both of my T tail gliders, a MPX Heron and Staufenbeil Vegas have the elevator servo mounted in the tail with a straight pushrod to the elevator. The Heron uses a similar L bend in tube fitting to what you describe, but the tube is an engineered item which is glued into a recess in the elevator, the Vegas uses a small paxolin horn and standard clevis.

Would you feel brave enough cutting into vertical stab to fit a thin wing servo with a straight pushrod to the elevator, this would give you positive action with little or no slop.

Thread: Catastrophe!
02/02/2019 18:58:10

Jonathan a 2s Life Rx pack is fine, you don't need a 3s.

A123 cells are Life chemistry, but they are packaged like Nimh cells in a metal casing, very robust.

Thread: Six Nations 2019
02/02/2019 18:49:29

yesbeer Wow, great performance

Thread: What Sports Aerobatic for an ASP 70 Four Stroke?
02/02/2019 13:41:31

My Wots Wot with a Thunder Tiger 75FS is a peach.

Thread: Advice please on balancing LiPos
30/01/2019 09:00:53

Re balancing, when you are in balancing mode the charger diverts a small amount of the current around the higher voltage cells via the balance cable, so they charge up slower than the lower voltage cells, typically this is around 100 ma, which is why it can take a long time.

Thread: Blade mCPX and opentx
22/01/2019 16:21:21
Posted by Peter Christy on 21/01/2019 18:54:54:

You shouldn't really need the wizard for an mcpx - the stabiliser unit in the model looks after all the clever mixing (in theory!).

--

Pete

Pete, correct the only set up is the throttle/pitch curves for normal and 3D flight and they give you set ups for typical Spekky transmitters, so in theory all you should need to do is translate the Spekky curve %ages into Open Tx %. I am not familiar with Open Tx, but on the Spekky the travel on throttle and pitch goes from 0 to 100%, I think Open Tx goes -100 to +100% (but I maybe wrong), so to transfer the settings all you'd need tp do is, if Spekky = 0%, Open Tx = -100%, Spekky = 30% open tx = - 40%, Spekky = 50% open tx = 0%, etc

20/01/2019 18:41:18

Trebor, you are using some generic set ups based on Open tx for a 450x helicopter, reading the blade manual, they show 3 curves for Spekky radios as follows

1. Normal, straight line throttle curve, with pitch going from slight negative and increasing with throttle, so throttle/collective back gives motor stop/slow and negative pitch, advancing the throttle increases power and pitch.

2. Throttle is on full all the time and pitch moves from full negative at stick low to 0 pitch with stick at mid point to max +ve pitch with stick high, for 3D flying where you are flipping the helicopter over, tic tacs etc

3. as per 2 but throttle off, basically a get out of jail switch when it all goes wrong in 2 wink

I've got a Balde 300 and mCPX on my Spektrum and have only ever flown them in curve 1, wink 2 I don't have the reflexes or skill for 2.

Thread: Model Transport
18/01/2019 08:23:49

Would a glider carrying bag work, e,g, http://www.nexusmodels.co.uk/multiplex-glider-bag-763318.html

Thread: Exhaust Cleaning?
15/01/2019 16:28:06

Sounds a bit like the old P&R silencers, on those the tube was wrapped in a glass/metal fiber (I think) wool that you periodically replaced, on those you could pull the inner tube out.

Thread: Gyro assisted CofG
14/01/2019 18:42:51
Posted by supertigrefan on 14/01/2019 16:38:15:

Interesting stuff.

I'm under the impression that a flight stabiliser only 'intrudes' when there are no signal inputs so what effect would it have on an unstable aircraft once it receives a command?

Would it be imperceptible or would there be a momentary twitch between the stabiliser relinquishing control to the receiver?

Not quite true, in stablised mode the gyros are always working, what happens is that the stick position is then taken as a command to rotate the model around an axis and the unit then send instructions to the relevant servos. If you set the gain too low it can make the model responses very slow, too high and you can introduce instability, every model needs different gyro settings.

One thing the writer could do is run his models parameters through a program like https://www.ecalc.ch/cgcalc.php and then determine the maximum rearward c of g, I think if you actually move the c of g too far rearward, so you need a lifting tail section, could be very interested.

Thread: Motorcycles and model flying
14/01/2019 18:33:17
Posted by Don Fry on 14/01/2019 17:04:53:

Get a Jap bike and don't break down.

It would be easier to tell you what didn't go wrong with my Yamaha 350 (YR5) and the Honda 400F I had suffered from a self destructing fuse box, the 2 Moto Guzzi's were quite reliable, and I understand the modern Triumphs are every bit as good as their Far Eastern brethern

14/01/2019 14:08:43

My first RC plane was a Cambria Capstan glider which i used to take to the local slope on my Moto Guzzi V50, a long while ago and I can't remember how I strapped it on.

Re leaning sidecars I seem to recall when the 125 rules for learners was brought in there were some leaning 3rd wheels that could be added to turn an motor bike into a motorbike and side car as any size sidecar could be driven on a provisional license, http://reddevilmotors.blogspot.com/2016/02/sidewinder-learner-sidecar.html

Thread: Gyro assisted CofG
14/01/2019 13:55:45

It's an interesting one, in theory yes, but you usually have to do a few flights to tune the gyro to suit the plane, with ability to switch the gyro off being the get out of jail card. Will be interesting to use one in an unflown plane, but something like the Wingstabi with the Easy firmware where it automatically adjusts the gains might just work. Or a flight controller/gyro which has auto level capability (similar to the helicopter flybarless controllers).

I think I would test it out on a hack model, i.e. move the c of g back and then fit the gyro, before putting it in a nice scale model that hasn't flown before.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us