By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Frank Skilbeck

Here is a list of all the postings Frank Skilbeck has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Riot xl
14/06/2018 22:47:09

I've passed mine on, but with the biggest batteries that would fit in the battery bay it still needed some nose weight, did fly well though.

Thread: Vario
13/06/2018 22:56:02

I use a SM Modelbau Unisens E sensor in my Heron with my Multiplex radio, vario, altimeter, volts, amps and mah all in one small sensor, it works with Spektrum too, but I'm not familiar with the Lemon Rx and it's telemetry sensor interface.

Thread: Telemetry - do you use it? What do you think of it?
13/06/2018 07:58:57

+1 for the Unisens E sensors, I use them with my Multiplex gear and friend has one with his Futaba, English manual can be downloaded from here

Thread: July mag
11/06/2018 22:14:44

Almost finished reading mine laugh

Thread: Hi Nitro Glow Fuel
11/06/2018 16:24:23

the pilot might have also made a difference too.

Thread: Spektrum DX6 Tx battery alarm
09/06/2018 22:19:05

Phil, the Tx should run for way longer than 45 mins on a full charge, the typical operating current is around 200 ma, so a 2,000 mah set of enelopes should run for 10 hours or so not 45 mins. This suggests that he batteries are not being correctly charged, a faulty battery or the Tx is faulty, but for it to go flat in 45 mins it would be consuming over 2 amps and you'd notice it getting warm.

How are you charging the batteries, by the internal charger, what is the pack voltage straight off charge.

Thread: Difference between 2.4 module and 2.4 tx.
09/06/2018 21:35:31

Maybe the Txs and Modules do a different "handshake" with the receivers, JR have programmed their rxs to recognise both, but Orange haven't.

As there is no recognised 2.4 standard, unlike the old 35mhz ppm, it's a risk you take with reverse engineered products, if the OEM changes the standard then they will make it compatible with there own stuff but 3rd party manufacturers might not be aware that there are more than one standard.

Thread: Dynam Tiger Moth
03/06/2018 09:35:43

I had one, flew it for 3 years or so and then passed it onto a friend who has still got it, it's about 5 years old now and is standing up well.

Flies pretty well but is a pain to rig so we have both left it fully assembled. You have to judge the landings just right to stop it from nosing over, l found leaving a bit of power on helped, probably due to the prop wash over the elevator.

I reviewed it for RCMW and there's a video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-WLgOjTHpU

Thread: Cross controls with Vee Tails
28/05/2018 22:48:24

Steve, I have several V tail models, the rudder effect is different on each of them, on some applying rudder has little effect on others it's every bit as effective as a normal rudder. Mind you I have a Staufenbeil Vegas warmliner with a conventional rudder which is a waste of a servo!

Thread: What goes where?
27/05/2018 14:16:28

Although you're an experienced power flyer you might want to think what control you put the crow braking on, on my electric gliders (inc a Heron) I put the crow braking on the throttle stick, throttle back = full crow, with power on a slider. This way you can easily modulate the crow braking on landing.

BTW the Multiplex set up in the manual is pretty spot on.

Thread: Gliding video thread
26/05/2018 15:36:24

Own design 1/3rd scale IS-5, test flights at Middle Wallop last weekend

Thread: Silencer recommendations
26/05/2018 11:37:24
Posted by John Stainforth on 26/05/2018 11:30:40:

I'm sure I've read that a major cause of model engine noise the rotational speed of the prop tips. But, I must say I've always been a bit doubtful of that because of the much lower noise of electric engines running at similar rpm.

If the prop tips approach supersonic speeds they can be very noisy, but yes I have an electric plane turning a 18" dia prop and the DLA32 turning a similar prop and the electric plane is very quiet.

I'm going to fly the Maxilift at a few flyins with the DLA32 where there is not a noise limit and then think about my options, either better silencers or change it to a fourstroke (probably a laser on glow fuel and 10% oil).

Thread: Warbirds - engine recommendations
26/05/2018 11:32:41

jungmeister.jpg

Complete A Pac Jungmeister with ASP91, perfect, plan shows a Merco 61, maidened a couple of weeks ago after a 30 year build blush

Thread: Versatile slope soarer
26/05/2018 07:54:12

Just about any mouldie would fit the bill, my 1.8m Mini Blade will fly in everything from light winds to 40mph +, 2nd hand ones can be got for reasonable money.

The other option would be something like a Chris Foss Phase 6

16/05/2018 08:15:31

Some interesting thoughts there Robin, wonder if anybody has ever tested a gun silencer as an add on silencer. Although you might get a knock on the door if you tried to order one on-line wink

Thread: Reading the wrong frequency...??
15/05/2018 20:15:39
Posted by Kevin Wilson on 15/05/2018 19:35:16:

I cannot recall anyone manufacturing a 35mHz AM transmitter, I have only seen 35 FM since the early 80s.

Acoms did one, but I never saw one at the field, found this one on a sale site https://picclick.co.uk/ACOMS-DIGITAL-PROPORTIONAL-RADIO-CONTROL-SYSTEM-3-CHANNEL-222888367666.html

13/05/2018 08:33:31

Thanks for all the suggestions, some food for thought. I haven't fitted the cowl yet, so may fit that and change the prop to an 18x10 which I have and see how much difference that makes.

It was a 2nd hand engine and although it runs really well it does have a couple of damaged fins, so I'm reluctant to spend a significant amounts on it, might be better putting the money to a petrol 4 stroke (come on Laser hurry up wink) .

12/05/2018 22:57:45

Just putting a toe in the water with petrol with a 32cc DLA, I've fitted a Pitts muffler with internal baffles, but it still fails the club noise test, it's 90 DBA at 7 meters and needs to be 82 DBA.

It's running a wooden 18 x 8 prop at the moment and runs really well, any recommendations on a silencer I can fit that would get the noise level down to 82 DBA.

Thread: Electric Cars.
09/05/2018 22:11:35
Posted by Don Fry on 09/05/2018 19:23:22:

Frank, as a correction, thermodynamics demands, that efficiency is a consequence of the difference between the hot and cold end of the machine. The science does not care where the heat comes from.

Yes, but efficiency of a fossil fuel plant is a measure of how much of the stored energy is turned into useful energy and the rest just emitted (thrown away) as heat.

09/05/2018 18:57:11

We have plenty of gas too, if the anti-fracking NIMBYs didn't keep objecting to fracking.

BTW gas fired power stations are about the most efficient means of fossil fuel power generation there is, gas turbines followed by using the hot exhaust gases to produce steam, gives a thermal efficiency around 60% compared to an IC engine which would struggle to get to 30%.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Slec
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us