By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Matthew Leese

Here is a list of all the postings Matthew Leese has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BMFA Nationals 2017
26/08/2017 22:02:11

Had a fantastic day at the Nats today. Great weather, superb variety of aircraft and disciplines. Excellent showline airshow with some great aircraft. Commentary by Nik Johnson very good and a great improvement on previous events. Superb organization by the BMFA.Entry fee the best ten pounds I have spent in a while. Just how a show should be. If you are undecided about attending tomorrow,GO! You won't be disappointed.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 26/08/2017 23:19:23

Thread: Festival of Flight
20/08/2017 07:43:05
I agree with ChrisB. Weston Park was ruined this year by the commentary. Everyone sitting around us was passing comment on how awful the sound was. The commentary sets the whole tone of the event, that's why with Dave Bishop commenting, you got the family show feel. Now I'm afraid we have the cheap wedding DJ when everyons drunk feel. Very sad. We also won't be attending Weston or Ragley next year if this continues. I feel we all need to let the Bishop boys know how we feel to be fair to them.
19/08/2017 23:57:37
Not at all cool. Hope the Bishops go with another option for commentator next year.
19/08/2017 23:23:12
Nik Johnson should take note of the LMA shows commentary. Their commentary is always very informative, relevent to what is in the air at the time,good humoured and respectful of the pilots skill on show.
19/08/2017 23:14:24
Come back Dave Bishop. "He's British you know!"
Really missed him from the shows this year. What a legend. I'm sure Nik Johnson is a nice guy but I have to agree that his commentary style irritates.
Thread: Cosford this weekend
15/07/2017 19:57:10

Just back from a brilliant day at Cosford. In my opinion todays LMA show was excellent. Good organisation, a truly varied and interesting flying display, good trade presence and a really informative commentary that for once could be easily heard. Well worth the £10 entrance fee. The free shuttle bus across to the RAF museum was a great idea that was being used by many. If you are thinking of maybe going tomorrow I would thoroughly recommend you do. Top marks to the LMA team for organising a show that didn't disappoint. Best wishes for another great day tomorrow!

Thread: Disappointing Long Marston Show
05/06/2016 23:56:58

Totally agree. Quite disappointing this year. Good old Dave Bishop did his best to give a good commentary on a lack lustre line up. On the way home my 9 year old daughter asked if the show was just for jets? We left at 3pm when the Thunderbird F16 was sent up for a THIRD time. Just seemed to be a repetetive parade of ARTF jets and Hangar 9 aircraft.We have supported this show from the start but won't be back next year unless the variety of participating aircraft improves. Roll on Weston Park. Now there's a varied, interesting show!

Thread: Hobbyking
03/07/2014 11:22:20

I too love Hobbyking.

I have made 72 separate orders so far! They are constantly bringing out new products and updating old ones. Prices are excellent. The range is vast. Sadly, I dont have a model shop close to me so HobbyKings UK warehouse has been a Godsend. Postage? £5.90 for 24hr courier service! Not bad at all. I just order enough items to make it worth while. I would support my local model shop if there was one and they had stock of what I needed. As there isnt one around here, long may HobbyKings rise continue!

I just hope that they don't sell out to some big company and everything changes, as happened with www.giantcod (www.giantshark)! I try and order from these guys too but am constantly frustrated by zero stock levels on many items I need. A real shame as they are great guys.

Matt

Thread: Weston Park 2014 chat
15/06/2014 19:46:20

I thought this was the best Weston Park show for many years. The growing number of overseas pilots is truly bringing some interesting models to the show. I went with the family,thats me, my wife, my dad and 4 children! We all had a great day out for £39. A bargain as we all thoroughly enjoyed the show! Was disappointed that Ali Machinchy didnt fly more but understand that he was a late entry as he now works mostly in the USA. My little girl was thrilled to get a picture with him though. A true gentleman. I thought the prices on some trade stands were a little steep too. I saw a Hobbyking Durafly Sky Mule on sale for £175.00 on one stall that you can buy brand new from hobbyking for £118.00 ! All in all though, a great show that was a credit to the Bishop boys. Oh and my little girls loved the toffee drop!

Thread: Noooo!!! Ali Machinchy Is Leaving!
11/03/2014 08:15:10

Nooo! Ali is leaving!

Im sure that many are aware that Ali MAchinchy has taken a job with Horizon Hobby and will be leaving the uk to live in the USA. I for one would like to congratulate him and wish him all the best in his new endeavour. His presence at the UK shows will be sorely missed. He always seems to "get" what the public want to see. He has certainly inspired me in my modelling hobby. He also is a true gentleman. Last year at Weston Park, he noticed that a large group of display pilots were standing up talking just the other side of the crowd barrier in front of where myself and my two small daughters were trying to watch the flying display. He came over and politely but firmly told the pilots to sit down or go the other side of the barrier! Also a few years ago at Rougham he took the time to show my 4 year old daughter around his A10 Thunderbolt. She was enthralled.

So who wants to join me in thanking Ali for his huge contribution to the UK modelling hobby scene?

The other major downside is, who's name will good old Dave Bishop of DB Sound now have to constantly mispronounce??!

Matt

Thread: Speed with Guy Martin
13/01/2014 07:34:50

Yes I enjoyed watching this too. Earlier in the year, Ali MAchinchy spent a day filming with Guy Martin at Breighton Airfield where he taught him to fly a Parkzone Radian electric glider (there are picturs of this day on Alis Facebook page). I was expecting to see this in the program tonight but I can only conclude that this part was cut unless anyone knows otherwise?

Thread: weston park model air show 14/15/16 June 2013
17/06/2013 07:26:19

Well I loved Weston Park this year. Good variety of planes and pilots, the Germans were fantastic! Took the whole family and they all enjoyed it, even the wife!

For those who say that £11 is too expensive please remember that putting on a public diplay like this is expensive. Public liability insurance, services, rent of grounds etc all have to be paid for. When you consider you pay £10 just to see a 2hour 3D film at the cinema I think that £11 per adult/£28 for a family ticket was cracking value.

Also, having endured some very dreary commentators at other shows recently I think DB's commentary was engaging and amusing. Added to that, just when we were being frustrated by a line of show pilots who insisted on standing and talking (and swearing!) right in front of us blocking the view of the action for our two small girls, he asked all show pilots to sit down if not actively flying,readying models etc. Good on yer Dave! He's a legend.

Just wanted to say thanks to Steve Bishop for another excellent show. Didnt go Friday so cant comment on that , but Sundays show was the best this year by far.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!