By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peewhit

Here is a list of all the postings Peewhit has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Does anyone have a Bedlam?
27/03/2008 11:58:00

Thanks Tom,

HS 82 servos are in the wing at 50% of aileron with about 2mm of EPP left on the wing thickness.

Wires are soldered and in the wing.

A bit of lightweight filler, cross weave tape, profilm and glass tape hing for the ailerons then the wing is finished.

After that, the battle of the tailplane commences!

25/03/2008 20:16:00

Hi folks,

Think I have now cracked (not literally) this correx tailplane thing.

If you cut out about 1/4" of the centre of the correx on the leading edge, it just folds together and diamond tape keeps it there nicely, Hence a nice aerodynamic leading edge.

Thinking of doing the same with the fin, and poking the aerial out of the back of the fuz, as per normal

16/03/2008 18:52:00

Hi Tom and Alan,

Now have the guts of the wing built (no centre section or covering yet and am looking at positioning for the aeleron servos.

The logical position is 50% of the aeleron span yet the leads on my servos are not long enough!

Does this mean a second servo extension lead with one connection buruied in the wing, or would it be better to extand the wiring with a simlpe soldered and insulated join?

Peter.

15/03/2008 16:03:00

Many thanks for all the tips on the tailplane

Have four Hitec HS 82MG servos and will definitely have rudder control - how else can you perform stall turns.

Peter.

12/03/2008 19:04:00

Thanks Lawnski and will let u know when it is built and flying.

how did u treat the leading edge of the correx tailplane?

11/03/2008 19:01:00

Hi Tom,

The Bedlam arrived yesterday and all the bits in the box are now starting to make some sense.

Have had a look at the correx tailplane and see what you mean.

Concluded that the leading edge needs to be rounded in some way, and I don't know if you have already done this on yours.

Had a very useful chat with Stan at Phoenix and discoved that epoxy/microballons will not stick very well to this stuff.

Stan suggests trimming it with "evostick stuck" plastic tube as per the aerial conduit on the fin.

Standard electric cable with the wire stripped out should do the job nicely.

So, will it be red, black or that pretty green/white earth sleeving that comes without the wire in?

Kind Regards,

Peter.

08/03/2008 11:52:00

Hi Tom and thanks for all the tips.

I intend to build this thing to be as streamlined as possible with but joins to the cw tape on both fuselage and wings.

Profilm is wonderful stuff - the best covering material I have found so far!

I fly on the North Yorks Moors where at times you have to get back from the edge of the hill just to stand up!

So, lots of headwind and lift with turbulence behind the ridge - need to fly a fair way back for a decent landing.

Have a Multiplex IPD mini receiver with plugs at the end, and have ordered (I think) the correct battery.

Now, about that tailplane and fin - understand the need for indestructibility - trashed the tailplane on my Middlephase last week.

Just wondering what the performance would be like if the tailplane was constructed of, say ply, as opposed to correx? - I do like to tinker with these things!

07/03/2008 18:49:00

Thanks Tom,

Am now convinced to get one - in fact have ordered it.

What sort of wind speed will it cope with before ballast is heeded?

Peter

03/03/2008 19:22:00

Spoilers with some down elevator mixed in then.

Thanks to your help, I have decided to go ahead and order a Bedlam.

An everyday model with good earobatic performance is just what I am looking for.

I suppose that for light lift, I could then dial in some DOWN flap!!!

Will let you know when it is up and flying.

Regards,

Peter.

03/03/2008 18:26:00

Thanks Alan for the very useful information.

I have a small Multiplex IPD receiver and am planning to use metal geared HS 82 servos - the replacement for HS 81.

And now for the eternal question - for landing is it better to use the aelerons as spoilers (up) or as flaps (down)?

Thanks again,

Peter.

01/03/2008 18:28:00

I am thinking of buying a Phoenix Models Bedlam.

Does anyone have experience of this model?

ie how fast and aerobatic actually is it?

Any tips on building and set up?

Thread: What aerobatic slope soarer?
14/02/2008 10:11:00

Andy,

I fly on the North Yorks Moors which is a fairly windy place at the best of times, and I have an Easy Glider Electric which I play with when there is no wind.

I am looking to replace my Middlephase with something faster and more aerobatic.

Something to cope with say 15 to 25 mph wind (don't really want to have to mess around with ballast) which will be fun to fly and perform good aerobatics - not necessarily precision ones.

Budget is £400 (preferably less) and I am still leaning towards the flap version of the Voltij in carbon.

Peter.

13/02/2008 20:09:00

Thanks Andy,

Have heard that the Banana is also critical to set up so the Voltij is looking favourite.

Will check out the Wasabi as you suggest.

Peter

Thread: Sirius XL vs. Easyglider
12/02/2008 19:34:00

I have an easy glider electric which flies beautifully and will cope easily with wind up to about 12mph with no ballast.

Actually, I am on my second one due to the tail feathers falling off at about 100ft - elapor foam is pretty indestrustible, but will not withstand that.

If you do get an easyglider, make sure to use CA glue and KICKER for the assembly - I didn't use kicker the first time round and the tail literally became unstuck.

I did use kicker for the second one and have had no problems.

For the battery, get the biggest capacity you can afford. I have a FlightPower Evo 25 which is a 2S Lipo with 3300MAh capacity. This has not yet run out over many sessions with 12+ launches.

With the aelerons used as spoilerons, the easyglider is a doddle to land.

Hope this helps,

Peter,

Thread: What aerobatic slope soarer?
10/02/2008 22:07:00

Hi folks,

Have graduated into slope soaring using a Chris Foss Middlephase (aeleron version), have tuned up the conrols, set back the CG, and have reached the stage where I can throw this thing all around the sky with confidence.

Hence I am looking for a fast and fully aerobatic model of around 2M wing span.

On the short list so far are the Baudismodel Banaba and Aeromod Voltij.

Does anyone have first hand experience of these, or can recommend a good alternative?

Thanks in anticipation,

Peter.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us