By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Andy Blackburn

Here is a list of all the postings Andy Blackburn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: OS 46 LA inverted, won't idle
18/06/2008 12:07:00

I believe the OS 46 LA manual reccommends that you turn the air bleed screw "...half a turn at a time...". Does that sound about right, or not?

11/06/2008 20:06:00

I've taken the engine out and checked the backplate (which was OK) and the carb (which was secure, with both screws present). It's not the plug (tried several).

I'll look at the air bleed hole and the main needle over the next few days, if that doesn't work I'll try an OS type F. I have to say, though, that it looked more like a fuel issue than a plug problem...

Andy

06/06/2008 14:48:00

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll fettle it over the weekend and probably try another run next week. BTW, tried 3 separate plugs without success.

It did subsequently occur to me that the carb air bleed hole might be blocked. Or maybe the needle is bent?

05/06/2008 22:20:00

I have a second-hand OS 46 LA bought from a fellow club member, mounted inverted in a Great Planes Venus 40; starting is OK although it occasionally starts backwards when starting by hand. In its previous incarnation, it ran fine when mounted upright.

Full power looks OK (about 11,000 rpm on an 11 x 7) but the problem is that it just won't idle for any length of time, even when set quite fast (3-4,000 rpm). The idle is a bit erratic anyway and gradually gets slower over the course of about 20-30 seconds and then it stops. If the throttle is opened before it stops it hesitates and there's a lot of white smoke from the exhaust so it's clearly running far too rich, but no amount of fiddling with the carb air-bleed adjustment makes any difference at all. The fuel system is as per the kit (3 line set-up), and the tank won't fit any lower.

Something is clearly Not Quite Right, but I have no idea what it might be. Anyone got any ideas?

Andy Blackburn

Thread: Pick a plane 2008
09/03/2008 15:00:00

My top three of the top 12 on the shortlist:

1. Mosquito (preferably Mk XIII, with retracts).

2. Hurricane (with retracts).

3. Beaufighter.

NOT the Whirlwind. Sorry.

Thread: Pick a plane 2008!
20/01/2008 21:24:00

Perttime wrote

> Lots of people are asking for plans that are easily available for a few £, $ or €.Or even plans that have been published as RCME free plans within the last decade or so.

Personally, I think it's OK to vote for models that already exist; if a model is popular, it'll probably have been "done" many times. And the perfect plan has yet to be drawn...

A. 

20/01/2008 13:50:00

My votes are:

1. Hawker Hunter (EDF) -  maybe the two-seater to be a bit different (please use a proper airfoil so that it can also be flown off the slope)

2. Folland Gnat (EDF

3.  Fairey Flycatcher (electric, maybe 3s/10 cells)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us