By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Holland 2

Here is a list of all the postings David Holland 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
01/09/2019 21:12:41

Thanks, Richard and applogies for the delay, been away playing trains. Will try an extra shim, I'm sure you mentioned that at the NATs. Enjoyed the video.

Regards,

David

28/08/2019 19:54:41

Richard, sorry to be a pain but a bit of advice, please. I tried to fly "Nellie" again yesterday and could not get the rotor up to speed. There was very little wind but our patch is quite long and no amount of taxiing would get the rpm sufficient to take off. After Saturday I found one of the servo arms had cracked (probably that last "landing" and replaced them with ones a little shorter. The blades just clear the rudder at full back stick so I don't think I'm short of movement. Any ideas?

Regards,

David

Thread: Cub. Which Cub?
28/08/2019 19:46:19

Hello William, can I give a thumbs up for the DB kit. I built one many years ago, in fact shortly after Mr Boddington produced the model. I am still flying it now. It is pretty close to scale and, I'm sure, the current kit from DB Sport & Scale has refined it with modern techniques, laser cutting etc. I'm also sure you are aware that, although a J3 looks like a trainer, it does have a few handling quirks.

David

26/08/2019 21:35:17

Richard, to say I was pleased is a bit of an understatement! To see it flying and to have a couple of flights myself was a real buzz. I can't thank you enough for designing and developing the Revolver and for sharing it with us through the forum and the magazine. Thank you also for taking the time on Saturday to check Nellie out and trim it for me. To anyone hesitating about building a Revolver, go on, take the plunge. You'll love it. It is a little different to flying a fixed wing aircraft but not that difficult (can't be, I flew mine and landed it in one piece) and is quite addictive. I'm hoping for a couple more flights tomorrow.

It was a great pleasure to meet you, Richard, and thanks again for the help and encouragement.

Regards,

David

20/08/2019 17:10:12

PM received, Richard, and I have replied. I can't believe the forecast, decent weather for the Nats, unheard off. Didn't try flying it today, still a bit too breezy for an attempt at a maiden. See you Saturday.

David

20/08/2019 10:23:47

Oooh, thank you, kind sirs! Richard, I am going to the Nats on Saturday and would love to take you up on your kind offer. Perhaps you could PM me with a contact number and we could meet up in the evening?

David

19/08/2019 16:50:57

i have finished my Ken Wallis version of the Revolver and am really pleased with it. Great fun building something different , never having tried an autogyro before. I took it to the field yesterday with the intention of doing a few trimming hops but the wind was so strong that the rotor spun up and it blew backwards and I didn't have the bottle to open the throttle (cor, that rhymes). I'm going to try again tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Richard, did I imagine it or did you say you fly Mode 1 and will be at the RCM&E Fly-in at Buckminster, and if so would you consider maidening it for me if I chicken out tomorrow?

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 19/08/2019 17:00:12

Thread: Removing balsamic/coverloc
28/06/2019 20:12:10

Aw, nuts. I have been desperately fighting the urge to make a childish comment like " have you tried rubbing it with ciabatta dipped in olive oil", then Bob goes and destroys my resolve !! Gareth, did you use Prymol before the balsaloc? If not it should almost peel off.

Good luck,

David

20/05/2019 10:07:04

Morning Richard, I'm about to start building a Revolver, I've got all the materials together and the bits have arrived from Coolwind (great service and quality, bye the way). I shall try and fly it with the three blade head but would like to progress to the two blade set up if I succeed. I am congenitally incapable of building anything exactly as designed (really annoying, I know) and intend changing the pod/fuselage shape a little to more resemble a Wallis WA-116. You say in the build article that the canopy is "optional" so can I assume that side area in front of the CG is not critical? Seems you have a winner here, there is a lot of interest, good on yer!

regards,

David

Thread: June mag
09/05/2019 19:56:11

Evening all, has anyone received the June magazine yet? I'm desperate for part 2 of Richard's Revolver and last month's "next Issue" said available 10th May and the subscription copy usually comes a few days before. Forum home page says available 29th April but I suspect that must be finger trouble.

David

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/04/2019 20:49:29

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The chippie is such a pretty little aeroplane, isn't it. It was fascinating to do a bit of research during the build. Clever design touches, firewall to just behind the rear cockpit is parrellel, then the rear fuselage is a straight taper, conical though not circular in cross section. Doesn't look at all angular, though does it? There is then a band riveted around the join to reinforce it. Then there is a panel, hinged at its trailing edge on the top of the canopy which can be deployed in the event of it being necessary to depart the aircraft in flight, using the slipstream to assist the opening of the canopy. Looking forward to the maiden. Good to know the kits will be available again, quite fancy the Auster. Certainly the quality of the Chipmunk kit was right up there.

David

09/04/2019 16:02:51

Afternoon All, do you remember, I think it was about 2014, Kevin B and ZK BAP arranged the importation of a batch of Airsail kits from NZ? I got a DHC 1 Chipmunk and I have just finished it. Not going to lie, I am chuffed to bits with it!! The kit was a pleasure to build and I tried a few new (to me) techniques finishing it. It weighs about 7 1/2 lbs with a 6s 5000 lipo and I added flaps and nav, beacon and landing lights. I met up with a delightful lady who displays WG286 (G-BBND) based at Old Warden and we had a great day flying from Sywell (my home base) to O W and crawling all over ND photographing its every detail. Also got loads of pictures of the Shuttleworth SE5a for my next project. Anyway, would you mind if I am really show-offy and stick a few pics of the finished article?Chippie

Thread: Prymol
04/04/2019 20:40:24

i've been using some Halfords own brand rattle cans on my current project and am impressed with them. What colour is their plastic primer, D_f, please tell me it's clear!!

David

04/04/2019 13:03:45

Thanks, Don, Homebase seem to stock that, I'll give it a try. I wonder if the primer used on plastic car parts would work?

David

04/04/2019 12:31:33

Morning All, does anyone know of an alternative to Prymol? Nearly run out and can't find anyone with stock including Solarfilm Sales.

Cheers, David

Thread: swopping switches
09/01/2019 22:11:47

Good question, Dennis. I've been building/flying model aeroplanes for about 60 years and am probably as good as I'm ever going to get, and that's not saying a lot!! Almost competent, perhaps? The main problem is my incipient OCD which means having a function available but that does not work as intended offends every fibre of my being.

David

09/01/2019 21:45:37

Good evening, oh thou fonts of all knowledge.

I have just bought a Lemon Rx Stabiliser Plus receiver to put in a Cub which can carry a Mobius video camera on various mountings, the plan being that the stabiliser will damp some of the turbulence induced (or should that be, pilot induced?) wobbles that make some of the footage a bit nausea threatening. It has 3 modes, off, gyro and wing leveller and is hard wired to use channel 5 (gear) for mode selection and channel 8 (aux 3) for master gain. I use an old and trusty DX8 (first generation) tx which has a two position gear switch (why would you need three positions for retracts?) and it is not possible to reassign another (three position switch) to channel 5. I have managed to work out a mix between aux 2 (three position switch) and gear which gives me +100%, 0%, -100% which will control the three modes of the stabiliser, however, I at last get to my question. Is it possible to physically rewire the aux 2 switch to channel 5? It is the third wire from the aux 2 switch that worries me, where would that go to give the centre position on channel 5. I haven't taken the back off the tx yet in case you tell me it is not possible to swop the switches. I am fairly competent with a soldering iron but a total nightmare with electronics , so if it is straightforward wire connecting, I'm the man but if it is more involved than that I'll stick with my somewhat inelegant mix.

Thanks for your anticipated help,

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 09/01/2019 21:46:06

Thread: Flashing LEDs
29/12/2018 22:07:46

I knew the answer would be instantly forthcoming, thanks for the suggestions. I have googled electronic components are they really are cheap as chips and I quite fancy trying one or more of the circuits suggested. I assume I can use that pre-drilled circuit board (can't remember what it's called, Ive got "veroboard" circling behind my eyeballs but I might have made that up).

Thanks again for all your help,

David

29/12/2018 11:58:30

Thanks, C8, that looks straightforward. Would you know if I would need to change any component values to work at a lower voltage, 5.5v as opposed to the 9v specified on the circuit diagram? What a shame Maplins is no moore, I could have nipped down there and picked up the necessary to experiment.

David

29/12/2018 11:16:11

Morning Gents, hope you all had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

I am close to completing an Airsail Chipmunk, lovely kit and a pleasure to build, and think I would like to add working navigation and landing lights and a simulated rotating, anti-collision beacon. Nav and landing lights are no problem but I can't find a flashing LED with a slow enough blink rate to look realistic. The best I can find is 2.4Hz and I really want 1Hz at the most. Can any of the electronic gurus out there suggest a SIMPLE circuit that would give me the flash rate I need, preferably working from the 5.5v BEC output?

Many thanks in advance,

David

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us