By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Holland 2

Here is a list of all the postings David Holland 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Revolver Pusher type Autogyro trainer
20/05/2019 10:07:04

Morning Richard, I'm about to start building a Revolver, I've got all the materials together and the bits have arrived from Coolwind (great service and quality, bye the way). I shall try and fly it with the three blade head but would like to progress to the two blade set up if I succeed. I am congenitally incapable of building anything exactly as designed (really annoying, I know) and intend changing the pod/fuselage shape a little to more resemble a Wallis WA-116. You say in the build article that the canopy is "optional" so can I assume that side area in front of the CG is not critical? Seems you have a winner here, there is a lot of interest, good on yer!

regards,

David

Thread: June mag
09/05/2019 19:56:11

Evening all, has anyone received the June magazine yet? I'm desperate for part 2 of Richard's Revolver and last month's "next Issue" said available 10th May and the subscription copy usually comes a few days before. Forum home page says available 29th April but I suspect that must be finger trouble.

David

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
09/04/2019 20:49:29

Thanks for the kind words, guys. The chippie is such a pretty little aeroplane, isn't it. It was fascinating to do a bit of research during the build. Clever design touches, firewall to just behind the rear cockpit is parrellel, then the rear fuselage is a straight taper, conical though not circular in cross section. Doesn't look at all angular, though does it? There is then a band riveted around the join to reinforce it. Then there is a panel, hinged at its trailing edge on the top of the canopy which can be deployed in the event of it being necessary to depart the aircraft in flight, using the slipstream to assist the opening of the canopy. Looking forward to the maiden. Good to know the kits will be available again, quite fancy the Auster. Certainly the quality of the Chipmunk kit was right up there.

David

09/04/2019 16:02:51

Afternoon All, do you remember, I think it was about 2014, Kevin B and ZK BAP arranged the importation of a batch of Airsail kits from NZ? I got a DHC 1 Chipmunk and I have just finished it. Not going to lie, I am chuffed to bits with it!! The kit was a pleasure to build and I tried a few new (to me) techniques finishing it. It weighs about 7 1/2 lbs with a 6s 5000 lipo and I added flaps and nav, beacon and landing lights. I met up with a delightful lady who displays WG286 (G-BBND) based at Old Warden and we had a great day flying from Sywell (my home base) to O W and crawling all over ND photographing its every detail. Also got loads of pictures of the Shuttleworth SE5a for my next project. Anyway, would you mind if I am really show-offy and stick a few pics of the finished article?Chippie

Thread: Prymol
04/04/2019 20:40:24

i've been using some Halfords own brand rattle cans on my current project and am impressed with them. What colour is their plastic primer, D_f, please tell me it's clear!!

David

04/04/2019 13:03:45

Thanks, Don, Homebase seem to stock that, I'll give it a try. I wonder if the primer used on plastic car parts would work?

David

04/04/2019 12:31:33

Morning All, does anyone know of an alternative to Prymol? Nearly run out and can't find anyone with stock including Solarfilm Sales.

Cheers, David

Thread: swopping switches
09/01/2019 22:11:47

Good question, Dennis. I've been building/flying model aeroplanes for about 60 years and am probably as good as I'm ever going to get, and that's not saying a lot!! Almost competent, perhaps? The main problem is my incipient OCD which means having a function available but that does not work as intended offends every fibre of my being.

David

09/01/2019 21:45:37

Good evening, oh thou fonts of all knowledge.

I have just bought a Lemon Rx Stabiliser Plus receiver to put in a Cub which can carry a Mobius video camera on various mountings, the plan being that the stabiliser will damp some of the turbulence induced (or should that be, pilot induced?) wobbles that make some of the footage a bit nausea threatening. It has 3 modes, off, gyro and wing leveller and is hard wired to use channel 5 (gear) for mode selection and channel 8 (aux 3) for master gain. I use an old and trusty DX8 (first generation) tx which has a two position gear switch (why would you need three positions for retracts?) and it is not possible to reassign another (three position switch) to channel 5. I have managed to work out a mix between aux 2 (three position switch) and gear which gives me +100%, 0%, -100% which will control the three modes of the stabiliser, however, I at last get to my question. Is it possible to physically rewire the aux 2 switch to channel 5? It is the third wire from the aux 2 switch that worries me, where would that go to give the centre position on channel 5. I haven't taken the back off the tx yet in case you tell me it is not possible to swop the switches. I am fairly competent with a soldering iron but a total nightmare with electronics , so if it is straightforward wire connecting, I'm the man but if it is more involved than that I'll stick with my somewhat inelegant mix.

Thanks for your anticipated help,

David

Edited By David Holland 2 on 09/01/2019 21:46:06

Thread: Flashing LEDs
29/12/2018 22:07:46

I knew the answer would be instantly forthcoming, thanks for the suggestions. I have googled electronic components are they really are cheap as chips and I quite fancy trying one or more of the circuits suggested. I assume I can use that pre-drilled circuit board (can't remember what it's called, Ive got "veroboard" circling behind my eyeballs but I might have made that up).

Thanks again for all your help,

David

29/12/2018 11:58:30

Thanks, C8, that looks straightforward. Would you know if I would need to change any component values to work at a lower voltage, 5.5v as opposed to the 9v specified on the circuit diagram? What a shame Maplins is no moore, I could have nipped down there and picked up the necessary to experiment.

David

29/12/2018 11:16:11

Morning Gents, hope you all had a great Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours.

I am close to completing an Airsail Chipmunk, lovely kit and a pleasure to build, and think I would like to add working navigation and landing lights and a simulated rotating, anti-collision beacon. Nav and landing lights are no problem but I can't find a flashing LED with a slow enough blink rate to look realistic. The best I can find is 2.4Hz and I really want 1Hz at the most. Can any of the electronic gurus out there suggest a SIMPLE circuit that would give me the flash rate I need, preferably working from the 5.5v BEC output?

Many thanks in advance,

David

Thread: Crow braking with a DX8
01/10/2018 10:06:17

Cor, I'm getting good at these mixes, l've now got 50% rudder programmed in with spoilerons deployed, thanks for the tip. I did think aileron effectiveness looked a bit compromised. My instinct is that I might need some up elevator mixed in with spoileron, what do you think? Thanks for the help,

David

30/09/2018 16:30:06

Thanks for the info, fellas, never thought to see if the question had been asked on the forum before. Shaun, you are correct, no flaps hence the spoileron/flaperon route. Got it set up now. One final thought, are upwardly deflected ailerons more effective at dumping lift than downward at increasing drag?

David

29/09/2018 13:50:52

Good afternoon, gents. Tried slope soaring for the first time of the Great Orme last weekend and loved it. Flew a Max Thrust Lightning and a Wildthing, both were great fun and the Wildthing was really easy to land as it seems almost indestructible and could be "dumped" with impunity. The Lightning, however, was a bit more tricky and a lot less robust. At the moment the ailerons are on a Y-lead but I could easily put the two servos on seperate channels and, if I could figure how to do it, have both ailerons raise on approach to slow it down a bit. Can anyone help with the Tx programming to acheive this?

Thanks in advance, David

Thread: Any suggestions?..
06/08/2018 21:22:31

Thanks for the replies, chaps. Simon, the Hawk looks good and gets good reviews but I really can't find it as airframe only, and I want to find a home for the Lander 68mm fan that was left surrounded by a pile foam when the Panther quit this mortal coil.

Kevin, just shows that one should look at the specs more carefully before jumping to conclusions! For the West Wings Hawker Hunter I saw Wemotec 480 mini fan, cobalt motor and nicads and assumed it used a tiny 30mm fan. I now know the error of my ways and that the Lander fan is the man for the job. The plan is to see what's available at the NATs and either get the Hunter there or mail order one when I get back home. Their Hawk looks good too.

David

04/08/2018 18:03:45

Cheers Piers (!!), now you mention it, I do remember seeing a thread on the forum a week or so back. The Sabre would do nicely and I'm not averse to a bit of building. I thought I might have a mooch around the trade stands at the NATs and if there is nothing there the TN Sabre is the way to go. Still fancy a Hunter so might have a go at an own design when I see how Tony does it.

Thanks.

David

04/08/2018 09:56:17

Morning gents, I had the misfortune to black bag my Lander Panther on Tuesday. Flew through the sun and........Can't find anyone who stocks the airframes so am looking for something suitable for a 68mm fan. Have looked on Aerofred and Outerzone for plans but drawn a blank. Fancy a Hunter, F86, Gnat, Hawk or suchlike. Thought about the West Wings Hunter and scaling it up or even going own design from a three view. I am but an averagely competent pilot so nothing too scary, any thoughts?

Thanks,

David

Thread: Exess fuel
17/07/2018 12:55:47

Who are you calling a pro leccy drip??????😜

Thread: Tom Neil
13/07/2018 08:58:05

RIP and thank you

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Revoc
CML
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us