By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete Collins

Here is a list of all the postings Pete Collins has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Rather Fast
07/04/2020 13:54:01

WE haven't had a supersonic RC model yet but I think some of the DS people are getting close!

Thread: F3K size receiver
31/03/2020 11:04:36

Tim

I've been using the Frsky receivers for ages now. Mainly due to the high cost of Futaba FASST Rxs I haven't had a glitch with them! Even Futaba recognised that their Rxs were too expensive they quickly brought out an alternative (cheaper) protocol. What I can't understand is - if FRSKY can build a FASST Rx at a decent price, why can't Futaba?

Thread: all good things eventually come to an end !
25/02/2020 10:12:07

I may be wrong - memory is a bit hazy, but I think the Coventry & District MAC flew from there for a short while back in the '60s. We had a couple of members who worked at Ansty and they managed to arrange it when the club were short of a field. I don't know how the security clearance worked, but we were a fairly small club back then and perhaps things were a bit more lax back in pre-history! I have fond memories of flying from there with a Goldberg Mini Falcon using single channel RC with a rubber powered escapement driving strip ailerons.

Thread: Wing wash on B Buckle Super scorpion
02/02/2020 10:02:49

Firstly, if the trailing edge rises toward the tip that's washout. Leading edge rising ,or trailing edge falling would be washin. Washin would be a definite no go but a bit of washout is no problem provided that it's equal on both wings. If not then you're going to have to get it out. To do that hold the wing in a stream of steam from a kettle (Don't burn yourself!) and when it's good and damp. pin the wing down flat on a board and leave it to dry for a few days. With a bad warp you sometimes need to pack the wing a little to twist it the opposite way so that it springs back to straight when released. With a warp that's been there a long time you may need to try couple of times before you succeed. Also, with silk and dope covering you can sometimes pull a twist either in or out during the covering stage but you're better to try to loose the warp before covering if you can.

Thread: Folland Gnat
11/01/2020 10:09:29

That's quite a big airframe. It will have to be light, which means it will fly quite slowly. That will probably be scale, but not the way EDF models are usually set up. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Thread: Dog harassment while flying!
11/01/2020 09:46:57

I had a similar problem on one occasion and the animal actually pissed up my leg! The owner Just turned his back and pretended he hadn't noticed - the same technique they use when the dog 'squats' and hey don't want to clean up after it. I have no problem with dogs, and most owners are polite and considerate, but some I could happily string up! And yes I know we have inconsiderate model fliers too - I would string them up to the next tree.

Thread: Blohm Und Voss BV141
08/01/2020 10:08:03

I built a free flight one sometime in the last century and I even made it fly a couple of times. I remember, it was very tricky to get a good launch since you can't hold it on its c of g. Sorry, no pix I'm afraid.

Thread: AND finally.....the 'Mini Jet' TSR2
06/01/2020 10:52:00

Hi Tony,

If you don't mind me asking, What are the sizes of the two versions?

Pete

Thread: Tufcote / Furniglass
03/01/2020 22:43:56

I remember being told many years ago that Tufcoat (Which, I believe, was just re-badged furniglass) was actually a Urea Formaldehyde resin! I don't know if this helps (or even how accurate it is - as I can't remember the source) but, for what its worth, it may be a help. I do remember it as being very hard wearing and totally fuel proof!

Thread: RCM&E Vector March 2016 free plan
14/11/2019 10:18:13

Nice to see it in its natural element! Well Done.

Thread: How to remove glue from ARTF before recovering....
13/11/2019 09:24:39

If acetone doesn't do it then try meths. Lots of these things are alcohol solvent.

11/11/2019 22:20:07

Looking good!

10/11/2019 10:59:40

Don't know how that sneaky wink got in there!

10/11/2019 10:58:29

Hi Paulo

Glad to hear the maiden went well. Re your hard grass - It might be worth using a trick that we used to do with vintage model tailskids. Take a piece of thin piano wire about 2 or 3 inches long. Bend it to the profile of the skid and bend the ends up vertically (about 1/4" then give it a smear of epoxy and push the ends into your skid. Et voila - a steel tipped skid. much more resilient to being ground away during landings!

Thread: How many flyable aircraft do you have ?
06/11/2019 10:48:29

Let's put it this way - I have 48 model memories in my Tx and there are only a couple of spare ones left. I have models suspended from the living room ceiling (very understanding wife), stored in the shed (mostly waiting for repair/servicing) plus a loft full. All this does not include quite a few unbuilt kits or a headful of ideas for models I want to build in the future - if I live long enough! You can't have too many model aircraft.

Thread: Fairey Gannet
27/10/2019 10:57:42

Re the control line version mentioned earlier. I remember, as a kid, drooling over it as it hung in the window of one of our local model shops. Anyone remember having those.

07/10/2019 09:22:14

I just used a razor plane and sandpaper block too. It doesn't take too long if you mark out the wing first to show the parts to be removed. The belt sander sounds as if it might save some time but it would be very easy to take off a little too much wood. Be difficult to put it back on! Remember, you should be using pretty light wood for the wing.

05/10/2019 02:53:27

Hi RC Flyer

Nice to know that the Vector hasn't vanished and that people are still interested. The prototype is in need of a little restoration now. I managed to prove that if you slow it down enough on the glide whilst turning then it will tip stall like any other model (Perhaps I'd got a bit complacent) - so now I have to build a new fuselage! It had become one of my favourite models so I will do it, I just have to get some other projects out of the way first. Lots of luck with yours.

03/10/2019 18:17:35

Yes - listen to Paulo. The vector is a good flyer and always turns heads at the flying field but, I think it would definitely struggle with that motor.

17/09/2019 10:22:00

Mine was built about a century ago and the power system consists of am MFA Mini Olympus geared/brushed motor (Anyone remember those?) with a six cell pack of AAA Nimh's. Amazingly it still flies but those batteries do make it unnecessarily heavy. I keep intending to re engine it with modern gear but I have the 'around to it' problem! I would say that any outrunner that draws around 100 - 150 watts would be more than ample and you want to be using a 2 or 3 cell Lipo of about 850 mAh. (Add lightness and improve flight).

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us