By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plummet

Here is a list of all the postings Plummet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Soldering!
08/05/2020 16:43:59

Some wire is coated with a varnish. It needs to be carefully scraped off. Sometimes it can be burnt off in a flame.

This is often because inside a motor or transformer you need to get a lot of turns of the wire into a small space, so ordinary insulation would take up a lot of space, and also impede heat escaping.  The varnish provides enough insulation to allow the windings to touch each other without short circuiting.

Hope this helps.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 08/05/2020 16:51:29

Thread: Are our wings over-engineered?
04/05/2020 16:42:57
Posted by kc on 04/05/2020 16:10:44:

... Plummet was right ...

Edited By kc on 04/05/2020 16:15:24

Ooooh gosh. I must show that to my wife.

Plummet

04/05/2020 16:03:42
Posted by kc on 04/05/2020 15:50:26:

Actually Plummet the same author JE Gordon wrote 2 excellent books -The New Science of Strong Material or why you dont fall through the floor and also Structures or Why things dont fall down. Both very readable and worthwhile. Penguin Science paperback. Should be in any library.

Thanks KC. I have both books - somewhere.

Plummet

04/05/2020 15:23:54

When I was in education - receiving it that is - we had a Mechanical Engineering lecturer who recommended a book called "The new science of strong materials". Its subtitle was "Or why we don't fall through the floor."

I still have the copy I bought - somewhere!

It discussed why wood is so strong, why fibreglass and resin is so useful and so on.

There are two aviation related bits that I hazily remember. One related to problems with preparation methods for glue joints which failed on the Mosquito. However, relevant to this thread was a discussion about the problems that Fokker (I think it was) had developing one of their WW1 aircraft. The wings were falling off, and the test pilots were then unavailable to answer questions. So they strengthened the wing spars and tried again. Things did not improve, in fact it seemed to make the problem worse. It was eventually realised that the problem was due to the effective centre of lift moving and this causing the wings to twist and disintegrate around the spar. Making the spar weaker and more flexible solved the problem.

Now where did I safely store that book?

Plummet

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
21/03/2020 17:13:22

I saw on the web that in Leeds there were huge queues at the Costco cash and carry. The queues stretched round the car park - the queue was to GET IN!

Plummet

17/03/2020 15:56:26
Posted by john stones 1 on 17/03/2020 15:28:57:
The cream will rise to the top Don, the perception of who the cream are may change though.

Funny - I have heard another similar expression used in political circles. The biggest ---- shall we say lumps always float to the top.

Plummet

14/03/2020 14:40:20
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 14/03/2020 13:05:04:

Can the virus be passed on by farting?

There was an article in the New Scientist magazine a couple of weeks ago discussing Chinese reactions to Covid 19.

It said that there were now many infra red cameras in airports and railway stations to look for people who were too warm. It said that they were very sensitive - to the extent that they could detect the extra warmth resulting from - shall we say - fundamental gaseous emissions.

Plummet

11/03/2020 09:51:02
Posted by Doc Marten on 10/03/2020 22:29:13:
When it decomposed it turned to ammonia and was used for fixing the dye.

I always understood that the urine/ammonia acted as a bleach. And don't forget the stuff used to tan leather...

Plummet

09/03/2020 15:57:29
Posted by paul d on 09/03/2020 13:13:07:

My thoughts exactly Jon, my local has also sold out of dry pasta, some people must have very bland diets.

Careful. Marco Polo is said to have seen noodles in China, and introduced Italy to pasta. We all know what has happened in China. Now Italy is having problems. Do we need to avoid noodles and pasta?

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 09/03/2020 15:58:57

Thread: I learned from that.
02/03/2020 16:12:51

Before I retired I used to work in a University. Part of my job was to "help" with some of the teaching. Since I generally had more experience with the topic than the actual lecturer I also prepared a lot of the course materials.

When the students moaned about things I would often reply "You learn by your mistakes. It is our job to get you to make as many mistakes as possible."

Plummet

Thread: Can Superphatic glue go off?
14/01/2020 11:50:14

Re. an early comment about putting the glue in the fridge ...

The SuperPhatic glue bottle does say "Do not freeze" on the label. so the fridge would be a bad idea.

Yes I do know that the post was retracted. as the advice was for CA glues.

Plummet

Thread: Another plant that needs identifying.
07/01/2020 18:16:35

... and of course, any trees or shrubs that you plant run the risk of being model magnets.

Plummet

07/01/2020 13:38:20
Posted by Erfolg on 07/01/2020 12:22:53:

My next issue will be a small tree that is on its last legs, which I will try and identify with a view of replacing like foe like.

A word of warning. It is often advised that you do NOT plant a similar plant to one that has been removed, especially when it was poorly. It could just mean that the new plant gets the same disease, or at best, is planted into soil that has already been depleted of just the nutrients it especially needs.

Plummet

06/01/2020 16:49:04

Have a look at

**LINK**

What do you think?

Plummet

Thread: Un-equal movement
22/12/2019 17:13:35

May I ask a dumb question ...

The servos are identical aren't they? The same make and model, and bought together?

Plummet

Thread: Foam Model Repair
14/11/2019 14:23:26

I have no experience with it, but just the other day I saw a video on You Tube of a bloke making a foam cored wing using canned expanding foam.

Is there any way you could create a mould or skin to enclose the space to be filled and to then inject some foam. As the foam expands, you would need to have bleed holes to allow excess foam to escape.

Plummet

Thread: Cyano Depron Gotcha
14/11/2019 11:26:03

I did an experiment last night.

I glued four scraps of balsa onto a scrap of depron.

1. Aliphatic glue on the face of the depron.

2. Superphatic onto the face of the depron.

3. Aliphatic onto the edge of the depron.

4. Superphatic onto the edge of the depron.

This morning three of the joints seem good - one failed easily. This was number 1.

OK?

Plummet

13/11/2019 16:56:20
Posted by Don Fry on 13/11/2019 15:53:45:

SuperPhatic is good. I've tried it.

Does plain common or garden aliphatic not work as well.

My research told me that aliphatic was not good - but ...

Does it depend upon gluing to a cut edge? I wonder if the coating that protected the depron from the cyano might also stop aliphatic from sticking to the surface of depron. I feel a bit of experimentation coming on.

Plummet

13/11/2019 15:15:04
Posted by Outrunner on 13/11/2019 14:39:56:

Plummet. Have you tried Uhu Por?Safe on most things and will stick most things. Much lighter than epoxy and no mixing.

Phil.

Yes. Everything gets covered in strings of glue!

Plummet

13/11/2019 14:35:05

I am building a small and lightweight wing. I had seen the suggestion that you could use depron instead of balsa for the wing ribs. I researched into what glue to use to join depron and balsa, and I got the answers - epoxy or foam safe cyano.

I do not like using cyano, but plumped to use it in this case. I found my cyano, but was not sure if it was foam safe. So I did a test. I glued scraps of balsa and depron together and waited to see the result. Success! The joint held and the depron seemed fine.

So I start attaching the spars to the ribs. It seemed OK to start with, but then the depron around the spar slots starts distorting. The cyano was attacking the depron.

My test piece had the balsa glued onto the face of the depron. All that I can deduce is that there is a surface coating on the depron that protects it from the cyano. That coating is not on the cut edges, and so the cyano attacks it there.

I have now used epoxy!

Plummet

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!