By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Plummet

Here is a list of all the postings Plummet has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Health Checks - for the Ladies and the men
21/08/2019 20:19:52

Following the thread on prostate checks I would like to kick off a new, parallel thread.

A few weeks ago my wife, aka Flappit, had a routine mammogram. A few days later she was called into the hospital for investigations. They had found a couple of tiny ( < 1cm ) tumours in her breast, and she was given another mammogram, ultrasound exam, and biopsies were taken. A week later the biopsies were analysed, and she needed treatment.

There was a cancellation the next week, so she went in, had the op, and came away the same day.

She was sore, but remarkably well considering she had a full general anesthetic.

Today, a couple of weeks later, we returned to the hospital for the dressings to be removed, and to be given the pathology results. They indicated that the op had been totally successful, and there is a very good chance that all is well for the future.

On the day after the op, a male friend of ours told us that he needed a mammogram. We have since heard that he has nothing to worry about, but we did learn that 1 in 10 breast cancer cases are in men!

SO...

Gentlemen. Have your prostate exams.

Ladies and Gentlemen. Do have mammograms if called in for them. They can be life savers.

Plummet

Thread: Prostate Cancer
21/08/2019 19:33:25

Another vote for encouraging the tests and exams. Both my Father and Grandfather had bad problems from the prostate. I was tested over the winter and was all clear.

However, this afternoon we came back from the hospital after getting the results of another operation. All was as good as it could be.

A few weeks ago my wife, aka Flappit, had a mammogram and they found a couple of tiny tumours. The good old NHS has been marvellous, she had the op, and today she had the dressings off and got the pathology results. The op had gone well and everything is as good as it can be.

So, get your prostate exams and encourage folk to go for their mammograms.

I will start another thread so that Ms. Aeromodelers might be encouraged.

Plummet

Thread: LMA ELVINGTON POSTPONED
10/08/2019 17:35:35

Yes. I took the opportunity, just after I had posted, to nip down to the allotment before it started raining. What is the saying? Human plans are a chance for the gods to have a laugh?

(I am saying that and I an an atheist?)

I dried off.

So rain on and off all afternoon. It would not have been fun on the flightline if the event had gone ahead.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 10/08/2019 17:35:55

10/08/2019 10:22:41

Well looking from my window 30ish miles from Elvington it looks like the right decision. Its overcast and gusty with the prospect of it getting worse.

Plummet

Thread: Moon landing
20/07/2019 16:38:32

devil

Of course the whole thing would have been a lot harder if trees grew on the moon.

Plummet

Thread: Eddy Currents
11/07/2019 11:53:37

A related topic is "Earth Loops". If you have a number of mains powered thingies connected together, for instance an amplifier, a tuner, and a CD player and they are all connected to the earth through the mains leads you can get a mains hum because there can be a complete loop of earth cables and ground leads. This can pick up any oscillating magnetic fields and be heard on the speakers. (Using earth in mains powered equipment seems to have gone out of fashion though.)

Plummet

Thread: Beth's off.....
30/05/2019 12:10:08

Congrats Beth,

If a boy - Finn

Else perhaps Olivia as in Olivia deHaviland.

Ami

Charlie (or Charli), India, Juliette, Mike, Oscar, Romeo or Victor could be registered if Papa agrees?

Plummet (not a suggestion!)

Thread: In The Newsagents ...
22/05/2019 00:10:51
Posted by Percy Verance on 21/05/2019 22:04:38:

I never have a problem Capt. I simply pick mine up off my doormat each month.........

Using a litter picker to save my back!

Plummet

Thread: Suitable caption?
15/05/2019 18:08:02

Now who said it is good weather for trainers to take to the air?

Plummet

13/05/2019 16:50:05

Sore and soarer.

Plummet

12/05/2019 19:17:30

Accident prone

Plummet

Thread: Hex Drivers
01/05/2019 15:43:04

Another vote for Modelfixings.

But I have found that the Aldi or Lidl special buy tools seem to be good and good value.

Try a good local engineers supplies merchant.

Plummet

Thread: Making wheels
24/04/2019 10:23:18

I made some wheels for a smallish model by sandwiching some thin fibreglass between balsa sheet . I drilled out the centre and inserted a bit of brass tube. I mounted it on some threaded rod and spun it in a drill while sanding it to shape. I made a groove around the rim to take the tyre. I got a length of circular section neoprene sealing strip, cut a suitable length of it, and butt glued it with cyno to make a circular tyre.

Plummet

Thread: Russian Drone - Horrific
31/03/2019 19:20:25

From the school of "What could possibly go wrong"

**LINK**

Plummet

Thread: Fuse
30/03/2019 18:27:44

David,

At the top of the fuselage plan sheet there is the text "Single wing joiner of 10 swg wire in 4 1/2" long drinking straw wrapped in tissue.

Then on the wings part of the plan of the centre section it shows the drinking straw in position against the top spa. The rib section shows 6 ribs with a hole for the straw.

The drinking straw is not "structural" it just acts as a guide to make sure that the wire joiner goes into the correct position through the holes in the ribs.

The old drinking straws were made of waxed paper, and would be difficult to glue, so wraping them in tissue would make them gluable, while the straw would resist the glue, and stop the wire being glued in as well.

It suggests that you build the entire centre section in one piece so that it is nice and straight, and then carefully cut it in two halves (remembering not to knacker the scalpel blade by trying to cut the wire as well).

Does this make sense?

Nowadays a piece of carbon fibre tube might be a better bet.

Plummet

Edited By Plummet on 30/03/2019 18:28:59

27/03/2019 22:26:30

Look at the indoor electric models. They are ultra light, but they have full house radio control. All you want is a single channel that activates the dethermaliser. Their receivers are ultra light, as are their servos.. Is this the way to go?

Plummet

27/03/2019 15:33:00

Another thought comes to my mind ...

It is a good idea to make sure that a burning fuse does not make contact with tissue and dope covering.

One of the constituents of dope is nitro-celulose, which is chemically the same as guncotton or the flashpaper magicians use.

Otherwise the results might be spectacular.

Plummet

26/03/2019 13:31:10
Posted by david miles 7 on 21/03/2019 15:00:12:

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post.

I have just downloaded the plans for a Frog Diana 36 inch wingspan glider. I notice that there is a "string fuse" at the end of the fin. Can anyone tell me what it is for? This is my first attempt at building a model glider!

Thanks for any help.

David Miles.

Just for completeness, the original question asked what is a "string fuse". I have skimmed through the answers and I don't think (I could be wrong - if so, sorry) that anyone has answered this question.

The string fuse is a piece of string that will smoulder, without going out, and that will burn at a fairly predictable rate. For a dethermaliser the tailplane is held down with a rubber band. The string fuse is lodged in between the strands of the rubber band and it is lit before the flight.

It smoulders, and when the burning part reaches the rubber band it breaks the band, and another rubber band pulls the tailplane up to an angle where the glider stalls and decends quickly.

When I was a kid I used to make string fuse by dissolving some saltpetre (potassium nitrate) in water, and then soaking cotton string in the solution. Take out the string and let it dry.

When you light the string it may burn, but if you blow out the flame it will continue to smoulder.

(The saltpetre reacts to the heat from the burning string by breaking down and releasing oxygen. This helps to prevent the smouldering going out. Saltpetre is used in gunpowder for the same purpose, so you may get funny looks if you try to buy it nowadays.)

The string should burn at a steady rate. Test a piece of it to calibrate how long a piece you need.

Plummet

Thread: Growing chillies from seed
17/03/2019 17:53:04

If I rig an electric fence around my plot then it is more likely that it would be to deter (cook?) the sweet little (I don't think) bunny rabbits with which I have to attempt to share my vegetables.

Plummet

p.s. I know that I am not the speediest person around, but I can still overtake one of the onions.

Edited By Plummet on 17/03/2019 17:53:31

17/03/2019 16:39:59

Off topic ... ish ...

I sent away for some special unusual onions. (Variously known as Tree, Egyptian, or Walking Onions.)

The company were selling one onion plant, but they promised to send four, so that there was a good chance that one would survive. When they arrived there were not four but seven.

I planted them all, and six out of the seven are growing.

laugh

Plummet

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us