By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mark Agate

Here is a list of all the postings Mark Agate has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
10/07/2018 10:00:51

What do you call a BEC that makes a noise like a car horn if the input voltage is low?

A Tooting Bec.

Thread: What percentage of pilots fly Mode 1 in the UK?
04/07/2018 10:29:26

Survey results from 2010: **LINK**

Thread: Throttle cut button - why the bad press?
02/05/2018 13:41:10

Once your system is armed, it's important that you can throttle down to minimum then throttle back up without having to re-arm, and expect the motor to restart. If it latched into the off state during flight you could have an unintended deadstick situation.
So now you've landed: you walk over to the plane and bend over to pick it up. As you do so, your throttle stick gets knocked, kicking the motor back into life just as your hand goes through the propeller arc. We are not as many steps away from an accident as we would like to be!
It's important to re-engage the throttle cut switch before retrieving the model. Unfortunately this is another conscious step required to ensure safety. An alternative solution which I have tried is to make the motor spin at idle speed as soon as the throttle cut is disengaged, so it acts more like an IC engine (I think I'm much less likely to stick my hand into the arc of a prop if it's already spinning). There is a slightly increased risk of accident if the switch has been left in the wrong state when the system is energised, though I think almost all ESCs won't start immediately in this situation.

Thread: Transmitter Transplant
25/03/2018 21:20:29

My Xmas project was conversion of a vintage 1970s transmitter radio up to 2.4GHz operation, and for some reason I decided it had to be an American one. I only finished it about 2 weeks ago, and flew with it for the first time today. It worked perfectly with plenty of range.
The donor system was a Walkera Devo 7, and it turned out to be quite a bit more work than I envisaged. The stick units didn't give enough voltage swing to calibrate the encoder, so I had to replace the original stick pots with the much smaller ones from the Devo transmitter. Mechanically this was quite a challenge, but at least I have the full 21st-century transmitter functionality available to me. If I'd kept the original encoder and plumbed in a 2.4GHz RF module, I wouldn't even have servo reversing!

600.jpg470.jpg

Thread: Air France A-380
03/10/2017 19:37:35

Obviously caused by collision with a drone.

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
25/09/2017 12:40:46

That sounds like a good tip KiwiKid, I'll do that in the areas where it gets scuffed.
Nice DH-1 too.

25/09/2017 09:52:09

Thanks for the comments about the SPAD. There's some more pictures in:

**LINK**

The Maxford kit is an ARTF, so it's not too taxing in a modelling sense; it's just that it's rather big (68" span, total weight inc batteries 6.4kg).
The grill at the front was not attached squarely as supplied, so I made a new one out of lolly sticks! The covering is shiny plastic film which is also a bit disappointing, hence my decision to add matt acrylic paint. I'm pleased with how it looks, though the paint doesn't adhere to the film very well (I should have roughened it first), so it's a bit prone to hangar rash.

24/09/2017 20:44:48

Maxford USA SPAD XIII with Tamiya acrylic paintjob, maidened this morning.

2017-09-22 13.25.36.jpg

Thread: Mike Trew ASW 20 (Traplet)
21/09/2017 08:40:29

I bought a sailplane kit from these people over 10 years ago - glad to see they're still going:

**LINK**

Even the bigger one comes within the budget:

**LINK**

Thread: Enemies of RC flight
19/09/2017 09:53:58

Winter (for fair-weather flyers).

Thread: Forum members' new models: Let's see them.
03/04/2017 13:37:56

Ghost Rider 50, David Boddington design from 1974.
My version has straight foam/veneer wings (no dihedral), and 4S 1000kv electric power. Successfully maidened yesterday.2017-04-02 08.52.55.jpg

Thread: How do you make the DECISION.
04/10/2016 09:14:02

If the answers to 1-10 are all negative, but I still really really want it, then I'll have it.
It's just like the way you choose your significant other really.

Thread: Video of the 1971 Pattern World Championship
30/08/2016 20:35:41

Enjoyable 25-minute documentary about the 1971 FAI pattern aerobatics world championship. A shame there's no Brits mentioned, but there's Phil Kraft, Wolfgang Matt and Hanno Prettner.

**LINK**

Thread: hel[ identifying model gliders
30/08/2016 20:20:46

I'm fairly sure the top one is a Simple Sailman, by Bowmans of Ipswich. My first RC model was their Simpleton glider, and the fuselage looks almost identical. The Simpleton had a 72" dihedral wing though, whereas this one has a polyhedral wing. I think the Simple Sailman was a bit bigger than 72".

Thread: DIGIFLEET radio gear
26/06/2016 21:11:31

Hi,
I have 2 PCM receivers and quite a few pairs of Xtals. I wrote the software for all 3 Fleet PCM systems, so can hopefully help fill in the blanks if you don't have an MX7 manual.
They were great systems in their day (much better than the Skyleader system, which used a German micro, and had very slow response times by comparison). However, the RF circuitry can drift with age, and I never did know how to retune it! I always use 2.4GHz now of course...

Please pm me if you want more info - mark@agate.me.uk.

Thread: Two hour electric flights anyone?
18/02/2016 13:36:16

I think people are confusing fuel and batteries here. Lithium batteries do not generate energy, they just store it. It has to be generated elsewhere.

If hydrogen pellets can store energy safely at this kind of density, they'll be an ideal way of powering vehicles of the future, and our models, providing they can be made economically.

18/02/2016 09:05:20

If these guys are right, we'll all be using these soon...

**LINK**

Thread: Sign of the times - funnies
11/09/2015 22:54:09

My quadrotor is tricky to fly because it looks the same forwards as backwards.
I think it's a palin-drone.

01/02/2015 20:23:44

I lost a model in the cloud today.
I downloaded it from the transmitter OK, but I can't remember if I put it in Dropbox or my Google Drive...

Thread: COUNTERFEIT SPEKTRUM
02/07/2014 13:21:30

... Have just found the thread I originally posted my experience in: **LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us