By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for ASH.

Here is a list of all the postings ASH. has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fitting Engine
14/12/2018 15:49:54

Nigel, I wrap white PTFE plumbers tape on the threads and nip it up real tight. It always stays put.
Thread: which is cheaper,IC or ELECTRIC?
29/11/2018 21:45:34

Oh great, lolly sticks to emulate the sound of a piston engine. I've heard of 'fake it to make it'.. but this is taking the biscuit. I once saw an electric model with a plastic dummy glow engine on the front - That's sad.

Edited By ASH. on 29/11/2018 21:53:57

29/11/2018 01:16:43

Another 'Soul' Classic - You've gotta have it to do it.cool

Edited By ASH. on 29/11/2018 01:19:46

28/11/2018 23:03:30

This is all getting a bit deep and esoteric now.. Let's just say 'you've gotta have some Soul to know Soul'.

28/11/2018 20:31:09

'Soul' , Man.. You've either got it or you haven't...wink

28/11/2018 20:13:26

Ooooh... I don't think Jon would agree, nor I on - "they are lumps of various metals hacked into shape". Far from it.

28/11/2018 19:54:41

Hey Buster,

I too, like many others find electric flight boring and soulless.. and it's not about just about power and performance.

IC engines are living breathing things. There's a lot going on in an engine,, mechanical and chemical, and it all has to come together perfectly to work properly - just like in your car. Except, it's done on such a miniature scale. I find that fascinating. When the plane is in the air you're not consciously thinking all this but you know it's happening from the sight smell and sound.

I'm glad I've had such good success and satisfaction with all my engines. This satisfaction I put this down to time and effort spent in learning about them to maximize their full potential. They are not difficult to operate they just require some patience.. At the end of the day it's about how it makes you 'feel' - that's why we fly.

As for MDS (Made for Dead Stick), please don't be too disparaging about the Russian make.. My first glow was an MDS48, ran faultlessly and saw me through my 'A' cert and beyond to the disbelief of club mates.

Lastly, if you've never flown IC or had much luck with them and are strictly electric - then that's okay. You don't know what you are missing.

Edited By ASH. on 28/11/2018 20:06:29

27/11/2018 23:16:28

Not this ol' chestnut again!?

Whatever suits you.. You can do both electric and ic cheaply if you want by keeping the model size small.

I prefer 60 size models and love ic glow engines, esp quality 4st. Some say with batteries it's like buying all your fuel up front,, but 6S are not cheap and don't last for ever. More importantly they are an absolute pain to charge and maintain IMO. Charging a Rx batt is enough for me. Electric models are also more fragile.

I understand when mobility issues affect some of us and it's much simpler, easier to fly electric, or not fly at all - that's perfectly understandable. But until then...

As to this cleaning business, it makes me laugh. Are we afraid to get our hands dirty now!?

Jon, Tim - with your talk of sprays and blue paper you're gonna scare off some of these folk for ever. Just use a couple of wet wipes- (Tesco Multi-Surface lemon does the job well).

Thread: Best First Three Point Undercarriage
26/11/2018 00:14:04

Neil, the build quality on the Seagull PC-9 (40-46) is superb. I could find no fault with it even with my highly 'critical eye'.

It is traditionally built using good wood and the covering is Oracover in an attractive/ visible colour scheme. Put a good 46 - 55 2 s/t and it will do all that you want. It has a thick semi-symetrical wing section so you can fly it like a basic trainer or a full on aerobat. A friend flew his with a OS 46LA (light engine) and could do knife-edge figure 8's in the vertical a few feet off the ground.

It comes with no vices, no tip stall. It will take your flying to another level - you won't be disappointed. It looks really neat landing on the mains then slowly bringing the nose down - just like the full-size heavy jets. Change the foam wheels for slightly larger rubbers and strenghten in all right places- ESP landing gear blocks via wing root. I used 30min 2 ton epoxy mixed with a little milled fibreglass (Great Planes). And seal all film edges inc trim with clearcoat and it will stay in 'showroom condition'.

Mine came out at 3kg AUW with Irvine 53, 15gm in starboard wing and 15gm on tail to have most rearward CG. I do overdo it when it comes to beefying up. Mine was built like a Tank. It survived many little mishaps.

Once a main wheel caught some undergrowth on strip threshold spun it on it's side, it then proceeded to cartwheel down the strip finally rising 10ft in the air and landing on it's back. Not a scratch. Gave us all had a good laugh. Lesson learnt- keep eyes on wheels when landing!

Yes, I do miss tricycle gear - they're great fun.

24/11/2018 07:59:32

Seagull PC-9.
Good quality, Excellent flyer.
Thread: Adding Oil
28/10/2018 14:04:47

Roger, you're in a dilemma now.. You've committed to the Castor and now you hear all these scare stories. Even I'm buying into it!
Your engine will be fine no matter what lubes it. It is a 2 stroke after all.
Like you, I hate wastage.
27/10/2018 20:03:05

Then, to play it safe and have no worries -order a litre of quality Castor oil from Model Technics. It's also the cheapest option.

27/10/2018 19:30:52

Good Castor oil is available from Model Technics. Could be ordered to a local model shop if they sell their fuel.

Not all oils mix with Methanol.

Edited By ASH. on 27/10/2018 19:37:47

27/10/2018 19:27:32

Roger, it depends on what synthetic oil is already in the fuel. It could be ML70 or Klotz (US,very expensive). Both are available over here. Or you could just top up with a few % castor. I have no experience with steel pistons and liners but I would just run it with the fuel you have keeping an eye on the temp and smell. Is the engine run in?

Thread: Laser Engines - Technical questions
15/10/2018 22:20:59

The easiest way to prevent or stop any kind of syphoning is to loop the carb line up over the engine mount first.
I do that with all installs - works without fail.
I don't prescribe to "the carb line has to be short as possible".
Thread: Foamies for beginners?
06/10/2018 21:56:20
Little birds don't fly too well in the wind and in strong wind they don't fly at all.

Light foaamies just float about.. so unlike a real plane! It's not real flying.

Edited By ASH. on 06/10/2018 21:59:59

Thread: Model flying photos you're proud of
05/10/2018 22:07:43

Nice fleet Ron, bit expensive for 'combat flying'!!

05/10/2018 20:51:36

Excellent photos chaps. I do like you're first one Ron - 'emergency landing in a cornfield'. What camera are you using? And what's the model?

The Extra in second pic looks so sorry for itself.

Ultymate, your photos are excellent, esp like the Camel and Monocoupe

For me, photography is all about light and composure.

Edited By ASH. on 05/10/2018 20:52:50

Thread: Second plane advice
04/10/2018 00:23:49

Kevin, if you want to stick with a foam model for the time being and want a low winger, then, have a look at the Acro Wot Foamie. On low rates it should do you fine as a step up from a trainer.

Thread: Hobby King
03/10/2018 19:32:51

I bought a brand new Futaba 8FG Super on the internet as they were then discontinued and not available in the shops. I had done my research and the 14CH set ticked all the boxes and covered all my needs.

However, once in my hand I hated it. The ergonomics did not feel right, it was slim and slippery and the menu system was naff. I sold it at quite a loss and bought a second hand 12FG. It is beautiful.

A Tx has to feel right in your hands in terms of balance, weight and size.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us