By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Doug Campbell

Here is a list of all the postings Doug Campbell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Return of the SMA
23/09/2020 18:52:39

Thank you David.

I think this will be as formalised as it gets, it was always known for its non members.

maybe after the fly in things might change.

Doug

23/09/2020 13:02:38
Posted by Robin Colbourne on 22/09/2020 20:40:58:

Here's an April '91 Radio Modeller review by Dereck Woodward of the Mini Flying Machine, copied from FMK's Facebook page.

Link here: Mini Flying Machine - Kit Review

Mini Flying Machine - Kit review

I bought one of the original kits at the Nats swapmeet last year. reduced to £10, nobody wanted it. Will have to get it built.

Back to the meeting - It will probably be on a Friday, will look at a suitable date soon. Any suggestions welcome.

Doug

22/09/2020 16:33:41

If you need any inspiration for models the plans service has many designs. If you want a kit FMK are very good

https://fmk-models.com/radio-control-model-aircraft-kits-2-c.asp

and Greyfish on ebay does some ready build ready to cover models at a good price

22/09/2020 16:26:25

Thanks for the link, I couldn't find anything on the web. I remember Gray was a big enthusiast along with Dereck Woodward.

It looks like 2cc or .12cu is a sensible limit. It is small model association  after all. If anyone wants to organise a medium model size day then go ahead

Doug

Edited By Doug Campbell on 22/09/2020 16:30:11

22/09/2020 14:53:42

It did have rules on engine size, although looking at some old photos it could have been .12 ci for r/c. A few models have OS10 and SC12s in them. No other rules though.

DOug

22/09/2020 12:17:12

Those of you who flew in the eighties might remember the SMA and its non members. The SMA events at Old Warden were a great success with lots of fun with the small and inexpensive models.

I have been approached regularly by modellers who would like to have another get together on the same lines. It will probably be late spring next year at Buckminster in the week. (covid permitting) Guidelines will be similar to before:

Radio and free flight - 049 glow and 1.5cc max diesels. Electric 100 watt max

Control line - 09 glows and 2.5cc diesel max

I would appreciate it if you could post if interested. If enough support I will organise it.

Doug

Thread: Laser Engines development.
06/07/2020 15:23:36
Posted by Doc Marten on 06/07/2020 14:06:56:
Posted by Doug Campbell on 06/07/2020 14:03:44:

None of those. A return to smaller engines please

Jon has already stated with his reasons why this is a non starter I'm afraid.

Must have missed that what did he say? I realise that economically they would cost as much as a larger engine but I would pay that for a 30 or 40 size Lazer

Thread: Diesel anybody?
06/07/2020 15:20:12
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 06/07/2020 14:09:12:
Posted by Cuban8 on 06/07/2020 13:24:48:

On the subject of oily and smelly diesel exhaust residues..............is there any reason why synthetic oil cannot replace the castor that all commercial diesel fuels seem to contain - and how about using a much more refined and cleaner burning lamp oil in the fuel that's advertised as a replacement for use in smelly old green house heaters running on paraffin?

A fundamental engineering reason for sticking with the old familiar brew, or is it just a case of "we've always done it that way"?

Edited By Cuban8 on 06/07/2020 13:25:27

Most 'synthetic' oils are not really synthetic, in way of being an 'artificial' lubricant. They are still made from crude oil, which comes out of the ground. But the crude oil, rather than being broken down to the required 'thinness' is broken down fully and then rebuilt, equals 'synthesised'..

As a result they don't mix well in the high ratios needed with the other constituents of diesel fuel. Which is why such fuels, if they use any at all, only use a small proportion, the rest being vegetable oil.

This is not true. Automotive turbo diesel fully synthetic mixes perfectly at 15% with white spirit and ether

Thread: Laser Engines development.
06/07/2020 14:03:44

None of those. A return to smaller engines please

Thread: Diesel anybody?
06/07/2020 14:00:25

I have used mineral oils, synthetic oils, and also white spirit. Fortunately with all these variations the diesel perfume lingers for days in the car to remind you of the flying session you had.

Thread: Personal Injuries.
19/05/2020 19:00:22

Unfortunately only the rich can afford to get justice in this country, but good luck and I hope your son makes a speedy and full recovery.

Thread: Has anyone heard from Jeff2Wings ?
15/05/2020 20:26:09

When it was quiet at work I used to try and find topics that Percy hadn’t posted on. It used to pass a lot of time, he had an opinion on everything.

Thread: Fuels Paradise
16/03/2020 16:15:52

Using duraglo I have no coking or varnish build up. The internals are always clean and I get very long engine life. In my fourstrokes I use model technical special 4 stroke with even more castor and again no coking or varnish. I'll stick with what works for me thanks.

I am not averse to trying new lubrication ideas. My ED by West runs happily on turbo diesel synthetic as recommended by Weston, and my Laser 80 diesel is happy on sae 50 mineral oil

16/03/2020 12:28:49

I have run castor, synthetic, and castor/synthetic mix in model engines and racing two stroke motorcycles. The only cases I had of lubrication failure or damage was when I used solely synthetic oil. I think they both have there own advantages and disadvantages. This is why I settled on duraglo  and have used it for years without any problems, as have many others. What gives you the right to try and get it discontinued?

Edited By Doug Campbell on 16/03/2020 12:29:43

Thread: Insanity seems to be setting in
15/03/2020 14:54:05

Quite a clear explanation of the governments strategy here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6tTwxzCi8&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3WQbuSMbEDzjn5VHv-Q7BBRPSEJ0jm41hBHqzXFP3QaNmUwrqk3zlY3FI

Thread: CAA ID number discussion
21/02/2020 12:43:42

Still no sign of my operator ID. Should it have arrived by today?

Thread: Irvine .53 / Ugly Stik
14/09/2019 09:36:00

I have a 60" stick with a Super Tigre 51 in the nose with a 12x6 prop. Ample power for any acrobatics, not unlimited vertical but more than enough for sport flying. So 60 inch span is my recommendation.

Doug

Thread: One for the single channel fans
05/09/2019 22:56:36

I am the very lucky chap that Pete built the Mule for. It is still in regular use, currently in a Sharkface and gives me a huge smile every time I fly it. Thanks Pete.

Thread: August Nationals 2019
27/08/2019 16:54:02

There was enough advance notices and warnings not to arrive before 5.30 so no complaints there. I arrived at seven, got near where I wanted to be and set up by eight. Perfect. My only moan would be the miserable toilet/shower attendant continually complaining about wet floors but not stopping up the loo roll and paper towels.

Still, one of the best nats ever

Thread: Finding Models
27/07/2019 19:09:52

What is to land out? Our planes land. Full stop.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!