By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike T

Here is a list of all the postings Mike T has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Here we go again
07/12/2016 00:03:52

What grinds my gears is this. When the skateboard craze started, lots of damage was caused to public paths, kerbs, balustrades, steps, etc.

Did Councils ban skateboards? Like hell they did - they went out and spent public money constructing skateboard parks!

Well what about providing drone parks? (or any-type-of-model-aircraft parks!)

Perhaps we should all be even more delinquent?!

Thread: going back to glow
06/12/2016 23:55:21

It's been suggested that most people convert to electric and/or petrol for reasons of convenience and/or economy.

They may be factors, but for me the biggest drawback with glow is the mess. It's appalling. I've put up with it for years (still do) because it offers good power to weight, but with electrics you can fly out of the boot of your car (in the cold months) and with petrol, you can fly on a sip of petrol with nothing much more that some sooty spots to wipe up.

The ideal ic engine for the modern era is a fourstroke that runs on petrol with a compact electronic ign. system (or an OS G5 plug) with a petrol-optimised carb. So, Jon - get to it!!! cheeky

And as for people who don't like the smell of diesel!! Well they should be busted to the ranks and drummed out of the service!!

(I keep a half-pint in the workshop for a whifff every now and then. I think the ether must have evaporated as it doesn't have quite the same effect as it used to...)

Thread: indoor model planes
06/12/2016 22:56:54

yes

Thread: What can I replace my Wot4 Foam-E with?
06/12/2016 22:55:44

Reading the spec on the back of the latest RCM&E, it seems the 80% balsa version is designed to use precisely the sort of gear that comes out of the Foam-e.

Re the latter - I agree they can be repaired flyable far more (and more often) than a traditional build (and I know whereof I speak). A cunning combination of steam, cyano and brute force is required...

Thread: Finding 3-view and scale dwgs
06/12/2016 22:45:04

The model mags occasionally still do a full-size feature with 3-view, but 'back in the day', Aeromodeller's 'Aircraft Described No xxx' was a regular feature. The 3-views from their archive should still be available - I'm guessing from X-list Plans or Hobbystores.

There used to be a newspaper type (I think fortnightly) magazine which also did 3-views - not sure, but could be 'Aviation News' or 'Air Pictorial'?

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
06/12/2016 22:34:41

Well I placed a UK order for a few odds and ends at 11pm on Sunday and they were delivered at about 11am this morning. Yay! Well done HK!!

However - this was for stuff that I found using their general search tool. I wanted some servos as well but gave up as the specs/dimensions are still screwy.

So maybe not quite safe to go back in the water...

Thread: Book Club
05/12/2016 18:45:44

"Window" - thanks Martin/Tom yes smiley

04/12/2016 23:34:18

It's a 2s 300mah. The whole combo is very efficient and after a squirt to get the Mudbug in the air, it cruises on 1/3 throttle.

Which of the Stevens kits do you have? They're not cheap, but nicely done (and of course you get a plan wink)

Thread: Book Club
04/12/2016 23:30:33
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 04/12/2016 22:29:58:

Erfolg

You mention Windows, it was actually called window, not being picky understandsmiley

I well remember as a lad, me and my mates picking up these strips of foil as we proceeded on the long walk to school in the morning. I had a draw full by the time they stopped using it.

Puzzled. As I understand it, 'window' was dropped over Germany by allied (i.e. British) bombers... (Unless you are German of course, in which case alles ist klar)

Thread: Flair black magic - help please
04/12/2016 23:20:12

The plan I linked was perfectly adequate for the purpose a scaling 2 ribs!!

04/12/2016 22:24:21

**LINK**

You should be able to scale it from that.

Thread: What can I replace my Wot4 Foam-E with?
04/12/2016 22:20:38

I'm on my 4th W4Foam-e. Like Steve, the answer is 'another one'.

Hint to all designers - the 3536/910 motor, 40A ESC and 3s2200 LiPo is probably the most popular power train out there...

04/12/2016 22:15:40

Hi Jim,

I have one of the "10 gram" 1300kv motors from Hobbyking in my Mudbug, with a 7A ESC from Micron. I get 20 mins. on a 7x4 prop. (Micron also do a "10gm." motor.)

**LINK**

**LINK** (XP-7A)

HTH

Thread: Slope Combat Competition .
01/12/2016 18:34:38

Thanks, Steve! yes

Thread: Drone footage Air to Air with a Piper Cub - Excellent!
01/12/2016 18:33:05
Posted by Stephen Jones on 01/12/2016 17:07:50:

Humm...........

The Quad nearly hit the Cub on several occasions.

Ste

Or to put it another way, the quad missed the Cub 100% of the time smiley

Thread: Lost Hangar in Belgium
01/12/2016 18:02:56

Definitely a Proctor in the first pic. (There's a superb Gull in the Brussels museum)

At the end of the line of Tigers (5th pic), there's something that looks very Monocoupe-ish!

Thread: Dismantling a Thunder Tiger 91FS.
30/11/2016 12:36:36

You would know far better than me, Jon, but if the grease can get out, can't the oil get in?

I ask as the last time I changed bearings (RCV91CD) I'm sure I left both seals in place at the front, but removed them on the main.

Thread: Spitfire Test run
29/11/2016 21:40:35

Stirring stuff!

My father worked on them from '43 on. When P7350 was refurbished at DARA St Athan a fair few years ago, the guy in charge, our club chairman at the time, got us some passes to go and see the full-power run-up prior to handing back to the BBMF. From 20 ft away, at full bore, the ground shook...

Thread: Retrospective shed thread
23/11/2016 00:24:45

Shiny floor! Have you power floated it, or is it a thermo-plastic type?

Epic shed, btw. What about a little mezzanine over the main door?

Thread: hobbyking - big changes
22/11/2016 11:25:10

Wazzock: **LINK**

Anyways - AFAIC, HK is still practically useless for the purpose of internet commerce...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us